Jimquisition: Bullshit in Sheep's Clothing

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Bullshit in Sheep's Clothing

Join Jim as he celebrates the 100th episode of Jimquisition ... and complains about EA. Again.

Watch Video

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
We only disliked you because your videos were, granted, quite bad when you first started out. I was one of those haters. I'm glad you improved, you actually turned into one of my favorite internet-people. So congrats to you for your 100th episode. And congrats to us that we started out with a shit show, and ended up with a good one.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Yeah, those first few episodes were freaking terrible. Your more recent efforts have become very watchable.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Speaking out of character, I know full well the first few episodes were dreadful.

I thank everyone, sincerely, for giving it the extra chances it needed. :)

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I can't even get mad at EA anymore, they pull so much stupid shit I can't help but laugh at them.

Congrats on the 100 episodes Jim and way to rock that bowler hat :D

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Em, I liked Jimquisition back on Destructoid. So I was ok with it moving here. Destructoid, escapist, no difference for me.

grumpymooselion

May 5, 2011
I'm quite on board with your summation of this issue. I just don't think there's anything to say, other than to agree, in that regard.

I am, however, quite thankful you're here on the Escapist at all, that you've made so many videos tackling subjects of interest, and that God hasn't struck you with a bolt of lightning . . . just yet.

Thanks for existing Jim. Keep it up, bring us many more savory delights.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I refused to watch your videos when you first started out here, but that was due to issues unrelated to the quality of them. I'm glad I eventually caved though, you often point out stuff that I agree with and I can only hope will eventually get drilled into the thick skulls of those in the industry. Not holding my breath though.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
100 Episodes of Catharsis...some better, some worse.
Well Jim, you moved past your rocky start, adapted from criticism and now your show routinely generates miles of comments.

If nothing else, it's entertaining to watch such topics burn.

As for the subject of the video itself. Old news to me. Always-Online DRM is nothing but retrograde design; the systematic subtraction of features for the entrapment and exploitation of consumer trust.

It's all wrapped up under the guise of "fighting piracy" or "pushing for the evolution of games", or whatever euphemism sounds good at the moment.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
EA: we're fools all year round :p
Jimothy Sterling said:
Speaking out of character, I know full well the first few episodes were dreadful.

Thank you for staying. TBH I avoided your videos initially because your pose on the title card reminded me a little too much of a different Jim who talked about god a lot.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Yeah, after the first few episodes, I didn't think the Jimquisition would last very long.

However, watching it each week now, I'm extremely glad it did. Turned into one of the pieces of content I watch as soon as the video goes up on The Escapist. Although thanks to the content The Escapist has, this isn't a very exclusive group.

Anyway, congrats on the 100 Jim and Willem! (And to many more and all that good stuff)

ARCTIC_EAGLE

Dec 31, 2011
I don't blame publishers/devs for the BS drm or other terrible "features" I blame consumers, if consumers actually cared publishers would stop. Look at SimCity, if everyone had demanded refunds and refused to rebuy it until EA added in offline play, fixed glaring issues, apologized, etc EA would have done it. But they were still able to sell 1.1 million copies so why should they care? Why should they care when they're going to make a lot more from DLC? Why should any publisher care what the consumer thinks if they're still making huge amounts of cash? The answer is they shouldn't and they won't, if consumers really do hate their practices then the consumers need to change which will force publishers to change.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
"He's like MovieBob, but shit."

Uh-huh... I'd rather watch your earlier episodes than anything Bob puts out, especially when Bob tries to talk about video games. I'm sorry, but I really don't like Bob's stuff. Period. [http://www.peterwexlerstudio.com/Red_Bars/BLACK_DOT.gif]

Anyways, I like the new style Jim. You'd look better in a fedora though.
Not a trilby which YZ wears. A fedora [http://www.hollandhats.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/tilleyhatTown_Fedora.jpg].

Now, I wasn't aware EA was dressing up Online Passes like that so it's nice to know that now. Now I have another little bit to put into the "Never buy from EA" bin.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I'm probably one of the few people who liked the first few episodes too...

I appreciate how much better the quality of the arguments has become over time, but I felt that it was a lot "funnier" at the start. The opening, ending, and occasional stingers still make me bust out laughing, but there was a lot more humorous satire and ribbing during the actual discussion of the content in question -- er, after the first four weeks or so, I should clarify --, as opposed to now where it's seemed to become more angry ranting again. I dunno if that's more an observation of the gaming industry and community in general or the actual show in question, though...

OT: It's a bit of a slippery slope, but I'll admit that it is one that publishers like EA could easily fall down. Always-online DRM isn't necessarily a deal-breaker for whether I'd play a game or not, but I'll put it this way: The only reason I actually played Diablo III was because Blizzard gave it to me for free because of my WoW subscription. [small]Granted I hadn't played either of the previous games so had no vested interested in the franchise anyway, but that's beside the point.[/small]

I don't think calling it a 'service' would really fool the customers though. It hasn't so far, at least, and the intertubez have gotten clogged up with rage and bile every time while the games still sell because it seems to be a vocal minority who voice their displeasure for this sort of thing on forums such as The Escapist.

I do hope that isn't the direction things take, though. I don't buy games for multi-player or online components.

Erttheking

Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
Country
United States
You know, I'd probably have gotten tired of you bashing EA if it wasn't so fun to watch and well deserved. Also I have to say that I've actually had the pleasant experience in not buying many games with an online pass, and the only DRM I use is steam, which does suck money out of my wallet but the damn thing makes me want to throw money at it. God damn it Valve! Stop putting things on sale! I need to pay for college!

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I think the only reason I didn't watch the show at the start was because it was "Another Englishmen ranting about stuff". Being English it's a somewhat daily occurrence, so it's nice to get away from it.

Then I gave it a try, and have been watching it every Monday since. I'd say it's my favourite video series on here, even if I do disagree with the occasional one (although never the EA ones, you couldn't be more right about them).

Daft Ghosty

Sep 25, 2010
I was one of those who loathed your videos when you started out. Now you and Yahtzee are the only reason why I visit the Escapist these days. If you were to leave I'd have one less reason to visit =)

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
"The Titanic is an innovative new submarine." I'm going to find some way to work that into casual conversation.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
EA: we're fools all year round :p
EA: (continued) and we take you all for fools, too!

It's nice to have Jim around. Someone whose opinions conveniently dovetail mine, with enough name value to be taken seriously.

Or more so than me.

labbu

Nov 18, 2009
So, EA is calling their DRM ridden games MMO's now. I'm gonna give it 6 months before, on top of the 60$ price tag and microtransactions they're also gonna charge a subscription fee.

Also, congratulaions on the 100 episodes, Jim. I honestly had never thought I'd actually like your show, but ever since the 4th episode I've been really drawn to it. Here's to another 100!

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I really hated the early episodes, the persona was just too off putting, to the point where I'd stopped watching for a while. I can't exactly explain what changed, but there's been a vast improvement. Congratulations on #100.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:

Join Jim as he celebrates the 100th episode of Jimquisition ... and complains about EA. Again.

Watch Video
OMG OMG was that Naruto ultimate ninja storm 3 :D
Wait.........why do you have it in an Army of two case O_e
Anyway doesn't matter jim's an anime fan yay ^_^ {at least I hope you are}
P.S.While I disagree with you on some of the video's/topics you have covered I also agree with you on many of them as well,so while our relationship is not perfect {none-of them are} I still love you [glomps Jim].

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I'm another one of those that couldn't stand the first few episodes. I tend to give web shows a fair amount of episodes to find their footing...usually around 10. With this show, it didn't take that long and I look forward to seeing it every Monday.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Well Jim, if people didn't like you back then, then you're a good example that things get better. I can't imagine a world without you now. Thank "religion of your choice" for you!

Edit: I'm curious of your opinion on Naruto Ultimate Ninja storm 3 now...

Lord Hosk

Dec 2, 2011
Congratulations and thank you for all the awesome content.

Also whats this about out of character? I thought you were really a depraved egotistical Jack A.. I dont know if I want to watch the show anymore if you are not truly a lunatic.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Yeah Jim, I wasn't so fond of you at the beginning, but then something changed and you earned a special little place in a corner of my heart. I think initially what got me was that I couldn't tell if what you were doing was a put-on persona or if you were actually just that mean. That, and the little pictures you drew with surprisingly well-rendered penises were a rather unwelcome sight since I often watch these videos in school computer labs.

But after a while you got rid of the little dicks and your persona as a dick became clearly a persona, and you've become one of the reasons I drag myself out of bed on Mondays :)

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Jim why did you change the music? Old one was just fine and memorable. It is like changing ZP background from yellow to blue. I was one of the people who enjoyed your earlier episode too. I am disapoint

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Grats on 100!

I thought the first few episodes were train wrecky in that I couldn't stop watching in horror. But Jim has grown into a legitimate demagogue (the good, roman definition not the modern one) making the peoples' case.

As for the "EA problem" all I can say is don't buy games from "evil" corporate publishers. Discipline yourself so you are blind to marketing and you no longer want all of the shiny things that are advertised.

