Jimquisition: Dead Space - The Best New IP This Generation?

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
MaxwellMouse said:
I don't agreed with that sentiment but you have a good argument and I enjoyed hearing your passion for the series. I would say that the Souls series is the best new IP this gen. I am not counting games without a sequel.
I'll second this notion, it may not be the prettiest out there but the Souls series is far and above the best I've played this generation.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
MegaSuperUberMe said:
Dead Space, a horror game? Hahahaha, next thing you tell me that the residentevil movies are pure horror, eh Jim?
Interesting how you added "pure" horror to the RE movies, but not Dead Space. That basically set me up to talk about how nobody say "pure" anything with regards to the former.

When you telegraph your own argumentative flaw, it becomes too easy for me.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
MegaSuperUberMe said:
Dead Space, a horror game? Hahahaha, next thing you tell me that the residentevil movies are pure horror, eh Jim?
Breaking News! Dead Space IS a horror game! In fact, it's a GREAT horror game!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOoTXwdaPY

But, beyond that, I think there's something I need to clarify.

I can successfully separate the cold, calculated business side of Dead Space from the imaginative, passionate developer side, and I ADORE Dead Space for being very forward thinking, expertly crafted, and a textbook example of stellar audio, lighting, and atmosphere.

While some bemoan the "jump scares" (either as "too scary" or "predictable), I struggle to see how that in any way, shape, or form detracts from the core game. Resident Evil has them. Silent Hill has them. Nearly every great horror movie ever made has them. But when you strip away the jump scares, is there still a great game there? Considering how much I loved the combat, loved the zero-G portions, loved the puzzles, loved the lore and stories, loved the setting, loved the monster designs, loved the audio and voice acting, loved the epic boss battles, loved the psychological player manipulations, loved the weapons, loved the HUD-less and immersive presentation, loved the RIG suits, loved the characters, and loved the games overall, I say "absolutely".

Every game has its faults. Every game does. Many on the business side. But Batman: Arkham City can be a great game despite cutting the Catwoman content out as DLC. Elder Scrolls will never live down its "horse armor", yet it's still a great game. Mortal Kombat has that bloody online pass and retailer-exclusive DLC, but it's my favorite fighting game this generation. Metroid Prime Trilogy has a multiplayer mode I'll never touch, yet the game collection is without peer. Dragon Age: Origins literally had a salesman yelling about DLC quests you could buy with real money, yet DA:O remains one of the best RPGs this generation.

Dead Space isn't immune to some bad decisions, but overwhelmingly exceeds where it matters. It has overcome its problems to remain excellent, and no amount of cheat DLC in DS1, multiplayer in DS2, microtransactions in DS iOS, or co-op in DS: Extraction has deterred me. The games remain great. I have no idea why people can't accept that you can love and adore a game yet still hate single aspects of it without determining that the entire game is garbage. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
I suppose this is in the end just personal taste video, because every point in which Dead Space apparenly succeeds I've seen done just as good or better in dozens of other games.
I say this with no sarcasm or malice: what are some of those games? I ask because I love Dead Space and if there is a game that is similar but better I would love to play it. More games need to marry the RE4 style combat with actual decent controls.

OT: Gald to see there is someone else on this site who loves DS as much as I do. I must have beaten DS2 around 7 times across different combinations of NG+ and difficulty. As for DS3 I will support the game by buying it and and show my lack of support for the microtrasactions by simply not using them. Also gotta love all the whiners calling Jim a sellout now, its like some people have their ability to think logically go out the window as soon as you mention EA.

romanator0

Jun 3, 2011
If the demo for DS3 is anything to go by then Dead Space no longer knows it's a game and now thinks it's a movie. The amount of times control was taken away from the character so the camera could focus on a big necromorph that goes "ooh look at me I'm scary" instead of attacking the character was annoying and shallow.

