Jimquisition: Bullshit in Sheep's Clothing

Aitamen

Dec 6, 2011
at EA's bullshit line: "You don't demand offline in an MMO"

Er... Yes, yes I fucking do, douchebag, and in MORPGs as well (among others). It's why I run my own servers: Because Blizz and the rest don't boot people who've no business being there. Diablo 1&2 and PSO say hi, ************. Every private server group out there, be it keeping old games alive (Schthack shoutout!), keeping old patches/content as endgame (Older WoW private servers, for the "They changed it now it sucks, I'm going back to *my* game" crew), or anything else that players can't do in retail copies... yes, I do demand offline, and control of the content I'm paying for. And ya know what? So do many other groups, like the SC groups who want LAN support and clone support, like people who mod fighters to fix problems that the devs didn't (Brawl immediately comes to mind, and while I don't particularly think that the anti-roll-glitch CvSNK2 crowd had it right, I do think that modding the game to fix the problem is a very neat solution, because it creates a game for those who like it), and like people who just genuinely enjoy getting into the guys of their games.

Go fuck yourself, EA. You've been in the shit-book for entirely too long, considering how awesome you used to be, and you're not earning any points shitting where you eat.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
So if EA can change words and give them new definitions, I can too:

Piracy is just obtaining an "extended trial version", where gamers have the "option" to unlock the "ultimate edition" by being generous and pay for it.

Remember that Old EA sayin'

ConductorCat

Jan 17, 2009
I was a hater to start with. "Who is this man, with his fake, egotistical bullshit?", I thought.

Then I saw "Fight in the Name of Childishness" and I actually got it.

Since then, you've been one of my favourite shows. I think I actually like Jimquisition more than ZP these days.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
I remember wanting to give the show exactly 5 episodes before I gave up on it, and the 5th episode was the first one I liked. It just made it in terms of my viewership and now I look forward to it. It's nice when things work out that way. Congratulations on not going the way of Game Dogs.

Regless

Jul 28, 2012
LOL. So many people saying the same thing. Well I'm no different. My oppinion was initially a very hostile 'Who exactly does this arrogant jackass think he is?' and is now. 'Where would I be without this smashing young fellow?' Guess it goes to show if you improve and do good work eventually people will take note. Awesome show Jim, and killer suit.

Mikodite

Dec 8, 2010
mjc0961 said:
You're damn right SimCity is not an MMO and it's just more DRM. The sad part is that EA didn't even have to think this one up on their own, people were offering this defense on EA's behalf for them long before EA ever came right out and used it. I really don't get people sometimes, going so far out of their way to defend companies that don't care about their loyalty in any way and are only looking to fuck them up the bum as hard as possible.

Anyway, congrats on 100 episodes. Here's to 100 more!

Uriel-238 said:
This thing that Gibeau is saying does present some interesting legal implications. Here in the US the anti-circumvention clause of the DMCA makes it illegal for us to crack DRM even for non-infringing purposes. If Gibeau's statement is EA's official position, that the persistent-online-connection is not a DRM implementation, it may make it legal and acceptable for someone to mod Sim City by eliminating the always-online requirement and creating a localized game-save system.

Similarly, that may mean it's possible to bypass the payement parts of microtransactions and on-disc DLC, if those are retermed as features i.e. for the benefit of the user, and not DRM protected extras. In that case, it would be acceptable (even encouraged) to mod easy access on the basis that the user-experience is being improved.
Ooh, I like this idea. EA would either have to admit that it is intended as DRM (which we all know very well it is) in order to put up a legal fight against it, or be stuck on the receiving end of a buttfucking for a chance because they don't want even more bad PR from doing the former.
Would that mean that is it perfectly legal to crack Wow and make single-player mod? Cus I don't think you can legally do that, and World of Warcraft is a legitimate MMO

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
That "thank you" ending was god damn classy.

Again, I was one of those people that hated the first few episodes, but looks like you managed to tailor it to the kind of audience on the escapist.

That or we built up an immunity to it.

Darklupus

Mar 13, 2010
Congratulations, Jim, for the hundredth episode, improving the show, and improving yourself. I'm an avid watcher of your show and thank God for you! Have a glorious day!

