Jimquisition: Dead Space - The Best New IP This Generation?

Cry Wolf

Oct 13, 2010
Jbowdown said:
Cry Wolf said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
Cry Wolf said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
Dead Space - The Best New IP This Generation? This week Jim proves his love for the often maligned Dead Space franchise. Watch Video
I'm not exaggerating in the slightest when I say this; you just sold a copy of at least the first Dead Space to me (and likely the second if it's a reasonable price). That is pretty impressive, I don't think I've ever bought a game because somebody on the internet has told me it was good (and more to the point, why it was good). I've certainly looked into games on recommendation - but I'm going all the way and buying it.
If you're buying it on PC be warned, it's possibly one of the worst ports i've ever encountered.
Assuming it doesn't crash on me, the FPS is terrible, it has awful mouse acceleration, it has bad screen tear and if you turn on the V-sync it basically breaks the game.

OT: This video makes me sad. I really would love to play DS but the problems I mentioned above basically mean I can't.
Well, thats a fucking downer. My place recently got a PS3, so I suppose I could grab it for that - but I've been hesitant to buy games for a shared console. Still, if it's half as good as it was made out to be I wont regret it. I wish PC ports weren't typically half-arsed. =/
I wouldn't sweat buying it for the PC. I have the Steam version and my rig didn't generally have any of the issues that Ilikemilkshake had. But I can't deny that the problems don't exist for various users, because every rig is different (both in hardware and actively running software). The mouse didn't bother me since I did play it with a XBox controller for the 'console' feel. It's my personal preference, but many of these types of single player games I prefer to sit back with a controller vs. leaning over my keyboard.
Yeah, I too keep an Xbox Controller for games where I don't need or want the precision of the mouse an keyboard (I'm actually a big fan of varying my input device to the game, with a force-feedback wheel and pedals, a HOTAS Joystick with detachable throttle currently). Even assuming I wanted to use a mouse for Dead Space, it's not really that hard to overcome mouse acceleration problems. What will bother me, however, is all the little details in bad ports that I'm compelled to try and fix. I end up spending as much time playing the game as I do tweaking it. =/

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I, for one, am glad to see "immersive" become gauche. Not that it didn't have its place, but like "innovation," "immersion" as a concept has been watered down to be utterly freaking meaningless. It's weird, then, that Jim is using IP in much the same way.

However, Jim's rationale did intrigue me, to the point I've wishlisted DS1 on Steam so I can snag it once I actually get a new video card (Damn, is Dead Space rather expensive to pick up on consoles now).

Of course, the point remains: you cannot have immersion if your game is not an FPS. Preferably a brown one with a cover system.

wolfyrik

Jun 18, 2012
Lawnmooer said:
I must admit, I never really got into Dead Space...

I played the first one, I found it alright to be honest, not great and not terrible...

My issue is that the "Horror" is mostly jump scares and attempts to make you panic through overwhelming, but none of that phased me... Jumps scares are terrible (Even more so when you can spot which vents things are going to pop out from a mile away) and I never really feared becoming overwhelmed due to the gun you starting with being so powerful (Out of all the weapons I tried, that first one was far superior with its capacity to take off limbs and the amount of ammo you'd get for it, especially if you didn't buy any new weapons)

The only part that really caused tension for me is when that unkillable beast was released whom could block off sections and could also enter the "Safe" zones... But that one part trying to bring in tension for an entire game?

I suppose if DS2 and DS3 go further away from the "Horror" and focus more on a "Survival Shooter" then it could be pretty good (Though I'm not sure if that genre is my cup of tea to be honest)
Pretty much this. I thought Dead Space was going to be a great choice for me, for all of the reasons Jim describes. Frankly, I just could not get into it for the same reasons you describe.
I felt the combat was clunky, repetetive. There was no real reason to upgrade more than a few options on the suit or the main weapon, and even then there was nothing great about the upgrades. Just stat stacking. I really disliked the camera and third person view though. I found there were just too many occasions when the overly huge body of Isaac, was just in the way, too close to the camera. When the camera wasn't being pretty terrible in of itself, ofcourse. It pretty much killed immersion for me and thus the horror. I never played it through to the end, maybe that's my problem. It's not that I chose to stop playing either. I just had no reason to pick it up again.