Don't sign petitions, don't rage on the internet, just don't buy it. Or if you absolutely can't resist then don't buy it the first month, which is the crucial month for "big" game sales.

But better yet show your financial support for dedicated, sincere, independent developers who are trying to support themselves by bringing the world joy. And don't support corporate games whose owners only see you as dollar signs, and only care about their games as numbers on a spreadsheet.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
bafrali said:
Jim why did you changr the music? Old one was just frine and memorable. It is like changing ZP background from blue to yellow. I was one of the people who enjoyed your earlier episode too. I am disapoint
A) It made sense to use something not copyrighted.
B) I love Danny B.
C) Danny B!

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Well Jim, as a matter of fact I'm one of the people who watched you (once, I think) in the beginning--the very first episode--and only came back a couple of months ago. I've enjoyed watching you regularly since. Maybe I've matured since your first episode? Sure, it's your 100th so we'll say put it all on me. :p

Congrats on your 100th episode!

OT: I was wondering why no one called SimCity a MMO from the start. I don't play MMO's, though, so I figured it was ignorance on my part. Glad to know it wasn't.

[small]Entirely.[/small]

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
To answer the Naruto question:

Army of Two was in the other room and I was too lazy to get it. I realized the case would look lame empty. A review copy of Naruto was right next to my desk. I made the executive call.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Lilani said:
Yeah Jim, I wasn't so fond of you at the beginning, but then something changed and you earned a special little place in a corner of my heart.
You must have a REALLY big heart.

OT, I find the Jimquisition occasionally fun and watchable, but prefer Jim's written word much more.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Jimothy Sterling said:

Watch Video
I'll be honest, I wasn't exactly a huge fan of the early episodes (didn't want you kicked out though) but you've vastly improved since then and I'm glad to see you reach 100 episodes. Glad to see you got rid of the little dicks on screen and damn man, you're really rocking that outfit and glasses, very sharp looking.

So again, congrats on 100 episodes and of course thank God(Emperor) for you.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Carnagath said:
Lilani said:
Yeah Jim, I wasn't so fond of you at the beginning, but then something changed and you earned a special little place in a corner of my heart.
You must have a REALLY big heart.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH SNAP!

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It doesn't matter that this video pointed out the bullshit that publishers try to get away with. I've seen people on The Escapist defending the bullshit rhetoric you were just talking about. They actually believe that video games are services if the publishers decide to call them services. And they don't give a shit. They gladly buy it. And they don't see that they are the problem. A company can't get away with anything if consumers stop buying their products. Solution: STOP BUYING THEIR PRODUCTS!
Literally all it takes is to boycott one game until they remove the feature that caused the boycott in the first place. They will have to remove it if they want to make money off of it, and they won't dare to implement that bullshit in their next game. Capitalism is that simple. People have the power. All they have to do is use their brain.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Don't thank us for giving you another chance Jim, for it is we who thank god for you.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:

Army of Two was in the other room and I was too lazy to get it. I realized the case would look lame empty. A review copy of Naruto was right next to my desk. I made the executive call.
And it was the right call. A man after my own lazy heart.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
Aug 9, 2020
Country
United States
I got to say, I'm really surprised EA didn't call SimCity a MMO at the start of all this really.
Why is it that the bullcrap big companies try to pull seem very similar to the crap some politicians try to pull off?
Weird.

Anyway, well done Jim.
I kind of feel bad now that I liked the show from the start. Don't get the wrong idea, I still think it got WAY better as it went on. And may it continue to get even greater!

:) Thank God for you Jim.

Timmey

May 29, 2010
Just wanted to say thanks for the episodes and to keep going, so much better now than it was when you first started.

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
First off, your show has turned into a very enjoyable one for me, so thanks for that.

Second, this whole Sim City debacle has given us a glimpse into what the future of gaming might become, and that's terrifying me. I hope this sort of crap will stop soon, but it doesn't seem likely.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
I enjoy the Jimquisition - its nice and intelligent criticism that isn't afraid of taking the piss on itself

As for this week's theme: Ya, the game pupblishers can call DRM whatever they want, its DRM

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I must say I was really confused by the original couple of episodes.

But like an aggressive metastatic testicular cancer, ya grew on me jim.

Ya grew on me.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Oh yes the early episodes of shame of the Jimquisition. I would not be surprised if they become the Star Wars Christmas Special of his oeuvre of 5 minute rants.

The 100th episode is proof that listening to the good thought out parts of the critique you get will pay off in the long run. Congratulations.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Congrats jim, and we're damn glad to have you.

How ever if you keep bitching anymore about EA your gonna start to fit in with all the fine people at the b net forum lol.
I think your giving us a serious case of chicken littism. It's fucken EA. When a company that doesn't have it's head entirely up its ass starts doing this than i'll panick. Like say the people who put out GTa, but even than i'm a little played out on that series, the idea would still concern me though.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Oh fyi "movie bob only shit?'

heh I've seriously at length tried to see what Bob's getting at when he reviews movies. I mean he brings up some fine points of nostalgia but everyone does that these days.

your way more enjoyable and enlightening than movie bob.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:

Why,why didn't you quote me, am I not good enough Jim AM I NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!
But in all seriousness that means you didn't but naruto and probably don't read the manga......I'm sad now :(
P.S. Have you played the game/do you like it? [if you say no I will find you and kil make you like/play it]

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
Admittedly, I only started watching after he proclaimed Dynasty Warriors the "Citizen Kane" of gaming (being another rare western fan of the series), but congratulations on reaching 100 episodes. I may have to check out the early trainwrecks when I get tired of watching retspurraes and MST3K episodes.

I really can't get angry about companies engaging in anti-consumer behavior anymore. I just don't buy the games. I have enough stuff in my library and backlog that I'm not so desperate for a new experience that I would willing put up with such nonsense. And if millions of others are willing, well that's not really inside my ability to control, is it?

Raiha

Jul 3, 2009
i only gave this a second chance because i had to figure out why you were still on the escapist after the first few terrible videos. i'm glad i gave it another shot, keep up the good work

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Gotta admit I was in the "hated early Jimquisition" camp.

Upon viewing the first episode I was like: "Who is this colossal idiot with a massive ego and a god complex? What value can he possibly add to our joyous and untainted hobby by constantly belittling games, gamers and the culture at large?"

I still think all of that of course, the only difference is that now I wouldn't be without any of it.

Thank god for you Jim, thank god indeed.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Congrats on 100 episodes keep up the good work.
I usually think such comments are just people dick riding, but I have to say I usually look forward to your episode because I feel you genuinely speak for gamers. You don't mind calling out bullshit when you see it and manage to put your discontent in a humorous yet insightful way.

Lord Doomhammer

Mar 20, 2021
Country
United States
Funny to think that at first I hated The Jimquisition, and loved Movie Bob. Amazing that now I love The Jimquisition, and hate Movie Bob.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Happy 100 Episodes, Jim! Happy we did decide to give you a second chance after those early episodes.

On a side note - the early work of anyone is guaranteed to be terrible. Your not alone there X3

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:

That kind of honesty is refreshing and it shows even when in character. Keep fighting the good fight and congrats!

Elyxard

Dec 12, 2010
I don't even remember why I started watching the Jimquisition. It was fairly new at the time and I think I just happened to try it out by chance. The self-absorbed schtick almost turned me away, but I stuck with it and I've enjoyed nearly every video since. Anyone who continues to call out EA (and others) for their continued BS is good in my books.

And on that note, nothing screams shareholder and marketer stranglehold more than the re-branding of a bad thing to make it sound good, rather than to rethink actually doing said bad thing. I'd like to believe that the CEO change could help, but the damage is already done and they're going to suffer for it for the next decade. They'd have to learn to be honest and actually admit that they've done wrong now and then (pffhah!) in order to have a hope of winning back some modest community support.

The fact that they still spin every "apology" into a spewage of self-gratification gives me little hope though (and that could be its own Jimquisition episode, if you needed to bag on EA some more).

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Congrats on the 100th episode!

I was one of those haters when I watched the very first episode and thought it was downright horrible. Comparing it Extra Credits at the time and you know what was funny? Both the Jimquistion and EC had completely opposite arcs when it came to quality.

The Jimquisition started off as shit and around the episode of online passes became decent, then with the skyrim video became great. While Extra credits started off REALLY strong in the first and second season, only to become barely watchable for me now. Jim really turned things around and his success is well deserved.

I was half expecting a bottle spraying victory scene at the end. Guess we will save that for 1000th episode

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Thank God for you Jim. Also hated the show early on but it did eventually grow on me like a stubborn mold as you hit your stride and now I'd be very sad if I ever had to see it go. Don't always agree and have seen more dildos here than I'd wish to but it's all part of your twisted charm.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
I watched some of your stuff before you came to the escapist. I think the one that made me laugh the most was the Aquaphobia kerfluffle. That the dev contacted you and said something to the effect of "u weren't playin' de game wright! hur dur!"

Then I saw you were coming to the escapist and I was excited. I loves me some opinionated people who often share similar opinions to my own. Also, the amount of people who seem to not get that your "thank god for me" personality, is just that, a personality makes me LOLOLOLOLOL every.single.time.

