Jimquisition: Dead Space - The Best New IP This Generation?

Edl01

Apr 11, 2012
Superbun said:
Edl01 said:
My experience with deadspace -
-Buys game
-Plays 6 hours
-Goes back the next day and finds that my save game has suddenly dissapeared
-Rages
-Starts new game
-Plays back up to the point that I quit the first time
-Goes back a week later to find my save has dissapeared on my again
-Trades game in.

Infamous is by far my favorite new IP of this generation.
"I had a bad experience with this game, therefore it sucks" - You, Just then
I would like you to please point out where I said it sucks. I simply pointed out that I had a bad experience with the game and as such did not play it.
In fact the claim that I was willing to play it a second time after my first save file was deleted suggests that I quite liked the game.

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
Monster closets and jump scares...

Actually, I like DS. It's a great IP. It's just not as great as...

Uncharted
Mass Effect
Dragon Age
Bioshock
Assassin's Creed
Batman: Arkham series
Resistance
Demon/Dark Souls
Portal
Little Big Planet
Rockband

All of those come to mind before Dead Space. Now, some of those franchises might have had a shitty game sandwiched between better games in the franchise but we're talking about the IP and not the franchise, so DAO is better than DS. Dead Space 3 would have to have a tiny head giving midget hop out of the case and take care of things for me to ignore Mass Effect or Uncharted.

Lastly, the gen isn't done. If the rest of The Last of Us looks is as outstanding as the first 30 mins, then it might end up king of this gen...or at the very least, make Dead Space obsolete.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
bringer of illumination said:
This is one reason I cannot have the least bit of respect for Visceral

They have out-right STATED that they don't give a shit about the PC ports and that they ACTIVELY neuter them because they don't want any one platform (The PC) to have a "superior experience"

It's a load of fucking crap
Or they can't be arsed to cater to PC fatties who will just pirate the game anyway?

ResonanceSD said:
It isn't survival horror, or even remotely horror. It's "OH LOOK, A SCARY THING IN A CUPBOARD! HERE IT IS JUMPING OUT AT YOU!"

Dishonored is the best new IP of this generation XD
Survival "Horror" is an odd thing. The thing is, it's not really about "horror", it's about tension, the player needs to be in a mental state where they actively dread meeting enemies because no matter what happens in a fight they haven't really won, because they've had to spend a limited resource to do it. In the best survival horror games you're actively thinking "do I spend bullets or risk health to run past this monster". Dead Space doesn't do that unless you play really suboptimally carrying all the crap weapons that never pay for themselves in ammo, so unless you're bad at the game the tension only persists when you're heavily outnumbered. There may also be too much combat, and too much mandatory combat (in RE/SH you can frequently avoid most of the enemies, again sheparding your limited pools of ammo and health), it becomes routine and you become a practised rekiller of the shambling dead (until the invincible one, then it's tense again). In the very best survival horror game of all (still Project Zero/Fatal Frame) the tension and tradeoff between ammo and safety is even embodied by the combat itself, because to do the most damage you have to hit just before the enemy hits you, meaning that even in combat the tension isn't broken, you're always safeguarding a limited resource.

Ironically, the closest to traditional horror in a game, Silent Hill 2, which draws horror from its themes and the dark places inside its characters, isn't tense most of the time because the combat is easy once you get the pipe and can poke enemies from beyond their attack range, risking no health and spending no bullets.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
GloatingSwine said:
This is one reason I cannot have the least bit of respect for Visceral

They have out-right STATED that they don't give a shit about the PC ports and that they ACTIVELY neuter them because they don't want any one platform (The PC) to have a "superior experience"

It's a load of fucking crap
Or they can't be arsed to cater to PC fatties who will just pirate the game anyway?
PC 'fatties' as you so delightfully call us, will only pirate the game, as TotalBiscuit said in this video if the value proposition is so low that it's not worth buying the game.

You know, if the horror elements were neutered by microtransactions

if the game itself was a straight console port

if the franchise has nosedived so far from the original that it's barely worth the name.

You know, if those things happen.

Jimothy Sterling said:
MegaSuperUberMe said:
Dead Space, a horror game? Hahahaha, next thing you tell me that the residentevil movies are pure horror, eh Jim?
Interesting how you added "pure" horror to the RE movies, but not Dead Space. That basically set me up to talk about how nobody say "pure" anything with regards to the former.

When you telegraph your own argumentative flaw, it becomes too easy for me.
Have you seen that TB video btw?

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
Dead space really was a great IP.

Atmosphere remains great throughout... weapons/controls/gameplay etc etc is great.
Story is great, levels are varied and inspired (i.e. school after comm array after scientology church after.... etc and NOT just grey hallway after brown hallway)

Some people criticize the game for not being scary... I would hope that grown adults would get used to the jump scares after a while and not soil themselves or have mental trauma.... however, the jump scares do well to give suspense to the game and urgency, which is something people cannot argue.

