Jimquisition: Breaking the Bones of Business

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
Can't say I don't agree with pretty much everything here.

I like Dead Space too, and was pretty saddened to hear about the in game DLC (IGP = In Game Purchases?). Even if this scheme doesn't change how I play the game, doesn't force me to seriously consider spending extra money, I'm still bothered by it being there.

I'll admit it: I'll probably buy Dead Space 3. However, there's no way I'll be buying it at full price. I'll wait six months or a year and get it for $19.99.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Therumancer said:
canadamus_prime said:
GoddyofAus said:
canadamus_prime said:
At this point I want to see the industry crash again. Maybe then publishers will get it through their thick skulls that the way they do business only hurts the industry.
Or they'll just take the massive profits they've already made, give the industry and its supporters the finger and walk away cackling into the shadows, leaving an absolute trainwreck in their wake.

Never underestimate the cowardess of big business when the chips are well and truly down.
I could see Microsoft and Sony doing that as they have their fingers in many pies and the fate of the video game industry wouldn't hurt them a whole lot, but companies like EA, Activision, Sega, Capcom, and Nintendo who's sole source of profit is video games, they'll have to learn to adapt to survive or die and any of them that don't won't be missed. And any of these businesses that are out to make money want to continue to make money.
Well, yes and no. The thing to understand that the core interests at the heart of companies like EA, Activision, and other major companies are a combination of shareholders, who generally maintain investment portfolios accross a number of businesses, and executives like Bobby Kotick that have made enough money where they are able to live in the lap of luxury for the rest of their lives without lifting a finger if they did absolutly nothing else. The entire thing is motivated by rich people getting richer. If most of the powers behind these video game companies walked, it wouldn't really hurt the people at the top of the food chain, just the employees. The crash would leave massive devestation of the industry, and yes there would be some executives hitting the poverty line, but the big boys would be just fine. Most of them would just go on to other investments, find other executive jobs, or just decide to sit down like huge bloated toads on vast piles of money and live out the rest of their lives in luxury without worrying about either the gamers OR the employees whose lives they wrecked.

To be honest, I'm thinking we might very well be seeing a choice of "Video Game Crash, or supporting our own massive exploitation". Truthfully I think a crash would be better, because while we would go without games for a while, the simple fact that there is a demand means someone would rise to fill it. A crash would basically be a sort of "reboot" of the entire industry in hopes that the new version would do better this time.

I'll also say something else that is rather unpopular, as much as people like to point fingers at gaming executives, shareholders, and the big business aspects of things, the fault is also heavily with the developers. At the end of the day the cost of developing a game is largely a matter of human resources, the cost of office space, computers, etc... is minimal compared to these huge budgets. The rising cost of games is because the people making games increasingly demand more money, if a game succeeds and makes a publisher a bundle, the developer wants a bigger share of the pie due to it's success when they make their next game. A developer known for successes thus demands increasingly large amounts of money. A lot of this goes to the "faces" like Studio Heads directly, but a lot of it also goes into the increasingly bloated salaries and wages of line coders, graphics developers, music creators, and other people. Despite the popularized image of developers as ordinary people who just love games, they are hardly ordinary people, though I suppose many are jaded into thinking so if their peer group is a lot like them. Maxim once did an article called "Why Game Developers Drive Ferraris" which simply reported what differant people in the industry made on average per year based on reports, and it wasn't exactly a normal existance. The a lot of the reasons why a publisher (which is evil and greedy in it's own right) needs to do so much to make money in so many cases is because of how much it paid the devs. The devs being the reason why you might see a comparitively short, derivitive, dialed in entry in a series, or even a new franchise, that needs to sell a shocking number of copies to be profitable, having taken more money to develop than previous, comparable games (especially when tech hasn't advanced much), it's because those developers demanded more money based on their previous success. If you see a budget to produce basically the same thing raise from 50 to 70 mil the question to ask yourself is who the raises are going to.

At it's core, it's all understandable. A publisher wants a return on their investment. A developer, like any other employee or person providing a skill, wants fair compensation for their work. Of course as an industry becomes successful and makes tons of money, people's self-importanance inflates as does expectations of what fair compensation is. If your job is to be say a graphics designer, and part of your job is to learn all the new technology and such as being part of the field to begin with, your doing pretty much what's expected of you whenever you make a game no matter what technology it uses, it's part of being a professional. When what you think you should be being fairly paid becomes less about what your actually doing, and is instead based on how much your bosses/investors/publishers are making off the product you produce that's a problem. You demand more, you get it, the price of the product increases, it trickles down to the customers. Cycle continues, more and more is done to make up the differance and keep things similarly profitable, and eventually the entire thing crashes because at the end of the day it all forms to the consumers. The devs aren't willing to settle for a fair wage, and the publishers aren't going to reduce their profits (especially when they expect growth) all of it falls squarely on the consumer until you eventually break.