Congratz Jimothy. Loved the bowler hat too btw.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
Jim I hated your first episode. I really did.

And yet you pulled this shit together and its become one of my favorite shows on the Escapist. Godspeed Jim, Godspeed.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
Congratulations Jim! Thank the gods for you and your one hundredth episode.

As to those "first run" stories - honestly, I think it was just your first episode. Even now, as a fan, I don't enjoy episode 1. It just... isn't you. You don't even (that I recall) thank god for yourself in episode 1. It honestly feels too serious. It's your sense of humor and cutting sarcasm that makes the show work as well as it does, and in episode 1 you just seem pissed off.

Episode 2, on the other hand, is eminently watchable. Your humor is far better, your persona (while still forming) is funny and engaging. You found a balance between bombastic sarcasm and hyperbole and the sharp intelligent critiques hidden beneath.

That's actually pretty incredible! Even Movie Bob didn't find his voice that quickly (some of his early reviews are disturbing to watch now as they seem very off).

So once again, congratulations! You've weathered 100 episodes and become one of the most recognizable faces of the Escapist.

Oh, and I liked the new theme music. ^^

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Great Sir Jimmonsby.

I still regret my kneejerk reaction to your first efforts. Emphasis on the work jerk, because I usually express displeasure in- shall we say- "robust" terms.

Congrats on an excellent series. Congrats on your 100th episode.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I tend to think of the Jimquisition as being a bit of a Rush Limbaugh of games journalism, with the important distinction that while Rush Limbaugh is largely stoking rage to support a morally bankrupt pile of snake oil salesmen, Jim has rightfully turned his cutting Britishness on game industry bullshit, a small but Escapist-relevant portion of aforementioned snake oil salesmen. I think I'd have a lot more respect for Rush if he had the scruples Jim did in choosing the right side, even if sardonically barbed furor may strike many as a rather rude way of getting their point across (but can we deny it is entertaining).

As for the topic at hand in this video, well, I try to be charitable in expressing EA is not completely wrong to suggest that piracy is rife on the PC and they should be trying to recover some lost dollar, but the problem is that DRM is virtually always worked around, and if they're that set on justifying it by making Simcity into an MMO, then it should probably actually be one instead of just tacking on a bunch of online features nobody wants. Yes, I'm saying EA's mistake with SimCity may well have been choosing the wrong priority during development to achieve the same end.

Basically, I'm in agreement with Jim here, if perhaps slightly more sympathizing with the content seller who is tired of being shafted by piracy, but coming back around and saying always-online DRM doesn't work anyway - at least, not any better than offline-only DRM - so why give their paying customers the shaft?

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Thank you Jim!

You've come a long way since your first episode indeed. Here [http://go-rio.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/stella_15378_large.jpg]'s to a hundred more!

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Once I went to that 'check out more drill queen' link and it turned out there was no more, they only ever made that 1 song.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Congrats on hitting 100 episodes, Jim! I'm one of the many who thought your first episodes were crap trolling for its own sake, but damn if I didn't warm up to you! Your points got more concise and eloquent, and I hope to hear more. When did MovieBob recommend you?

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Jim, you are the person that brought me into this brave new world of Escapist
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.353118-Jimquisition-Mass-Effect-3-And-The-Case-For-A-Gay-Shepard?page=14#14021616
So Jim from the bottom of my frozen heart- Thank God for you sir!

And to be honest I'm still wondering what drugs are you on.
[sub][sub](and where I can get some of those too)[/sub][/sub]

P.S. Must ask- how does that purple dildo tasted?

Shankity Stick

64l\/l3r fr0l\/l 81rtl-l
Jul 16, 2009
Ok Jim, that was cute. Now change the intro back to what it was. Hate to tell you, but that cut is significantly worse. Cool?

Matthewmagic

Feb 13, 2010
Hey jim i really like the outfit change it actually looks kinda "Dashing" not that I see your character doing much more than a light jog any time soon. Didn't really like the show at first but you won me over can't wait to see what is happening next :D!

Symbio Joe

Dec 7, 2010
Well done good Sir, and I hope you did not get Aids from all the insecurity you sucked off.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
it been 100 eps already?

nice.

and yeah, I'm one of those people that hated the early eps, I kept watching cause >.> I had nothing better to do really, but then you started getting better and I started looking forward to the show, now it's a part of my Monday routine

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
happy 100th episode!
also when you opened "army of 2: the devils cartel" it actually had naruto ultimate ninja storm... was that on porpose?
also i liked the previous music better... but what ever...

Jun 23, 2008
This thing that Gibeau is saying does present some interesting legal implications. Here in the US the anti-circumvention clause of the DMCA makes it illegal for us to crack DRM even for non-infringing purposes. If Gibeau's statement is EA's official position, that the persistent-online-connection is not a DRM implementation, it may make it legal and acceptable for someone to mod Sim City by eliminating the always-online requirement and creating a localized game-save system.

Similarly, that may mean it's possible to bypass the payement parts of microtransactions and on-disc DLC, if those are retermed as features i.e. for the benefit of the user, and not DRM protected extras. In that case, it would be acceptable (even encouraged) to mod easy access on the basis that the user-experience is being improved.

238U

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:

I actually didn't mind the first videos at all, I just thought they were very rough around the edges.

But yes, they just grew better and better. :D

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I actually really liked the early Jimquisitions, but they had this heavy layer of satire that meant the actual point of the show was usually lost on most people (including me sometimes until someone managed to decipher the point in the comment section.)

I think the reason these have become so successful is that Jim is right, he gets the issues that come up that affect gamers, and simply explains them in a way that point out what is obviously rotten about the issue, and what needs to change. It's a brilliant formula and it works so well.

Thanks Jim may your next 100 be just as... quisitiony

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
Liked your show from the first time it came to the Escapist, and I'm glad you will be staying for the future! The Jimquisition has become an important part of any good monday. Thank God for episode 100!

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
That new header is goddam' sweet.

That's all I have to contribute really.

FOUR MORE YEARS! FOUR MORE YEARS!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
You're damn right SimCity is not an MMO and it's just more DRM. The sad part is that EA didn't even have to think this one up on their own, people were offering this defense on EA's behalf for them long before EA ever came right out and used it. I really don't get people sometimes, going so far out of their way to defend companies that don't care about their loyalty in any way and are only looking to fuck them up the bum as hard as possible.

Anyway, congrats on 100 episodes. Here's to 100 more!

Uriel-238 said:
This thing that Gibeau is saying does present some interesting legal implications. Here in the US the anti-circumvention clause of the DMCA makes it illegal for us to crack DRM even for non-infringing purposes. If Gibeau's statement is EA's official position, that the persistent-online-connection is not a DRM implementation, it may make it legal and acceptable for someone to mod Sim City by eliminating the always-online requirement and creating a localized game-save system.

Similarly, that may mean it's possible to bypass the payement parts of microtransactions and on-disc DLC, if those are retermed as features i.e. for the benefit of the user, and not DRM protected extras. In that case, it would be acceptable (even encouraged) to mod easy access on the basis that the user-experience is being improved.
Ooh, I like this idea. EA would either have to admit that it is intended as DRM (which we all know very well it is) in order to put up a legal fight against it, or be stuck on the receiving end of a buttfucking for a chance because they don't want even more bad PR from doing the former.

Shankity Stick said:
Ok Jim, that was cute. Now change the intro back to what it was. Hate to tell you, but that cut is significantly worse. Cool?
People watch it? I watched it this one time because it was different, but next week I go back to skipping it again. I never watch any intro longer than 10 seconds, because once you know when the intro is over, it's so easy to skip ahead to 0:20 on these or 0:16 on ZP.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:

Do you like Naruto, the game I mean. Im a long time fan of the series and im surprised just how good the games are, Gekitou Ninja Taisen is the only fighting game i've ever really enjoyed.

WAIT! You're not using the FF9 music anymore!? Well I guess I have no more reason to watch the show, it was fun while it lasted...

Your Gaffer

Oct 10, 2012
Frank Gibeau and all the gibbering idiots over at EA are just that, gibbering idiots. The funny thing is they think we, their customers, are bigger idiots than they are!
Of course if we keep giving them our money maybe they are right.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
love the hat.
I am really happy you made it to 100, i didn't like your first couple of episodes but the way you improved the show so much so fast is something i have not seen before or since. one of my favourite internet online things. oh and this also made me check out podtoid which covers my weekly dose of anus conversations.

happy 100. episode and thank god for jim

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Yeah, I gotta admit, all I wanted was for you to pack up and leave when the show first started. You tremendous prick! BUT! But then like a year later, I owed a friend a favour for checking out a certain comic or something, and in return I watched a Jim Quisition of his choosing, cuz he was all "Nar man! He's good now! Like, Yahtzee good!"
And sure enough, that douche from the first episode has been transplanted with some kind of scholar!
Here's to you Jim!... Still can't watch that first episode again... I'm too afraid. I watched every other one though!

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Congrats Jim on your 100th episode, been watching you from the start. Here's to many more.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Glad to see Miniature Fantasy-Edition Super Secret Agent Willem Dafoe (Now with Kung Fu Grip!) finally got a smart looking suit of his own! One can only hope he later takes it off to reenact Antichrist in the background of the next episode.