Shame really.

minimacker

Apr 20, 2010
Nyeh... I'm going to disagree with Jim. Dead Space is a pretty lack-luster series when you count all the pieces in. At least compared to other games of our generation. The scares in Dead Space are almost complete jokes. They were predictable as all hell and never had me waiting for them. So is that it? Is the franchise of the decade composed of nothing more than unscary jump scares?

Compare it to such games as Mass Effect and Bioshock, which *really* fleshed out the world they're set in. You WANTED to learn more about their world and what makes it tick. Dead Space has a few good niches, such as the armor HUD. But as a franchise and "the best intellectual property"? HA!

Jbowdown

Feb 19, 2011
Cry Wolf said:
Jbowdown said:
Cry Wolf said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
Cry Wolf said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
Dead Space - The Best New IP This Generation? This week Jim proves his love for the often maligned Dead Space franchise. Watch Video
I'm not exaggerating in the slightest when I say this; you just sold a copy of at least the first Dead Space to me (and likely the second if it's a reasonable price). That is pretty impressive, I don't think I've ever bought a game because somebody on the internet has told me it was good (and more to the point, why it was good). I've certainly looked into games on recommendation - but I'm going all the way and buying it.
If you're buying it on PC be warned, it's possibly one of the worst ports i've ever encountered.
Assuming it doesn't crash on me, the FPS is terrible, it has awful mouse acceleration, it has bad screen tear and if you turn on the V-sync it basically breaks the game.

OT: This video makes me sad. I really would love to play DS but the problems I mentioned above basically mean I can't.
Well, thats a fucking downer. My place recently got a PS3, so I suppose I could grab it for that - but I've been hesitant to buy games for a shared console. Still, if it's half as good as it was made out to be I wont regret it. I wish PC ports weren't typically half-arsed. =/
I wouldn't sweat buying it for the PC. I have the Steam version and my rig didn't generally have any of the issues that Ilikemilkshake had. But I can't deny that the problems don't exist for various users, because every rig is different (both in hardware and actively running software). The mouse didn't bother me since I did play it with a XBox controller for the 'console' feel. It's my personal preference, but many of these types of single player games I prefer to sit back with a controller vs. leaning over my keyboard.
Yeah, I too keep an Xbox Controller for games where I don't need or want the precision of the mouse an keyboard (I'm actually a big fan of varying my input device to the game, with a force-feedback wheel and pedals, a HOTAS Joystick with detachable throttle currently). Even assuming I wanted to use a mouse for Dead Space, it's not really that hard to overcome mouse acceleration problems. What will bother me, however, is all the little details in bad ports that I'm compelled to try and fix. I end up spending as much time playing the game as I do tweaking it. =/
I'm right there with you! I think the worst port I've started playing recently was Darksiders 2. Even playing it with a controller, you can just tell that bringing it to the PC was just an afterthought for the dev. Although, many 'ports' or multi-platform games are developed quite well for the PC, if given the time and the resources.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
inFamous
Dragon Age
Mass Effect

All new IP's that immediately come to mind as far superior to Dead Space.
It's personal preference of course.

Dead Space for me felt like Resident Evil back in the day.
Terrible clunky controls with a good creepy atmosphere being forced upon you because of said controls.
Combat felt different and unique but really got tiresome after a while. Stomping is fun, but not 10 hours of fun.

It's a memorable experience like Bioshock, but it's not a memorable experience I want to revisit over and over like the 3 games listed above.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I suppose the best you can do is hope the game sells well, but the DLC and micro-transactions flop. We're getting closer and closer to Riccitello's fabled world where you have to buy every bullet you fire :(

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
Huh, I had stayed away from Dead Space partly because of poo-pooing from Jim and Yahtzee (though mostly because the ratio of recommended games to my own free time has been skyrocketing), but now I'm interested in giving the shot a shot. At least getting the first game, since it's probably pretty cheap by now.

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
Yosharian said:
Best new IP this gen is Portal
Yep. You are correct, good sir/lady. Portal 1 was a brilliant, but short game, and 2 was improved in every possible way, from the length to the story to the level design. There's nothing to criticize, which is unusual for a Valve game.