Mike the Bard

Jan 25, 2010
I always loved the dead space universe. I personally never found the games scary, but i still love the series and admire the developers in creating a atmosphere that oozes "this place will try and kill you at every turn."

I'm still out on whether or not I should get dead space 3, you talk about it makes me inclined to get it to see if it is still up to snuff. But if i do, there is no way i would ever even consider doing any of that micro-transaction BS EA is trying to get away with.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Sseth said:
Looks like it's true; every man has his price.

That was a great commercial, when's the next Jimquisition though?
Exactly what I was wondering. How much did EA pay for this plug? Did you collaborate with their marketing department to write the script, or did they just send it to you and you recorded it?

I understand that all things are subjective, but seriously; this monologue is so removed from what the game actually gives us that it's hard to imagine that there wasn't a price tag attached to it. There's reviews, and then there's advertisements. This is almost certainly the second.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
It isn't survival horror, or even remotely horror. It's "OH LOOK, A SCARY THING IN A CUPBOARD! HERE IT IS JUMPING OUT AT YOU!"

Dishonored is the best new IP of this generation XD

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
I too love the Dead Space games but I can't play the third because of Origin. I simply will not inflict malware on my computer like that. =\

Superbun

Sep 8, 2010
I'm not really a fan of the horror genre in any medium, so I'm probably not the best person to judge, but here's my two cents:

I've been sort-of watching the Dead Space franchise with a sense of passive disinterest for a while now, a feeling that can be summarised as "That's an interesting little game that does a few unique things and has a cult following, but it's not really my kind of thing" and I've also watched with mild displeasure as the sequels seemed to drift away from horror towards straight-up action.

For me, without a shadow of a doubt the best new IP of this generation has to go to Mass Effect. First thought on anyone's mind as soon as Mass Effect is brought up is the ending controversy, which the Extended Cut DLC nicely solved IMHO, but just the sheer fact that that the endings caused such massive, universal fan outcry across the entire gaming community shows how universally loved the franchise is, think about it, just how many moments and choices are ingrained into our collective gaming psyches, Ashley or Kaiden, who did you leave behind? Who died on your first run of The Collector Base? The death of Mordin Solus, these are just a few that I can think of off the top of my head. The Mass Effect franchise contains one of the most well-crafted Sci-Fi universes in gaming, populated with some of gaming's most well-loved characters.
While this may sound like another over-blown love-letter to an EA franchise, I'm don't think the games are without criticism, ME1 falls signifcantly short of its successsors in terms of gameplay and graphics, And I still think the shift to Thermal Clips in ME2&3 was a dumb move.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Dead Space is an amazing IP, one which I have come to love very dearly, and it makes me sad that EA isn't willing to continue to support it unless this game sells 5 million. I mean... Jesus, that's setting the bar a little high considering this game has less than half the marketing of the second one. *sigh*

Edl01

Apr 11, 2012
My experience with deadspace -
-Buys game
-Plays 6 hours
-Goes back the next day and finds that my save game has suddenly dissapeared
-Rages
-Starts new game
-Plays back up to the point that I quit the first time
-Goes back a week later to find my save has dissapeared on my again
-Trades game in.

Infamous is by far my favorite new IP of this generation.

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
Very well laid out case, but strictly in terms of IP and the game universe, I'd say that Mass Effect is the best of this generation, I'm kind of inclined to say in all of gaming but that's quite ambitious and I'm sure there's something out there that I can't think of right now that would give it a run for its money.

Superbun

Sep 8, 2010
Edl01 said:
My experience with deadspace -
-Buys game
-Plays 6 hours
-Goes back the next day and finds that my save game has suddenly dissapeared
-Rages
-Starts new game
-Plays back up to the point that I quit the first time
-Goes back a week later to find my save has dissapeared on my again
-Trades game in.

Infamous is by far my favorite new IP of this generation.
"I had a bad experience with this game, therefore it sucks" - You, Just then

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Success of the core game will serve as a justification of the shady practices.