While I like the new bowler hat, video title card, and shiny/distracting background, I feel that your red sunglasses simply aren't smarmy and/or British enough to fit the tone of the rest of your video. In their stead, I would like to suggest that you try wearing a pair of Spider Jerusalem sunglasses or A Clockwork Orange eyelash makeup to compensate for your aforementioned deficiency in smarm and/or Britishness. Oh, and happy 100th episode!

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
OMG, Danny Baranowski!!! :D:D:D:D, the Jimquisition just got 20% cooler!

I just loved his work in Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac, also, this:

Congrats for the 100th episode!, here's to 100 more!.

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
"You can put a wig on a horse and stick it in a wedding dress, but you and the horse both know you're still banging a fucking horse"
MY SIDES. THEY HURT ALL OVER!
mjc0961 said:
Shankity Stick said:
People watch it? I watched it this one time because it was different, but next week I go back to skipping it again. I never watch any intro longer than 10 seconds, because once you know when the intro is over, it's so easy to skip ahead to 0:20 on these or 0:16 on ZP.
I watch the intro. I like most intros people put together so I usually like to watch it. Since I like the song that Jimquisiton and ZP use for the intro, I actually like watching it.

OT: Congrats on 100 episodes Jim! I've been watching for about a year and really enjoy the work you put up. Here's to 100 more!

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:

I thought you were trying to make some kind of clever joke about Army of Two or something like that.

OT:
Oh I remember the early days, those videos were a little confusing.

randomsix

Apr 20, 2009
Pleasure across the board.

To snark, to self-aggrandizement, and Willem Dafoe. Huzzah!

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
I don't know if Jim will see this but either way nice work on all the eps. This is my most watched series on the Escapist after Zero Punc and I must say it's always an enjoyable show for me.

Nice work!

Also MOAR EA bashing yeaaaaaaa!!!!!

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Watching you, Jim, has been inspirational. As I go forward and start my own YouTube thingy, I will remember the things you've learned and apply that to my own channel when I get it up and running.

Here's to the first 100 videos and to the next 100! *raises mug*

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
congrats on 100. same story as many others for me, i didn't like you at first, but you grew on me, and it didn't take long before i started thanking god for you. keep on keepin' on.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
It doesn't matter that this video pointed out the bullshit that publishers try to get away with. I've seen people on The Escapist defending the bullshit rhetoric you were just talking about. They actually believe that video games are services if the publishers decide to call them services. And they don't give a shit. They gladly buy it. And they don't see that they are the problem. A company can't get away with anything if consumers stop buying their products. Solution: STOP BUYING THEIR PRODUCTS!
Literally all it takes is to boycott one game until they remove the feature that caused the boycott in the first place. They will have to remove it if they want to make money off of it, and they won't dare to implement that bullshit in their next game. Capitalism is that simple. People have the power. All they have to do is use their brain.
Ever though that they do not care? Not everyone gives a crap about gaming. Some people just have it as a passing hobby; if a game fails for them, they just go on to the next. They don't know EA and they don't care to know because for them, there are much larger issues with other companies, like insurance and medical care.

Yeah, it's the "There are bigger fish to fry" argument, but at least attempt to see it from someone else's perspective before calling them brainless.

I think this is the result of our insulated community; we've deluded ourselves into thinking that we can make a difference. I think even Jim has himself convinced since we respond to him.

Here's the truth; the revolution is never going to happen. It can't happen. If EA fails as companies do, it will not be due to us being pissed off. It will be because of the FIFA, NHL, NFL etc. crowds getting bored with the roster updates. Do you honestly think they care about EA? No, and it's not apathy or brainlessness. EA fills their desire for games; playing as their idols in their favourite sport. You know, the purpose of the system, fulfilling the customer's desires? The same system that has these tactics work financially? Maybe we are pissed off, but there is a very large market that apparently does not care.

It's likely that I'll get more people disagreeing than agreeing, but that's most likely because the people that don't care don't frequent these forums because they aren't motivated to complain.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Online passes become ever more prevalent in gaming these days, although a few games, when sold used through GameStop, generate online passes for you within so many months of the games release. Sony does this, as does Warner Bros. Interactive. While this is a nice gesture, it makes me wonder why they bother at all. I'm sure they have some sort of deal with GameStop.

It's one of the reasons I like 2K as a publisher - no bullshit codes, just you and your game. I remember a time when EA used to give incentives for buying new, rather than punishing players for buying used. Now they're doing both, which makes even less sense than just punishing players for buying used. Like, remember when buying Dragon Age and Mass Effect new got you some free DLC? I'd rather they just go back to that system. It's like they see the money people make from pre-owned games think that by eliminating used games (of any variety, not just what's sold at GameStop) that they will make all of that money for themselves instead. But hey, video games are a luxury right? So if you can't afford to buy a game brand new, well fuck you, or whatever mentality anti-used gamers have.

All that said, I'm glad you're still here, Jim. It's good to have such a consumer-minded voice in the Game Journalism business. You tirelessly tirade about the way we, as consumers, are treated by an industry that used to have to fight for our money, and is now demanding it before we've even seen the game played.

So congratulations on your 100th episode! For as long as your show is running, I'll be here to watch it.

jebara

Nov 19, 2009
I don't know how you did it, but Jim...your show went from my most hated of the escapist to one of my favourite shows on the internet, even beating ZP which I used to religiously follow.
You came a long way and made me eat my words,I think I know who to thank...

Fappy

\[T]/
May 1, 2020
Country
United States
I was one of the many people who thought you were a hack when you first started out. At some point I decided to give your show another try and was pleasantly surprised to see that you'd taken the criticisms to heart (the constructive ones at least) and turned this show around. These days it's the light in the darkness that is Monday.

Thank God for you Jim. Keep spreading the good word!

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Uriel-238 said:

238U
I like the sound of this.

Congrats on 100 episodes Jim!

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Uriel-238 said:

238U
Interesting point. If you are correct and their insistence that it's not DRM means this is allowed, EA are going to have an interesting time trying to prevent people cracking their games.

Not that they were ever successful at that to begin with.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the original batch of videos, but they got quite better and more savvy as time went by.

On topic, I find it amusing that all game companies exist to make money, and are out to make money... it's just that a company like Valve is so sly, talented, and generous about it, doing it in ways that genuinely do make people feel like they got a good deal out of it, while EA, trying to do the same thing, seems to just have zero idea of what "good public relations" are.

They're like David Cage and "emotions" or Capcom and "DLC"; they think they know what they are but have no clue in reality what they're talking about. EA thinks they understand what Valve does with Steam and they try and replicate them, but they just have zero grasp of what people actually like about it or how they relate to it.

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
"He's like MovieBob, but shit."

Uh-huh... I'd rather watch your earlier episodes than anything Bob puts out, especially when Bob tries to talk about video games. I'm sorry, but I really don't like Bob's stuff. Period. [http://www.peterwexlerstudio.com/Red_Bars/BLACK_DOT.gif]
Quoted For Identical Opinion

For example, I didn't really like FPS before I played STALKER like a year ago, but Bob's old video "Worst Person" still irritated me tremendously back when it was new. I felt nothing strong for or against the genre back then, yet it still felt like someone was pouring liquid condescension in my ears

JokerCR

May 22, 2011
I was one of those haters at first, but I gave it another shot later and now I think the show is swell! Keep it up Jimmy boy.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I stood at attention the video throughout in celebration. Congratulations!

The Jimquisition is here to stay, indeed. And well worth of that. I never thought I'd say it when I did, but... Thank God for Jim!

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
I was a former hater, I just didn't enjoy watching your earlier videos. But saw you touch on a few topics i cared about and been watching these ever since.

Good job Jim and keep up the good work :D

Epona

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2020
Country
United States
ARCTIC_EAGLE said:
I don't blame publishers/devs for the BS drm or other terrible "features" I blame consumers, if consumers actually cared publishers would stop. Look at SimCity, if everyone had demanded refunds and refused to rebuy it until EA added in offline play, fixed glaring issues, apologized, etc EA would have done it. But they were still able to sell 1.1 million copies so why should they care? Why should they care when they're going to make a lot more from DLC? Why should any publisher care what the consumer thinks if they're still making huge amounts of cash? The answer is they shouldn't and they won't, if consumers really do hate their practices then the consumers need to change which will force publishers to change.
Wait. So you blame consumers because consumers aren't blaming publishers...yet you too don't blame publishers.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I didn't like the first Jimquisition videos that were shown here on the Escapist, as well. But slowly and surely, as i kept on watching them, they got better. And now, I dare say it's the show here on the Escapist that i want to see the most. It gives me laughs and makes me think. Great stuff indeed. And 100 episodes went by pretty darn fast. Keep up the awesome work, Jim!

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
My story's like a lot of others. Didn't like it, gave up on it, gave it another try later on. (Specifically after Jim's comments during the Extra Credits fiasco made me think I should give him another shot.) Been watching it since.

