Jimquisition: A-LIE-ns: Colonial Marines

Ix Rebound

Jan 10, 2012
i think i can speak for more than just me when I say that i would have preferred the game be held back for longer if it had ended up like the demo

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Dascylus said:
I will be buying the game regardless.
Not that I don't trust Jim... In fact the timing of it all lends credit to the idea that he has been sitting on this for a while.
I'm guessing he played the game pre-release for review purposes but had to sign some form of NDA that prevented him from telling us sooner...
But anyway, I love all things Aliens so it's on my purchase list.
Just wait until June. It'll be going for $20 max by that point.

Dascylus

May 22, 2010
PainInTheAssInternet said:
Dascylus said:
Not that I don't trust Jim... In fact the timing of it all lends credit to the idea that he has been sitting on this for a while.
I'm guessing he played the game pre-release for review purposes but had to sign some form of NDA that prevented him from telling us sooner...
I like the reasoning... My wallet also agrees.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
dragongit said:
I haven't seen game controversy this bad since the WarZ
To be fair the trainwreck of WarZ is still going strong and this while a big issue doesn't even touch the amount of scams and BS that game has made its unfortunate fans go through. lol

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Dascylus said:
Dascylus said:
I like the reasoning... My wallet also agrees.
Mine as well. I was one of the suckers who pre-ordered the Collector's Edition (the bastard cost $100 and didn't include the DLC) so I could use Ripley's equipment. I so badly wanted this game to be good.

Anyways, I saw the reviews, ran into EB Games and got a refund (notably AFTER it was in stock).

I'm gonna wait. I'm not even sure it'll take until June to find its way into the bin. As for the Collector's Edition, maybe Ebay will be of assistance.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Wow... just wow.

I didn't even buy the game, but after seeing that I'm pretty furious. That demo looks absolutely amazing, it's everything an Aliens game should be. Could this be considered false advertising?

Gearbox must be laughing all the way to the bank with all those pre-orders they had. Well I for one hope karma hits them like a ton of Xenomorphs.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
MarsAtlas said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
Well hey, look on the bright side.

At least Gearbox have now managed to blow a massive hole in Jesse Scehll's "Demos hurt sales" theory.
This isn't the type of demo he was talking about, though. He used numbers from the Xbox Live Marketplace, actually. There's a stage demo, and a demo you, the player, gets to play at a home - the ones he was talking about. Here's an example of the difference: all Mass Effect games had a stage demo, but Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 are the only ones with a distributed demo for the masses, not just a select few people. The E3 2012 Colonial Marines showcase had a hands on demo of the multiplayer, but it wasn't distributed to the masses. In fact, only Gearbox employees allowed to play the xenomorphs, which makes a lot of sense, now that we've got the final product.
I realized that after a bit more reading. Since i hadn't been following the game at all i figured it was the "standard" definition of a demo i.e. the kind that you put out to actually let people play it. Though i was under the impression stage demos were supposed to serve the same purpose as regular demos in that they show of gameplay. So i understand the outrage from the people who were hyped for the game, 'cause i'd feel pretty betrayed as well.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
So, advertize a game with content that isn't even in the game....?
I want to say that's illegal, but hell everyone does it.

Look at all the fast food commercials, their food looks like delicious high tier food, and ends up being hockey pucks >.>

PortalThinker113

Jul 13, 2010
LazyAza said:
Lies and deception are kinda Gearbox's thing now between this, Duke and Borderlands 2. People forget how god damn amazing Borderlands 2 looked in its trailers and while the actual game got closer to its marketing yet again the ads are incredibly over selling what the game is. I'm definitely not giving any of their products a look until they are released and reviewed ever again.

Thank god I held back on CM or I'd have blown another 50 odd dollars on a lie.
As much as I love Borderlands 2, there's definitely truth in this.

I seem to recall statements made in the GameInformer cover reveal where Gearbox talked about a system in which the player would experience dynamic, branching missions that had different outcomes. For example, in a quest where you have to save a captured ally, you could save him and have the next mission go one way, or fail to save him and have the next mission go a different way. What happened to that? Obviously, it must have been cut, but it was never brought up again after that cover article. Gearbox seems to be caught over-hyping their games a lot, don't they?

OP: I was one of the poor suckers who pre-ordered Colonial Marines. I wanted this game to be good so badly. Now, I'm forcing myself through the campaign for a combination of obligation and a curious "find all the things that went wrong here" investigation. I'm trying a pacifist run where I exploit the incredibly stupid AI and try to get through the rest of the game firing as few shots as possible. Sadly, this is pretty easy to do, even on Hardened mode, which I'm playing on.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Sounds/looks to me like they ran into hardware limitations and had to cut a lot of things out.

I would assume they(the devs) were as heartbroken as we are about it, but the console generation is seriously out of date by now. Thems the breaks, wait until next generation for this kind of game play.

Jim goes on an angry rant as if they were just stupid or something, but I seriously doubt thats the case. They probably ran out of funding or (as I said) ran into hardware limitations. So the actual game couldn't play like the demo did.

Edit: Or time limitations. Funders don't give them "until its done" to polish these games, you know.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
You have AVP. You don't need this one. Enough games go to shit because they crowbar-in multiplayer.
AvP2 is unbalanced in the predators favor and AvP is too old. I don't know about AvP 2010 but I'm sure nobody plays that anymore as well.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:
A-LIE-ns: Colonial Marines

Sterling walks through Gearbox's walkthrough of Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Watch Video
Hey Jim when you go through things like this for your job I always wonder.....is it tough to be a god?
Anyway good job loved how you exposed the lies of the corporation and the game!

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
I...I.... I don't know what to say. I was throwing money at my screen... how could such an awesome demo spawn what is probably the biggest wreck of the year so far...

I seriously wonder how Gearbox can nail Borderlands, this demo and then throw out the crap that was A:CM

Oh well, at least I still have my Natural Selection. Which is awesome.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Naqel said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
then the other half is you saying "this dosen't happen" about a scene/story element/plot detail.
Then again, I might just be nitpicking, because I actually like when a demo has a dedicated sequence, instead of plot spoilers.
I was thinking the same thing, the original half life demo was a completely separate story from the main game and it was fine, but I do wonder if a demo does need to contain the same story elements.

What if the demo shows a good story but the actual game is completely different and terrible. It would be like seeing a trailer for Star Wars, but when you go see it you get Pride and Prejudice.

Goro

Oct 15, 2009
Country
Australia
I got the edition with the statue... And.... It's a pretty good statue? All else is rancid. This game is a better tie in with Prometheus - the unfulfilled promise series. I'm going to try like hell for a refund...

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Ulquiorra4sama said:
Well hey, look on the bright side.

At least Gearbox have now managed to blow a massive hole in Jesse Scehll's "Demos hurt sales" theory.
Technically they still got the sales BECAUSE they had no demo all. All it cost them was their buyers respect!