Jimquisition: Bullshit in Sheep's Clothing

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
Liked your show from the first time it came to the Escapist, and I'm glad you will be staying for the future! The Jimquisition has become an important part of any good monday. Thank God for episode 100!

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
That new header is goddam' sweet.

That's all I have to contribute really.

FOUR MORE YEARS! FOUR MORE YEARS!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
You're damn right SimCity is not an MMO and it's just more DRM. The sad part is that EA didn't even have to think this one up on their own, people were offering this defense on EA's behalf for them long before EA ever came right out and used it. I really don't get people sometimes, going so far out of their way to defend companies that don't care about their loyalty in any way and are only looking to fuck them up the bum as hard as possible.

Anyway, congrats on 100 episodes. Here's to 100 more!

Uriel-238 said:
This thing that Gibeau is saying does present some interesting legal implications. Here in the US the anti-circumvention clause of the DMCA makes it illegal for us to crack DRM even for non-infringing purposes. If Gibeau's statement is EA's official position, that the persistent-online-connection is not a DRM implementation, it may make it legal and acceptable for someone to mod Sim City by eliminating the always-online requirement and creating a localized game-save system.

Similarly, that may mean it's possible to bypass the payement parts of microtransactions and on-disc DLC, if those are retermed as features i.e. for the benefit of the user, and not DRM protected extras. In that case, it would be acceptable (even encouraged) to mod easy access on the basis that the user-experience is being improved.
Ooh, I like this idea. EA would either have to admit that it is intended as DRM (which we all know very well it is) in order to put up a legal fight against it, or be stuck on the receiving end of a buttfucking for a chance because they don't want even more bad PR from doing the former.

Shankity Stick said:
Ok Jim, that was cute. Now change the intro back to what it was. Hate to tell you, but that cut is significantly worse. Cool?
People watch it? I watched it this one time because it was different, but next week I go back to skipping it again. I never watch any intro longer than 10 seconds, because once you know when the intro is over, it's so easy to skip ahead to 0:20 on these or 0:16 on ZP.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
To answer the Naruto question:

Army of Two was in the other room and I was too lazy to get it. I realized the case would look lame empty. A review copy of Naruto was right next to my desk. I made the executive call.
Do you like Naruto, the game I mean. Im a long time fan of the series and im surprised just how good the games are, Gekitou Ninja Taisen is the only fighting game i've ever really enjoyed.

WAIT! You're not using the FF9 music anymore!? Well I guess I have no more reason to watch the show, it was fun while it lasted...

Your Gaffer

Oct 10, 2012
Frank Gibeau and all the gibbering idiots over at EA are just that, gibbering idiots. The funny thing is they think we, their customers, are bigger idiots than they are!
Of course if we keep giving them our money maybe they are right.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
love the hat.
I am really happy you made it to 100, i didn't like your first couple of episodes but the way you improved the show so much so fast is something i have not seen before or since. one of my favourite internet online things. oh and this also made me check out podtoid which covers my weekly dose of anus conversations.

happy 100. episode and thank god for jim

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Congrats Jim on your 100th episode, been watching you from the start. Here's to many more.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Glad to see Miniature Fantasy-Edition Super Secret Agent Willem Dafoe (Now with Kung Fu Grip!) finally got a smart looking suit of his own! One can only hope he later takes it off to reenact Antichrist in the background of the next episode.

While I like the new bowler hat, video title card, and shiny/distracting background, I feel that your red sunglasses simply aren't smarmy and/or British enough to fit the tone of the rest of your video. In their stead, I would like to suggest that you try wearing a pair of Spider Jerusalem sunglasses or A Clockwork Orange eyelash makeup to compensate for your aforementioned deficiency in smarm and/or Britishness. Oh, and happy 100th episode!

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
OMG, Danny Baranowski!!! :D:D:D:D, the Jimquisition just got 20% cooler!

I just loved his work in Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac, also, this:

Congrats for the 100th episode!, here's to 100 more!.

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
"You can put a wig on a horse and stick it in a wedding dress, but you and the horse both know you're still banging a fucking horse"
MY SIDES. THEY HURT ALL OVER!
mjc0961 said:
Shankity Stick said:
Ok Jim, that was cute. Now change the intro back to what it was. Hate to tell you, but that cut is significantly worse. Cool?
People watch it? I watched it this one time because it was different, but next week I go back to skipping it again. I never watch any intro longer than 10 seconds, because once you know when the intro is over, it's so easy to skip ahead to 0:20 on these or 0:16 on ZP.
I watch the intro. I like most intros people put together so I usually like to watch it. Since I like the song that Jimquisiton and ZP use for the intro, I actually like watching it.