Not gonna archive binge, though.:)

Epona

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2020
Country
United States
The best episodes are the ones about anti-consumer practices in the industry. I'll take this opportunity to say that I quit watching Zero Punctuation a long time ago but I don't really know why, just sort of lost interest.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Congrats, Jim. First found you a few years ago, on the Jimquisition you had on youtube, the one where you had no character at all. Your videos were great them, and I was trying to convince people to give you a chance once you came here. I'm glad most people did, and I bet they are as well. You certainly have earned the popularity that you have here.

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
You had a rough start, Jim, but I supported you from the beginning. Congrats on your 100th and thank god for you!

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
I too thought your first video was a stinky pile of shit, but you listened to criticism (or just guessed and got it right) and made a terrific show in the end, Jim.

jimplunder

May 15, 2009
As one of the many who watched one of the first Escapist episodes of the Jimquisition, hated it, and then came back, I'm glad you've done something that many game publishers haven't... listened to audience feedback and made a better product. ^_^

Honestly, the episode that brought me back was the "Rape vs. Murder" episode on 6/25/12. I saw it on the previews while watching another video so I decided to check it out since it was on a very touchy subject. It ended up being amazing and I've been watching each episode since. So thank you for the continued entertainment, Jim. Here's to another 100!

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I actually forgot why I didn't like his first 2 or 3 videos. Some replies say they were just bad in general. I forgot specifics. Were they badly written? Acted? Content nobody cared about?

Still, I watch him every week now. They're great!

As always I give people time to ascend first impressions. You did just that.

Stryc9

Nov 12, 2008
What is this, the 1920's where the only things you can do is wear a bowler hat and stand in front of a podium pontificating on the evils of the games industry?

Congrats Jim on making it to 100 episodes, I'm one of those that was initially turned off by the show but then came back later when the subject matter interested me and now watch every week. Also, the Jimquistion helped me get into listening to Podtoid.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
I was one of those people that was a bit cynical at first. More from watching so many bad videos online. (And this site in fairness) But once I liked Jim I really liked him. Aside from his love of Deadly Premonition that won me over, he always seemed an honest and decent guy who never shits on a game for the hell of it and is passionate about games which means I trust his opinion. If Zero Punctuation is the balls and MovieBob is the brains. Then Jim is certainly the heart. Even when I disagree I always respect where he is coming from and it's usually a good place. Not a fanboy, not gushing but very happy for a guy who works hard and listens to feedback from people to do well. I have a lot of respect for that.

Aitamen

Dec 6, 2011
at EA's bullshit line: "You don't demand offline in an MMO"

Er... Yes, yes I fucking do, douchebag, and in MORPGs as well (among others). It's why I run my own servers: Because Blizz and the rest don't boot people who've no business being there. Diablo 1&2 and PSO say hi, ************. Every private server group out there, be it keeping old games alive (Schthack shoutout!), keeping old patches/content as endgame (Older WoW private servers, for the "They changed it now it sucks, I'm going back to *my* game" crew), or anything else that players can't do in retail copies... yes, I do demand offline, and control of the content I'm paying for. And ya know what? So do many other groups, like the SC groups who want LAN support and clone support, like people who mod fighters to fix problems that the devs didn't (Brawl immediately comes to mind, and while I don't particularly think that the anti-roll-glitch CvSNK2 crowd had it right, I do think that modding the game to fix the problem is a very neat solution, because it creates a game for those who like it), and like people who just genuinely enjoy getting into the guys of their games.

Go fuck yourself, EA. You've been in the shit-book for entirely too long, considering how awesome you used to be, and you're not earning any points shitting where you eat.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
So if EA can change words and give them new definitions, I can too:

Piracy is just obtaining an "extended trial version", where gamers have the "option" to unlock the "ultimate edition" by being generous and pay for it.

Remember that Old EA sayin'

ConductorCat

Jan 17, 2009
I was a hater to start with. "Who is this man, with his fake, egotistical bullshit?", I thought.

Then I saw "Fight in the Name of Childishness" and I actually got it.

Since then, you've been one of my favourite shows. I think I actually like Jimquisition more than ZP these days.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
I remember wanting to give the show exactly 5 episodes before I gave up on it, and the 5th episode was the first one I liked. It just made it in terms of my viewership and now I look forward to it. It's nice when things work out that way. Congratulations on not going the way of Game Dogs.

Regless

Jul 28, 2012
LOL. So many people saying the same thing. Well I'm no different. My oppinion was initially a very hostile 'Who exactly does this arrogant jackass think he is?' and is now. 'Where would I be without this smashing young fellow?' Guess it goes to show if you improve and do good work eventually people will take note. Awesome show Jim, and killer suit.

Mikodite

Dec 8, 2010
mjc0961 said:
You're damn right SimCity is not an MMO and it's just more DRM. The sad part is that EA didn't even have to think this one up on their own, people were offering this defense on EA's behalf for them long before EA ever came right out and used it. I really don't get people sometimes, going so far out of their way to defend companies that don't care about their loyalty in any way and are only looking to fuck them up the bum as hard as possible.

Anyway, congrats on 100 episodes. Here's to 100 more!

Uriel-238 said:

Ooh, I like this idea. EA would either have to admit that it is intended as DRM (which we all know very well it is) in order to put up a legal fight against it, or be stuck on the receiving end of a buttfucking for a chance because they don't want even more bad PR from doing the former.
Would that mean that is it perfectly legal to crack Wow and make single-player mod? Cus I don't think you can legally do that, and World of Warcraft is a legitimate MMO

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
That "thank you" ending was god damn classy.

Again, I was one of those people that hated the first few episodes, but looks like you managed to tailor it to the kind of audience on the escapist.

That or we built up an immunity to it.

Darklupus

Mar 13, 2010
Congratulations, Jim, for the hundredth episode, improving the show, and improving yourself. I'm an avid watcher of your show and thank God for you! Have a glorious day!

Mikodite

Dec 8, 2010
Aitamen said:
at EA's bullshit line: "You don't demand offline in an MMO"

Er... Yes, yes I fucking do, douchebag, and in MORPGs as well (among others). It's why I run my own servers: Because Blizz and the rest don't boot people who've no business being there. Diablo 1&2 and PSO say hi, ************. Every private server group out there, be it keeping old games alive (Schthack shoutout!), keeping old patches/content as endgame (Older WoW private servers, for the "They changed it now it sucks, I'm going back to *my* game" crew), or anything else that players can't do in retail copies... yes, I do demand offline, and control of the content I'm paying for. And ya know what? So do many other groups, like the SC groups who want LAN support and clone support, like people who mod fighters to fix problems that the devs didn't (Brawl immediately comes to mind, and while I don't particularly think that the anti-roll-glitch CvSNK2 crowd had it right, I do think that modding the game to fix the problem is a very neat solution, because it creates a game for those who like it), and like people who just genuinely enjoy getting into the guys of their games.

Go fuck yourself, EA. You've been in the shit-book for entirely too long, considering how awesome you used to be, and you're not earning any points shitting where you eat.
Hold it... there are swarms of people that want to play World of Warcraft offline?

Look, its bullshit to call SimCity an MMO (the two Ms stand for "Massive" and "Multiplayer", conditions that SimCity does not satisfy). I also thought Blizzard doing its real money auction house experiment with Diablo was kinda dumb (again, Diablo is not Massive and Multiplayer) I also have no issues with the modding community or private servers for games like WoW.

Where I'm arguing is the idea that people would want to play a massive multiplayer online game offline. EA can say "You don't demand offline in an MMO" because no one demands offline in an MMO.

I know they were demanding it for Diablo 3, but Diablo 3 wasn't an MMO: it was multiplayer sure (optional, but it was there), but it wasn't massive (no sharded worlds and the like), and any connectivity required outside the multiplayer modes would not be necessary. There were no raids or houses, you are not sharing a world with other players, there are no guilds and wars etc. Therefore being forced to play the game online in single player is bullshit.

It also makes sense to demand offline mode in SimCity (ironically enough) for all the same reasons stated: while arguably it is a massive game with a lot going on under the hood, it is not a multiplayer game. Therefore calling it an MMO is bullshit trying to hide the fact they use DRM. Frankly it insults my intelligence that they would think this would work (or are gamers too stupid to know what 'MMO' even stands for?)

However, are there people who want to play Age or Conan or Tera offline? Really? I can see wanting private servers (so wannabe devs could mod the game for their friends and shit, I can totally see that, or if they feel the hired mods don't do a good enough job keeping jack-asses off the server), but an offline mod in World of Warcraft? Why would you want to play an honest-to-god MMO by yourself or in a lan-party situation? Doesn't it sound like its defeating the purpose of an MMO? It would be one of those moments that has me questioning whether I actually like what I'm playing.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Congrats on 100 episodes Jim!

Going to miss the Jesters of the Moon music, but that's okay. :p

Nocenious

Dec 4, 2011
Congrats on the 100th episode!
I wonder how many more "MMOs" EA are going to be making now.

Koshok

Jan 22, 2011
I freaking love Danny B. I'm so glad he gave you music to use.

I'm also one of those people who saw the first few episodes of Jimquisition and absolutely despised the fact that the Escapist even hosted the show. Several weeks later, I gave it another shot, and it has since grown to be one of my favorite weekly shows on the internet.

