Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: PewDieBait

Jim And Yahtzee

Apr 16, 2013
PewDieBait

Put on your poetry hats and join two of the greatest wordsmiths of our generation as they fill your ears with verse.

Watch Video

Under_your_bed

Sep 15, 2012
Baiting PewDiePie's army of preteen manchild fans?

If anyone needs me, I'll be a safe distance away. With lots and lots of popcorn.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Eh...not so much baiting his army of societal refuse as pointing out the blatantly obvious.
Still, pass that popcorn.

Hiramas

Aug 31, 2010
The loadingreadyrun live stream of Goat Simulator was hilarious. Absolutely hilarious. As long as you don't make a habit of "intentionally bad" i guess it can be ok.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Can people just shut the fuck up about that guy already?

We get it, you don't like him. I swear I hear a lot more about him from people who claim to hate the guy.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:
Poem isn't about *him* at all.
Jimmy, are you conspiring with TotalBiscuit again? Because he released a video ( partly) about "PewDieBait" today too. Admit it Jimmy, you and TB are trying to get "PewDieBait" in the dictionary, you monsters.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Well that was a rather brutal take down of Slender. Which Slender game was it? The one that got the fame or the one they made after they got the game? Found the first one to be a good laugh if a bit panic inducing.

Yahtzee's poem reminds me of a roleplaying experience I had on WoW. As the priest I ended up telling the husband to go "kiss the bridge", he didn't speak to me after. Not long after I just completely stopped seeing his IC wife coming online. All was swell.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Goliath100 said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
Poem isn't about *him* at all.
Jimmy, are you conspiring with TotalBiscuit again? Because he released a video ( partly) about "PewDieBait" today too. Admit it Jimmy, you and TB are trying to get "PewDieBait" in the dictionary, you monsters.
I somehow doubt it, since most of the video content here is filmed a week in advance.

Jim And Yahtzee

Apr 16, 2013
I.. get the criticism Jim..
but .. I find that you really pissed out of the bucket mentioning Unity as an engine of choice like a bad thing or a cheap thing, sure it can be, but so can most other engines today, since they are adopting the business model too. To be honest I was not a big believer of the Unity3d engine initially, It seemed like a stitched up B Grade engine. But nowadays, if you put some effort into it, you can make quality stuff with it (just like any game).

With our indie studio, we have been developing with it for a few years, and, sure it has some shortcomings, but it is not just a "lets make it cheap for ourselves" solution. In fact nowadays, using Unreal 4, UDK3 or CryEngine is arguably cheaper than using Unity Pro.

Even with Real cheap engines you can get fantastic results if your team is talented enough, I know you are not specifically calling out indies who try to do interesting things, but by painting it with such broad strokes you are putting them all in one bag. If someone makes a gamejam experiment and puts it out for people to play, they are not scheming how to fool all the audience, they are probably simply trying to get something mildly presentable out, and rarely do the devs seek to be published or even to get paid for them.
Particularly, if you are just a guy trying to get your feet wet doing some basic scripting or finding out how to make a game, it is actually a FANTASTIC idea. Sure it might be crap (most first projects are), but completing a project.. no matter how small or shitty it might seem to you, is nothing to scoff at, and it can be an excellent learning experience.
In these cases the teams working rarely have a lot of testing and don't have QA budget at all, it is a thing they made, and rarely do they try to show it off as more than that. It will obviously have bugs, it will likely Break, it will have shitty art , and faulty optimized code.. They never really even get out of alpha... SO?

Would you rather have a world where potentially good ideas die out because of impossible production costs? You yourself have rambled on and on about how risk averse the AAA industry is, well that's part of the issue, and I understand that some of these slender wannabees show the exact same staleness problems. But I'm actually thankful for the alternatives that indies are being offered today to develop even the silliest of concept into prototypes. Sure, many of them are generic derivative crappy less-than-games, but there is also unbridled potential, and occasionally some really fantastic and surprising ideas.

So if Pewdiepie or Patrick Klepek ( who sometimes picks borderline Broken games for his "worth Playing" section at Giantbomb) play them because they have some component that might appeal to them, well thanks internet, id rather them show it and allow people to like or dislike. Rather than preemptively censure because they use a "cheap engine" or have many bugs, as if the developer was willfully trying to fool us.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Delcast said:
First, I think you're taking this a bit too seriously.

