Jimquisition: Bullshit in Sheep's Clothing

Dr.Panties

Dec 30, 2010
Started off wanting to lynch you, but now greatly appreciate these vids. Not enough to fellate you, though...I mean where would you even get such an idea? There are lines and one of them is called "integrity", and I'll be damned if-*MMMWWMMMPH-*.

linxcat

Jul 16, 2011
Loving the new Into/Outro Jim. It's much more punchy and professional sounding than previously. Keep up the good fight!

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
April Fools? Also, I like the "he's MovieBob, but shit" comment. :p

Wait... Danny Baranowsky? The guy who made the music for Super Meat Boy? I had no clue, that dude's music is epicly awesome!

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
Lovely Mixture said:
Roman Monaghan said:
Be careful, you might get reported for saying that. But believe me, I was gonna say the same thing.
Report away. I've made the observation that MovieBob is a terrible critic numerous times in his reviews and I'm sure I will again. He is a shitty critic. I'm sure he's a nice guy, and I wish him well personally, but his reviews are terrible, he gets too wrapped up on being critical of the major block busters for their problems in the nuts and bolts of cinema, while giving terrible movies a pass on those same problems because they appeal to his interests. He's essentially a movie hipster and I watch his reviews as a sort of anti recommendation. Not on the obvious stuff, You can usually call those from the previews. I was pretty sure I'd like Avengers, SuckerPunch or Lincoln before he reviewed them, just like I was pretty sure Battleship and Transformers 2 were going to be bad. But when a less hyped geek oriented movie comes out, if Bob likes it, I won't waste my money on it and if he hates it, I'm much more likely to go see it.

Here nor there though. We are allowed to comment on something stated in the video, even if it isn't very nice.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Congratulations on all your success! I wasn't interested when you started off either but you kept bringing up subjects I was interested in so I kept coming back. Now I look forward to your brand of justice every week.

So many people just rolled with what EA said without second guessing it and defending them with all the bullshit they could muster up. That's right, I got into arguments with people making up absolute crap for EA. Also, there are too many people that don't give a shit either way and many others that don't even bother researching before they buy games. Meanwhile these publishers/developers feel like they are against having more options (the future I was looking forward too) or against art in general since I can't believe how bland most games look. I wonder sometimes if it can really get worse.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Crono1973 said:
ARCTIC_EAGLE said:
I don't blame publishers/devs for the BS drm or other terrible "features" I blame consumers, if consumers actually cared publishers would stop. Look at SimCity, if everyone had demanded refunds and refused to rebuy it until EA added in offline play, fixed glaring issues, apologized, etc EA would have done it. But they were still able to sell 1.1 million copies so why should they care? Why should they care when they're going to make a lot more from DLC? Why should any publisher care what the consumer thinks if they're still making huge amounts of cash? The answer is they shouldn't and they won't, if consumers really do hate their practices then the consumers need to change which will force publishers to change.
Wait. So you blame consumers because consumers aren't blaming publishers...yet you too don't blame publishers.
S/he is correct though.
Most consumers are incredibly short-sighted in their purchasing habits; scarcely aware of the measures publishers take to exploit them. There is no feasible way for such business models to survive otherwise.

The only thing you can do is try to better educate yourself and others to be better shoppers.
And when educating others, you have to do so carefully; push too hard, and you come across as a fanatic spouting the tired "Stop liking what I don't like!" nonsense.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
jthm said:
Lovely Mixture said:
Roman Monaghan said:
Be careful, you might get reported for saying that. But believe me, I was gonna say the same thing.
Report away. I've made the observation that MovieBob is a terrible critic numerous times in his reviews and I'm sure I will again. He is a shitty critic. I'm sure he's a nice guy, and I wish him well personally, but his reviews are terrible, he gets too wrapped up on being critical of the major block busters for their problems in the nuts and bolts of cinema, while giving terrible movies a pass on those same problems because they appeal to his interests. He's essentially a movie hipster and I watch his reviews as a sort of anti recommendation. Not on the obvious stuff, You can usually call those from the previews. I was pretty sure I'd like Avengers, SuckerPunch or Lincoln before he reviewed them, just like I was pretty sure Battleship and Transformers 2 were going to be bad. But when a less hyped geek oriented movie comes out, if Bob likes it, I won't waste my money on it and if he hates it, I'm much more likely to go see it.

