Jim & Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular: Where the Hype Ends

nodlimax

Feb 8, 2012
Pure gold in that video.

Especially Yahtzee's section was brilliant. That hype on the consoles and many of the new "AAA" productions is just wrong.

But as always more money is spent on marketing than on actually developing cool and fun games...

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
I do look forward to Wednesdays now, it's not often something makes me laugh out loud. But Jim and Yahtzee always do. Love those boys.

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
I have never heard a poem with a Cluster F-Bomb before. That was impressive.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Am I the only one that still enjoys the appropriate irony of Microsoft continually hyping the Xbox One by mentioning a game called "TitanFall"?

Also, as someone that lives in rural Oklahoma with unstable internet, I look forward to their offline policy!

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
Thisfellow said:
MowDownJoe said:
FFP2 said:
I didn't get Jim's one :-(

Was it something to do with the Xbone?
More like fanboys in general who'll defend a game before its out.
Doesn't that leave both parties clueless, though? Let's say I were to champion the CoD dog to Jathzee(Someone slipped something in my drink in this scenario), neither of us would have any grounds to base our respective opinions off.
Its probably fanatics defending things from reviewers/ journalists of which Jim is one. so the reviewer has played or at least played a sample of the game while the fanatics has not

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Jim lost totally this week. All I got was a guy who liked cheese but didn't eat it and liked swearing a lot, as a metaphor for.... who knows. Leave the metaphor to Yahtzee. At least it always becomes clear what the hell he's talking about by the end of his opus.

And speaking of Yahtzee, a nice selection of limericks just for a change.

Thisfellow

Dec 13, 2012
zerragonoss said:
Thisfellow said:
Doesn't that leave both parties clueless, though? Let's say I were to champion the CoD dog to Jathzee(Someone slipped something in my drink in this scenario), neither of us would have any grounds to base our respective opinions off.
Its probably fanatics defending things from reviewers/ journalists of which Jim is one. so the reviewer has played or at least played a sample of the game while the fanatics has not
Ah, I see. I wasn't aware Jim did that kind of thing.

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
FFP2 said:
I didn't get Jim's one :-(

Was it something to do with the Xbone?
Another interpretation I got is that it was implying a lot of these developers keep making the same kind of video games and keep boasting that "their game is the best". When the actual joke of the whole thing is, they never played the darn things.

eatenbyagrue

Dec 25, 2008
...I take it something ticked Jim off.

Also, I laughed harder than I should at Yahtzee's dog line.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
As is the status quo
For this here webby show
Yahtzee throws down
Jim acts the clown
And we will call them pros

(heh. prose. Get it?!?!)

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Nice. I've loved Yahtzee's limericks since the Wolfenstein review, and while I had a hard time getting into the meter of Jim's, it reminded me of a few people I've known who will defend everything a company does even if they've never seen it before. (Bonus points for the lich comparison. I gotta use that sometime.)

And while it wasn't unexpected, it was nice to see Yahtzee kick Sony a bit. I'm getting tired of the RIAA/MPAA/Sony Rootkit behemoth being treated like it's the paragon of unfettered entertainment.

RoonMian said:
Jim rhymed "fuck" with "fuck"...

Bad style...

:D
Hey, now, Dante did that with Jesus's name. You don't drag down the name of your messiah by rhyming with other words.:)

JoeyMousepadd

Nov 18, 2009
Jokes aren't funny if you have to explain them.
Metaphor isn't as trenchant if you have to say "Metaphor!" at the end.

I feel like Jim tipped his hand as to his true opinion of the relative intelligence of The Escapist viewers.

[Edit]
I neglected to add that I really enjoyed both segments and despite my criticism I loved Jim's metaphor. Well done.

jokulhaups

Aug 13, 2008
I took Jim's metaphor to be referring to Microsoft not understanding why people are so dissatisfied with the Xbox One reveal. Microsoft doesn't understand because they don't even like games, they just want to sell the thing that makes them the money.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Thisfellow said:
The thing is, you can be hyped without being dogmatic. A lot of such responses are to fairly reasonable complaints.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
It's the simple things like that that bring a smile to my face. Better than any poetry I've read of late. Much thanks guys, well done.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
Formica Archonis said:
RoonMian said:
Jim rhymed "fuck" with "fuck"...

Bad style...

:D
Hey, now, Dante did that with Jesus's name. You don't drag down the name of your messiah by rhyming with other words.:)
What are you trying to tell me? That you are a member of the cult of the holy fuck?

Edit: Oh no, now I get it. Jim is a member of the cult of the holy fuck. Yeah, that makes sense.

Sorry then, rhyming "fuck" with "fuck" is totally OK.