Jimquisition: Dead Space - The Best New IP This Generation?

CalUKGR

Dec 9, 2012
For the record, Jim: you're quite right about the Dead Space series. I also consider these games the best IP to come out this generation. I've played the Dead Space games on 360, PC and I enjoyed the Wii game, too. It grieves me that EA continue to act like morons with respect to this IP - for instance, by all accounts we PC users will have to accept the port of the console game (more or less) as it is (not even a high-res texture pack to cheer us up, meh) and of course there's the wretched business of nickle-and-diming us for day one DLC. Just why do EA appear to treat the Dead Space series with such consistent contempt? Is it because it's not a CoD-alike?

I still consider the original Dead Space a minor gaming miracle, given all the forces ranged against it ever being made at all. Perhaps it's the fact that it continues to resonate that irritates EA quite so much. Who knows?

ex275w

Mar 27, 2012
Ilikemilkshake said:
Cry Wolf said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
Dead Space - The Best New IP This Generation? This week Jim proves his love for the often maligned Dead Space franchise. Watch Video
I'm not exaggerating in the slightest when I say this; you just sold a copy of at least the first Dead Space to me (and likely the second if it's a reasonable price). That is pretty impressive, I don't think I've ever bought a game because somebody on the internet has told me it was good (and more to the point, why it was good). I've certainly looked into games on recommendation - but I'm going all the way and buying it.
If you're buying it on PC be warned, it's possibly one of the worst ports i've ever encountered.
Assuming it doesn't crash on me, the FPS is terrible, it has awful mouse acceleration, it has bad screen tear and if you turn on the V-sync it basically breaks the game.

OT: This video makes me sad. I really would love to play DS but the problems I mentioned above basically mean I can't.
Must be why I had to use an effing controller, I could barely control the menu with the mouse, but I had to use one for the shooting meteors parts since the controllers in that part were broken. Resi 4 at least let's you hide Ashley in dumpsters

MaxwellMouse

Jun 7, 2010
I don't agreed with that sentiment but you have a good argument and I enjoyed hearing your passion for the series. I would say that the Souls series is the best new IP this gen. I am not counting games without a sequel.

Mortamus

The Talking Dead
May 18, 2012
I absolutely love this series, especially the way they did the atmosphere and ensured that accessing menus would not pull you out of the game. The story is also one of those ones I found so immersive that I took the time to seek out the comics and both movies just to fill in the rest of the story.

That being said, I really feel the EA touch of "You've gone 5 minutes without shooting something. Time to fight a horde of enemies!" that really started to show up halfway through Dead Space 2 just really turned the series off for me. It stopped being shocking even and I found it more of an annoyance to yank me out of the atmosphere as I was more focused on killing wave after wave of enemies rather than immersing myself in the game.

I'm hoping Dead Space 3 changes that, as I truly loved this series, and feel a certain emptiness since I've lost my urge to experience it.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Cry Wolf said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
Dead Space - The Best New IP This Generation? This week Jim proves his love for the often maligned Dead Space franchise. Watch Video
I'm not exaggerating in the slightest when I say this; you just sold a copy of at least the first Dead Space to me (and likely the second if it's a reasonable price). That is pretty impressive, I don't think I've ever bought a game because somebody on the internet has told me it was good (and more to the point, why it was good). I've certainly looked into games on recommendation - but I'm going all the way and buying it.
I hope your experience is better than mine was.

I finished it on the sole hope that it would "get better". I kept waiting for that moment and then the ending hit.

It's not bad, I was just expecting too much from it I guess.

So go in with low expectations and you'll be fine.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Did you seriously take a jab at a game that's over 10 years old in order to praise something that a game of only a few years is doing? Don't get me wrong, I love how the inventory system in Dead Space works, but why does that call for a potshot at Half Life?

alfawx

Nov 1, 2010
Lucky Godzilla said:
Also love the hud, just everything about it. My only gripe is how the dynamic laser sight of dead space 1 was removed in two and three.
I'm pretty sure that you can switch it back to the dynamic laser if you go into the settings on the pause screen. (At least on the 360 you can.) It's listed as "classic aiming" or something. Also, great as ever Jim! Hooray for Dead Space!

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Dead Space was good. I liked the first one and second one about the same, but best IP this generation? Nah.

That has to go to Bioshock, and I'm happy Jim mentioned bioshock in the video.

I feel bad for all the Dead Space fans though, I really hope things don't spiral out of control too fast, but I know better. EA destroys all.

Anyway, good video Jim. I hope you and everyone else getting this game has a good time with it.

alexbuckenham

Bilious tosspot
Mar 10, 2011
A compelling case for Dead Space but I'm not entirely moved to change my opinion and the micro-transactions have shown that however good the dev may be, when EA are the publisher you're gonna have issues of the consumer-spanking variety

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Yeah i'm going to have to disagree here. Yes, Dead Space managed to make the transitions between story and gameplay smoother, but that only does so much. The story itself was pretty uninteresting, and the jump scares just ruined the atmosphere for me. I liked how the shooting controlled, but it got pretty boring after a while. I rented 1 and 2 but i never really got around to finishing them, which is weird. I usually finish my games.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Cry Wolf said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
Cry Wolf said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
If you're buying it on PC be warned, it's possibly one of the worst ports i've ever encountered.
Assuming it doesn't crash on me, the FPS is terrible, it has awful mouse acceleration, it has bad screen tear and if you turn on the V-sync it basically breaks the game.

