Jimquisition: Bullshit in Sheep's Clothing

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Thank you Jim for giving me an opportunity to knowingly nod in agreement at least once a week. It took me a while to get used to the persona, but I could never argue your arguments. Here's to a hundred more.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I've always loved co-op gaming, so all of this is especially painful to see happening
esp when local co-op gets cut

Titanic...innovative submarine indeed loll

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Congrats Jim. The Jimquisition is one of the shows I look forward to the most every week.

I too was one of those people who saw the first episode and just could not understand the humour and what had hit me.
To be honest I had never heard of Jim before that and didn't know or understand his brand of humour.
But as the show evolved I started to really like it and really appreciated the humour too.

Here's to a hundred more. Thank God for me and a little bit for Jim too, I 'spose.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, but whatever.

Jim is awesome, but his arrogance and "knowing assholishness" reminds me a lot of Rush Limbaugh. That's not necessarily a bad thing, regardless of how you feel about the guy. I'm just noting similar traits (which I am sure is an act on both of their parts).

johnzaku

Jun 16, 2009
I am one of those people who first watched, didn't care for it, and started back up again about a year ago. I admit I didn't HATE him, but I found him a tad too abrasive for my taste.

But then I saw his video Hardcore Hypocrisy and I thought: "that was a pretty good point... Maybe I should look at his stuff again. ... He says 'fuck' an awful lot. But makes pretty good points"

So to you Jim Sterling, I'd like to say, thank you for acknowledging myself and others like me. Thank god for me ;p

Sergey Sund

May 20, 2012
I'm diggin the gradualy more fashist style your show is taking on. First the Escapist - then the WORLD! (or course!)
So, Sim Shitty is turning more putrid every week now, is it?
I wasn't aware I was buying a service when buying a SimCity game. It was not marketed to me as an MMO.
That was a feature. As in - this is not a main-part of the game. As in - you can play the game disregarding this.
I'm sure the package says something about needing an online connection to play the game, but this whole MMO rethoric is a load of bull.
World of Warcraft was marketed to us as an MMO. Because teamplay is not only an integral part, but an essential part of how you experience the game. You can't play WoW without other people. It's literally impossible.
On the other hand, here is the SimCity series: A series that was for solo players for the longest time, for careful city builders and patient architects and god-players.
It was marketed to us as the NEXT SIMCITY (with new innovative features).
So, now it's an MMO? I didn't want to buy an MMO. I don't want to play with other people. And if that is still optional in the game - then why the fuck do I still have to be online to play?
And what about those innovative parts? Yahtzee highlighted that they took features out, made the game smaller, less complex and less fun.
"it plays and feels like an MMO"??? I be the fucking judge of that, you condescending pricks!
SimCity is nothing more to me than a lesser, graphic-ed up follower in the series with a tacked on, bullshitted DRM system and the inconvenience to install the Origin-platform:
An all-around shit experience, if you ask me.
So don't tell me I have to like it.

Roman Monaghan

Nov 20, 2010
Lovely Mixture said:
Roman Monaghan said:
Be careful, you might get reported for saying that. But believe me, I was gonna say the same thing.
I already got banned on an old account for saying it. Now I take it as a personal obligation to shout from the mountain tops that MovieBob is a black stain upon the internet the likes of which 4chan would be ashamed of.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Jimothy Sterling said:
Speaking out of character, I know full well the first few episodes were dreadful.

I thank everyone, sincerely, for giving it the extra chances it needed. :)
I genuinely loved the train wreck that was the first few episodes.

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure I defended them just because they were gloriously bad.

The kind of bad that is genuinely funny and enjoyable.

Then fairly fast they started getting good, then better, then really good and now I'm here because its one of the better game critic shows on the web.

Also because I appreciate anyone who appreciates Willem Dafoe.

Jacco said:
I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, but whatever.

Jim is awesome, but his arrogance and "knowing assholishness" reminds me a lot of Rush Limbaugh. That's not necessarily a bad thing, regardless of how you feel about the guy. I'm just noting similar traits (which I am sure is an act on both of their parts).
Jim is being ironic.

Limbaugh believes in himself fully.

Knowing the difference is important.

AusGamer44

Mar 24, 2011
Congrats,Jim-the show really has gone from strength to strength.I actually seek it out if I haven't watched it for a few weeks,which says something.
What made those early shows SO terrible were the excesses of the 'character' you created.God,I HATED that guy.For me,the strength of the show is your serious analysis of the issue at hand where you're more talking as yourself.You make some REALLY salient points.I think the best 'character' critics(Nostalgia Critic,Yahtzee etc),while speaking through snarkier,more outspoken personas,still have something at their core which draws from their real life characters..(e.g Nostalgia Chick makes fun of her own academic leanings by dialling it up a 1000 to make the character a huge pseudo-intellectual.)Your character was so OTT it was just unpleasant to watch.I still think this is still the weakest part of your show,but now at least it's dialled back to be more in line with the arguments you raise.
And as a female gamer,I LOVED your show on the lack of female protagonists.After that,you could do no wrong for me,;-)
Oh except for the David Cage thing.Don't. EVER. Do.that.again.:)

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Egotistical as always, good to see the character hasn't ch- you just thanked people?! Unsubscribed! >:U

OT: But no, it's been a good show and I like when video makers aren't afraid to call bullshit when they see it. And you & Yahtzee do that in spades, and for that we thank you.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I belong in the camp that hated Jimqusiiton when I first saw it because I thought that the host was a poor man's Moviebob. What I find odd about my change of opinion is I'm not sure why or how it changed. One day I watched an episode and didn't like it, another day I tried a different episode and end up thinking of Jimqusiiton as one of my favourite two shows of the escapist. I even went back to the episode that I didn't originally like and found myself enjoying it.

