Jimquisition: Beneath A Steel Skyrim

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Beneath A Steel Skyrim

What does a huge, open-world roleplaying game and a linear point-and-click adventure from the 90's have in common? Well, aside from the fact they have the honor of The Jimquisition's attention, they both succeed in delivering the same thing, despite using almost completely opposite methods to do so. Confused? You won't be after you watch this intense, sexy episode!

Watch Video

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I agree with this. I have never played a horror game more terrifying than Yahtzee's Chzo Mythos series. If you know what you do you can do amazing things with so little. In fact his games worked because they were in close quarters.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
A small, tight space can be just as fun sure. Course what you mentioned can also be attuned to pretty much anything, in that if a developer is good.

Though I also like sprawling areas that give the place your in some more depth. Like Rapture from Bioshock, you couldn't go everywhere sure but it made the place seem all the more fantastic.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Great ep. However! Thre image of Jim Sterling standing by his podium without any pants will haunt my dreams

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
Good episode, I also think it's worth mentioning that you can download Beneath A Steel Sky for free from GOG

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
This is why I love the Legend of Zelda, the scenes, races and locales are kept through the series and makes you feel at home most of the time, even if there is always different shit happening in each installment, but I still wish I lived there.

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
I think point and click adventure games do this the best in Modern times, espicially on the DS, Phoenix Wright, 999, Professor Layton.

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
Sam and Max, i forgot i how much i really love Sam and Max. more sam and max, but yeah they do have some really great story and still ridiculously funny made me so happy.

RockPlazaCentral

Oct 28, 2010
I remember being so engaged by the first part of Grand Theft Auto III, when you could not cross the bridge. I became so familiar with the roads that I did not need to look at the map in the bottom corner. I loved driving straight to the sports car dealership and stealing the blue sports car and just driving fast through that small part of the city while knowing every turn and jump.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
This is one of the large reasons I scoff at the arguments of "immersion." Because games that are the supposed antithesis of the "immersive" elements of Skyrim are similarly engrossing.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I know its not exactly the same but this is whats wrong with some of my favourite comics/manga at the mo.

Naruto was far more enjoyable when its characters had a few select moves that they had to use differently according to the task at hand. Cheating on a test, freeing their sensei from a water prison, waiting for the right opportunity to strike back against a powerful opponent. Now its all leet moves and hax... which is just lame. Bleach is doing it to... which makes it twice as lame...

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Dunno if this counts, but Portal takes place in one environment (Aperture Labs) and was awesome, so I think I take your meaning.

sinn3r

Apr 23, 2011
jacobythehedgehog said:
I think one great example of this is Prince of Persia[snip]
+1, good sir.

If you are refering to the original from 1989, indeed.

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
Reminds me of what DA2 tried to do with Kirkwall, though perhaps not successfully.

Personally, I prefer massive, sweeping environments, at least for my RPGs - a sense of journey and discovery, finding a remote village and never knowing what's over the next hill.

sta697

Mar 31, 2011
maybe that's the same feeling i have with skyrim,it's so big it's empty.don't get me wrong i loved it for 100 hours,but they made a world so big that it's not evolving,doesn't have enough intresting characters and makes me not wanting more.100 hours is certainly impressive and well worth the money but it didn't quite sucked me in like deus ex hr,or even fallout nv.

da2 didn't try that and didn't succed they were just greedy and lazy,or else there would be more than a cave

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
What was the connection between the two games again? Beyond you enjoying them both of course.

Anyway, a game that's taken that familier location and perverted it into something horrific would be Silent Hill 4: The Room. They did a great job of making you feel trapped and it never got dull because you were always finding new things by checking the same items over and over. There's also a good horror moment in the game that wouldn't work unless you so familier with the room:

after decending into that pit and beating all the levels again, you finally reach the bottom and are about to discover the mystery behind everything... only to open the door and be back in your room again. Such a tease.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Djinn8 said:
What was the connection between the two games again? Beyond you enjoying them both of course.
The environments.
If they're carefully crafted, a small locale can be as good as or better than a map the size of a small country.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Pretty sure you can watch your own videos if you're that desperate to get the Jim Sterling experience dude.