Thank you for the great series, Jim. And, thank god for Jim.

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
lol, went back to his first episode and rewatched, and asides from being just a little rougher around the edges in terms of presentation, I suspect it's less 'he was shit and now he's good' and more that he just grew on people.

((It was also very funny to see the facebook comments on the first video were people hating him and having stopped before even getting to the end, while the first comments in the forum thread were people liking him or being interested and waiting to see more XD

Made the facebook people just look like impolite dicks in comparison to the forum's civil response))

Triality

May 9, 2011
I first watched Jim and followed his hijinx starting with an episode of his "Videogame Show What I've Done." The Quake episode is suffocatingly hilarious as you will suffocate when you run out of air from laughing haha that is the joke.

Congratulations Jim. You've earned your keep and then some. Here's to the next 100.

Dr.Panties

Dec 30, 2010
Started off wanting to lynch you, but now greatly appreciate these vids. Not enough to fellate you, though...I mean where would you even get such an idea? There are lines and one of them is called "integrity", and I'll be damned if-*MMMWWMMMPH-*.

linxcat

Jul 16, 2011
Loving the new Into/Outro Jim. It's much more punchy and professional sounding than previously. Keep up the good fight!

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
April Fools? Also, I like the "he's MovieBob, but shit" comment. :p

Wait... Danny Baranowsky? The guy who made the music for Super Meat Boy? I had no clue, that dude's music is epicly awesome!

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
Lovely Mixture said:
Roman Monaghan said:
Be careful, you might get reported for saying that. But believe me, I was gonna say the same thing.
Report away. I've made the observation that MovieBob is a terrible critic numerous times in his reviews and I'm sure I will again. He is a shitty critic. I'm sure he's a nice guy, and I wish him well personally, but his reviews are terrible, he gets too wrapped up on being critical of the major block busters for their problems in the nuts and bolts of cinema, while giving terrible movies a pass on those same problems because they appeal to his interests. He's essentially a movie hipster and I watch his reviews as a sort of anti recommendation. Not on the obvious stuff, You can usually call those from the previews. I was pretty sure I'd like Avengers, SuckerPunch or Lincoln before he reviewed them, just like I was pretty sure Battleship and Transformers 2 were going to be bad. But when a less hyped geek oriented movie comes out, if Bob likes it, I won't waste my money on it and if he hates it, I'm much more likely to go see it.

Here nor there though. We are allowed to comment on something stated in the video, even if it isn't very nice.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
I still hate your videos, and find them rather blah, but find your opinions quite interesting. Sometimes you go off on a stupid tangent and bellow for the sake of bellowing. But otherwise it's kinda amusing.

The anti-DRM thing is something I find myself agreeing with you about, that and a love of dynasty warriors. Not so sure about the dead space thing though...weirdo.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Congratulations on all your success! I wasn't interested when you started off either but you kept bringing up subjects I was interested in so I kept coming back. Now I look forward to your brand of justice every week.

So many people just rolled with what EA said without second guessing it and defending them with all the bullshit they could muster up. That's right, I got into arguments with people making up absolute crap for EA. Also, there are too many people that don't give a shit either way and many others that don't even bother researching before they buy games. Meanwhile these publishers/developers feel like they are against having more options (the future I was looking forward too) or against art in general since I can't believe how bland most games look. I wonder sometimes if it can really get worse.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
This reminds me of Yahtzee's "A QTE by any other name" column.

Wasn't bad enough that QTE's are trying to hide away as a"supposedly non-QTE" section, but now those stupid soulless suits in charge are trying to apply this "turd incognito" philosophy to their even shadier bullshit.

You know who I blame? You. Yes, everyone who sees the crap pricks like EA pull but get their games anyway. I don't care if they have stuff you want,(of course they do how else would they get you through the door)they started this war and the only way those pricks will learn is if their stuff doesn't get bought.

Make no mistake, the only way to send a message is to cut their supply of money, because suits don't understand anything else.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Crono1973 said:
ARCTIC_EAGLE said:
Wait. So you blame consumers because consumers aren't blaming publishers...yet you too don't blame publishers.
S/he is correct though.
Most consumers are incredibly short-sighted in their purchasing habits; scarcely aware of the measures publishers take to exploit them. There is no feasible way for such business models to survive otherwise.

The only thing you can do is try to better educate yourself and others to be better shoppers.
And when educating others, you have to do so carefully; push too hard, and you come across as a fanatic spouting the tired "Stop liking what I don't like!" nonsense.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
jthm said:
Lovely Mixture said:
Roman Monaghan said:
Be careful, you might get reported for saying that. But believe me, I was gonna say the same thing.
Report away. I've made the observation that MovieBob is a terrible critic numerous times in his reviews and I'm sure I will again. He is a shitty critic. I'm sure he's a nice guy, and I wish him well personally, but his reviews are terrible, he gets too wrapped up on being critical of the major block busters for their problems in the nuts and bolts of cinema, while giving terrible movies a pass on those same problems because they appeal to his interests. He's essentially a movie hipster and I watch his reviews as a sort of anti recommendation. Not on the obvious stuff, You can usually call those from the previews. I was pretty sure I'd like Avengers, SuckerPunch or Lincoln before he reviewed them, just like I was pretty sure Battleship and Transformers 2 were going to be bad. But when a less hyped geek oriented movie comes out, if Bob likes it, I won't waste my money on it and if he hates it, I'm much more likely to go see it.

Here nor there though. We are allowed to comment on something stated in the video, even if it isn't very nice.
No I agree he's a terrible critic. And I have made criticism of him in the past with no issue.
But just recently I got warned once for saying something negative about him (that wasn't even slander) on grounds of "insulting contributors." In fact it was the first time I was reported in my two years on this website.

I have no interest in reporting people for spouting opinions.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I wasn't a fan at the beginning but you really brought me back in to this show after you changed the format to it (coming up with a title and video of edited stuff while you were talking), that really did it for me.

So congrats on 100vids Jim and now onto the next milestone!

Epona

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2020
Country
United States
Atmos Duality said:
Crono1973 said:
ARCTIC_EAGLE said:
S/he is correct though.
Most consumers are incredibly short-sighted in their purchasing habits; scarcely aware of the measures publishers take to exploit them. There is no feasible way for such business models to survive otherwise.

The only thing you can do is try to better educate yourself and others to be better shoppers.
And when educating others, you have to do so carefully; push too hard, and you come across as a fanatic spouting the tired "Stop liking what I don't like!" nonsense.
So, corporations exploit consumers and consumers still buy their shit. Therefore consumers are to blame, alone.

Tell me again why the corporation isn't ALSO to blame for exploiting consumers?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Crono1973 said:
So, corporations exploit consumers and consumers still buy their shit. Therefore consumers are to blame, alone.

I didn't say consumers were alone in holding that blame, nor did I imply it.
(reading through the original post I defended again, I see that I misread it)
Of course both parties are at fault by simple cause and effect.

But that does not subtract from the fact that these exploitative business practices only work because enough consumers keep buying into it.

Companies like EA are going to keep pushing the envelope, and keep asking for more and more while offering less and less until the market slams the door in their face.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
Happy 100th to you, I've been a loyal watcher and enjoyed the gradual improvement - honestly, even the first few dreadful episodes were at least funny in their badness, if that makes any sense. You really had me at just using the FF IX music as much as you do - love that stuff, have the soundtrack on my iPod, write a bunch of papers for school to it, instant endearment.

Okay, I think I've written enough for this not to be a low content post now, so let me reiterate: Happy 100th, hope you get 100 more.

Disthron

Aug 19, 2009
Hi Jim, congratulations on 100 episodes. I have to say, I strongly disagreed with your first few episodes but I did pop in every once in a while and now I'm a regular watcher. Have a good one.

ManInRed

May 16, 2010
Those viewer comments at the beginning of the show sound like a fairly accurate summary of the response the show had, but my favorite comment I saw for your magnum opus, that sums up the entire show, is: "There's something horribly right about you."

You've given a hundred shows that have taken the tired video game topics and brought a new perspective that is often superior in its clarity, if lacking a bit of subtly. I'd be upset about there not being more, but I hate to demand so much of you that it marginalizes your quality. I cannot offer any advice, merely praise and the hope that you'll keep being brilliant, funny, and assisted by Willem Dafoe.

I don't care if Monday's blue, Sterling I thank God for you.

Defeated Detective

Sep 30, 2012
Congrats Jim, you deserve it. Along with Zero Punctuation and MovieBob(occasionally), Jimquisition is one of the three reasons why I'm here.

As for the topic at hand, the scary thing about Always Online DRM is that games are going to be tailored around the whole mechanic in the future. Along with the Auction house, We've seen how it ruined Diablo III since in order for the game benefit both features the most, they completely had to change the things that made D2 fun and exciting(the runeset system, diverse skill trees, unique PvP) into the system they have now.

If this whole practice is gonna persist, DRM will not only be the death knell of creativity in gaming(in order to make room for always online features and "season passes"), it will be the death knell of games as a whole.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
"The Titanic was an innovative submarine" Has me laughing pretty hard.
Also, great new look/music.
Cheers.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Copper Zen said:
Well Jim, as a matter of fact I'm one of the people who watched you (once, I think) in the beginning--the very first episode--and only came back a couple of months ago. I've enjoyed watching you regularly since. Maybe I've matured since your first episode?
no, you got it wrong.

subliminal messages only work when the subject is exposed to them in a regular interval....