To be honest, in part I think a crash would be good, because while the publishers would be the big winners, I think a lot of developers need a kick in the teeth too.

One interesting question that comes up with Dead Space 3 for example is that if ne needs to sell X million copies, how much did it actually cost to make? That's the money the guys at Visceral were paid, which set the price and needs to begin with.

To be honest sometime people might want to sit down with a game, and then compare the cost with the price to produce it. You might be going "wow, that was an incredible piece of work" but then carefully analyze to yourself if you think it should have cost like 70 million dollars (or whatever) to produce that. Stop and think about what else you could have achieved with that much money. It puts things into perspective. Maybe it's a good product, but in Maxim terms, do you think it's enough where you feel justified in it allowing some line coder to go buzzing around in a Ferrari?
Holy shit, did you write me novel? Regardless given a choice between a crash and being exploited, I'd take the crash. At least then there's the possibility of coming out of it ahead as any companies (both developers and publishers) that survive it or arise from it will hopefully have learned what the consumers what and are willing to pay for. It's a slim possibility, but it's better than being exploited.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Yes Jim. It will take another game crash of 83 to fix things up.

The Signs of the coming Apocalypse are here.

Plethora of games and consoles
Ouya, Nvidia Shield, 6 Steam Boxes (High, Mid, Low,)(Mobile, Box), Non-Valve Steam Boxes, Game Stick, WiiU, PS4?, XBox 720?

Competition from home computers
Steam now works on Linux.
Android Phones
IPhones, IPads
All unforeseen forms of competition

High-profile failures
The Collapse of THQ
38 Studio

Loss of publishing control
Free to Play

You ignored the signs.
You encouraged the Devil.
You put yourself above all.
You pretended to lead us to the light only to find darkness.
You have Dammed us all.

May our benevolent lord and savior see fit to send us another messenger to lead us out of the darkness that is to come.

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
Well, some recent statements from DE3 devs, almost do make it look like somebody who wants to get out is attempting a "Torch the franchise and run" manouvre... :p

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Matthewmagic said:
Honestly guys, Piracy. Fucking with these companys money is the only thing they understand.
Pirating their products gives them a fairly valid reason to act like douche-bags, don't be a part of the problem.

IKWerewolf

Jan 13, 2011
jehk said:
IKWerewolf said:
jehk said:
Not all DLC is just a missing part of the game. Admittedly a lot of DLC has turned into that.

The major problem with gaming and these perverted business models is that distribution services do not release any data about sales as a whole. This generates a huge amount of risk (specifically when introducing new IP) and basically forces the developers to take advantage of the people who love their games the most. Hopefully one of these services will do IT sometime (I'm looking at you Steam). It would be an awesome shot in the arm for the industry.
Steam are actually already doing the right thing in terms of Greenlight, several of the games in my list and LOVING THEM (in between other games I seriously need to finish), if we want better games, we have to say this is what we want.

It is also the best way to reduce the risk; if something similar failed to get interest, an indie game maker they can look at how it was marketed, look at comments and see if its worth even designing that idea.

If you want better games and you have Steam the best way to get them is by looking through Greenlight, its a minimum of yes or no they ask AND will diversify the mainstream market more as global, free market research data will exist.
Greenlight is pretty awesome overall. However, its only a small part of Steam and only includes indie titles. It still doesn't solve the problem I'm talking about which is not having solid sales data to make informed business decisions. The markets for Steam, Xbox Live, App Store, etc are very different. There's a huge black hole of available public information about sales (unlike say film industry).
OK stand by for complicated arguement.

Greenlight may not be sales data but its a start... it is actually something more important. Steam's Greenlight is a Market Research Paradise; even if they do not put their own game on Greenlight they can search for similar games and look at comments to see the reception games of similar classes of games receive and can make an active decision whether or not they should make that game for Steam.

Other Steam elements also add to the toolset of future designers... Recommendations, Forums, Top Sellers and even Steamworks (logically the more made for Steamworks, the more a game is liked) can be used as more than just a Point of Sale and Community, a smart developer would use it as market research... although Sales Data doesn't exist there are clearly other ways of reducing the risk.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
I think one of the main problems as well is that there isn't really a good way to tell these publishers that their business practices are crap.

I mean there's no shortage of games that do have these micro-transactions that rake in tons of cash, so from the publisher's point of view that can't be the problem. People are buying it so it's good.

When one of these games does fail it's chalked up to the IP itself, see Dead Space for example. If it fails EA doesn't plan to stop micro-transactions for full-price games, it plans to stop the Dead Space IP.