Second -
Particularly, if you are just a guy trying to get your feet wet doing some basic scripting or finding out how to make a game, it is actually a FANTASTIC idea. Sure it might be crap (most first projects are), but completing a project.. no matter how small or shitty it might seem to you, is nothing to scoff at, and it can be an excellent learning experience.
In these cases the teams working rarely have a lot of testing and don't have QA budget at all, it is a thing they made, and rarely do they try to show it off as more than that. It will obviously have bugs, it will likely Break, it will have shitty art , and faulty optimized code.. They never really even get out of alpha... SO?
The "SO?" comes in when these people shove their incomplete, buggy, broken, poorly-optimized projects on Steam for $19.99 and expect people to not complain about the state that it's in.

The problem isn't indie developers who don't know what they're doing - It's indie developers who don't know what they're doing and still expect to make big bucks anyway.

EDIT: And I imagine that any jab at Unity was simply because most of these really bad indie projects being sold on Steam are using the Unity engine, not because it's actually bad or anything. So again, taking it a bit too seriously and/or personally.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I can honestly say I called that wrong. I thought Jim would be all over Outlast as a prime example that the horror genre is not only alive, but improving. Outlast is every bit as scary as Amnesia though maybe not with a better plot. It's atmospheric as all hell and controls well. I'm not sure why Jim didn't seem to like it(at least that's what I assumed his poem was about?)

Yatzhee, you managed to leave the Asari alone...surprising.

PMAvers

May 27, 2009
Hiramas said:
The loadingreadyrun live stream of Goat Simulator was hilarious. Absolutely hilarious.
The bit with the science hole and the giant goat was worth it.

Jim And Yahtzee

Apr 16, 2013
shrekfan246 said:
Delcast said:
First, I think you're taking this a bit too seriously.

Second -
The "SO?" comes in when these people shove their incomplete, buggy, broken, poorly-optimized projects on Steam for $19.99 and expect people to not complain about the state that it's in.

The problem isn't indie developers who don't know what they're doing - It's indie developers who don't know what they're doing and still expect to make big bucks anyway.

EDIT: And I imagine that any jab at Unity was simply because most of these really bad indie projects being sold on Steam are using the Unity engine, not because it's actually bad or anything. So again, taking it a bit too seriously and/or personally.
I know it is simply a silly song, but still, what unsettles me a bit about the underlying comment.
And I'm not terribly offended either, I just was making a comment about what I think in relation to this subject (hopefully a thoughtful one, and not a trolling one).

I find that the problem about Steam has more to do with The lack of effective quality control, and also the somewhat hot headed ignorant consumers that shell out 20 bucks without doing some research, rather than with the greedy developer trying to cheat the poor consumer. Of course this adds the discussion of pre-purchasing and early access, and when early is too early, but those are other topics altogether.
The point of early access is to have the community aid the development of unfinished games, so the criticism of how unfinished, broken or buggy the game is before release seems rather silly, unless it is never addressed or willfully ignored by the developer. Can the system be exploited? sure, and there are many examples, but there are as many examples of great community feedback aiding the creation of the game as well. Like many things , it is a fine line.

I personally NEVER pay for early access. However. I did get Goat simulator, although broken stupid and rather bad. However, I didn't expect it to be a marvelous game, I expected it to be pretty funny for a while, and that, it was.

Again, I get it its an exaggerated joke, and yes it's pretty funny, but it still casts an iffy judgement.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
I think great things can be done in Unity. Max and the Curse of Brotherhood was utterly gorgeous.

However, Unity IS the engine of choice for bad devs, and the assets it provides make for some cheap, pre-built crap.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
"I love you, chest-high wall. *Call back*..."

Yahtzee has made me laugh out loud twice today. It's a good Wednesday.

I'm playing through Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs right now, so I'm certainly appreciating Sterling's point in that regard. I'd be interested to hear his thoughts on better ways to induce feelings of dread that aren't so "audio jump-scare" related, though. It seems like a lot of the other tropes common to survival horror can as easily make for irritating busy work as genuine dread if done poorly. ("Used all your bullets on that boss? Grand! Here's a room full of zombies.")

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
Under_your_bed said:
How can you be be both a preteen and a manchild? O__o

I'm guessing it would require some Butterfly Effect-style time travel.

Under_your_bed

Sep 15, 2012
[REDACTED said:
]
Under_your_bed said:
How can you be be both a preteen and a manchild? O__o

I'm guessing it would require some Butterfly Effect-style time travel.
Just avoid becoming your own grandpa and you're probably OK....