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
While I think the show has only improved I didn't think the first few episodes were that bad. However, The Jimquisition was around long before I joined the escpist.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
Limited? Are they going to stop selling them at some point?

Do what I do and assume everything publishers do is a sinister business tactic and you will be right nine times out of ten until they finally scrabble their way up to their former glory. Although personally I think EA has so much business cancer it will never try putting quality before profit ever again and should burn.

Epona

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2020
Country
United States
Atmos Duality said:
Crono1973 said:

I didn't say consumers were alone in holding that blame, nor did I imply it.
(reading through the original post I defended again, I see that I misread it)
Of course both parties are at fault by simple cause and effect.

But that does not subtract from the fact that these exploitative business practices only work because enough consumers keep buying into it.

Companies like EA are going to keep pushing the envelope, and keep asking for more and more while offering less and less until the market slams the door in their face.
Oh well I guess I misunderstood you then. Sorry.

LoLife

Dec 7, 2012
Any chance of having a shiny badge for watch all 100 =) innovative submarine ROFL

dedem1315

Sep 25, 2010
I actually enjoyed the early episodes. Then again, I enjoy most things you put out. Like talking about bumming Jonathan Holmes. Congratulations for making it to 100 episodes Jim!

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Jimothy Sterling said:

Try not to be too offended, you twat

I think I'm one of the extreme minority that liked you from the beginning. Still don't like moviebob at all.

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
You could make tens of thounsands on your own, why be ruled by an employer like escapist magazine?

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
You could make tens of thousands on your own, why be ruled by an employer like escapist magazine?

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
Yeah, I didn't like those earlier episodes at all. It seemed you were going for a Yahtzee-style parody of a smug, selfsatisfied bastards, but the smug bastard part was so far to the forefront that it eclipsed the parody part. So three videos in I decided to give this show a miss. I only watched an occasional episode if the topic really interested me.

I only started watching more episodes about a month or two ago. I'm gradually warming up. Your style isn't as grating as it was, and I approve of most of your points (The point of the inovation video, not so much, but otherwise it's good). It isn't ZP, but I consider it worth the bother of watching now. Not exactly a glowing reivew, I know, but there you go.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
ViciousTide said:
You could make tens of thousands on your own, why be ruled by an employer like escapist magazine?
Without an employer like The Escapist, I couldn't justify the time and expense of making any, let alone tens of thousands.

Mr.Wizard

Apr 22, 2010
I am glad I gave Jimquisition a second chance. Although I'm still not a fan of the "character" I am genuinely interested in the content each week and the reasoned arguments you put forward more than make up for the intro I have to sit through to get to it.

It doesn't hurt that I almost always agree with the things you are saying (who doesn't like being told their right all the time?)

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
I never saw your earlier episodes, but I started watching you mostly because Yahtzee's episodes had started to be a lot less enjoyable for me and I needed something extra to fill the void.

Now I watch every Monday if possible, because I love seeing your show. Thanks for 100 and here's to 100 more!

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:

I actually quite liked the first few episodes. Pretty sure others did too.

Of course the show has gotten better and better as time goes on but I don't think I'll ever get the severe dislike people had for the earlier ones.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Duffeknol said:
We only disliked you because your videos were, granted, quite bad when you first started out. I was one of those haters. I'm glad you improved, you actually turned into one of my favorite internet-people. So congrats to you for your 100th episode. And congrats to us that we started out with a shit show, and ended up with a good one.
I was like that with Mr. Mendo's Hack Attack. I went in to his Scott Pilgrim review expecting to hate it,but when all was said and done,I really liked it. That being said, oh wait,I just found this article. "EA Exec Claims DRM Is a Dead End Strategy" Funny,isn't it? Here's to Jim.

Jan 27, 2011
I'm a bit disappointed that he didn't deliver the entire episode backwards. XD

Also, "the titanic was an innovative submarine"...That gave me a hell of a laugh. :p

franksands

Dec 6, 2010
Congrats on the 100 episodes! I'm a newcomer, only started watching last year, but find it all kinds of awesome. In other news, you should be glad to hear tha Lisa Foiles is coming back on tuesdays.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Thank you Jim for giving me an opportunity to knowingly nod in agreement at least once a week. It took me a while to get used to the persona, but I could never argue your arguments. Here's to a hundred more.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I've always loved co-op gaming, so all of this is especially painful to see happening
esp when local co-op gets cut

Titanic...innovative submarine indeed loll

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Congrats Jim. The Jimquisition is one of the shows I look forward to the most every week.

I too was one of those people who saw the first episode and just could not understand the humour and what had hit me.
To be honest I had never heard of Jim before that and didn't know or understand his brand of humour.
But as the show evolved I started to really like it and really appreciated the humour too.

Here's to a hundred more. Thank God for me and a little bit for Jim too, I 'spose.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, but whatever.

Jim is awesome, but his arrogance and "knowing assholishness" reminds me a lot of Rush Limbaugh. That's not necessarily a bad thing, regardless of how you feel about the guy. I'm just noting similar traits (which I am sure is an act on both of their parts).

johnzaku

Jun 16, 2009
I am one of those people who first watched, didn't care for it, and started back up again about a year ago. I admit I didn't HATE him, but I found him a tad too abrasive for my taste.

But then I saw his video Hardcore Hypocrisy and I thought: "that was a pretty good point... Maybe I should look at his stuff again. ... He says 'fuck' an awful lot. But makes pretty good points"

So to you Jim Sterling, I'd like to say, thank you for acknowledging myself and others like me. Thank god for me ;p

Sergey Sund

May 20, 2012
I'm diggin the gradualy more fashist style your show is taking on. First the Escapist - then the WORLD! (or course!)
So, Sim Shitty is turning more putrid every week now, is it?
I wasn't aware I was buying a service when buying a SimCity game. It was not marketed to me as an MMO.
That was a feature. As in - this is not a main-part of the game. As in - you can play the game disregarding this.
I'm sure the package says something about needing an online connection to play the game, but this whole MMO rethoric is a load of bull.
World of Warcraft was marketed to us as an MMO. Because teamplay is not only an integral part, but an essential part of how you experience the game. You can't play WoW without other people. It's literally impossible.
On the other hand, here is the SimCity series: A series that was for solo players for the longest time, for careful city builders and patient architects and god-players.
It was marketed to us as the NEXT SIMCITY (with new innovative features).
So, now it's an MMO? I didn't want to buy an MMO. I don't want to play with other people. And if that is still optional in the game - then why the fuck do I still have to be online to play?
And what about those innovative parts? Yahtzee highlighted that they took features out, made the game smaller, less complex and less fun.
"it plays and feels like an MMO"??? I be the fucking judge of that, you condescending pricks!
SimCity is nothing more to me than a lesser, graphic-ed up follower in the series with a tacked on, bullshitted DRM system and the inconvenience to install the Origin-platform:
An all-around shit experience, if you ask me.
So don't tell me I have to like it.

Roman Monaghan

Nov 20, 2010
Lovely Mixture said:
Roman Monaghan said:
I already got banned on an old account for saying it. Now I take it as a personal obligation to shout from the mountain tops that MovieBob is a black stain upon the internet the likes of which 4chan would be ashamed of.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Jimothy Sterling said:

I genuinely loved the train wreck that was the first few episodes.

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure I defended them just because they were gloriously bad.

The kind of bad that is genuinely funny and enjoyable.

Then fairly fast they started getting good, then better, then really good and now I'm here because its one of the better game critic shows on the web.

Also because I appreciate anyone who appreciates Willem Dafoe.

Jacco said:
I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, but whatever.

Jim is awesome, but his arrogance and "knowing assholishness" reminds me a lot of Rush Limbaugh. That's not necessarily a bad thing, regardless of how you feel about the guy. I'm just noting similar traits (which I am sure is an act on both of their parts).
Jim is being ironic.

Limbaugh believes in himself fully.

Knowing the difference is important.

AusGamer44

Mar 24, 2011
Congrats,Jim-the show really has gone from strength to strength.I actually seek it out if I haven't watched it for a few weeks,which says something.
What made those early shows SO terrible were the excesses of the 'character' you created.God,I HATED that guy.For me,the strength of the show is your serious analysis of the issue at hand where you're more talking as yourself.You make some REALLY salient points.I think the best 'character' critics(Nostalgia Critic,Yahtzee etc),while speaking through snarkier,more outspoken personas,still have something at their core which draws from their real life characters..(e.g Nostalgia Chick makes fun of her own academic leanings by dialling it up a 1000 to make the character a huge pseudo-intellectual.)Your character was so OTT it was just unpleasant to watch.I still think this is still the weakest part of your show,but now at least it's dialled back to be more in line with the arguments you raise.
And as a female gamer,I LOVED your show on the lack of female protagonists.After that,you could do no wrong for me,;-)
Oh except for the David Cage thing.Don't. EVER. Do.that.again.:)

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Egotistical as always, good to see the character hasn't ch- you just thanked people?! Unsubscribed! >:U

OT: But no, it's been a good show and I like when video makers aren't afraid to call bullshit when they see it. And you & Yahtzee do that in spades, and for that we thank you.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I belong in the camp that hated Jimqusiiton when I first saw it because I thought that the host was a poor man's Moviebob. What I find odd about my change of opinion is I'm not sure why or how it changed. One day I watched an episode and didn't like it, another day I tried a different episode and end up thinking of Jimqusiiton as one of my favourite two shows of the escapist. I even went back to the episode that I didn't originally like and found myself enjoying it.

