Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: PewDieBait

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
The timing is weird, I only started watching PewDiePie about a week ago. I think he's decent, I just wish he didn't play things up so much, he overreacts to pretty much everything.

Still, indie horror is one of my favorite genres, it's a stepping stone for new developers with original ideas.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Silentpony said:
I can honestly say I called that wrong. I thought Jim would be all over Outlast as a prime example that the horror genre is not only alive, but improving. Outlast is every bit as scary as Amnesia though maybe not with a better plot. It's atmospheric as all hell and controls well. I'm not sure why Jim didn't seem to like it(at least that's what I assumed his poem was about?)

Yatzhee, you managed to leave the Asari alone...surprising.
This definitely wasn't about Outlast because it was one of his games of the year for 2013. and I don't think that it was on the Unity engine either.

I'm not 100% sure but I think that this is about Slender: The Arrival since Pewdiepie did an extremely irritating set of videos about the game.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Ah, the story of a grizzled, brick-jawed, muscly man and his chest-high wall. A love story for the ages.
But I thought David Cage always wrote women in a creepy manner.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
The truth in Jim's poem was sickening.
SKBPinkie said:
Can people just shut the fuck up about that guy already?

We get it, you don't like him. I swear I hear a lot more about him from people who claim to hate the guy.
Funny, I could say the same thing about Justin Beiber.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Ok this is wierdly relevent to me as i knew fugger all about the guy until South Park Stick of Truth was released and i wanted to see some gameplay from the start to show me what sort of game to expect.
Youtube happily showed me a link by this pewdiepie about the game being played, to which i thought 'fair enough...just play the game..i dont care what you think just play the game and ill make my own fckin mind up!'
20 mins later (after me sliding forwards to skip his chat) hes STILL chatting shit about himself! I then see him (yes we must ALL see face) overreacting to EVERY scene in game! its all about him...not the game!
Now youtube remembers that one mistake and puts him on my front wall every time and hes got like 2 million views or shit...WHY?!?
Yahtzee and Gabriel have an infinitely better 'lets drown out' on youtube. Forfcks sake try that!!

Arrogancy

Jun 9, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
Ok this is wierdly relevent to me as i knew fugger all about the guy until South Park Stick of Truth was released and i wanted to see some gameplay from the start to show me what sort of game to expect.
Youtube happily showed me a link by this pewdiepie about the game being played, to which i thought 'fair enough...just play the game..i dont care what you think just play the game and ill make my own fckin mind up!'
20 mins later (after me sliding forwards to skip his chat) hes STILL chatting shit about himself! I then see him (yes we must ALL see face) overreacting to EVERY scene in game! its all about him...not the game!
Now youtube remembers that one mistake and puts him on my front wall every time and hes got like 2 million views or shit...WHY?!?
Yahtzee and Gabriel have an infinitely better 'lets drown out' on youtube. Forfcks sake try that!!
Well, here's the thing, Game Theorists explained the seemingly inexplicable rise of PewDiePie on an episode of Game Theory. Essentially, he got ridiculously lucky and inadvertently took advantage of a series of tricks in the way Youtube is set up to extend his audience across Europe and the US. As to why people follow him exactly...That I can't explain. I suppose that at some level he's likable, he seems like a good person, it's just his internet persona is a total dullard and moron. I suppose that once you cast the net wide enough and make content that comes out very regularly that appeals to the lowest common denominator, eventually those numbers start accumulating, regardless of quality.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Based on the title, I thought it was going to be 4 minutes of high pitched screaming

Ninmecu

May 31, 2011
Arrogancy said:
Honestly, the long and short of his popularity, ignoring the game theory theory, is that the common individual is an idiot. No two ways about it. If he's even mildly entertaining to any given video gaming audience, he'll gain enough followers on that basis alone. Factor in the fact that this generation of gamers is growing up with shallow experiences and has a much lower expectation of what they want in their entertainment, dudes got it made.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
The instant I heard "I met my spouse in WoW," I knew exactly where that one was going.

Anyway... can someone explain to me what this PewDiePie drama is about? I know he's an LPer who's apparently popular and apparently obnoxious, but why does anyone care?

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
Great Poem by both, but Jim's was slamming! I say Jim wins this one.

Loki_The_Good said:
SKBPinkie said:

We get it, you don't like him. I swear I hear a lot more about him from people who claim to hate the guy.
Ironically, then we inevitably get a lot of people annoyed about people complaining about complaining about him. Now, here I am complaining about people complaining about people complaining about him and oh my god why does everything taste purple.
Wait purple is a color. How can things "taste" purple?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
SKBPinkie said:

well i just blocking him from my view on youtube and left it at that. but people do keep bringing him up.

Jimothy Sterling said:
However, Unity IS the engine of choice for bad devs, and the assets it provides make for some cheap, pre-built crap.
Well, unity is the kind of engline thats pretty much prebuilt and easiet engine to get on market where a pertosn with no knowledge can go and make stuff, hence people with no knowledge tend to flock with it. as it happens, people with no knowledge usually end up not being knowledgable in how to make the game any good either.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
I'd like to suggest that people PROBABLY ***** and moan about PewDiePie because there is no escaping him, ESPECIALLY if you use youtube. Doesn't matter even if you have a script (like me) to block certain users videos from showing up on the site at all, it'll still get through. And then you click on ONE video by mistake and BAM! All your recommended videos turn into PDP videos.