OT: Congrats on 100 episodes Jim! I've been watching for about a year and really enjoy the work you put up. Here's to 100 more!

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
To answer the Naruto question:

Army of Two was in the other room and I was too lazy to get it. I realized the case would look lame empty. A review copy of Naruto was right next to my desk. I made the executive call.
I thought you were trying to make some kind of clever joke about Army of Two or something like that.

OT:
Oh I remember the early days, those videos were a little confusing.

randomsix

Apr 20, 2009
Pleasure across the board.

To snark, to self-aggrandizement, and Willem Dafoe. Huzzah!

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Good on you Jim, been enjoying you since the start, you've only been getting better.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
I don't know if Jim will see this but either way nice work on all the eps. This is my most watched series on the Escapist after Zero Punc and I must say it's always an enjoyable show for me.

Nice work!

Also MOAR EA bashing yeaaaaaaa!!!!!

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Watching you, Jim, has been inspirational. As I go forward and start my own YouTube thingy, I will remember the things you've learned and apply that to my own channel when I get it up and running.

Here's to the first 100 videos and to the next 100! *raises mug*

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
congrats on 100. same story as many others for me, i didn't like you at first, but you grew on me, and it didn't take long before i started thanking god for you. keep on keepin' on.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
It doesn't matter that this video pointed out the bullshit that publishers try to get away with. I've seen people on The Escapist defending the bullshit rhetoric you were just talking about. They actually believe that video games are services if the publishers decide to call them services. And they don't give a shit. They gladly buy it. And they don't see that they are the problem. A company can't get away with anything if consumers stop buying their products. Solution: STOP BUYING THEIR PRODUCTS!
Literally all it takes is to boycott one game until they remove the feature that caused the boycott in the first place. They will have to remove it if they want to make money off of it, and they won't dare to implement that bullshit in their next game. Capitalism is that simple. People have the power. All they have to do is use their brain.
Ever though that they do not care? Not everyone gives a crap about gaming. Some people just have it as a passing hobby; if a game fails for them, they just go on to the next. They don't know EA and they don't care to know because for them, there are much larger issues with other companies, like insurance and medical care.

Yeah, it's the "There are bigger fish to fry" argument, but at least attempt to see it from someone else's perspective before calling them brainless.

I think this is the result of our insulated community; we've deluded ourselves into thinking that we can make a difference. I think even Jim has himself convinced since we respond to him.

Here's the truth; the revolution is never going to happen. It can't happen. If EA fails as companies do, it will not be due to us being pissed off. It will be because of the FIFA, NHL, NFL etc. crowds getting bored with the roster updates. Do you honestly think they care about EA? No, and it's not apathy or brainlessness. EA fills their desire for games; playing as their idols in their favourite sport. You know, the purpose of the system, fulfilling the customer's desires? The same system that has these tactics work financially? Maybe we are pissed off, but there is a very large market that apparently does not care.

It's likely that I'll get more people disagreeing than agreeing, but that's most likely because the people that don't care don't frequent these forums because they aren't motivated to complain.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Online passes become ever more prevalent in gaming these days, although a few games, when sold used through GameStop, generate online passes for you within so many months of the games release. Sony does this, as does Warner Bros. Interactive. While this is a nice gesture, it makes me wonder why they bother at all. I'm sure they have some sort of deal with GameStop.

It's one of the reasons I like 2K as a publisher - no bullshit codes, just you and your game. I remember a time when EA used to give incentives for buying new, rather than punishing players for buying used. Now they're doing both, which makes even less sense than just punishing players for buying used. Like, remember when buying Dragon Age and Mass Effect new got you some free DLC? I'd rather they just go back to that system. It's like they see the money people make from pre-owned games think that by eliminating used games (of any variety, not just what's sold at GameStop) that they will make all of that money for themselves instead. But hey, video games are a luxury right? So if you can't afford to buy a game brand new, well fuck you, or whatever mentality anti-used gamers have.

All that said, I'm glad you're still here, Jim. It's good to have such a consumer-minded voice in the Game Journalism business. You tirelessly tirade about the way we, as consumers, are treated by an industry that used to have to fight for our money, and is now demanding it before we've even seen the game played.

So congratulations on your 100th episode! For as long as your show is running, I'll be here to watch it.