Bayushi_Kouya

Mar 31, 2009
I played Dead Space. Some of it, not all, just because it's so damn boring. Enter new room, check the corners, shoot everything since you're wielding a gigantic toolshed of rocket-powered chainsaws and lawnmower blades, then carefully sweep the rooms interior for items, then fail to be shocked when new monsters spawn. It's not dangerous, or difficult, or at all scary. I think it's laudable just how much of the hud was worked into the rig, and about the empowerment fantasy of Isaac (see Yahtzee's video for that), but making bodyhorror monsters from outerspace boring is fairly impressive in and of itself. Remarkable, yes, best, not by a long shot.

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
I do like Dead Space, but I just can't support the buisness side of Dead Space 3. I just hate the idea that I'll have to (I know it's optional, by the way, before anyone rips on my word choice) pay actual money after paying sixtey dollars for the brand new game. I just can't get this one.

I do hope that it at least does okay enough for EA to keep around afterward...but that's just kidding myself. You might as well say goodbye Jim.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Quick Question: Was the bucket one of those reviewer goodies publishers send you in exchange for reviewing your game?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Did EA send hitmen after Jim for doing that Jimquisition on the microtransactions? Is the bucket really just hiding an explosive collar they fitted around his neck until he did a follow up like this?

I wouldn't say DS is pedestrian but I wouldn't say it's the best new IP this gen. When originality is taken into consideration, I would have to say Valkyria Chronicles is the most interesting new IP this gen. When it comes to value & fun, I would have to say Borderlands.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
What can I say about a video that is just nothing more than:

"I like the game here is why!"

Why would I go into debate about it's merits or flaws when all I really have to do is this.

"I don't like the game and will not be buying it."

I could make a video saying that I thought Mindjack was the best new IP for this generation and it would be equally valid for the same reasons. In that it is an expressed opinion about the quality of a certain product. Now if more had been offered than just "I like the game here is why." there could have been a discussion.

Possibly about the love of a game being in direct contrast with the hate for the publisher or the business practices that it pulls. Why still buying this game rather than boycotting it for the greater good is the right way to go. Whether you could justify to yourself the consequences of supporting something you like despite the damage it might do in the end. You could even have addressed the tonal shift throughout the series and how it might have started of as a mix of horror and action, with an over-reliance on jump scares, into a more broader less horror heavy genre. Example given is adding COOP which is Horrors Achilles heel.

That is a subject worth addressing and talking about whilst dressed up as the low tech version of Isaac Clarke.

"I like the game here is why" is not, because the only response to that is "Well here is my opinion".

ex275w

Mar 27, 2012
Batman: Arkham Series, Bioshock, No More Heroes, Phoenix Wright, and Professor Layton I think are the best IPs this gen. Nice stories, memorable moments, great characters, fine gameplay, interesting artistic styles.

The problem with Dead Space is that I always feel like I'm playing a worse version of Resident Evil 4 in almost all aspects, I don't like the shooting as much, it isn't as scary, it lacks a mercenaries mode, the story in Dead Space I guess is better, but it's not as funny as Resi 4.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Dammit Jim why'd you have to go and get me interested in the getting 3?

One question though is the single player story mode any good?

does it wrap up the DS story-line? or is there room for a 4 at the end?

And can you get by with the classic guns from earlier installments like the Plasma cutter and the line cutter or do you have to grind mats for the new crafting weapons?

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
lotanerve said:
I'm curious about this new "Dead Spice" game too
I hear Isaac gets to *cough* "ride the worm" in the new one.

GonzoGamer said:
When originality is taken into consideration, I would have to say Valkyria Chronicles is the most interesting new IP this gen. When it comes to value & fun, I would have to say Borderlands.
Valkyria Chronicles suffered from its tendency towards trial-and-error gameplay, which in my mind killed a lot of strategy experience. And while the world was kind of a cliche storm, I liked the aesthetic. It had potential, but failed to deliver. I've only played the first one though, can't comment on the later ones. Oh yeah, and migrating the series to handheld exclusive was also a bad move.