Gamers as a whole just aren't organised enough to send a clear message with their wallets and publishers are on average much, much too dense to understand any other message.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
HuurDuuur - How do I ending?

I'm just surprised fee-to-play is even a viable business model. I've not paid for on-disc DLC nor crap like ME3's bonus packs ever. It's blatantly a rip off, so why do people do it?

I feel DLC is great for small-medium content boosts to the full experience, if prices accordingly (£5-10). If it's tat, pile it up into a pack with other tat to make it worth a fiver. Anything above £10 in price should be called an expansion, and EXPAND on the full experience as opposed to boosting it. If it doesn't fit any of that criteria, I don't buy it; never have.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
For once I find myself agreeing with Jim - and he even cut short his ghastly catchphrase.

But on a more serious note, I also see a crash coming up - but I don't see it as a crash, but more of a tipping point or a good purge. The Pay-to-Play-and Play Again monetisation of games WILL come, and while we can moan about it as much as we like - it's going to happen.

But it will also mark the tipping point of gamer patience, gamers as a whole have had enough of overpriced and underwhelming DLC, oppressive DRM, too high an asking price up front and just too much greed in general. If gamers abstained, the leeches like John Richetello, Bobby Kotick et al would drop off and retire and take their gluttonous influence with them with any luck.

But the hard part is the abstainance of gaming, the publishers take the developers hostage every time and it tugs on gamer's collective heartstrings every time. We could try to avoid publishers with bad business practices - but finding good publishers is pretty hard these days. With all the publishers holding the developers as economic hostages who probably have developed some sort of Stockholm Syndrome for them by now - it's time to stop ignoring the elephant in the room and lock our wallets. If developers lose their jobs - so be it, it's all for a greater good.

If gamers don't stand up the the bullying publishers you can expect to be even more ripped off in the future. And believe you me, it'll be a VERY dark future for the gamer.

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
When marketing sanity in terms of DLC comes from NINTENDO, something is rotten in the state of Denmark.
I am pleasantly surprised at how Nintendo is handling the DLC in Fire Emblem and I'm going to support the hell out of them.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
A lot of us gamers took so much shit for saying this was coming years ago, even from JimJim here (no hard feelings). It is sad to see so much of it coming true and making my hope for another collapse even stronger.

Chessrook44 said:
In short, "This is why we can't have nice things."

DVS BSTrD said:
Who says the subscription based model is outdated?
I'd say the failure of TOR, most likely.
TOR failed because of so much hype and just delivering another WoW experience.

I honestly prefer the subscription model because it makes everything accessable to everyone who are on equal footing from the start.

People say they like F2P model, but in the end they don't like being pushed into a grind to get them to buy items or bonuses, or losing to someone who bought a fancy new weapon. No matter how good the game, the devs always have to put mechanics in to make it just frustrating enough to make people want to buy something.

Ickorus said:
Matthewmagic said:
Honestly guys, Piracy. Fucking with these companys money is the only thing they understand.
Pirating their products gives them a fairly valid reason to act like douche-bags, don't be a part of the problem.
Not really, if they weren't doing such openly greedy crap and screwing gamers so much, I'd have some sympathy for them. But now I want to see pirates really hit these big publishers hard just for a little payback.

Blade_125

Sep 1, 2011
I have never been able to understand how this type of market works. Why do people spend money on non content items. WHy pay money for better items or to be able to cheat at a game. The whole point of a game is to play the game.

I do buy the odd DLC, but itis always because of more content, not because I get a set of blue armour.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
The ending to this made me chortle in my chair.

Having never gotten on board with the Smart phones, I've avoided a lot of the f2p stuff. LoL seems to be doing it well enough. The shoehorned DLC which I experienced most intimately in dragon age Origins was off-putting, I hope they don't do that again. EA has a number of IPs I'd like to continue enjoying, if possible.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Well, I'm not buying Dead Space 3, that is certain. I love my games 100% complete. If the game is good - like Dragon's Dogma or Fist of the North Star or Dragon Age Origins - I just buy every piece of DLC - this is like a thank you to developer. I don't mind spending a lot on DLC.
But this microtransaction stuff? No. The only Dragon's Dogma DLC I ignored was rift crystals. It's not even content. But there it's a minor thing (those rift crystal DLC are actually 100% worthless- probably they're there just in case someone want to give capcom money?). Those don't add anything in the game and this DLC is not referenced at any point.
But games like Mass Effect 3, Dead Space 3... They are never complete and therefore a no-buy for me. Just like MMOs of all kinds.

