Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: House on the Hill

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Yahtzee's got the wordsmithing down by far, but when it comes to poetry it's Jim all the way.

It's just unfortunate that Jim will forever be doomed forever to toil away in the shadow of his own greatness, "Borealis".

You shouldn't have peaked so early.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
If I turned off the vids after Yahtzee, I'd never have heard the magnum opus of Miltank. And I would be sadder for the loss.

Also Jim, if you care, you actually made me laugh out loud this week. ;)

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I'm not sure which circle of hell tickling Gannondolf would be, but a more effective recompense for murder I cannot fathom.

Yahzee's poem about moving from horror game to horror game was more subtle, but I think Jim won this one in sure laugh out loudity

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
Imp Emissary said:
hazydawn said:
Maybe it's because I'm tired but I didn't get either of those :/
Yahtzee's is about the Resident Evil games over time, I think, and Jim is just being Jim in Nintendo land. ;D
It's about Silent Hill not Resident Evil.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
I never turn it off after Yahtzee. The latter poems have been a bit 'meh' as of late, but I hope it's just a creative lull, and not because of Jim feeling pissed off or resentment. Today's was pretty pointless, but I have faith that Jim will swing a heavy right hook next week.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Rblade said:
karma9308 said:
Don't worry Jim, I don't turn the video off after Yahtzee. Though I feel that watching says more about me than you.
seconded, I love his twists and turns, taking it weird places. O Jim you're like a teenage girl posting selfies on facebook.
Only sexier, and I feel less creepy enjoying it!

...Waaaaaait.

Zero Serenity said:
Jim got a nice zing in there. I think he is parodying something, but am unsure what. Anyone know?
Ace of Base had a lesser known hit about tickling Saddam Hussein.

The previous sentence was completely made up, but would make so much sense in context.

Andy Shandy said:
Damnit Jim, if you try to get Ace Of Bass stuck in my head, I will turn it off after Yahtzee!

I kid, I could never do such a thing, your poems never cease to amaze me. What form that amazement might be, on the other hand...
At least he wasn't promising to never give you up, never let you down, etc. etc.

zvate

Aug 12, 2010
Jim, that was a bit sad to hear. You both have talent and your parts often been great (your bounty hunter one is still one of the best of them all) but that said these two weeks have been weak. I mean at least I see now where its going and your kingdom romp of weirdness deserves props for trying a multi-episode attempt but this type of humor just falls flat to me for much the same reason I stopped listening to your podcasts. I find self deprecation along the lines of sexual perversion generally lackluster as a primary focus. this is basically story time so your one on Mario should have been about Mario.. the plumber just out to clean her pipes...or something and your one on Ganandorf should have been about Ganandorf.

As is, change the names and your story is exactly the same because they don't actually have anything to do with either character. You can do better than this and you usually do...

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Nazrel said:
Imp Emissary said:
hazydawn said:
Yahtzee's is about the Resident Evil games over time, I think, and Jim is just being Jim in Nintendo land. ;D
You sure? Wasn't the dog thing a reference to the dogs that jump through the windows at you in one of the earlier games?

Then again, I'm not that familiar with either series, so maybe you're right.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I always watch Jim's poems. After all, half the time Yahtzee's poems are about games I don't care about. Like today. And I was amused and begiggled that Jim's poem happened to be about one of my favorite games, even if it was a bit weird.

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
Imp Emissary said:
Nazrel said:
Imp Emissary said:
hazydawn said:
You sure? Wasn't the dog thing a reference to the dogs that jump through the windows at you in one of the earlier games?

There's dogs in silent hill series as well; and that was just reference after reference from the silent hill series.

Though I'm not 100% sure what the 7 foot high clown was, he was referencing downpour at the time so he might have meant the boogeyman.

chriswolvie

Aug 25, 2009
I don't have any problems with Jim's writing style
His humoresque prose always ekes out a smile
I like his stick-to-it-ness; he just will not yield
His poems aren't bad; they're just out in left field

Yahtzee's are thoughtful and mem'ry-provoking
Jim's may be weird but, remember, he's joking!
After Yahtzee's dark prose (which is also quite funny)
The "Thank God For Me" guy hits right on the money

I'll have to admit, though, that Yahtzee's ARE better
Consider'bly more mem'rable than Jim's word and letter
But you must realize that life is so demanding
Without you peoples' lack of sheer understanding
(See what I did there? HA!)

So, Mr. Sterling, I hope it'll suffice
If I watch your poem only once (maybe twice)
You may not be mem'rable but cry zero tears
Who'll remember ANY of this in a hundred years?!

Looming_Shadows

Jun 21, 2012
Am I SERIOUSLY the only one here who DOESN'T find this series to be a competition!? Frankly I, for one, love BOTH of Jim's AND Yahtzee's poems. Besides they don't even tackle the same subject, therefore comparing them would be comparing a banana and a Televison, two completely different things.

Windu23

Aug 6, 2008
Nazrel said:
Imp Emissary said:
Nazrel said:
Imp Emissary said:
hazydawn said:

There's dogs in silent hill series as well; and that was just reference after reference from the silent hill series.

Though I'm not 100% sure what the 7 foot high clown was, he was referencing downpour at the time so he might have meant the boogeyman.
The clown is Yahtzee's way of describing how subtle the later Silent Hills are compared to the ones that came before.

OT: I like poetry continuity.

Tanneseph

May 2, 2011
Zhukov said:
I never turn it off after Yahtzee is done.

Although you do occasionally make me regret that decision.
Zhukov said:
I never turn it off after Yahtzee is done.

Although you do occasionally make me regret that decision.
Ha! +1

Though honestly, I loved Jim's this week. Creative and hilarious. And a frightening expose of Ganon....

On the flipside, this is the first week where I though Yahtzee's was only "okay." I hope this isn't a zero-sum game!

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Nazrel said:
Imp Emissary said:
Nazrel said:
Imp Emissary said:
hazydawn said:

Ah, I see what ya mean. I thought the clown reference was about how they have changed how they try to scare people over time. Going from the
"Oh God. There's something going on here. D: And I think it's going to get bad...",

to "*Monster pops out and goes* GAHBALBAGABLA RAHHAAAA!".
Then again, one could say something similar about both games.

However, thinking it all over, I'd say you're right. After all, why go to Raccoon City at the end, if that's where you started?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I'm worried about Jim. Not in the smug, he's crazy way but in a legit way. In his last inquisition video he said he had thought about quitting several times and I can't help but feel these poetry episodes can be contributing. I mean 9/10 the comments are about either how strange Jim is or how they don't get the poetry. the tenth comment is something like 'yatzhee won', which is indirectly insulting Jim.
Stupid haters...

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Looming_Shadows said:
Am I SERIOUSLY the only one here who DOESN'T find this series to be a competition!? Frankly I, for one, love BOTH of Jim's AND Yahtzee's poems. Besides they don't even tackle the same subject, therefore comparing them would be comparing a banana and a Televison, two completely different things.
I find people are judging it less as a competition and more cataloging which of the poems between the two they prefer. It seems less like, "I think Jim won this week" and more like, "I enjoyed Jim's more than Yahtzee's this week". While enjoying both, it's not bad to say you enjoyed one more than the other is it?

EDIT: Some people definitely do see it as a competition however I believe they are a very small minority.

OT: Jim, did you need multiple attempts at the tickling Ganondorf part? It's quite the tongue twister to me.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Both were great this week.

Also, "tickling ganondorf" is really hard to say that fast :(

Patathatapon

Jul 30, 2011
I usually don't like Jim's stuff as much, but this one just had me laughing my ass off. Yahtzee's was pretty good, but I'd say Jim would have won today.