Jimquisition: A-LIE-ns: Colonial Marines

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Dexter111 said:
You can find an a/b comparison of certain scenes between the "Demo" they've shown and the actual game here, just showing the "Demo" and talking doesn't exactly have the same effect as comparing the two directly:

Arnoxthe1 said:
OK...

But WHAT ABOUT THE MULTIPLAYER? Is it half-way decent? I've already asked this in a similar thread but everyone's apparently still too busy crying about the campaign. Yes, it's crap. Didn't happen. Sorry. Let's move on now, shall we?
Just get Natural Selection 2 or AvP (2010) instead.

Thank you that really helped me better understand what some of the differences were in the game vs the demo especially the ai. God it really looks like shit by comparison. it almost makes you wonder what we would say without something "better" to compare it to.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
rhizhim said:
but it turns out its just another pre rendered thing that was labeled as actual gameplay just like duke nukem forever.
They did that with DukeNukem Forever? As in, released prerendered animation as gameplay?

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
Mister Six said:
Jesus. I thought people were blowing how bad the game was out of proportion by comparing it to Duke Nukem, but Christ if this true Gearbox really dropped the ball.
I think it's worse than Duke in that Duke Nukem Forever was simply a bad game, however this Alien game is an utter lie when compared to the demo. I believe if the demo had been sincere it might not have pissed everyone so much and just passed as "another bad Alien game".

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
The comparison video which Dexter111 posted was incredibly jarring. The graphics in the final game are a fucking embarrassment. I'd go so far as to say that some of those textures look like they were lifted from Rebellion's AvP - the 1999 version.

AyaReiko

Aug 9, 2008
Siege_TF said:
People are looking at this the wrong way; it's a conspiracy. Gearbox is doing okay, between Borderlands and XCOM they can get away with making a bad game that performs terribly and walk away unscathed. That's not the case with the publisher Sega, and Gearbox developed this game to give them a sucker punch and bring them one step closer to the brink.
XCom is Firaxis/2K. Gearbox has ACM, BL, and Duke.

- - -

Gearbox really needs to be taken to task for this blatant bit of false advertising. It's like seeing an ad for a Quarter Pounder w/ Cheese, going to a McDonald's, ordering a QPwC, and getting a fish head wrapped in week-old lettuce instead. No one would put up with that kind of shit, and neither should anyone who got suckered in by Gearbox's lies.

el derpenburgo

Jan 7, 2012
As someone who never really followed this whole thing and the was confused by the nerdrage over it this video is pretty helpful. Makes me wonder why there isn't a wiki for internet blowouts, I still have no idea where the WarZ thing went. :/

edited for me being stoopid

SweetWarmIce

Jun 1, 2009
I remember watching this demo ages ago so I assumed the final game would be a bit different. Not to that extent though kinda like how the Halo 2 demo at E3 had nothing that was in the final game.

I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition, I might be too forgiving but I am having fun wtih the game and think it was worth my money. They've the got the Marines and their weapons perfectly nailed.

The Xenomorphs do swarm you but they jump onto the ceilings and walls while coming and they do try to flank and surround. When on their own they hide behind objects and hiss to lure you in. I was also surprised about how quickly they can kill you, no God mode COD that's for sure.

Fighting the human enemies is annoying and tedious, graphics aren't the best but the gameplay is smooth and I didn't encounter any bugs or glitches like other people have. Winters can be a bit of a blank slate but he does have his moments as do the rest of the cast. I haven't touched the multiplayer yet.

Could have been a lot better but could have been worse too.

wolfyrik

Jun 18, 2012
michael87cn said:
Sounds/looks to me like they ran into hardware limitations and had to cut a lot of things out.

I would assume they(the devs) were as heartbroken as we are about it, but the console generation is seriously out of date by now. Thems the breaks, wait until next generation for this kind of game play.

Jim goes on an angry rant as if they were just stupid or something, but I seriously doubt thats the case. They probably ran out of funding or (as I said) ran into hardware limitations. So the actual game couldn't play like the demo did.

Edit: Or time limitations. Funders don't give them "until its done" to polish these games, you know.
Dood, what are you smoking? Have you seen skyrim, the lighting mods for it? Have you seen Dead Space? Hell, even Bioshock. They do exactly what A:CM failed to do.
And Jim isn't acting like they were stupid, he's acting like they lied. Which they did. Put this into context. Gearbox/Sega, released the demo video with the expectations that this would be the gameplay. They then gagged any review from discussing the game until day of release.

