Jimquisition: A-LIE-ns: Colonial Marines

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
lazarus1209 said:
This was possibly my most hotly anticipated game of the year, and they somehow found a way to gloriously fuck it up. It's amazing that they somehow managed to surprise everyone with how shit a product this ended up being.
Well, to be fair, this completely fake "demo" was a big reason why the game was so highly anticipated. If the game was anything like that... It might actually have been good.

What baffles me is why the demo looks so much better than the PC version? I mean, seriously, it's miles ahead - fog, lighting, weapon particle effects.. nothing looks like the actual game.

Companies should really be burned for bullshit like this.

As someone mentioned above, this should be treated like false advertisement and punished accordingly.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
OK...

But WHAT ABOUT THE MULTIPLAYER? Is it half-way decent? I've already asked this in a similar thread but everyone's apparently still too busy crying about the campaign. Yes, it's crap. Didn't happen. Sorry. Let's move on now, shall we?
Who cares about the multiplayer? There's enough MP shooter games already we need more single player ones.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Yokillernick said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
OK...

But WHAT ABOUT THE MULTIPLAYER? I've already asked this in a similar thread but everyone's apparently still too busy crying about the campaign. Yes, it's crap. Didn't happen. Sorry. Let's move on now, shall we?
I'm not 100% sure how many people actually bought an Aliens game for the multiplayer. It's like asking how many people bought Battlefield 3 solely for the singleplayer, it just doesn't happen. Plus you are totally wrong about saying that the people cried over the game. It's their right since from what this shows they have been conned out of their £40-60 which I guess is a good reason to cry about. So you might want to concentrate on the company scamming you before you ask about the multiplayer, you know priorities.

OK moving on. Isn't pulling crap like this illegal ?
Unfortunately I don't think so. They always put in the safety net of "this video may not be representative of the final product" bullshit. Although I wish someone would take them to task for it.

Personally I found it to be a very generic shooter. The leveling system is cool (as Jim says in his review) but the game is bland and poorly designed/executed at best.

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
Well...at least the demo looks pretty good? Maybe i'll just download that and enjoy 10 mins of well scripted Aliens stuff.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
You forgot to mention the game itself is buggy as all hell
Within five minutes of co op I fell through the map and kept falling for five minutes

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Dexter111 said:
Easton Dark said:
People should really stop pre-ordering unless there's some game play available to them. Patience saves you disappointment.
Yep, Pre-Ordering games is an inherently rather stupid consumer practice. Can't say I haven't done it myself several times, but usually on stuff I was rather sure of and I never got burned.

There was another long Total Biscuit rant about it on occasion of Aliens: Colonial Marines:
I have pre-ordered 1 game, 1 only and it will be my last. Coincedentally, it was a Gearbox game, Borderlands. Pre-ordered in 2009 (for the cheaper PC price of $50 which I guess helped) and I can't tell you how disappointed I was. I vowed that day to never again pre-order without seeing the game in action first, the final game.

I also saw that video yesterday. Agreed with everything.

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
Mother of hell is this disappointing. I'm very glad I forgot to pre-order. I don't think I'll be able to buy Gearbox products again. It's a principle thing. Borderlands is great, but jesus man. This is the second time the company has bilked people out of their money based on hype. (In this case, total bullshit.) I remember seeing this demo awhile back, jaw on the floor, the 6 year old in me giddy with anticipation of finally, FINALLY having a proper Colonial Marines game. I used to read the Dark Horse comics back in the day. I love this franchise. I came home from work, fired up the PC looking for early reviews and was absolutely shocked at what I found. What a disa-fucking-ppointment. Damn it Gearbox. You guys said you were Aliens nerds. Goddamn it. You fucked this one up badly. I was never really into Duke Nukem. I could forgive that. I was pissed for people that I felt were tricked into pre-ordering that game, but that was their choice to make. This is/was also a choice people made, but this franchise isn't Duke Nukem. Gearbox, c'mon. Aliens? A "canon" videogame sequel to one of my, and many others, top movies of all time? That demo that strung all of us hopefuls along and eventually got many, many pre-orders sold? Jesus hell man. You all fucked this one up royally.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Magmarock said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
OK...

