Jimquisition: Bonus Jimquisition: Among the Sleep Preview

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
I'm looking forward to this. I've always wanted to like a horror game, but since they all have terrible fighting mechanics (often times on purpose), as I play as an adult government agent that can't throw a punch, I could never really admire them. Being a two year-old would force the game into stealth and avoidance with no chance of fighting back.

Dec 15, 2009
My only complaint about that game trailer/preview is that I live with a two year old and he can outrun a freaking gazelle without any fear of falling. Other than that it looks quite good, even with nothing really happening it was creepy. The idea of making the player a child is brilliant, I cannot think of a better way to instill a sense of helplessness and vulnerability.

Namechangeday

Aug 13, 2012
Cute (and creepy) game. I wish I had the money to spend on the Kickstarter :(
I also (overall) enjoyed the video ;)

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Jimothy Sterling said:
Frybird said:
Thanks for nothing.
You are welcome, and you're worth it, my friend!
Thanks for YOU!

p.s. We need a Jim version of this [http://underhanded.org/work/ff_office.jpg] for the Escapist bunker, to ummm... benevolently gaze upon our editors. :D

And possibly haunt Paul [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/WMDogma]'s dreams. We like to keep him in a constant state of fear/paranoia.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
You Can said:
My only complaint about that game trailer/preview is that I live with a two year old and he can outrun a freaking gazelle without any fear of falling. Other than that it looks quite good, even with nothing really happening it was creepy. The idea of making the player a child is brilliant, I cannot think of a better way to instill a sense of helplessness and vulnerability.
yeah, two seems to be a little old to still be crawling, i am the oldest of all my cousins and none of them were still crawling at two.
so i will just pretend the kid is like a year and a half because this looks really interesting

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I'm a bit worried that, being a toddler's nightmare, it wouldn't make much sense when things get spookier, but otherwise, it looks like a pretty neat horror game.

Also, that toddler might well be Garret in his infancy, seriously, that reminded me a lot of the Thief games, especially 3 as you can see your entire body and shadows in that game.

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
Frybird said:
Thanks for nothing.
You are welcome, and you're worth it, my friend!
Now THAT'S funny. Thank God for you.

This looks like a game I could play. I'll see what the finished product looks like before I decide.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
This game promises to be fucking brilliant if they nail the tone right.

If the monsters aren't things a child would normally fear, but ramped up to 11, then ehh. One thing I though Amnesia was lacking was particularly scary monsters. Once you saw them it was lame.

I could never get those Amnesia door controls down either, the monsters must have thought I was fucking stupid, slamming my head into doors constantly while trying to run away.

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
I wonder if the game is going to do something like tell the story in a way that what the child is dreaming is a representation of all the stuff going on in real life. So instead of it being like Silent Hill where the town is a manifestation of the guys insecurities and the like, this will be kind of a reversal where the dream is the catalyst for the representation of what is actually going on in this child's life. That might be cliche depending on who is looking at it, but i think it would be a pretty good idea.

Xariat

Jan 30, 2011
This looks pretty promising, I know I've got it on my radar after watching this, thanks Jim.

As for the song you kept mentioning; it's a Swedish/Norwegian lullaby, so it is an actual song that mothers sing to their baby children. Just thought I'd mention that.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
twm1709 said:
I thought you said that after A:CM you were done with previews? sorry if I'm mistaken...
Yeah, he said this was less a preview, more of a hands-on walkthrough kind of thing because he's extremely interested in the game. I don't think he chose the title. That's what it sounded like when someone asked him on Twitter earlier, anyway.

As for the game itself, I've been following it pretty closely, but was actually sort of disappointed when it turned to Kickstarter. I have a sinking feeling that this crowdfunding pool is going to dry up soon, and I don't want this game left floundering. The concept intrigues me SOOO much. Hopefully they get their funding, because I'll be oh so sad if this never gets released.

Dascylus

May 22, 2010
Xariat said:
This looks pretty promising, I know I've got it on my radar after watching this, thanks Jim.

As for the song you kept mentioning; it's a Swedish/Norwegian lullaby, so it is an actual song that mothers sing to their baby children. Just thought I'd mention that.
My ex sang it to my kids... It always felt like a creepy creepy song to me. Kids have a weird attitude about creepy though. Surprise games of peekaboo or swinging them by their legs around the room apparently are no problem but when mum blows her nose without warning it's all screams and tears.

Anyway, this game looks like it captures what being a two year old is. Sneaky curious loveable little goblins. You think you can babyproof something and then they turn into Macguyver/Batman. The world becomes their adventure game as they use the Monkey Island method of trying everything in their posession with every object they find to try and get a desired result.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
That looked... kinda boring actually . Is this a visual novel ? Can the baby die? Best thing i can say is that it'S artsy i guess.

Dec 15, 2009
teebeeohh said:
yeah, two seems to be a little old to still be crawling, i am the oldest of all my cousins and none of them were still crawling at two.
so i will just pretend the kid is like a year and a half because this looks really interesting
Also I'm pretty sure most two year old's are tall enough to open doors, unless they suffer from dwarfism or something. The fact that the kid starts out in a crib would, in my mind, likely put his age well below two as well. Unless it's all because of the kid's messed up dream, or something.

kreekgod

Jul 12, 2010
while i like the idea of maybe playing a toddler in a videogame, im not entirely sure a horror story is the way to go with that

Varewulf

Nosgoth Fanboy
Oct 22, 2009
As soon as I heard the lullaby melody I went "hang on, are these guys Norwegian?" and it turns out that yes, yes they are. Neat. It definitely looks interesting, but... I'm really wimpy when it comes to horror games. ^^;;