Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: The VGX Gag Reel

Jim And Yahtzee

Apr 16, 2013
The VGX Gag Reel

Put on your poetry hats and join two of the greatest wordsmiths of our generation as they fill your ears with verse.

Watch Video

Jan 12, 2012
Yahtzee needs a get-up like this for his next song.

Also, I got the analogy; you're talking about the dog from CoD: Ghosts, right?

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
I can't help but feel like Yahtzee just defended AAA publishers. Aren't we supposed to lynch people for that?

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Here is my interpretation. The poem was about VGX.

The King is us, gamers, and the Joker is Spike; and the poem was about the inadequacy of meeting the different expectations for such a show, and how we can criticize each other. Ours being finding something worthwhile discussing and celebrating about games without knowledge on how to make and sell TV shows, while theirs being entertaining to the lowbrow masses without knowledge of the subject.

So, what do you think?

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
deathbydeath said:
I can't help but feel like Yahtzee just defended AAA publishers. Aren't we supposed to lynch people for that?
The king is AAA games, and Yahtzee called them boring and witless.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I didn't watch the VGX, but I'm guessing Jim's poem refers to their usual line up of celebrity guests that have nothing to do with video games.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Yes, I'm sure we'll figure it out. Hmm, I'll just wait for others to figure it out =/

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
I didn't watch the VGX, but I'm guessing Jim's poem refers to their usual line up of celebrity guests that have nothing to do with video games.
No, this year's was rather wizard terrible and offensive and all hardcore g3merz should be outraged.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
deathbydeath said:
canadamus_prime said:
No, this year's was rather wizard terrible and offensive and all hardcore g3merz should be outraged.

Wow that was pathetic, even by Spike standards.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Just by watching the Rhyme Down you will instantly know that VGX is the bottom mark for videogame shows, now.

Aug 1, 2010
Well Jim, pretty disappointing. I mean, really? An entire section of an episode just to whine about how the VGX host was mean to you and how he somehow mentioned transexuals in way that wasn't a total compliment?
The thing is, McHale was exactly what that show needed. The VGX was never going to be good and it was nice to see someone who is an actual gamer in real life shit all over everything they were doing and make the Dorito Pope shifty and nervous as hell. When something is already guaranteed to be a train wreck, the only way to make it better is to throw a crashing plane, an earthquake and an exploding gas stove in the same location for giggles.

Also did I fucking call it? Because I totally called it.

As for Yahtzee, brilliant as usual. I really don't know how you manage to keep these so fresh and interesting.

hermes200 said:
Here is my interpretation. The poem was about VGX.

The King is us, gamers, and the Joker is Spike; and the poem was about the inadequacy of meeting the different expectations for such a show, and how we can criticize each other. Ours being finding something worthwhile discussing and celebrating about games without knowledge on how to make and sell TV shows, while theirs being entertaining to the lowbrow masses without knowledge of the subject.

So, what do you think?
I think it had more to do with game journalism itself.

Geoff Keighley and the other sellouts are the King. Yahtzee and his comedic ilk are the jesters.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
deathbydeath said:
No, this year's was rather wizard terrible and offensive and all hardcore gemers should be outraged.

Are this for real? Did they air this? Is this the best they can do? Have Spike became aware that they are just a punchline? And most important of all: Have Jimmy became aware of the existence of Fire Emblem: Awakening (lol)?

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
Well Jim, pretty disappointing. I mean, really? An entire section of an episode just to whine about how the VGX host was mean to you and how he somehow mentioned transexuals in way that wasn't a total compliment?
The thing is, McHale was exactly what that show needed. The VGX was never going to be good and it was nice to see someone who is an actual gamer in real life shit all over everything they were doing and make the Dorito Pope shifty and nervous as hell. When something is already guaranteed to be a train wreck, the only way to make it better is to throw a crashing plane, an earthquake and an exploding gas stove in the same location for giggles.

I am sorry.

I'm just ... I'm just so sorry.

Aug 1, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:

I am sorry.

I'm just ... I'm just so sorry.
I don't know, i was pretty crushed. I don't know if I'll even be able to go on living after a betrayal of these proportions.

Maybe if we snuggle for a while we'll be able to make up. Ear biting is off limits until we're warmed up.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Sadly, I tend to stay away from any public displays related to the video game industry because they result in nothing but flame war and the death of brain cells, so I don't quite get either poem this week (though from what I've heard about Spike's awards in the past, Jim's is a little easier to grasp).

Wait, that's not really all that sad, now that I think about it.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Desert Punk said:
canadamus_prime said:
deathbydeath said:
canadamus_prime said:

Wow that was pathetic, even by Spike standards.
And lets no forget the bit where they got someone to sing about raping pregnant women for their musical guest...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvW9WwDLCxg&t=17m46s

Angry Joe had a field day with that one. Whoever thought inviting those retards to be star guests should be taken out and flogged.
0_o I think a flogging would be too good for them.

LightningFast

Feb 6, 2013
The King was the AAA industry, not as witty or clever, but more competent at business and administrative practices.
The Jester was the indie gaming scene, fairly poor and not as experienced with business, but more intelligent and in-touch with their audience.