Jimquisition: Bullshit in Sheep's Clothing

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
I watched some of your stuff before you came to the escapist. I think the one that made me laugh the most was the Aquaphobia kerfluffle. That the dev contacted you and said something to the effect of "u weren't playin' de game wright! hur dur!"

Then I saw you were coming to the escapist and I was excited. I loves me some opinionated people who often share similar opinions to my own. Also, the amount of people who seem to not get that your "thank god for me" personality, is just that, a personality makes me LOLOLOLOLOL every.single.time.

Congratz Jimothy. Loved the bowler hat too btw.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
Jim I hated your first episode. I really did.

And yet you pulled this shit together and its become one of my favorite shows on the Escapist. Godspeed Jim, Godspeed.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
Join Jim as he celebrates the 100th episode of Jimquisition ... and complains about EA. Again.
Congratulations Jim! Thank the gods for you and your one hundredth episode.

As to those "first run" stories - honestly, I think it was just your first episode. Even now, as a fan, I don't enjoy episode 1. It just... isn't you. You don't even (that I recall) thank god for yourself in episode 1. It honestly feels too serious. It's your sense of humor and cutting sarcasm that makes the show work as well as it does, and in episode 1 you just seem pissed off.

Episode 2, on the other hand, is eminently watchable. Your humor is far better, your persona (while still forming) is funny and engaging. You found a balance between bombastic sarcasm and hyperbole and the sharp intelligent critiques hidden beneath.

That's actually pretty incredible! Even Movie Bob didn't find his voice that quickly (some of his early reviews are disturbing to watch now as they seem very off).

So once again, congratulations! You've weathered 100 episodes and become one of the most recognizable faces of the Escapist.

Oh, and I liked the new theme music. ^^

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Great Sir Jimmonsby.

I still regret my kneejerk reaction to your first efforts. Emphasis on the work jerk, because I usually express displeasure in- shall we say- "robust" terms.

Congrats on an excellent series. Congrats on your 100th episode.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I tend to think of the Jimquisition as being a bit of a Rush Limbaugh of games journalism, with the important distinction that while Rush Limbaugh is largely stoking rage to support a morally bankrupt pile of snake oil salesmen, Jim has rightfully turned his cutting Britishness on game industry bullshit, a small but Escapist-relevant portion of aforementioned snake oil salesmen. I think I'd have a lot more respect for Rush if he had the scruples Jim did in choosing the right side, even if sardonically barbed furor may strike many as a rather rude way of getting their point across (but can we deny it is entertaining).

As for the topic at hand in this video, well, I try to be charitable in expressing EA is not completely wrong to suggest that piracy is rife on the PC and they should be trying to recover some lost dollar, but the problem is that DRM is virtually always worked around, and if they're that set on justifying it by making Simcity into an MMO, then it should probably actually be one instead of just tacking on a bunch of online features nobody wants. Yes, I'm saying EA's mistake with SimCity may well have been choosing the wrong priority during development to achieve the same end.

Basically, I'm in agreement with Jim here, if perhaps slightly more sympathizing with the content seller who is tired of being shafted by piracy, but coming back around and saying always-online DRM doesn't work anyway - at least, not any better than offline-only DRM - so why give their paying customers the shaft?

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Thank you Jim!

You've come a long way since your first episode indeed. Here [http://go-rio.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/stella_15378_large.jpg]'s to a hundred more!

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Once I went to that 'check out more drill queen' link and it turned out there was no more, they only ever made that 1 song.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Congrats on hitting 100 episodes, Jim! I'm one of the many who thought your first episodes were crap trolling for its own sake, but damn if I didn't warm up to you! Your points got more concise and eloquent, and I hope to hear more. When did MovieBob recommend you?

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Jim, you are the person that brought me into this brave new world of Escapist
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.353118-Jimquisition-Mass-Effect-3-And-The-Case-For-A-Gay-Shepard?page=14#14021616
So Jim from the bottom of my frozen heart- Thank God for you sir!

And to be honest I'm still wondering what drugs are you on.
[sub][sub](and where I can get some of those too)[/sub][/sub]

P.S. Must ask- how does that purple dildo tasted?

Shankity Stick

64l\/l3r fr0l\/l 81rtl-l
Jul 16, 2009
Ok Jim, that was cute. Now change the intro back to what it was. Hate to tell you, but that cut is significantly worse. Cool?

Matthewmagic

Feb 13, 2010
Hey jim i really like the outfit change it actually looks kinda "Dashing" not that I see your character doing much more than a light jog any time soon. Didn't really like the show at first but you won me over can't wait to see what is happening next :D!

Symbio Joe

Dec 7, 2010
Well done good Sir, and I hope you did not get Aids from all the insecurity you sucked off.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
it been 100 eps already?

nice.

and yeah, I'm one of those people that hated the early eps, I kept watching cause >.> I had nothing better to do really, but then you started getting better and I started looking forward to the show, now it's a part of my Monday routine

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
happy 100th episode!
also when you opened "army of 2: the devils cartel" it actually had naruto ultimate ninja storm... was that on porpose?
also i liked the previous music better... but what ever...

Jun 23, 2008
This thing that Gibeau is saying does present some interesting legal implications. Here in the US the anti-circumvention clause of the DMCA makes it illegal for us to crack DRM even for non-infringing purposes. If Gibeau's statement is EA's official position, that the persistent-online-connection is not a DRM implementation, it may make it legal and acceptable for someone to mod Sim City by eliminating the always-online requirement and creating a localized game-save system.

Similarly, that may mean it's possible to bypass the payement parts of microtransactions and on-disc DLC, if those are retermed as features i.e. for the benefit of the user, and not DRM protected extras. In that case, it would be acceptable (even encouraged) to mod easy access on the basis that the user-experience is being improved.

238U

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
Speaking out of character, I know full well the first few episodes were dreadful.

I thank everyone, sincerely, for giving it the extra chances it needed. :)
I actually didn't mind the first videos at all, I just thought they were very rough around the edges.

But yes, they just grew better and better. :D

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I actually really liked the early Jimquisitions, but they had this heavy layer of satire that meant the actual point of the show was usually lost on most people (including me sometimes until someone managed to decipher the point in the comment section.)

I think the reason these have become so successful is that Jim is right, he gets the issues that come up that affect gamers, and simply explains them in a way that point out what is obviously rotten about the issue, and what needs to change. It's a brilliant formula and it works so well.

Thanks Jim may your next 100 be just as... quisitiony