Mikodite

Dec 8, 2010
Aitamen said:
at EA's bullshit line: "You don't demand offline in an MMO"

Er... Yes, yes I fucking do, douchebag, and in MORPGs as well (among others). It's why I run my own servers: Because Blizz and the rest don't boot people who've no business being there. Diablo 1&2 and PSO say hi, ************. Every private server group out there, be it keeping old games alive (Schthack shoutout!), keeping old patches/content as endgame (Older WoW private servers, for the "They changed it now it sucks, I'm going back to *my* game" crew), or anything else that players can't do in retail copies... yes, I do demand offline, and control of the content I'm paying for. And ya know what? So do many other groups, like the SC groups who want LAN support and clone support, like people who mod fighters to fix problems that the devs didn't (Brawl immediately comes to mind, and while I don't particularly think that the anti-roll-glitch CvSNK2 crowd had it right, I do think that modding the game to fix the problem is a very neat solution, because it creates a game for those who like it), and like people who just genuinely enjoy getting into the guys of their games.

Go fuck yourself, EA. You've been in the shit-book for entirely too long, considering how awesome you used to be, and you're not earning any points shitting where you eat.
Hold it... there are swarms of people that want to play World of Warcraft offline?

Look, its bullshit to call SimCity an MMO (the two Ms stand for "Massive" and "Multiplayer", conditions that SimCity does not satisfy). I also thought Blizzard doing its real money auction house experiment with Diablo was kinda dumb (again, Diablo is not Massive and Multiplayer) I also have no issues with the modding community or private servers for games like WoW.

Where I'm arguing is the idea that people would want to play a massive multiplayer online game offline. EA can say "You don't demand offline in an MMO" because no one demands offline in an MMO.

I know they were demanding it for Diablo 3, but Diablo 3 wasn't an MMO: it was multiplayer sure (optional, but it was there), but it wasn't massive (no sharded worlds and the like), and any connectivity required outside the multiplayer modes would not be necessary. There were no raids or houses, you are not sharing a world with other players, there are no guilds and wars etc. Therefore being forced to play the game online in single player is bullshit.

It also makes sense to demand offline mode in SimCity (ironically enough) for all the same reasons stated: while arguably it is a massive game with a lot going on under the hood, it is not a multiplayer game. Therefore calling it an MMO is bullshit trying to hide the fact they use DRM. Frankly it insults my intelligence that they would think this would work (or are gamers too stupid to know what 'MMO' even stands for?)

However, are there people who want to play Age or Conan or Tera offline? Really? I can see wanting private servers (so wannabe devs could mod the game for their friends and shit, I can totally see that, or if they feel the hired mods don't do a good enough job keeping jack-asses off the server), but an offline mod in World of Warcraft? Why would you want to play an honest-to-god MMO by yourself or in a lan-party situation? Doesn't it sound like its defeating the purpose of an MMO? It would be one of those moments that has me questioning whether I actually like what I'm playing.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Congrats on 100 episodes Jim!

Going to miss the Jesters of the Moon music, but that's okay. :p

Nocenious

Dec 4, 2011
Congrats on the 100th episode!
I wonder how many more "MMOs" EA are going to be making now.

Koshok

Jan 22, 2011
I freaking love Danny B. I'm so glad he gave you music to use.

I'm also one of those people who saw the first few episodes of Jimquisition and absolutely despised the fact that the Escapist even hosted the show. Several weeks later, I gave it another shot, and it has since grown to be one of my favorite weekly shows on the internet.

Thank you for the great series, Jim. And, thank god for Jim.

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
lol, went back to his first episode and rewatched, and asides from being just a little rougher around the edges in terms of presentation, I suspect it's less 'he was shit and now he's good' and more that he just grew on people.

((It was also very funny to see the facebook comments on the first video were people hating him and having stopped before even getting to the end, while the first comments in the forum thread were people liking him or being interested and waiting to see more XD

Made the facebook people just look like impolite dicks in comparison to the forum's civil response))

Triality

May 9, 2011
I first watched Jim and followed his hijinx starting with an episode of his "Videogame Show What I've Done." The Quake episode is suffocatingly hilarious as you will suffocate when you run out of air from laughing haha that is the joke.

Congratulations Jim. You've earned your keep and then some. Here's to the next 100.