Ronin1325

Mar 11, 2012
I've been raving about software companies trying to take us back to the 1970's for a number of years now. It's great that Jim's picked up on them trying to change their product into a "service". Keep us paying forever, or at least until they shut the servers down, at which point we have nothing to show for all the money we poured into it. But it isn't just game companies trying to do this. Adobe's been telling Australians that they can stop getting price gouged by going on The Cloud-

http://www.dailytech.com/Update+Adobe+CEO+Dodges+Questions+on+Overpricing+in+Australia/article29902.htm

Nauseating. Heh, how long before physical product companies jump wholesale on this? You can't buy toilets anymore! Now you can only lease them & have to pay-per-flush. :p

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Roman Monaghan said:
Lovely Mixture said:
Roman Monaghan said:
Be careful, you might get reported for saying that. But believe me, I was gonna say the same thing.
I already got banned on an old account for saying it. Now I take it as a personal obligation to shout from the mountain tops that MovieBob is a black stain upon the internet the likes of which 4chan would be ashamed of.
I like your principles sir. You keep up the good work.

uanime5 said:
While there wasn't a demand for a real money auction house or an auction house in D3 both of these things existed unofficially in D2. So all Blizzard did was put these things in game to make them more accessible, rather than have players use trading which significantly increases the risk of being scammed.
Well I think the biggest question is why they couldn't have the Diablo II system where you had separate characters for online and offline.

Sure it would take more work, but given how much time people were waiting for Diablo III, I don't think they would mind

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
duchaked said:
I've always loved co-op gaming, so all of this is especially painful to see happening
esp when local co-op gets cut

Titanic...innovative submarine indeed loll
Thankfully, you can still splitscreen Ao2 TDC.

If you want to.

Which you shouldn't.

No, seriously.

As a fan of both co-op gaming and of the prior Army of Two games (Yes, we exist. There are 7 of us), this game is pretty dreadful.

But you can splitscreen it if you want.

If you want to.

Which...You get the point.

I'm legitimately curious now, though. Jim brings this up regarding Ao2: The Devil's Cardigan, but this argument is one I would think applied to Saints Row the Third as well. Did Jim ever address this? Saints Row 3 may not have had boost jumps and vague homosexual camaraderie (unless you play as a chick, because the Boss always hits on Shaundi), but it was heavily built around co-op and advertised as a co-op experience. Why only bring it up now?

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
To answer the Naruto question:

Army of Two was in the other room and I was too lazy to get it. I realized the case would look lame empty. A review copy of Naruto was right next to my desk. I made the executive call.
That removes my fears of it being in there to be a physical representation of the title.

Skoosh

Jun 19, 2009
One hundred episodes in and it's finally looking like a proper show! I was on of those people that criticized the first couple episodes, came back around 5 or 10 episodes in once you started improving and stayed watching ever since. You're one of the few people that actually reads the criticisms and fixed your problems. It wasn't great, but acceptable with good content. But now the backdrop and everything looks great! Got a consistent theme going throughout and it looks like it took more than an hour to make.

So yeah, look forward to the next 100 episodes. Sure, content gets a bit repetitive (EA!!!!) but it's important issues in the game industry, so I can forgive it, especially when it makes me laugh.

Mara Kalat

Dec 11, 2012
Congrats on the 100 episodes.
I've seen... maybe 7 of them or something.
Your show tires me at times, the bravado and overemphasized lines not adding strength but diluting the message.

However, (otherwise I'd have kept my opinion safely to myself)
I am glad you have a platform.
The things you say, and the force with which you say them are excellent.
I simply aren't particularly fond of the form that you choose for it.

Do we need voices representing gamers in telling developers and publishers what they should stop doing?
Yes, yes and hell yes.
You perform a service to all of us, both fans and haters of your show alike (I'd count myself among neither).
So thank you Jim. Please keep doing what you do, and don't listen to people that are annoyed by you and want you to go away (which, in fact, is partially me).

Is this a schizophrenic post? I hope not, I hope my point comes across.
Thank Christ you've found music other than Jesters of the Moon though.
Let's go for the 200!

Mara.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
Congratulations, Jim. The opening by Drill Queen always reminds me of that scary singer from Mad Max (Robina Chaffey, I just looked it up) whose only purpose in the film seemed to serve as an excuse for people to say "Well, at least the Goose Man got laid before all his skin got burned off."