Ronin1325

Mar 11, 2012
I've been raving about software companies trying to take us back to the 1970's for a number of years now. It's great that Jim's picked up on them trying to change their product into a "service". Keep us paying forever, or at least until they shut the servers down, at which point we have nothing to show for all the money we poured into it. But it isn't just game companies trying to do this. Adobe's been telling Australians that they can stop getting price gouged by going on The Cloud-

http://www.dailytech.com/Update+Adobe+CEO+Dodges+Questions+on+Overpricing+in+Australia/article29902.htm

Nauseating. Heh, how long before physical product companies jump wholesale on this? You can't buy toilets anymore! Now you can only lease them & have to pay-per-flush. :p

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
I initially didn't like how I had to be online to play D3 but once I found out how useful the auction house was I saw the merits of having a system designed to prevent duping. I also liked the achievements for online play.

While there wasn't a demand for a real money auction house or an auction house in D3 both of these things existed unofficially in D2. So all Blizzard did was put these things in game to make them more accessible, rather than have players use trading which significantly increases the risk of being scammed.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
I initially didn't like how I had to be online to play D3 but once I found out how useful the auction house was I saw the merits of having a system designed to prevent duping. I also liked the achievements for online play.

While there wasn't a demand for a real money auction house or an auction house in D3 both of these things existed unofficially in D2. So all Blizzard did was put these things in game to make them more accessible, rather than have players use trading which significantly increases the risk of being scammed.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Roman Monaghan said:
Lovely Mixture said:
Roman Monaghan said:
I already got banned on an old account for saying it. Now I take it as a personal obligation to shout from the mountain tops that MovieBob is a black stain upon the internet the likes of which 4chan would be ashamed of.
I like your principles sir. You keep up the good work.

uanime5 said:
Well I think the biggest question is why they couldn't have the Diablo II system where you had separate characters for online and offline.

Sure it would take more work, but given how much time people were waiting for Diablo III, I don't think they would mind

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
duchaked said:
I've always loved co-op gaming, so all of this is especially painful to see happening

Thankfully, you can still splitscreen Ao2 TDC.

If you want to.

Which you shouldn't.

No, seriously.

As a fan of both co-op gaming and of the prior Army of Two games (Yes, we exist. There are 7 of us), this game is pretty dreadful.

But you can splitscreen it if you want.

If you want to.

Which...You get the point.

I'm legitimately curious now, though. Jim brings this up regarding Ao2: The Devil's Cardigan, but this argument is one I would think applied to Saints Row the Third as well. Did Jim ever address this? Saints Row 3 may not have had boost jumps and vague homosexual camaraderie (unless you play as a chick, because the Boss always hits on Shaundi), but it was heavily built around co-op and advertised as a co-op experience. Why only bring it up now?

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:

That removes my fears of it being in there to be a physical representation of the title.

Skoosh

Jun 19, 2009
One hundred episodes in and it's finally looking like a proper show! I was on of those people that criticized the first couple episodes, came back around 5 or 10 episodes in once you started improving and stayed watching ever since. You're one of the few people that actually reads the criticisms and fixed your problems. It wasn't great, but acceptable with good content. But now the backdrop and everything looks great! Got a consistent theme going throughout and it looks like it took more than an hour to make.

So yeah, look forward to the next 100 episodes. Sure, content gets a bit repetitive (EA!!!!) but it's important issues in the game industry, so I can forgive it, especially when it makes me laugh.

Mara Kalat

Dec 11, 2012
Congrats on the 100 episodes.
I've seen... maybe 7 of them or something.
Your show tires me at times, the bravado and overemphasized lines not adding strength but diluting the message.

However, (otherwise I'd have kept my opinion safely to myself)
I am glad you have a platform.
The things you say, and the force with which you say them are excellent.
I simply aren't particularly fond of the form that you choose for it.

Do we need voices representing gamers in telling developers and publishers what they should stop doing?
Yes, yes and hell yes.
You perform a service to all of us, both fans and haters of your show alike (I'd count myself among neither).
So thank you Jim. Please keep doing what you do, and don't listen to people that are annoyed by you and want you to go away (which, in fact, is partially me).

Is this a schizophrenic post? I hope not, I hope my point comes across.
Thank Christ you've found music other than Jesters of the Moon though.
Let's go for the 200!

Mara.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
Congratulations, Jim. The opening by Drill Queen always reminds me of that scary singer from Mad Max (Robina Chaffey, I just looked it up) whose only purpose in the film seemed to serve as an excuse for people to say "Well, at least the Goose Man got laid before all his skin got burned off."

mightlife

Jan 23, 2013
I always enjoy tuning in for your brand of well-versed vitriol; keep it coming.

gridsleep said:
Congratulations, Jim. The opening by Drill Queen always reminds me of that scary singer from Mad Max (Robina Chaffey, I just looked it up) whose only purpose in the film seemed to serve as an excuse for people to say "Well, at least the Goose Man got laid before all his skin got burned off."
'on the liquorice riiieeeiiide!'

8o

CleverNickname

Sep 19, 2010
Thank you, Jim.

I'm 3 days late because I still watch Jimquisition on Thursdays, not Mondays. Monday is LRR-day (with Checkpoint on PATV), Tuesday has Big Picture, Wednesday has ZP, FeedDump and Extra Credits on PATV. Fridays has Escape to the Movies. Thursdays are just right for Jimquisition. Can't have Escapist overload on Mondays. What else do I have to watch on Thursdays with my tea in the morning.

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
I haven't been around the Escapist long enough to see the earlier episodes, but if hearsay is anything to go by, that's a good thing.

Regardless, this has become a fantastic show, and I think I speak for everyone when I say we hope to see more of you in the future.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
RE: Diablo III, at least now we know actiblizzard was spouting bullshit when "motivating" the always online requriement since they're reportedly dropping it (along with the auction house) for the PS3 release.

Nymi

Nov 26, 2011
I'll be honest and say I prefer MovieBob when he's reviewing movies. When talking on games, I generally see a flaming pile of shit from him and angelic farts from Jim Sterling. That's probably a weird compliment, but it -is- a complain-y show, so.. Stuff.

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
Well done Jim thanks for not giving up when the initial response was negative and another great video yet again :) keeping us informed on how we are being used, abused and tricked by the companies we keep afloat.... warms my heart <3

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
When I first saw his episodes I dismissed Jim as a fat loud mouthed arrogant arse.
Now I realise that's a good thing. Here's to another 100 brilliant shows :D

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Dear Jim, your show is quite entertaining. Although truthfully, I'm not sure you really need video because the audio is really the only important part.

I honestly think that people originally preferred Lisa Foiles to you because she's a lot better looking. Once you dig down into the content you're a lot more interesting.

Please don't take this as being against Lisa Foiles, I'm fairly neutral on her show. If you like it, watch it.

endplanets

Mar 18, 2011
Hurray for 100 episodes.
But what's this, no mention of how Steam is DRM under a different name.

I started watching Jimquisition episodes several months ago and love it.
One of these days I need to go watch the early Jimquisition episodes because I cannot imagine them being that bad.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Glad you made it to 100 Jim and so on.

Will say ya I was one that hated it in the beginning but it was mostly because the usual trap of wanting to cut to yourself to do something "funny" every minute and then go back to trying to make a point. similar fates happen to a lot of shows that don't realize they shouldn't do that ;p

Jewpacabra

Dec 25, 2008
You need a cane. Fantastic as always, and congratulations on the success, but all I could think the whole time was that with that cap, you need some sort of cane.

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
Congrats on the milestone. I wish there was a badge for having so many 500+ comment posts on the site. You managed to snag me as a weekly watcher after only about 4 or 5 episodes, and dragged me back to Destructoid again as well.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
duchaked said:

Thankfully, you can still splitscreen Ao2 TDC.

If you want to.

Which you shouldn't.

No, seriously.

As a fan of both co-op gaming and of the prior Army of Two games (Yes, we exist. There are 7 of us), this game is pretty dreadful.

But you can splitscreen it if you want.

If you want to.

Which...You get the point.

I'm legitimately curious now, though. Jim brings this up regarding Ao2: The Devil's Cardigan, but this argument is one I would think applied to Saints Row the Third as well. Did Jim ever address this? Saints Row 3 may not have had boost jumps and vague homosexual camaraderie (unless you play as a chick, because the Boss always hits on Shaundi), but it was heavily built around co-op and advertised as a co-op experience. Why only bring it up now?
haha my old roommate and I played the first two Army of Two games, and we're planning play through the third for old time's sake lol