Here nor there though. We are allowed to comment on something stated in the video, even if it isn't very nice.
No I agree he's a terrible critic. And I have made criticism of him in the past with no issue.
But just recently I got warned once for saying something negative about him (that wasn't even slander) on grounds of "insulting contributors." In fact it was the first time I was reported in my two years on this website.

I have no interest in reporting people for spouting opinions.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I wasn't a fan at the beginning but you really brought me back in to this show after you changed the format to it (coming up with a title and video of edited stuff while you were talking), that really did it for me.

So congrats on 100vids Jim and now onto the next milestone!

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Atmos Duality said:
Crono1973 said:
ARCTIC_EAGLE said:
I don't blame publishers/devs for the BS drm or other terrible "features" I blame consumers, if consumers actually cared publishers would stop. Look at SimCity, if everyone had demanded refunds and refused to rebuy it until EA added in offline play, fixed glaring issues, apologized, etc EA would have done it. But they were still able to sell 1.1 million copies so why should they care? Why should they care when they're going to make a lot more from DLC? Why should any publisher care what the consumer thinks if they're still making huge amounts of cash? The answer is they shouldn't and they won't, if consumers really do hate their practices then the consumers need to change which will force publishers to change.
Wait. So you blame consumers because consumers aren't blaming publishers...yet you too don't blame publishers.
S/he is correct though.
Most consumers are incredibly short-sighted in their purchasing habits; scarcely aware of the measures publishers take to exploit them. There is no feasible way for such business models to survive otherwise.

The only thing you can do is try to better educate yourself and others to be better shoppers.
And when educating others, you have to do so carefully; push too hard, and you come across as a fanatic spouting the tired "Stop liking what I don't like!" nonsense.
So, corporations exploit consumers and consumers still buy their shit. Therefore consumers are to blame, alone.

Tell me again why the corporation isn't ALSO to blame for exploiting consumers?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Crono1973 said:
So, corporations exploit consumers and consumers still buy their shit. Therefore consumers are to blame, alone.

Tell me again why the corporation isn't ALSO to blame for exploiting consumers?
I didn't say consumers were alone in holding that blame, nor did I imply it.
(reading through the original post I defended again, I see that I misread it)
Of course both parties are at fault by simple cause and effect.

But that does not subtract from the fact that these exploitative business practices only work because enough consumers keep buying into it.

Companies like EA are going to keep pushing the envelope, and keep asking for more and more while offering less and less until the market slams the door in their face.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
Happy 100th to you, I've been a loyal watcher and enjoyed the gradual improvement - honestly, even the first few dreadful episodes were at least funny in their badness, if that makes any sense. You really had me at just using the FF IX music as much as you do - love that stuff, have the soundtrack on my iPod, write a bunch of papers for school to it, instant endearment.

Okay, I think I've written enough for this not to be a low content post now, so let me reiterate: Happy 100th, hope you get 100 more.

Disthron

Aug 19, 2009
Hi Jim, congratulations on 100 episodes. I have to say, I strongly disagreed with your first few episodes but I did pop in every once in a while and now I'm a regular watcher. Have a good one.

ManInRed

May 16, 2010
Those viewer comments at the beginning of the show sound like a fairly accurate summary of the response the show had, but my favorite comment I saw for your magnum opus, that sums up the entire show, is: "There's something horribly right about you."

You've given a hundred shows that have taken the tired video game topics and brought a new perspective that is often superior in its clarity, if lacking a bit of subtly. I'd be upset about there not being more, but I hate to demand so much of you that it marginalizes your quality. I cannot offer any advice, merely praise and the hope that you'll keep being brilliant, funny, and assisted by Willem Dafoe.

I don't care if Monday's blue, Sterling I thank God for you.

Defeated Detective

Sep 30, 2012
Congrats Jim, you deserve it. Along with Zero Punctuation and MovieBob(occasionally), Jimquisition is one of the three reasons why I'm here.

As for the topic at hand, the scary thing about Always Online DRM is that games are going to be tailored around the whole mechanic in the future. Along with the Auction house, We've seen how it ruined Diablo III since in order for the game benefit both features the most, they completely had to change the things that made D2 fun and exciting(the runeset system, diverse skill trees, unique PvP) into the system they have now.

If this whole practice is gonna persist, DRM will not only be the death knell of creativity in gaming(in order to make room for always online features and "season passes"), it will be the death knell of games as a whole.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
"The Titanic was an innovative submarine" Has me laughing pretty hard.
Also, great new look/music.
Cheers.