Jimquisition: Bullshit in Sheep's Clothing

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Bullshit in Sheep's Clothing

Join Jim as he celebrates the 100th episode of Jimquisition ... and complains about EA. Again.

Watch Video

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
We only disliked you because your videos were, granted, quite bad when you first started out. I was one of those haters. I'm glad you improved, you actually turned into one of my favorite internet-people. So congrats to you for your 100th episode. And congrats to us that we started out with a shit show, and ended up with a good one.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Yeah, those first few episodes were freaking terrible. Your more recent efforts have become very watchable.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Speaking out of character, I know full well the first few episodes were dreadful.

I thank everyone, sincerely, for giving it the extra chances it needed. :)

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I can't even get mad at EA anymore, they pull so much stupid shit I can't help but laugh at them.

Congrats on the 100 episodes Jim and way to rock that bowler hat :D

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Em, I liked Jimquisition back on Destructoid. So I was ok with it moving here. Destructoid, escapist, no difference for me.

grumpymooselion

May 5, 2011
I'm quite on board with your summation of this issue. I just don't think there's anything to say, other than to agree, in that regard.

I am, however, quite thankful you're here on the Escapist at all, that you've made so many videos tackling subjects of interest, and that God hasn't struck you with a bolt of lightning . . . just yet.

Thanks for existing Jim. Keep it up, bring us many more savory delights.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I refused to watch your videos when you first started out here, but that was due to issues unrelated to the quality of them. I'm glad I eventually caved though, you often point out stuff that I agree with and I can only hope will eventually get drilled into the thick skulls of those in the industry. Not holding my breath though.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
100 Episodes of Catharsis...some better, some worse.
Well Jim, you moved past your rocky start, adapted from criticism and now your show routinely generates miles of comments.

If nothing else, it's entertaining to watch such topics burn.

As for the subject of the video itself. Old news to me. Always-Online DRM is nothing but retrograde design; the systematic subtraction of features for the entrapment and exploitation of consumer trust.

It's all wrapped up under the guise of "fighting piracy" or "pushing for the evolution of games", or whatever euphemism sounds good at the moment.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Yeah, after the first few episodes, I didn't think the Jimquisition would last very long.

However, watching it each week now, I'm extremely glad it did. Turned into one of the pieces of content I watch as soon as the video goes up on The Escapist. Although thanks to the content The Escapist has, this isn't a very exclusive group.

Anyway, congrats on the 100 Jim and Willem! (And to many more and all that good stuff)

ARCTIC_EAGLE

Dec 31, 2011
I don't blame publishers/devs for the BS drm or other terrible "features" I blame consumers, if consumers actually cared publishers would stop. Look at SimCity, if everyone had demanded refunds and refused to rebuy it until EA added in offline play, fixed glaring issues, apologized, etc EA would have done it. But they were still able to sell 1.1 million copies so why should they care? Why should they care when they're going to make a lot more from DLC? Why should any publisher care what the consumer thinks if they're still making huge amounts of cash? The answer is they shouldn't and they won't, if consumers really do hate their practices then the consumers need to change which will force publishers to change.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
"He's like MovieBob, but shit."

Uh-huh... I'd rather watch your earlier episodes than anything Bob puts out, especially when Bob tries to talk about video games. I'm sorry, but I really don't like Bob's stuff. Period. [http://www.peterwexlerstudio.com/Red_Bars/BLACK_DOT.gif]

Anyways, I like the new style Jim. You'd look better in a fedora though.
Not a trilby which YZ wears. A fedora [http://www.hollandhats.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/tilleyhatTown_Fedora.jpg].

Now, I wasn't aware EA was dressing up Online Passes like that so it's nice to know that now. Now I have another little bit to put into the "Never buy from EA" bin.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I'm probably one of the few people who liked the first few episodes too...

I appreciate how much better the quality of the arguments has become over time, but I felt that it was a lot "funnier" at the start. The opening, ending, and occasional stingers still make me bust out laughing, but there was a lot more humorous satire and ribbing during the actual discussion of the content in question -- er, after the first four weeks or so, I should clarify --, as opposed to now where it's seemed to become more angry ranting again. I dunno if that's more an observation of the gaming industry and community in general or the actual show in question, though...

OT: It's a bit of a slippery slope, but I'll admit that it is one that publishers like EA could easily fall down. Always-online DRM isn't necessarily a deal-breaker for whether I'd play a game or not, but I'll put it this way: The only reason I actually played Diablo III was because Blizzard gave it to me for free because of my WoW subscription. [small]Granted I hadn't played either of the previous games so had no vested interested in the franchise anyway, but that's beside the point.[/small]

I don't think calling it a 'service' would really fool the customers though. It hasn't so far, at least, and the intertubez have gotten clogged up with rage and bile every time while the games still sell because it seems to be a vocal minority who voice their displeasure for this sort of thing on forums such as The Escapist.

I do hope that isn't the direction things take, though. I don't buy games for multi-player or online components.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
You know, I'd probably have gotten tired of you bashing EA if it wasn't so fun to watch and well deserved. Also I have to say that I've actually had the pleasant experience in not buying many games with an online pass, and the only DRM I use is steam, which does suck money out of my wallet but the damn thing makes me want to throw money at it. God damn it Valve! Stop putting things on sale! I need to pay for college!

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I think the only reason I didn't watch the show at the start was because it was "Another Englishmen ranting about stuff". Being English it's a somewhat daily occurrence, so it's nice to get away from it.

Then I gave it a try, and have been watching it every Monday since. I'd say it's my favourite video series on here, even if I do disagree with the occasional one (although never the EA ones, you couldn't be more right about them).

Daft Ghosty

Sep 25, 2010
I was one of those who loathed your videos when you started out. Now you and Yahtzee are the only reason why I visit the Escapist these days. If you were to leave I'd have one less reason to visit =)

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
"The Titanic is an innovative new submarine." I'm going to find some way to work that into casual conversation.