Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
saxman234 said:
Imp Emissary said:
Well Jim, I guess you have a point. As a PC owner, you really do need[sub](and I guess can get)[/sub] more than 1080p.

Which makes sense. After all, you need all that power to play Doom all day.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/4131-The-Beautiful-Irony-of-PC-Gaming

;p
Jimquisition has changed so much! It was still good back then, but the new episodes seem much more professionally done. I can't believe we lived in a world where Jimquisition did not have a Willem Defoe miniature co-host. This video reminded me that I wanted to play E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy, time to put this on my steam wishlist so i don't forget again.
:) Glad I could remind you of it.

I actually liked the Jimquisition form the start, but you can't say that it hasn't gotten much better over time.

:D And it hasn't stopped getting better either!

Hope ya enjoy E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy!

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
There's not a single 1080p monitor in my house. I honestly don't get why resolution matters to some people. It doesn't make things look better, but it can make bad graphics more noticeable.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
While 1080P is pretty fucking standard on PC, this whole discucssion of PS4 at 1080 vs Xbox One at 720 was triggered by COD: Ghosts.....which has a truly abysmal PC port, and even people with Titans are reporting performance problems.

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
Imp Emissary said:
Well Jim, I guess you have a point. As a PC owner, you really do need[sub](and I guess can get)[/sub] more than 1080p.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/4131-The-Beautiful-Irony-of-PC-Gaming

;p
1440p, get with the times man. All this 720p and 1080p arguments on consoles is hilarious.

SnowWookie

Nov 22, 2012
TheUnbeholden said:
Imp Emissary said:

;p
1440p, get with the times man. All this 720p and 1080p arguments on consoles is hilarious.
1440p? That was so a few months ago. Kids these days are rocking 4K resolutions.
4k, by coincidence, is about half what you need to spend to run that schizz :)

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Imp Emissary said:

;p
Was Jim a lot less angry 2 years ago, or is it just that ep?

1080 vs 720 is actually sort of important. A lot of people threw their money away buying a 1080 instead of a 720 TV, and MS and Sony are totally fucking with finally justifying these people spending twice as much.

BunnyKillBot

Fragged by Bunny
Oct 23, 2010
Requia said:
Imp Emissary said:

;p
Was Jim a lot less angry 2 years ago, or is it just that ep?

1080 vs 720 is actually sort of important. A lot of people threw their money away buying a 1080 instead of a 720 TV, and MS and Sony are totally fucking with finally justifying these people spending twice as much.
Sorry but the television market simply doesn't work that way. HD was marketed as either 'HD Ready' (720) or 'Full HD' (1080). The vast majority of sets >32" are 1080 as standard. The consumer isn't choosing between resolution but screen size, and generally speaking, larger screen size is more desirable, and as screen size increases, the difference between 720 and 1080 matters more and more.

OlasDAlmighty said:
There's not a single 1080p monitor in my house. I honestly don't get why resolution matters to some people. It doesn't make things look better, but it can make bad graphics more noticeable.
Naive. It matters as a relationship between screen size and viewing distance. Personally, I game on a projector screen and ill be damned if I am forced to output my games at 720p in the next gen. Its backwards.

There is also a growing annoying problem with games failing to sync the output frame rate of pre-rendered cut scenes to the source material. The game itself might output at a nice, smooth 60fps but the cinematics get frame doubled into what ever its outputting at, giving jerky playback and rendering motion smoothing useless.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
Ooooh, I get it, the stabbing is being phased out. It certainly seems to be headed that way, AC5 will probably have you poisoning customers with assassin cuisine in your restaurant chain.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
BunnyKillBot said:
OlasDAlmighty said:
Naive. It matters as a relationship between screen size and viewing distance. Personally, I game on a projector screen and ill be damned if I am forced to output my games at 720p in the next gen. Its backwards.
Then don't game on a projector, anything will look bad if you blow it up bigger than it was meant to be displayed.

