Jimquisition: Breaking the Bones of Business

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Breaking the Bones of Business

A new business model comes along, designed to attract gamers with interesting ideas and consumer-friendly pricing.

Watch Video

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
How many Jim Bucks do I need for the hidden erotic gay fanfiction ending with Yahtzee?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I agree. I find myself getting sick of gaming and the industry more and more. I'm getting Dead Space 3 because like you, as much as I dislike EA's practices, I genuinely enjoy the series. I am getting Bioshock Infinite because I love the look of it. Beyond that though? I look at most developers and most games and I don't see an enjoyable game, I see for the lack of a better description, a bunch of politicians trying to see what they can claw from us.

guyliam103

Mar 27, 2012
I totally agree, I just don't want the industry to crash again.
Also, Euro Truck Simulator 2 is amazing.

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009
Jim, your desk is awesome. Where did you get the terminator and darksiders mask?

Good episode though, I do completely agree, I saw something promising but now I see some sort of frankenstein monster that these ideas have become.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
I...I want Euro Truck Simulator 2... reminds me that I need to get around to getting my HGV licence.

TwiZtah

Sep 22, 2011
Haven't bought an EA or Activision game in ages now, because fuck them and their fucking greed.

Lord Draenor

Sep 20, 2010
RRRRAAAAAGE! Pretty much sums up the situation. I don't even buy DLC unless it's bundled with the whole game and at a ludicrous discount. Don't see any reason to pay for something that's obviously a missing part of the main game

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
In short, "This is why we can't have nice things."

DVS BSTrD said:
Who says the subscription based model is outdated?
I'd say the failure of TOR, most likely.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
My my that was maginficent. "Fuck you, games industry" indeed.

I feel like just holding up this video and saying "this" even though I can't think of what I'd be responding to. Kudos Sir Jim, you the are the hero we need right now.

Kekkonen1

Nov 8, 2010
Watching these videos where you spew hatred at the industry's anti-consumer behaviour is like therapy for me, it stops the hate and bitterness from boiling over. Thank you!

I am so bloody tired of unimaginative AAA-games made by a committee of old greedy men who have tweaked the product so it will have such a broad market that it in reverse effect becomes virtually indistinguishable to all other AAA-games being made with the same goal in mind. I am so tired of watching through last years "best games"-lists or the games coming out in 2013 and seeing virtually nothing I feel like playing anymore. I just stopped having fun with the whole AAA-industry and if it weren't for old games, indie-games and smaller titles such as Xcom and Baldurs Gate: EE I wouldn't have anything to play. Maybe its better this way.

Azex

Jan 17, 2011
I hope SterlingCorp takes south african rands. i need me some JonCon merch

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
At this point I want to see the industry crash again. Maybe then publishers will get it through their thick skulls that the way they do business only hurts the industry.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
So what you're saying is "Death to EA". I am 100% behind this! Burn EA to the ground! Chase Bioware into the waiting arms of Valve!

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
woah...
what. the fuck. is.
FINAL FANTASY: ALL THE BRAVEST
what kind of mess is that D:? I haven't seen any pictures/footage of it before, but wtf...
Also I felt pretty reluctant towards DLC (back when it was new) for the same reasons, because it was quite obvious what that will lead to:
ingame advertising
+ full price at purchase
+ pay to unlock more than 20% of the game with every percent costing more than the initial price.
considering this, they're actually pretty fair, giving you the first 20% for the price of one... : D

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Yeah the video game industry needs another crash or at the very least a serious kick in its ass.
Also only going to pay for a blue tie alternative skin.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
There really is an easy way to do this, though it's already been said many times before. Simply let publishers know with your wallet what you'll accept and not accept. I buy EA games when they don't screw me over. I bought ME3 used, but I bought SSX new... because one had DLC practices I liked and the other didn't. I don't buy Ubisoft games on the PC period. I haven't bought a Final Fantasy game since 12, but I bought Sleeping Dogs and Deus Ex: HR because those were good games that Squeenix had other developers make. Capcom is virtually dead to me, but I'll buy Okami HD just so they know that's the last thing decent they published. And I haven't bought anything from Sega since Valkyria Chronicles since they've shown they can't make and keep an IP to save their life save perhaps Total War, and a dev they own makes that instead.

Again, never say you'll boycot... because hardly anyone ever perseveres enough to stick to it. Buy what's good, buy what's fair, and let everything else fester as a signal to all publishers concerning what you're willing to put up with.