Jimquisition: Bullshit in Sheep's Clothing

jebara

Nov 19, 2009
I don't know how you did it, but Jim...your show went from my most hated of the escapist to one of my favourite shows on the internet, even beating ZP which I used to religiously follow.
You came a long way and made me eat my words,I think I know who to thank...

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I was one of the many people who thought you were a hack when you first started out. At some point I decided to give your show another try and was pleasantly surprised to see that you'd taken the criticisms to heart (the constructive ones at least) and turned this show around. These days it's the light in the darkness that is Monday.

Thank God for you Jim. Keep spreading the good word!

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Uriel-238 said:
This thing that Gibeau is saying does present some interesting legal implications. Here in the US the anti-circumvention clause of the DMCA makes it illegal for us to crack DRM even for non-infringing purposes. If Gibeau's statement is EA's official position, that the persistent-online-connection is not a DRM implementation, it may make it legal and acceptable for someone to mod Sim City by eliminating the always-online requirement and creating a localized game-save system.

Similarly, that may mean it's possible to bypass the payement parts of microtransactions and on-disc DLC, if those are retermed as features i.e. for the benefit of the user, and not DRM protected extras. In that case, it would be acceptable (even encouraged) to mod easy access on the basis that the user-experience is being improved.

238U
I like the sound of this.

Congrats on 100 episodes Jim!

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Uriel-238 said:
This thing that Gibeau is saying does present some interesting legal implications. Here in the US the anti-circumvention clause of the DMCA makes it illegal for us to crack DRM even for non-infringing purposes. If Gibeau's statement is EA's official position, that the persistent-online-connection is not a DRM implementation, it may make it legal and acceptable for someone to mod Sim City by eliminating the always-online requirement and creating a localized game-save system.

Similarly, that may mean it's possible to bypass the payement parts of microtransactions and on-disc DLC, if those are retermed as features i.e. for the benefit of the user, and not DRM protected extras. In that case, it would be acceptable (even encouraged) to mod easy access on the basis that the user-experience is being improved.

238U
Interesting point. If you are correct and their insistence that it's not DRM means this is allowed, EA are going to have an interesting time trying to prevent people cracking their games.

Not that they were ever successful at that to begin with.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the original batch of videos, but they got quite better and more savvy as time went by.

On topic, I find it amusing that all game companies exist to make money, and are out to make money... it's just that a company like Valve is so sly, talented, and generous about it, doing it in ways that genuinely do make people feel like they got a good deal out of it, while EA, trying to do the same thing, seems to just have zero idea of what "good public relations" are.

They're like David Cage and "emotions" or Capcom and "DLC"; they think they know what they are but have no clue in reality what they're talking about. EA thinks they understand what Valve does with Steam and they try and replicate them, but they just have zero grasp of what people actually like about it or how they relate to it.

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
"He's like MovieBob, but shit."

Uh-huh... I'd rather watch your earlier episodes than anything Bob puts out, especially when Bob tries to talk about video games. I'm sorry, but I really don't like Bob's stuff. Period. [http://www.peterwexlerstudio.com/Red_Bars/BLACK_DOT.gif]
Quoted For Identical Opinion

For example, I didn't really like FPS before I played STALKER like a year ago, but Bob's old video "Worst Person" still irritated me tremendously back when it was new. I felt nothing strong for or against the genre back then, yet it still felt like someone was pouring liquid condescension in my ears

JokerCR

May 22, 2011
I was one of those haters at first, but I gave it another shot later and now I think the show is swell! Keep it up Jimmy boy.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I stood at attention the video throughout in celebration. Congratulations!

The Jimquisition is here to stay, indeed. And well worth of that. I never thought I'd say it when I did, but... Thank God for Jim!

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
I was a former hater, I just didn't enjoy watching your earlier videos. But saw you touch on a few topics i cared about and been watching these ever since.

Good job Jim and keep up the good work :D

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
ARCTIC_EAGLE said:
I don't blame publishers/devs for the BS drm or other terrible "features" I blame consumers, if consumers actually cared publishers would stop. Look at SimCity, if everyone had demanded refunds and refused to rebuy it until EA added in offline play, fixed glaring issues, apologized, etc EA would have done it. But they were still able to sell 1.1 million copies so why should they care? Why should they care when they're going to make a lot more from DLC? Why should any publisher care what the consumer thinks if they're still making huge amounts of cash? The answer is they shouldn't and they won't, if consumers really do hate their practices then the consumers need to change which will force publishers to change.
Wait. So you blame consumers because consumers aren't blaming publishers...yet you too don't blame publishers.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I didn't like the first Jimquisition videos that were shown here on the Escapist, as well. But slowly and surely, as i kept on watching them, they got better. And now, I dare say it's the show here on the Escapist that i want to see the most. It gives me laughs and makes me think. Great stuff indeed. And 100 episodes went by pretty darn fast. Keep up the awesome work, Jim!

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
My story's like a lot of others. Didn't like it, gave up on it, gave it another try later on. (Specifically after Jim's comments during the Extra Credits fiasco made me think I should give him another shot.) Been watching it since.

Not gonna archive binge, though.:)

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
The best episodes are the ones about anti-consumer practices in the industry. I'll take this opportunity to say that I quit watching Zero Punctuation a long time ago but I don't really know why, just sort of lost interest.

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
You had a rough start, Jim, but I supported you from the beginning. Congrats on your 100th and thank god for you!

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
I too thought your first video was a stinky pile of shit, but you listened to criticism (or just guessed and got it right) and made a terrific show in the end, Jim.

jimplunder

May 15, 2009
As one of the many who watched one of the first Escapist episodes of the Jimquisition, hated it, and then came back, I'm glad you've done something that many game publishers haven't... listened to audience feedback and made a better product. ^_^

Honestly, the episode that brought me back was the "Rape vs. Murder" episode on 6/25/12. I saw it on the previews while watching another video so I decided to check it out since it was on a very touchy subject. It ended up being amazing and I've been watching each episode since. So thank you for the continued entertainment, Jim. Here's to another 100!

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I actually forgot why I didn't like his first 2 or 3 videos. Some replies say they were just bad in general. I forgot specifics. Were they badly written? Acted? Content nobody cared about?

Still, I watch him every week now. They're great!

As always I give people time to ascend first impressions. You did just that.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
What is this, the 1920's where the only things you can do is wear a bowler hat and stand in front of a podium pontificating on the evils of the games industry?

Congrats Jim on making it to 100 episodes, I'm one of those that was initially turned off by the show but then came back later when the subject matter interested me and now watch every week. Also, the Jimquistion helped me get into listening to Podtoid.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
I was one of those people that was a bit cynical at first. More from watching so many bad videos online. (And this site in fairness) But once I liked Jim I really liked him. Aside from his love of Deadly Premonition that won me over, he always seemed an honest and decent guy who never shits on a game for the hell of it and is passionate about games which means I trust his opinion. If Zero Punctuation is the balls and MovieBob is the brains. Then Jim is certainly the heart. Even when I disagree I always respect where he is coming from and it's usually a good place. Not a fanboy, not gushing but very happy for a guy who works hard and listens to feedback from people to do well. I have a lot of respect for that.