I guess screen resolution can matter a little bit when it comes to really small resolutions like 640x480 where it actually affects your ability to make things out, but it really becomes irrelevant at the sizes we're talking about here. How exactly does dividing the same rendered graphics across more pixels improve it aesthetically? The pixilation won't be an issue anyway unless the game lacks anti-aliasing. Screen resolution is nothing more than a dick waving contest with increasingly negligible aesthetic significance, and wasting a computer's power on it can force you to neglect graphical and visual elements that actually improve a game's look.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I game on a 1280 by 800 display :D that said, I could buy a monitor and connect it to my laptop :D. I hope the mods are keeping a tight leash on this thread.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Whats really amazing is how Microsoft thinks they can get away with releasing a console that has graphical output that is obsolete at launch. How do they expect it to last 10+ years if its underpowered the moment it leaves the door?

OlasDAlmighty said:
BunnyKillBot said:
OlasDAlmighty said:
Then don't game on a projector, anything will look bad if you blow it up bigger than it was meant to be displayed.

I guess screen resolution can matter a little bit when it comes to really small resolutions like 640x480 where it actually affects your ability to make things out, but it really becomes irrelevant at the sizes we're talking about here. How exactly does dividing the same rendered graphics across more pixels improve it aesthetically? The pixilation won't be an issue anyway unless the game lacks anti-aliasing. Screen resolution is nothing more than a dick waving contest with increasingly negligible aesthetic significance, and wasting a computer's power on it can force you to neglect graphical and visual elements that actually improve a game's look.
IF you would really see the native 720p resolution size you would probably have to strian your eyes to see anytihng in it. almost all the graphics we see are "blown up". well unless your TV is so bad you can see individual pixels on it multiple milimeters long.
Screen resolution matters A LOT when the game has high resolution textures. This being consoles, of course it wont have high resolution texures, so you will be watching a 360p resolution image on 1080p resolution rendering. and hence why you will fail to see a difference. would the game textures actually be high enough, the difference is HUGE.
And we are not talking asthetics. we are talking quality. higher resolution gives higher quality image. there is no discussion about it. Astheticso n the other hand are subjective and the only thing you can do about it is hire the artist yourself. other than that you will have to deal with what you have. Computer power will not improve asthetics becuase that is not measured by how pwoerful your computer is. Altrouh high resolution textures could i guess, when rocks start looking like rocks and not grey blobs id say asthetics improve.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Strazdas said:
Whats really amazing is how Microsoft thinks they can get away with releasing a console that has graphical output that is obsolete at launch. How do they expect it to last 10+ years if its underpowered the moment it leaves the door?

OlasDAlmighty said:
BunnyKillBot said:
OlasDAlmighty said:

IF you would really see the native 720p resolution size you would probably have to strian your eyes to see anytihng in it. almost all the graphics we see are "blown up". well unless your TV is so bad you can see individual pixels on it multiple milimeters long.
I'm calling bullshit to this right off the bat. I never have the graphics "blown up" when I game because that makes it look TERRIBLE. And for your information my TV's native resolution is 720p and NO the pixels on it are not "millimeters across", nor can you make them out unless you're standing only a few away from it.

The idea that 720p is so terrible that you actually have to squint to see anything is laughable, considering I've been playing games on devices with far lower resolutions all my life with zero difficulty.

It seems obvious that you don't actually use non HD monitors in your day to day life, which makes me wonder why you're lecturing me on them. I know what I'm talking about.

Screen resolution matters A LOT when the game has high resolution textures. This being consoles, of course it wont have high resolution texures, so you will be watching a 360p resolution image on 1080p resolution rendering. and hence why you will fail to see a difference. would the game textures actually be high enough, the difference is HUGE.
Which is why I don't get why people care about the resolution only being 720p. If anything the game looks worse with higher resolutions because you can see the shitty 360p textures more easily.

And we are not talking asthetics. we are talking quality. higher resolution gives higher quality image. there is no discussion about it.
This is purely semantics. The word "quality" in this case is simply the word being used to describe the resolution. It doesn't mean anything else. I's not meant to imply the actual visual itself is better or worse. Shitty graphics look shitty at any "quality", and only look shittier when that quality is increased more and more.

Astheticso n the other hand are subjective and the only thing you can do about it is hire the artist yourself. other than that you will have to deal with what you have. Computer power will not improve asthetics becuase that is not measured by how pwoerful your computer is. Altrouh high resolution textures could i guess, when rocks start looking like rocks and not grey blobs id say asthetics improve.
When I say aesthetics, I'm not talking about choice of colors and shapes. I'm talking about higher polycounts, better textures, better lighting and partical effects, more realistic animations. These are all things that more computing power can improve.

