Jimquisition: Breaking the Bones of Business

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Eve Charm said:
The industry won't crash. As bad as it gets it won't crash at all because call of duty, madden, assassin's creed, and any other low risk title that sells millions a company can keep pumping out every year. Sure more studios will shut down, but hell as long as the big guys can buy whatever is worth money and still put it out like they did THQ nothing is going to miss a beat.

And people won't not buy the next call of duty, or the next installment of X game, and the DLC season pass or coins cause heck that's about the only game they buy for a while.

Hell I bet in 2 years Activision will be Kickstarting to raise the funds for the next call of duty so it doesn't cost them a time, 500 dollars for a clan tag and all the dlc ;p
You know, Call of Duty won't sell forever. In fact, it is a fast burn and will also burn out quickly (one day people will just stop). There have been successful franchises come and go and Call of Duty is no different. Remember when it was all about Mario, then Sonic, then Spyro, then Crash, then Halo, etc...

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Lord Draenor said:
RRRRAAAAAGE! Pretty much sums up the situation. I don't even buy DLC unless it's bundled with the whole game and at a ludicrous discount. Don't see any reason to pay for something that's obviously a missing part of the main game
totally agree.

And I probably won't be buying Dead Space now for at least couple of years until an edition comes out with the DLC added.

With a bit of luck it'll be second hand so EA will get fuck-all of my money

SO not interested in any kind of online DLC component in any of my games.

I will be buying Bioshock Tho.

I certainly hope there won't be some kind of online bullshit with that.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
And again, my answer to all this is to just not buy it. I'll be honest, I don't really deal with video-games much anymore. I play board-games more these days. I have a lot more fun, I got to interact personally with my friends, and I don't have to put up with all this bullshit. Complaining about it just doesn't do anything. Close your wallet and leave.

ADDENDUM: OMG! That ending was just awesome!! I absolutely loved that!

starlit

Feb 24, 2012
What? It was less Jim Bucks to watch the secret Euro Truck 2 ending over the Thank God for Me Ending?
I feel you need to reevaluate how much you're charging for the different DLC of your videos Jim.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
geizr said:
And again, my answer to all this is to just not buy it. I'll be honest, I don't really deal with video-games much anymore. I play board-games more these days. I have a lot more fun, I got to interact personally with my friends, and I don't have to put up with all this bullshit. Complaining about it just doesn't do anything. Close your wallet and leave.

ADDENDUM: OMG! That ending was just awesome!! I absolutely loved that!
You don't think Jim making a video and all the people on this thread complaining about it have pushed anyone a little closer to "don't buy it"?

In groups, people are very influential.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Given that so many developers were so willing to abandon their individual personalities and IPs to aim for the dark, gritty, new style of gaming the moment the 360 came out (the hip new thing), it just showed how much they didn't appreciate their craft. They were just pandering to the new kids on the block. I mean seriously, how does a game company go from making amazing games like Ratchet and Clank to sub-par shit like Resistance? That was kind of the end-all omen to me that we were in for the downhill ride of our lives. I am not surprised in the least that we have the shit in the gaming industry we have now. That bad taste I got in my mouth from the start of this gen has turned into vomit, just like I thought it would.

The game industry is now the cesspool Hollywood is. DLC, pay-to-play, micro transactions are all the $10-$15 gross popcorn they try to sell us before we go in to see what homogenized garbage they're trying to dump on us now.

Another gaming crash? Good god... please come soon! I would enjoy it greatly if many of the publishers and developers responsible for everything in it's current state all went bankrupt. Perhaps we could survive a few years just on indi-games until the next reboot. Or better yet those people who make the awesome indi games should eventually become the next giants in gaming.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Quiotu said:
There really is an easy way to do this, though it's already been said many times before. Simply let publishers know with your wallet what you'll accept and not accept. I buy EA games when they don't screw me over. I bought ME3 used, but I bought SSX new... because one had DLC practices I liked and the other didn't. I don't buy Ubisoft games on the PC period. I haven't bought a Final Fantasy game since 12, but I bought Sleeping Dogs and Deus Ex: HR because those were good games that Squeenix had other developers make. Capcom is virtually dead to me, but I'll buy Okami HD just so they know that's the last thing decent they published. And I haven't bought anything from Sega since Valkyria Chronicles since they've shown they can't make and keep an IP to save their life save perhaps Total War, and a dev they own makes that instead.

Again, never say you'll boycot... because hardly anyone ever perseveres enough to stick to it. Buy what's good, buy what's fair, and let everything else fester as a signal to all publishers concerning what you're willing to put up with.
"Voting with your wallet" will never accomplish anything. Why? It's because for every 1 person that wises up and stops buying from a company, they're replaced by 10 more idiots that will buy anything without bothering to see if they should just coming into some disposable income *COUGHcausalsCOUGHandCOUGHblindfanboysCOUGH*. The video game industry is so prevalent at this point that they can just screw everybody over as much as they want and there's nothing anybody can do about it.

