Jimquisition: A-LIE-ns: Colonial Marines

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
A-LIE-ns: Colonial Marines

Sterling walks through Gearbox's walkthrough of Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Watch Video

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Yeah, I feel sorry for anyone that pre-ordered this, especially if they've based their pre-order on demos such as this.

They've just been completely bullshitted to by Gearbox, and it makes me sad, because they were seen (Duke Nukem Forever aside) as one of the better developers in the business.

lazarus1209

Mar 17, 2011
This was possibly my most hotly anticipated game of the year, and they somehow found a way to gloriously fuck it up. It's amazing that they somehow managed to surprise everyone with how shit a product this ended up being.

Mister Six

Aug 16, 2010
Jesus. I thought people were blowing how bad the game was out of proportion by comparing it to Duke Nukem, but Christ if this true Gearbox really dropped the ball.

thetenet

Mar 12, 2008
I love the series too. I am sure it will survive one crappy game and whoever tries to make an aliens game in the future will have this demo as a solid foundation.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Damn... I had never actually seen that demo before and seeing it now after all the bad press the game's gotten just makes me feel sad. The demo looks f'ing amazing, like how a proper Aliens game should be. Instead we get Call of Duty in space with one of the most clever and terrifying fictional alien species being reduced to cannon fodder kamikaze idiots.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
OK...

But WHAT ABOUT THE MULTIPLAYER? Is it half-way decent? I've already asked this in a similar thread but everyone's apparently still too busy crying about the campaign. Yes, it's crap. Didn't happen. Sorry. Let's move on now, shall we?

socialmenace42

May 8, 2010
WOW. Ok, let me break this down:
Extra video on a Wednesday
No Intro or theatrics
No Ironic self-referential smarmyness
No swearing, calm blow-by-blow break down

Analasys: Jim is seriously disappointed.
And listening to him, he seems to have evey right to be.

MrCalypso

Jul 14, 2010
So the whole problem here is that practically none of the game play elements appear in the final game correct? Maybe if they had spent some more time on the game instead of this demo, which may be completely pre-rendered, it would have been at least a little better.....

Yokillernick

May 11, 2012
Arnoxthe1 said:
OK...

But WHAT ABOUT THE MULTIPLAYER? I've already asked this in a similar thread but everyone's apparently still too busy crying about the campaign. Yes, it's crap. Didn't happen. Sorry. Let's move on now, shall we?
I'm not 100% sure how many people actually bought an Aliens game for the multiplayer. It's like asking how many people bought Battlefield 3 solely for the singleplayer, it just doesn't happen. Plus you are totally wrong about saying that the people cried over the game. It's their right since from what this shows they have been conned out of their £40-60 which I guess is a good reason to cry about. So you might want to concentrate on the company scamming you before you ask about the multiplayer, you know priorities.

OK moving on. Isn't pulling crap like this illegal ?

Jesse Billingsley

Mar 21, 2011
Huh....Kinda like the original Ghost Recon Future Soldier Demo back in 2010...Final product was a complete let down..."We want to bring you the battlefield of the future with a hologram around your gun, a toy robot, and a cloaking gadget that works by magic."

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
I hadn't seen that demo until now, I can't believe a dev could possibly screw up so badly when they had such a promising prototype. At least other companies are just deceptive in the sense that they show you the best bits, or that they show you a good bit that isn't representative of the final product but at least is actually in the game (i.e brutal legend demo).

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Isnt this fraud?

This is fraud. Right?

I bought my game on steam, so I guess I'm fucked either way...but god damnit. Seeing how it COULD have been is just salt in the wound.

Yokillernick said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
OK...

But WHAT ABOUT THE MULTIPLAYER? I've already asked this in a similar thread but everyone's apparently still too busy crying about the campaign. Yes, it's crap. Didn't happen. Sorry. Let's move on now, shall we?
I'm not 100% sure how many people actually bought an Aliens game for the multiplayer. It's like asking how many people bought Battlefield 3 solely for the singleplayer, it just doesn't happen. Plus you are totally wrong about saying that the people cried over the game. It's their right since from what this shows they have been conned out of their £40-60 which I guess is a good reason to cry about. So you might want to concentrate on the company scamming you before you ask about the multiplayer, you know priorities.

OK moving on. Isn't pulling crap like this illegal ?
If the multiplayer was anywhere near the AVP from 1999 I would buy it only for that, fuck single player. But alas, consoles have fucked up fpses for all eternity.

I havent tried anything but coop yet, but I guess its shit. Like the rest of the game.

Atary77

Feb 27, 2008
This is the second video I've seen comparing the final game to the demo. Man this all is going to reflect badly on those involved. I really do hope we get an honest explanation as to why this was. I want to hear what really happened and why this was all done.

Knowing the industry pundants we'll just get a canned apology with no explanation at all. I sincerely wish the industry would be honest and transparent with us all and stop insulting our intelligence with fabrications like this.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
tzimize said:
Isnt this fraud?

This is fraud. Right?

I bought my game on steam, so I guess I'm fucked either way...but god damnit. Seeing how it COULD have been is just salt in the wound.
There have been reports of people getting refund in some way or another. Either by real money or just cash for your Steam Wallet. Might be worth a try?

I was exited about this game. Thankfully I didn't preorder it.

Tisiphone1

Doing Science
Dec 27, 2011
Makes me wonder if this demo was made by Gearbox itself....perhaps unlike the vast majority of the actual game, since they were busy with Borderlands 2.