Jimquisition: Angry Birds Is Not Sh*t

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Are there that many people really hating the game? I've missed it. You defended your case well, Jim, but is the opposition really so substantial? Maybe it's because I've just not played Angry Birds (no hate here, just disinterest in those kind games in general. I don't think it is available on my phone anyway).

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
actually this is the first time i heard that people are talking bad about angry birds
i see it everywhere

but yes...the call of duty syndrome should have its own wikipedia page

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
With many of his recent topics discussed I'm getting the impression of Jim Sterling being the normal guy competing in the Special Olympics. Yeah what he says is all true but you pretty much have to be an idiot to think otherwise, and the escapist is probably the most idiot-free gaming website out there. While these idiots do exist a vast number of them are probably just stupid kids anyways being spoon-fed the latest big budget release with little diversity and no perspective on the history of gaming.

Dec 27, 2010
JustaGigolo said:
Angry Birds is the same flash game I've played a million times on Addictinggames during class.
This is my problem with it as well. I've seen thousands of Flash games (not just Crush the Castle) that have pretty much the same gameplay mechanics (although the premise is fairly original, so points for that). And Rovio seem to be making way to much money out of it as well. I mean seriously; Angry Birds the movie sounds like a bad joke, not a modestly budgeted CG game tie-in.

OT; Uhmm..... Jim, what sort of retards do you hang around with? Because I have never heard a bad word about Angry Birds (except from trolls).

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
People hate on Angry Birds? Seriously?

It's a fun little app game. What's the problem?

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
JustaGigolo said:
Angry Birds is the same flash game I've played a million times on Addictinggames during class.

It might not be shit, but it's nothing original or deserving of praise.

If anything, it's just proof that you can take an unoriginal idea, and make a shit ton of cash with it.
agreed. It's like none of the iPhone users had ever played flash games...

oh wait.

Charles McGuffin

Aug 4, 2011
JustaGigolo said:

If anything, it's just proof that you can take an unoriginal idea, and make a shit ton of cash with it.
Just as Call of Duty, Legend of Zelda, Gears of War, God of War, Super Mario and a lot more I can't remember right now.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
You just know that the people who decry Angry Birds as the video game anti-christ secretly play it when they're alone.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
JustaGigolo said:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

OT

It's cool that people like it yet its really overhyped.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I've really come around to The Jimquisition and like that he seems to have found his niche in going against the general feelings of the most vocal parts of the Escapist community. Now all he has to do is an episode on Valve, Minecraft or JRPGs...

cardinalwiggles

is the king of kong
Jun 21, 2009
wow i honestly never knew there was soo much criticism with this game. i just imagined it was another one of these iphone games that get popular for about a month then the next one comes along. seeing as i don't have an iphone i don't take notice but can't condemn it. i knew there was a one like it in the past but as jim said it's all about plagarising for you. everyone does it. good luck to ya if you can take an idea and make it work for you

hipster666

Dec 13, 2009
Personally I think the thing that put a lot of gamers noses out of joint were the loud choruses of casual gamers trumpetting the "new" and "totally original" concept of Angry Birds which just was never true! Personally I couldn't see what all the fuss was about as my brother bragged about his new iPad, I mean Angry Birds screen, when I'd played it many times before and often with more innovative level design.

For me, the best thing about Angry Birds is the polished graphical concept. It had a cute storyline, no bloodshed and something cartoony enough but with a Looney Tunes edge to appeal to adults and kids alike. Fair enough. You take an already popular game style and polish it until it shines. Well done now can we all move on? Nope, apparently not...

dbenoy

Jul 7, 2011
Great clip Jim! Once again you knock the haters down a peg :D

Personally though I don't like Angry Birds because I'm not a fan of the way it rewards the player.

There's too much 'randomness'. You can figure out the optimum strategy to beat a specific level, or get the high score you want very quickly, but actually executing that strategy can take hours; not because it takes a lot of skill and practice, but because a very tiny difference in your throw can result in a big difference in the results.

Ever seen those mobile slot machine games? Where you just play a slot machine for fake money and all you do is press the same button over and over and eventually by law of averages, you end up winning? I think those games are in a similar part of the skill/luck spectrum as Angry Birds.

That doesn't mean they're not valid or fun, but I can totally see why a 'hardcore' gamer would be annoyed with it. They go into it with a mindset of learning a new skill and they don't get what they seek. And then, they hear from people about how the game is great and they internalize that to mean that all their skills at Guitar Hero and Call of Duty are unappreciated. (<-- I just described my own reaction to the game, btw. I know it's irrational, because there's different games for different people and we can all be happy, but on a gut level, someone who plays Angry Birds or a slot machine game all day and still calls themselves a gamer like me is besmirching my passion for games)

(P.S: I'm not saying that it's ALL luck, mind you. If anyone reading this is proud of their Angry Birds skills, then I mean no offense. I just maintain that the game design intentionally tries to de-emphasize repeatability and predictability)

(P.P.S: Sorry for the long post)

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Well I don't hate Angry Birds, nor have I ever really expressed any hate for it in a serious manner. It exists, and I have no problem with that. I just personally don't play it so much, cause after downloading it, I just felt like the genre of game in general kinda had too much of a sense of 'hit or miss' to it; a lot of it was to do with blind luck as much as technicalities, and I'm not going to bother putting in the hours to hone my skills with Angry Bird to the point that luck isn't a factor anymore. So I dunno, whenever someone mentions Angry Birds I don't rage about it, but I'm kinda more "meh, I'm not so much a fan of Angry Birds"

I do play phone games, don't get me wrong... Angry Birds just isn't a particular favourite, just like Medal of Honour isn't a particular favourite console game. I just prefer stuff like Doodle Jump and Cut The Rope personally, both of which I think has a lot more to do with technical skill.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
bringer of illumination said:
Yeah, no Jim. No.

Angry Birds isn't "adapted" from Crush the Castle, it's the EXACT same game, only with a cartoon overlay and touch-screen controls. Crush the Castle doesn't play anything like Worms, and the fact that you're comparing two games that different. And saying that Worms=Crush the Castle=Angry Birds is a load fucking codswallop.

Rovio stole from a flash game maker and made millions and millions of dollars off of his work.
And why he hasn't sued is because Apple would just wave endless money at the judge and lawyers.
God, I wish Angry Birds didn't exist for the fact that Crush the Castle is just the same game, but better. AND FREE!

Also, the comparision to worms and crush the castle pisses me off to no extent, NO GAME is = to Worms, Worms is very, very different from a lot of games, the only game that comes CLOSE to being like it is Hedge Wars, which was inspired by the series.

RandV80 said:
With many of his recent topics discussed I'm getting the impression of Jim Sterling being the normal guy competing in the Special Olympics. Yeah what he says is all true but you pretty much have to be an idiot to think otherwise, and the escapist is probably the most idiot-free gaming website out there. While these idiots do exist a vast number of them are probably just stupid kids anyways being spoon-fed the latest big budget release with little diversity and no perspective on the history of gaming.
Only got one thing to say, hes from Destructoid. Their community differs from Escapist level, and then to little CoDers and then even littlier shits. He is so used to THAT community, its sorta hard for him to adjust to ours.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Angry Birds is the first and so far only game that my mom likes and plays regularly on her iPad. I was literally freaking out when I heard her talking to a friend of hers about the game and how many stars she's earned.