Nicy

Oct 21, 2008
Spot on, Mr. Sterling. I confess, I missed the decreasing "stabbing" count each verse on Yahtzee's because I fast-forwarded through it every time after the second verse. I get the joke though, but Jim's the winner again this week.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
OlasDAlmighty said:
I'm calling bullshit to this right off the bat. I never have the graphics "blown up" when I game because that makes it look TERRIBLE. And for your information my TV's native resolution is 720p and NO the pixels on it are not "millimeters across", nor can you make them out unless you're standing only a few away from it.

The idea that 720p is so terrible that you actually have to squint to see anything is laughable, considering I've been playing games on devices with far lower resolutions all my life with zero difficulty.

It seems obvious that you don't actually use non HD monitors in your day to day life, which makes me wonder why you're lecturing me on them. I know what I'm talking about.

Which is why I don't get why people care about the resolution only being 720p. If anything the game looks worse with higher resolutions because you can see the shitty 360p textures more easily.

And we are not talking asthetics. we are talking quality. higher resolution gives higher quality image. there is no discussion about it.
This is purely semantics. The word "quality" in this case is simply the word being used to describe the resolution. It doesn't mean anything else. I's not meant to imply the actual visual itself is better or worse. Shitty graphics look shitty at any "quality", and only look shittier when that quality is increased more and more.

Astheticso n the other hand are subjective and the only thing you can do about it is hire the artist yourself. other than that you will have to deal with what you have. Computer power will not improve asthetics becuase that is not measured by how pwoerful your computer is. Altrouh high resolution textures could i guess, when rocks start looking like rocks and not grey blobs id say asthetics improve.
When I say aesthetics, I'm not talking about choice of colors and shapes. I'm talking about higher polycounts, better textures, better lighting and partical effects, more realistic animations. These are all things that more computing power can improve.
You never have graphics blown up? Well i guess at least nwo we know your exclusively PC gamer then. Because both current consoles and mobiles do that to pretend to be higher resolution.
Your TV being native 720 must be quite small if you are unable to see seperate pixels on it.

You have been playing on lower resolutions does not mean it hasnt been enlarged though. You can strech low graphics over larger surface area. you can make a 120x78 game run in 1080 but it will still look 120x78. You can game on that wouthout difficulty when the developers are anticipating this, and thats why low rsolutio gaming worked, however the visual difference between that and real HD is quite large.

Both my laptop and my monitor at work do not support full HD. i know how it looks, dont worry about that.

People care about he reolution being only 720p, because they are hoping that high resolutions would force the developers to use higher resolution textures. i mean for example for Skyrim we had an official high res texture mod.

Quality does mean quite a few things, such as implying there is no scream tering, no bluryvision, no overlaying pixels (in some models there was ap roblem where the plasma in the screen didnt cool fast enough and you would see previuos frame for some pixels, making moving picture look bad) and plenty of other kinks that are worked out behind the scenes and the average user does not even know about. V-sync exists as easy solution for some, hardware enchantments needed for others, ect.
Shitty graphics implies lack of quality in itself. What you actually meant was graphics that you find unpleasant. An easy example here would be "brown military shooter". many people think it looks bad ect, which is their personal taste. obviuosly, there are enough people that like that looks, as they keep buying these games. It isnt worse in quality, its a matter of asthetics, which ends up in personal taste. Being brown or colourful does not depends on resolution either. Why did you involve this into this discussion i do not know.

Polycounts, texture resolution is part of quality from software side, it is not asthetics though. polygons do not equal "emoshions" despite what one particular industry person woudl have you believe. Asthetics are your personal look of whether the game looks pleasant, and that often has nothing to do with technical side of it. What you counted as asthetics are all software side stuff that can only benefot from higher resolution, but do not have to use it (and thus we result in low resolutino tectures displayed on high resolution screens). Yes, more computing pwoers can imporve these things. However there is a thing here, you cant increase this above the lelve of display resolution (well, technically you can, but you wont be able to see it), thus display resolution must come first, and these things must raise to that level. Now that doesnt really apply to animations since that is a beast on its own, unless they involve movement so sbutle that it would fall between pixels in low resolutions (which was the case in early days of gaming, not really the case anymore).

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
Wow. Jim's poem was actually uplifting this week!

Something is wrong with me. I need serious help.