Jimquisition: Changing A Game's Ending And Destroying Art

KrabbiPatty

Jan 16, 2008
There are like two "gaming journalists" I give a shit about: Jim Sterling is one, Angry Joe is the other.

I can appreciate that it perhaps took Jim a while to articulate an actual response, and that he's not ENTIRELY behind Retake Mass Effect. I can respect that. He's remained consistent throughout this, and while he probably doesn't agree wholeheartedly with the Retake movement he clearly DOES fully understand the point. Unlike some journalists, Jim Sterling and Angry Joe (and Shemus Young, if memory serves) are about the only ones who didn't completely flip out when all this happened...and I can see why, they're either established enough not to care if they look good in the eyes of "ART!" or just don't care period. A lot of gaming journalists just completely lost their minds when the community started speaking out, because they were afraid of being "embarrassed" or whatever.

So even though I doubt Jim Sterling will ever completely support Retake Mass Effect I do completely respect his opinions because, so far, he's one of the few who hasn't been a dishonest asshole or an insecure douche about it. So three cheers for Sterling.

Also not to sound like a hipster but I watched Jimquisition before it was cool.

RDubayoo

Sep 11, 2008
Comparing "fanatics" in the Retake ME3 movement to the Tea Party was ignorant and foolish, Jim. Not that I expect you to care, or to stop slandering the Tea Party, or to recognize that the real fanatics are your ideological cohorts in the Occupy movement, who leave cesspools wherever they go and like to use the White House for target practice. No, just keep shooting your mouth off like you actually know what you're talking about.

And yes, if I'm the only guy who calls Jim Sterling out for these snide and unnecessary little remarks, then by damn I'll do it.

DragonWright

May 25, 2009
One detail that occurs to me is, if they did remake the ending, it would not be the first time a video game has been remade. Hell, Capcom does it all the time.

Reeves88

Jul 4, 2009
ive got to say this bioware said they are not changing the ending, they are only going to release (free dlc) to help explain the endings better thats it they have said that they stand by there endings and its artisit state, they are just going to explain them better

Reeves88

Jul 4, 2009
sorry for the double post but before people bite my head off heres the qoute and the website so u can see for yourself
"Are there going to be more/different endings or ending DLCs in the future?
No. BioWare strongly believes in the team's artistic vision for the end of this arc of the Mass Effect franchise. The extended cut DLC will expand on the existing endings, but no further ending DLC is planned."

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mass-Effect-3/Mass-Effect-3-News-and-Announcements/Mass-Effect-3-Extended-Cut-11028404-1.html

tofulove

Sep 6, 2009
when jim started here, my thoughts were wtf am i watching, this guy is an annoying prick why am i wasting my time on this, to i think i want to kiss him, maybe more.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
For what it's worth Jim, whatever criticism you took really helped your show. I didn't care much for your show when I first watched it, but it has since changed to be one of my favorites on the Escapist. ggwp

Tohru_Readman

Sep 14, 2009
I completely agree with you Jim, not played the Mass Effect games myself but my fellow gamer friends where all left cold by the ending. Not matter which on they got.

BlackWolf100

Oct 15, 2010
When I brought Mass Effect3 last year, I finally finish the game on the 2th of January 2013. I would have done it sooner but I got down feeling when I got the quarians destroyed while I helped out legion getting the data from a reaper. It was only when I met someone from a comic book store in Liverpool England, who told me that I needed to finish the other side missions first, to have a better resolve option for the Quarians and the Geth.

I finally manage to see the ending and what do I think of it? Well...it?s not that bad or lest I didn?t see much problem of it. I can get how there are some situation with the mass relay, the not much effect from your choses in the game and some other details, but the rest I?m ok with. What I could say of it is it could of have a better closure in the end, seeing the other characters reflect after the battle. I even herd how some people said having shepherd relaxing at a beach with garrus looking at fallen reapers on the water seas.

The ending for shepherd left me teary a little but in a warm, comfort and good feeling inside, as it get me saluting him stopping the reapers as he went on with a grand heroic fashion.

So what I think the ending could have been is having your choses you made seen in the end or lest better closer while seeing what happened to your allies and friends after the battle.