The guy is an incredibly idiotic when it comes to his 'humor', often just resorting to screaming buzz words and overreacting, your every day normal 'lolRANDUMB' humor you'd expect from 'tehpenguinofdoom'... Yet both himself and Youtube continue to push the content even after many politely say 'no' and click the X on the 'recommended channels' listing he pops up in.

Youtube literally is saying 'Well we don't care if you don't like it, we're still gonna shove it in your face because he's our cash cow and we want to bleed him dry'. Because that's what he is, a fucking tool. A tool for gaming companies and advertisers to sell their product and make money for himself, the companies and youtube, with the end goal of selling their product. And really, when people praise something as vapid and uninteresting as a tool being worthwhile content and constantly getting in your faces about it, wouldn't you get sick of him too? Because let's be real here, we can try and ignore him as much as we want, but his fans, youtube, the companies that use said tool and PDP himself will not allow that.

So in summation, I can kind of understand why they dislike the tool.

The Feast

Apr 5, 2013
Kyogissun said:
I'd like to suggest that people PROBABLY ***** and moan about PewDiePie because there is no escaping him, ESPECIALLY if you use youtube. Doesn't matter even if you have a script (like me) to block certain users videos from showing up on the site at all, it'll still get through. And then you click on ONE video by mistake and BAM! All your recommended videos turn into PDP videos.

The guy is an incredibly idiotic when it comes to his 'humor', often just resorting to screaming buzz words and overreacting, your every day normal 'lolRANDUMB' humor you'd expect from 'tehpenguinofdoom'... Yet both himself and Youtube continue to push the content even after many politely say 'no' and click the X on the 'recommended channels' listing he pops up in.

Youtube literally is saying 'Well we don't care if you don't like it, we're still gonna shove it in your face because he's our cash cow and we want to bleed him dry'. Because that's what he is, a fucking tool. A tool for gaming companies and advertisers to sell their product and make money for himself, the companies and youtube, with the end goal of selling their product. And really, when people praise something as vapid and uninteresting as a tool being worthwhile content and constantly getting in your faces about it, wouldn't you get sick of him too? Because let's be real here, we can try and ignore him as much as we want, but his fans, youtube, the companies that use said tool and PDP himself will not allow that.

So in summation, I can kind of understand why they dislike the tool.
How come YouTube always make terrible features but never make a useful one, such as, block the dumb channels that I don't want to see? Seriously, all those annoying PewDiePie thumbnails is making me crazy (Even some disturbing thumbnails from other channel that I don't wanna see). I can't even watch YouTube properly anymore with this guy's face and his random choice of pictures and humor.

By the way, Robbaz is an entertaining Swedish Youtuber, but PewDiePie, no.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
I've watched one Pewdepie video, just to see what it was about. Wasn't for me.

I don't find them "inescapable". Don't think YouTube has ever made a big deal of him for me, and I watch a few gaming channels. Is he really pushed *that* much?

Anyway, great job both Jim and Yahtzee. This was a really good episode for you both I think.

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
I coined the term "pewdiepie bait" in a video review I did on Steam Greenlight titles that were basically just mashed together Unity engine shit "horror" games designed specifically to try to go "viral" cause some hyper-active super popular Youtuber would play it like Pewdiepie (or those guys trying to be Pewdiepie too, like Tobuscus and Markiplier to name a short list that is just a preview of a longer list of nobodies behind all them) a month ago....but since nobody watches my channel and I thought the videos were utter shit I decided to take them down though I still have the originals on my storage drive.

Heres the specific game that caused me to vomit the term out of my mouth.
Steam Greenlight - Paranoia [http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=187537719]...man it was crappy.

Here I was thinking I'm just bad at what I do...and it turns out I'm just ahead of my time. Thanks for making me feel like Da Vinci for about 0.5 milliseconds Jim!

Pyrokinesis

Dec 3, 2007
Hey.... Jim wasent mocking goat simulator was he? I mean come on it was literally a game that only existed because we demanded it, its not like they were purposely making it bad to make a quick buck or anything. It realeased on april first of all things it is clearly a joke game for lets players.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Arrogancy said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Well, here's the thing, Game Theorists explained the seemingly inexplicable rise of PewDiePie on an episode of Game Theory. Essentially, he got ridiculously lucky and inadvertently took advantage of a series of tricks in the way Youtube is set up to extend his audience across Europe and the US. As to why people follow him exactly...That I can't explain. I suppose that at some level he's likable, he seems like a good person, it's just his internet persona is a total dullard and moron. I suppose that once you cast the net wide enough and make content that comes out very regularly that appeals to the lowest common denominator, eventually those numbers start accumulating, regardless of quality.
That makes a lot of sense. Plus i can imagine he appeals a lot to the male kids that think stupid excitement is cool.
Seems i swore more than usual in that post. There must still be some bitterness in the memory...that and i may have had a drink.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Drake the Dragonheart said:
Great Poem by both, but Jim's was slamming! I say Jim wins this one.

Loki_The_Good said:
SKBPinkie said:

Ironically, then we inevitably get a lot of people annoyed about people complaining about complaining about him. Now, here I am complaining about people complaining about people complaining about him and oh my god why does everything taste purple.
Wait purple is a color. How can things "taste" purple?
That whistle you heard was the sound of the joke flying straight over your head :)