But WHAT ABOUT THE MULTIPLAYER? Is it half-way decent? I've already asked this in a similar thread but everyone's apparently still too busy crying about the campaign. Yes, it's crap. Didn't happen. Sorry. Let's move on now, shall we?
Who cares about the multiplayer? There's enough MP shooter games already we need more single player ones.
Oh... and the MP blows too. Its too glitchy and just isn't properly balanced. It feels like a cool idea, but tacked on with the engine of the weak sauce single player game. The maps are quite tiny and when playing a xeno, you don't feel very mobile considering what you are.

Darklord008

Dec 14, 2011
Wow...I never cared about this game even when it was still being talked about in a "potential game of the year" light, but if I'd seen this, I probably would have gone out and pre-ordered it. Paying 60 bucks for such a sub-par game, and then seeing what it could have been...That's gotta REALLY hurt.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
It's annoying because we get to see what the game would have been like if Gear Box actually created the game. Instead we get to see what we should have had and are stuck with the actual product. How annoying is that. The animations in the demo are really good, that is why i bought the game. The gameplay looked good, there was a lot of high quality stuff going on and it looked like a lot of fun and a worthy canon followup to Aliens. What a mess.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Isnt this fraud?

This is fraud. Right?
No cause it's a demo they can cover their arse with the fact that it was a demo that it is not representative of the final product.

I wasn't really watching this game, but with it being an FPS and an Aliens title had it been decent I would have bought it. I waited a few hours after release to find out what the opinion was and when I read some of the early reviews I am glad I didn't pre order. The thing is the more I see of the demo and the build up 'gameplay' videos vs the final product the more tragic this gets.

Just remember these are the folk that gave us Borderlands 2... how the hell did they make such a mess of this game?

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
Other than, WOW I am surprised Gearbox would drop the ball, or the whole F'en pool table, on this one, I want a Space Hulk 40K video game made like that.

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Dexter111 said:
You can find an a/b comparison of certain scenes between the "Demo" they've shown and the actual game here, just showing the "Demo" and talking doesn't exactly have the same effect as comparing the two directly:
Yeah, saw that one on Jim's twitter. Amazing how much content got ripped out of the final game, and Jim didn't even mention the complete lack of dynamic shadows/fog/rain etc... Would have gotten the game if it was like the demo in an instant, now? Not so much.

Capatcha: "never mind" Guess that's what Ill do then.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
People are looking at this the wrong way; it's a conspiracy. Gearbox is doing okay, between Borderlands and XCOM they can get away with making a bad game that performs terribly and walk away unscathed. That's not the case with the publisher Sega, and Gearbox developed this game to give them a sucker punch and bring them one step closer to the brink.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
That messed that game up bad. Fact it has the Aliens name on it means you can wait a few more months to make it awesome. No need to rush it. It would sell on the name alone. Idiots.

Actually why rush it out? Whats so important that it had to be released now? Not like its christmas or anything. Would have been better to wait 6 months and have an awesome game that makes money. Than rushing it and all reviewers slating it and thus you sell nothing. Or is that to common sense?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I was wondering why the demo looked like it came from some parallel dimension where movie-license games learned how to not entirely suck (Goldeneye excluded).

When you outsource a project, definitely keep quality-control in mind, or you end up with controversy like this that really should not be.

Airon

Jan 8, 2012
Oh man. That's bloody aweful!

I loved the AVP2 game from ten years ago. Had me jumping out of my fucking skin.

This is almost "Duke 2 1/2 - the search for more money". Cue Kevin Kline's line in Fish Called Wanda right after opening the safe.

"ok. ok..... DISSAPOINTEEEED!!"

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Wow.

And so go my fantasies about buying the Wii U just because the tablet had the motion sensor on it.

No reason to get it at all, anymore.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Have you ever thought that this is a gameplay demo and not a content demo?
All you're saying is that the scenes in the demon don't happen in the game which is nothing new or bad. They give you a demo to show you the gameplay without showing you much content.