MortisLegio said:
I honestly don't understand why companies want to nickle and dime their customers. All it does is make the customer not like you and make it so they are less likely to buy the next game. If it's straight up greed, then wouldn't it make more sense to keep your customers as happy as possible and earn their loyalty? I just don't get it. Are companies so short sighted that they no longer care?
As I said above, video game companies are so powerful, so rich, and have an endless stream of morons customers to lead like lambs to the slaughter that they don't need to give a rat's ass about being fair to their walking moneybags customers. They not only blatantly ripoff nickle and dime their victims customers, but they flaunt the fact that they cheat their lemmings customers at every turn. Other industries also rip off their customers constantly, but they at least TRY to hide the fact that they're doing it. You're right though Mortis, the video game industry somehow gets a free pass to rip off their customers all the time, and they actually profit from it, while in any other industry, similar practices would get the company that did it to die out, quickly.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
I'm starting to get the feeling someone at EA saw DLC Quest and took it as a serious business model instead of a tongue in cheek joke.

I was going to pre-order Dead Space 3 until this microtransaction shit was announced. I didn't think EA could come up with a worse idea then Dead Space 2's tacked on multiplayer, but at least that actually gave us something tangible.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
xPixelatedx said:
The game industry is now the cesspool Hollywood is. DLC, pay-to-play, micro transactions are all the $10-$15 gross popcorn they try to sell us before we go in to see what homogenized garbage they're trying to dump on us now.
Nah, Hollywood isn't anywhere near as terrible as the video game industry is. At least with the movie industry they try to make it look like they aren't screwing people over. The video game industry not only screws people over, they'd have to put a massive "WE'RE ROBBING YOU FOR EVERTHING YOU GOT" sign on the front of every game box in order to flaunt the fact that they're doing just that more than they already are.

LoneGunmanO23

Jan 20, 2010
Wait. Jim's looking at Dead Space 3's pricing model as a warped, twisted, unrecognizable abomination of something he used to defend and now feels compelled to attack it?

They're just trying to tear down the segregation between their business and the plot of their game.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
FF:All the Bravest sounded like a fun idea until I heard about the micro transactions, now I just can't give a sh*t... and this is coming from someone who baught Skylanders.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
xPixelatedx said:
Given that so many developers were so willing to abandon their individual personalities and IPs to aim for the dark, gritty, new style of gaming the moment the 360 came out (the hip new thing), it just showed how much they didn't appreciate their craft. They were just pandering to the new kids on the block. I mean seriously, how does a game company go from making amazing games like Ratchet and Clank to sub-par shit like Resistance? That was kind of the end-all omen to me that we were in for the downhill ride of our lives. I am not surprised in the least that we have the shit in the gaming industry we have now. That bad taste I got in my mouth from the start of this gen has turned into vomit, just like I thought it would.

Another gaming crash? Good god... please come soon! I would enjoy it greatly if many of the publishers and developers responsible for everything in it's current state all went bankrupt. Perhaps we could survive a few years just on indi-games until the next reboot. Or better yet those people who make the awesome indi games should eventually become the next giants in gaming.

Considering I had more fun recently playing Terraria for the PC: an indie game that isn't even completed, than Call of Duty: Black Ops, Halo 4, Rayman Origins, and Gravity Rush: I think the console market probably needs some more creativity in the works. Actually, I'm kind of wondering how Nintendo is doing over there in the field yonder that I haven't stepped in since the game cube...

Oh yeah, and the DLC and preorder bonuses for three out of the four games didn't exactly help much. To be fair, at least the PS vita games were good for what they were, though.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Colt47 said:
xPixelatedx said:

Considering I had more fun recently playing Terraria for the PC: an indie game that isn't even completed, than Call of Duty: Black Ops, Halo 4, Rayman Origins, and Gravity Rush: I think the console market probably needs some more creativity in the works. Actually, I'm kind of wondering how Nintendo is doing over there in the field yonder that I haven't stepped in since the game cube...
Nintendo is continuing to do things their own way while ignoring what everyone else is doing. They are getting into DLC but some of it is free DLC. Nintendo pisses me off in so many ways but when topics like this come up, they end up look like the old wise man who takes things nice and slow.

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
CAPITALISM.

But seriously this is despicable. Just for that I'm buying Dead Space 3 used EA :)

Also Escapist are putting ADS IN CAPCHAS now?! Real classy guys. Guess corporate greed at the expense of the user is everywhere now. How ironic.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
LightspeedJack said:
CAPITALISM.

But seriously this is despicable. Just for that I'm buying Dead Space 3 used EA :)

Also Escapist are putting ADS IN CAPCHAS now?! Real classy guys. Guess corporate greed at the expense of the user is everywhere now. How ironic.
Keep hitting refresh until you get a non advertising CAPTCHA. It may take many tries but the message that we refuse to type ad slogans should be sent.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I was sick of this awhile ago, as well as DRM. I'm also really getting fucking sick of having to research every new game released just to see if it comes with DRM or run me through shit hole practices like the ones you mentioned.

I reckon the only way to get more people to vote with their wallets is to demonise them more, so they literally stand out.

plainlake

Jan 20, 2010
I would not mind a industry crash, half of my time is spent on indie games anyways, they will thrive with less AAA titles and I doubt that steam will go down.