At no point did they mention or allow to be mentioned that the graphics, animation and content were scaled back, drastically, for ANY reason. What you are saying might make sense if other previous Alien games over the last ten years hadn't existed and done a better job in many ways.

Fact is, they mislead consumers, held back anychance anyone had of knowing what had becoem of the game, continued to pretend everything was a-ok, then hoodwinked everyone. They knew that pre-orders would sell on this game based on the footage they released and the obvious fan anticipation. There is nothing reasonable or regretful about this. They could have told us that they fucked up, they didn't. They could have even tried to blame it on hardware limitations. They didn't. They took the money and ran.

Maybe, with enough backlash, they may try to make some good on this.

And EA pigs might fly.

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
Wow...I...don't know how they managed to do it...but Gearbox ACTUALLY justified the argument of illegally downloading a game to demo it...

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Glad you made this Jim, this was very fitting.

Another DUKE style release. oh well glad i didnt buy that game.

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
Smilomaniac said:
How long has the actual title been under work? I mean specifically Aliens: Colonial Marines, because I remember hearing about this before AvP2(the game - not the movie) which was a lot of years ago.
There WAS a previous 'Colonial Marines' game in development years back. But that one got cancelled, and this one by Gearbox has only been in like the last...I think, 3-4'ish years in development at most. But just like Duke Nukem it was simply that they took too much time developing/promoting a game, while failing to make the game itself better. They DID try and make it look better and more sleek, but that took away from the time needed for making the game fun. Because while there are people who say the game looks like crap, it actually looks pretty impressive in terms of that old'school Sci-Fi gritty/sleekness that the movies had (Aliens HAS a reason to be full of gray and dull backgrounds, and guns that sound out of synch with the muzzle flash).

But overall they hyped the game, focused too much on licensing and being 100% accurate to little details most people won't notice (ie. the muzzle flash and out of synch gunfire, which was in the actual movies), and getting the 100% go ahead from the series creator. Plus it might've also had to do with trying to compete with fast-paced action shooters of this generation (COD, Battlefield, ect.), and less on the horror aspect that the Aliens universe inspires. (Kinda how Deadspace went from 'Jump and scream like a girl in #1' to 'Stomp aliens to death while singing Cotten Eyed Joe in #3', and YES that was a Critical Miss reference).

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
My brother got this game. He was glad that he didn't get the CE, but he texted me that, "wall running in AVP was better than this" and that "XMen Destiny had more replayability than this". His gamer pride was hurt, but it wasn't until I directed him to the YouTube video depicting the difference between the demo and the actual game that his pride was absolutely crushed.

He sleeps now with a broken heart, much like one Jimothy Sterling.

Sordin

Aug 5, 2011
I am so disappointed. I had literally only just watched alien and aliens a week or so before this came out and loved both. Then I remembered this game and got a bit hyped. And then. Saw a couple of reviews which said it was just mediocre and I thought maybe I could pick it up when it was cheap. And then. I heard from everyone else that it was a pile of tripe and not even worth waiting for it to be cheap. I feel very let down

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
Ronack said:
So, basically... False advertising? Isn't that against the law in the US of A?
In practice, no. Capitalism and all that. Even in the rare cases where advertisers fail to loophole their way out of breaking the law there is no actual punishment for false advertising in the US. No fines. No sentences. Literally not even a slap on the wrist.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Ronack said:
So, basically... False advertising? Isn't that against the law in the US of A?
That big "work in progress" watermark they had at the beginning of the "demo" absolves them of false advertising claims. From there they can come up with any number of excuses for why the game doesn't look like this; especially if they never actually said it was true gameplay footage. (there are a number of ways to not say that while still tricking the public that you are and get away with it legally) Which is a damn shame because that looked really awesome; they may have had an unexpected customer in me had it not been fake.

Roman Monaghan

Nov 20, 2010
I am just so disappointed with what a travesty this game turned out to be. It's fucking disgraceful really. I was looking forward to this game for six years. I was expecting THE Aliens game.

I can't even bring myself to be mad. I'm just.... I don't even know.