OT: This video makes me sad. I really would love to play DS but the problems I mentioned above basically mean I can't.
Well, thats a fucking downer. My place recently got a PS3, so I suppose I could grab it for that - but I've been hesitant to buy games for a shared console. Still, if it's half as good as it was made out to be I wont regret it. I wish PC ports weren't typically half-arsed. =/
Wow, that is the most exaggerated crap I have ever heard, the port isn't anywhere as bad as that guys says it is the game is perfectly playable as long as you don't turn on vsync. The screen tearing problem is as easy a solution as it always is, force vsync through the video card, case close, problem solved game works fine. Seriously this guy is trolling, the game is perfectly playable on PC and I have played through the game at least 5 times with no problems.

Aug 1, 2010
Jim, I accept what your saying. Narrative wise, it's brilliant.

It's all the other stuff that fails.

Playing the games, I was utterly uninterested in the story and characters. Isaac is more lifeless than the xenomorphs.

Similarly, the environments leave a lot to be desired with their endless procession of poorly lit hallways.

And finally, it isn't scary. At all. In any way. Even the jumpscares stop being startling after the first hour.
I never felt this panic you talk about because I'm loaded for fucking war.

Decent enough games. Not the best new IP by a long shot.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Oh man this thread is going to be troll central for not just Dead Space haters but EA haters as well, Jim opened a can of worms with this one. I personally list Dead Space in the top 3 best IPs this generation and agree with Jim wholeheartedly, the idea of putting the entire interface on the rig of Isaac's suit still blows me away because it helps so much with the immersion that this game has. Overall I still consider Mass Effect to be my favorite IP of the this generation.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Dead Space, to me, is an almost brilliant series, and one where the developers don't quite ever manage to focus on the best elements.

The first game is clearly a giant sloppy drooling fan remake of System Shock 2, and that's no bad thing. However, there are a number of design decision problems that stop it from being quite there. First off, the weapons. Sure, there's a wide variety of them and they're reasonably meaty and satisfying to use, and the fact that Isaac is slow and severing limbs is the new headshot makes the game tense and shapes the combat and makes it about managing threat, chopping legs to slow down horrible space wotsits and running around to avoid being hurt. But not only do you not need the weapons ever because the Plasma Cutter does everything, it's actually bad to carry more than the Plasma Cutter, because the game (almost) only gives you ammo for weapons you're actually carrying. Only carry the Plasma Cutter, only get plasma ammo, oh wait the resource management element of survival horror has just disappeared out the window. Also you can focus your power nodes on only upgrading the Plasma Cutter, so it's more useful, versatile, and efficient.

Likewise, the story, there's very little focus on Isaac's story throughout the game, even though the basis of it (he knows from the start that something bad is happening on the Ishimura, and he knows Nicole is dead but is in denial (yeah, spoilers, the game's a million years old get with the times). There's a fair bit of story potential in there, but it's not strongly realised and the game is mostly too busy with space scientologists to exploit the part that could have been good.

Dead Space could have been the new Silent Hill 2, but it wasn't.

Dead Space 2 upped the combat ante a little with some fun new enemies (though twitchers are gone and only in the DLC), but since Isaac is sprightlier now it feels mostly a little easier (and now you can justify two weapons, the Plasma Cutter and the Patrol Rifle, but you don't need any others... Also, the game became a corridor, to the great detriment of the suspense, DS1 had the old System Shock structure where you were relatively free to wander the current level and there were two or three things you could approach in any order. That's good for a survival game, it means that the player feels like they are choosing the risks to take themselves, even if they actually have to go everywhere anyway, if you go to objective A and something horrible is there, it feels like it was your fault for going there. It also makes the setting feel more like an actual place which you become gradually familiar with.

So, yeah, the first one had a lot more promise than the second delivered on, even though the second is still a good game, and it's not the best new IP of this generation because it's not called Bayonetta.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Well put, Jim. I never really got into Dead Space based on what Yahtzee said about it. It's passable and servicable, but nothing genre-changing or truly mind blowing. The things you said about Clarke being characterized must have been from the 2nd game, because he didn't talk or remove his helmet in the first.
In my opinion, the best IP of this generation is Assassin's Creed.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
I don't know about the best new IP, but I do love Dead Space. It is a pretty solid action-horror series, the RIG is awesome, the combat is scary but satisfying, the world is interesting, and the designs of the Necromorphs and the technology is really cool. I'm still conflicted about getting 3 though. One one hand, I love the franchise, the developers are pretty good, and I like the weapon-building system, but on the other hand, I don't want to give any money to EA...

lord canti

May 30, 2009
Oh no Jim is praising a game series by EA that can only mean he is a sell out and couldn't possibly be his actual opinion.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Yosharian said:
TheRussian said:
Yosharian said:
Best new IP this gen is Portal
Yep. You are correct, good sir/lady. Portal 1 was a brilliant, but short game, and 2 was improved in every possible way, from the length to the story to the level design. There's nothing to criticize, which is unusual for a Valve game.
Yeah apart from Wheatley being a bit irritating...

Some aspects of Portal 2 are just amazing. It's the subtle things that get me. For example, the way the music that the environment 'gives off' so to speak works as ambient AND soundtrack.
Bunch of Ninjas around here. Yeah I do feel the same way. It is better just by the fact that it stands out the most by gameplay, story and characters. There is just nothing like it out there.

Are there any other AAA puzzle titles out there?