I've tried 1 F2P game in my life, Tribes Ascend. Then stopped playing and regretted trying since you can't have it all 100%.
See, they crossed that line. DLC is one thing. You keep buying them until you have all and game sort of grows larger (sometimes with useless items, but still). But micotransactions just kill that. It will always be there. You can't like pay $15 or $60 and have it all, there will always be that option in the menu. And for me it's a strict no buy. I am crazy like that, I like when game confirms that I have everything I can have.
Yes, I can spend over $60 on skins and small stuff. But I can't stand the idea of microtransactions. Probably EA got the wrong idea when I've bought all those previous DLC for Dead Space games? Well, they're about to find out how wrong they are.
I wonder how many people are like me...

chrystallix

Jan 23, 2012
irishda said:
Oh no, rest assured, I still watched the rest. Even including the part where he says "I would even buy some of this stuff if it wasn't ridiculously overcharged or if they didn't beat me over the head with it." In other words, Jim is wholly willing to support the shit he says he hates so much, if it just didn't cost so much, or they didn't ask him so many times. Good thing I watched far enough to see him back up his hypocritical position.

Voice your complaints all you want. Businesses don't give a shit until you stop paying them. And right now, you guys are paying them. So yes, the bitching is annoying because you guys whine and complain while still handing them money hand over fist. Then you act as though you were forced into it, like he was powerless NOT to buy the Infinite Weapon Durability.
I've been arguing with myself a great deal on just how to interject into this argument, and really, all I can think to say is...people are allowed to complain. You can feel free to disagree with the complainers and even complain about them complaining but ultimately...it's not going to stop them. Unlike instances of science this isn't as clear cut, there's not as many hard facts and comes down to a lot of opinions. You see Jim and folks like me that agree with him as whiny, whiny complainers who want our shit for free. While we see ourselves as people who are complaining that the big companies actually have the gall to try and charge us money for frankly ridiculous things. It'd be like if...say, you purchased an action figure of...Ragna the Bloodedge, and rather than just coming with his sword you have to buy the sword entirely separate, and then you have to buy another sword if you want it to extend into the blood scythe. Then on top of that they sell you special, brand paints for giving Ragna the Bloodedge his alternate color schemes, like that Sol Badguy one.

Both points are, in a sense, accurate. In a sense, we are complaining that the companies are charging us money for this. So if you put that the right way, yes we are whining that things like cheat codes, and costumes aren't free. Yet it also goes the other way, while we are whining that they aren't free, that same token can also be just as accurately described as complaining about ridiculous and downright silly business models. The only problem is that you see it from entirely one viewpoint, and most people see it from the other, with few willing to see it from both angles. Also I had more to say than I originally thought.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Hahahahaha, that end clip with Jim diggin the music and simultaneously bobbing his head in-game cracked me up way more than it should have.
Good video too Jim.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
I fail to understand what EA is doing wrong here. As long as the in-game transaction system isn't the sole provider of all the resources for the gun-smithing and there are enough resources in game to get through it, they are not doing anything wrong. Actually, now that I think about it it isn't any different to the normal system. If you can go through a game of Dead Space 3 and then restart on the same save while keeping all your equipment couldn't you just go through the game again, collect more resources, and craft whatever the hell you want? Its time v.s. convenience. The essence of a free-to-play model.

Of course they could just piss it down their leg just as easily by making it near-necessary to buy stuff, but I doubt EA is THAT stupid (I wouldn't be surprised if they are though.)

Oh, and that "final fantasy all the bravest" thing is just utter horseshit. You don't sell ALL THE CONTENT. Make a base game that is completable and enojoyable on its own then sell additional level packs on top of that. If you do still want to sell EVERYTHING, however, make it like 10 cents per thing or something cheap.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Matthewmagic said:
*Raises hand* Umm I've been saying this since DlC replaced expansion packs. Hell even Wows subscription service is a bit much. And don't even get me started on xbox live, paying to have twelve year olds scream racail epithets in my ear. I have bought dlc for one game only, that is Arkham City. Usually if I'm really excited about a game I'll just wait for the greatest hits version with all the dlc already apart of the game to hit, ya know, the full fucking game.

Games are too damn expensive for this kind of shit. It is too the point where I pirate every game and if I like it enough I'll buy the full version. Why should I pay full price for a half finished game.
This is why I only buy games that I KNOW will provide me a good value for its money. I gauge value by "how much money per hour" and compare it to movies. Right now, my most played game on steam is FO:NV. I bought it for $10 with all of its expansions and now have 108 hours put into it. that is less than 10 cents per hour. That is RIDICULOUSLY good. Also, second place is FTL at 74 hours. Again, about 10 cents per hour. Anything more than that and i'm hard pressed to buy it.