I never played the multiplayer... strictly talking about single, and I for one can guarantee i am not buying any microtransactions after i get the core game.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Trishbot said:
Resident Evil has them. Silent Hill has them. Nearly every great horror movie ever made has them.
Okay, ignoring the rest of your post, I take issue with this part.

Resident Evil is a MUCH more of a action series than a horror series, it's hardly all that scary, and the early games only coast by on the low, LOW standards of the PS1 generation of consoles which was the first generation where horror was even possible.

The Silent Hills that are worth a crap have between none and VERY few jump-scares, and when you go several hours without a single jump scare it will make that one jumpscare all the more satisfying. Only the newer, shittier Silent Hills really embraced jump-scares, and they were worse for it.

And nearly every great horror movie ever made? That's just false.

Are you SERIOUSLY telling me that the traditional Resident Evil games "coasted by on the low standards of PS1 consoles"? The remake on Gamecube preserved the essence of the game, upped the presentation, and it was JUST as scary and thrilling as any other horror game has EVER been. Resident Evil was NEVER an "action" game until RE4, and even that's debatable. The creator of Resident Evil himself rejected pure action and, when he saw the original version of RE4 getting too action-driven, he turned it into a brand new IP entirely called Devil May Cry.

Silent Hill 1, also a PS1-era game, has plenty of jump scares (the glass room and the body in the locker immediately spring to mind), as does Silent Hill 2 (the bathroom door, the lying figure under the car, the hangman scream, Pyramid Head in EVERY appearance, the bug room, etc.) Silent Hill 3 has its share too. ALL of them do. Trust me; I played those games religiously.

These games, however, didn't rely ONLY on jump scares. Neither does Dead Space. I've played nearly every horror game you can imagine, and Dead Space has plenty of really excellent jump scares, but it's got plenty more going on for it (DS1's suicide room and DS2's creepy bird sanctuary are standouts). But even the best horror games have had jump scares.

And, yes, nearly every timeless, widely regarded scary horror movie has jump scares in it at some point. Exorcist, Alien, The Thing, The Shining, Jacob's Ladder, Paranormal Activity, Halloween, Psycho, Jaws, Night of the Living Dead, Evil Dead, The Omen, American Werewolf in London, The Ring, Suspiria, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, etc. Again, not all RELY on them, but nearly all of them HAVE them.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
ResonanceSD said:
PC 'fatties' as you so delightfully call us, will only pirate the game, as TotalBiscuit said in this video if the value proposition is so low that it's not worth buying the game.
If at any point in your decision making tree is "and therefore I will pirate the game, ensuring the developers receive nothing but I get to play it anyway", then why would they bother with you? This is exactly the attitude publicly expressed by PC gamers that make developers think the platform is bad for profitability or needs more always on DRM and freemium features than you can shake a dick at.

And that's not to mention the significant portion of the userbase who will just pirate the game anyway, when even stuff like Humble Indie Bundle gets something like 60% piracy rates (y'know that thing you can pay one cent for, that people massively pirate anyway because a huge proportion of PC users are such habitual scumbags*) you can't make the argument that "oh, PC gamers would pay if the port was good", they wouldn't.

You literally cannot make this argument, PC gamers don't, as it stands, deserve nice things. That's why everyone chased the tail of WoW for so long, because Blizzard figured out a way to extract money from PC players whilst everyone else was getting screwed by 90% piracy rates, and why the future of the platform is basically all about Free to Play because that locks them in to a system where you can tempt money out of them.

* And it's generally windows based traditional PC gamers that do, average payment for the Windows HIBs are lower than either Linux or Mac versions (presumably because the Linux users saved money on the OS and Mac users are loaded), which happens because PC gamers if they don't steal the thing outright will ensure that they screw over the people who made it by paying a single puny cent.

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
All this video has done is remind me that I really need to get around to playing Dead Space 2. I absolutely loved the first game, but I never got around to playing the second.
Because I've only played the first, I can't say it's the best IP of this gen, but Jim raises some great points and the series has definitely impressed me. Hopefully DS3 continues that streak of quality.

Still, damn micro transactions and damn EA's distasteful business practices.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
You know, I bought Dead Space during the Steam Halloween sale last year because of the episode that mentioned how Dead Space is scary in the same kind of way that Doom 3 was scary (and unlike shit that relies only on cheap jump scares and thus doesn't even remotely scare me such as Slender, Doom 3 actually did scare me the first time I played it) because I thought it might be fun to play a game that actually messes with my head in that manner again.

Still haven't gotten around to actually playing it yet, though. But I think that it just moved up to the top of my "play next" list once I finish one of the games I'm already currently playing.

Mr.Tea said:
I have only started Dead Space and I like the creative HUD (or lack thereof), but I was really disappointed at how quickly we got attacked at the beginning. Ever heard of pacing Visceral? Even the much maligned Doom 3 paced itself really well at the start and gave you a good 10-15 minutes of gameplay before throwing the legions of hell at you (see also: Half-Life).
I don't think "Half-Life" and "paced itself really well" are allowed to exist in the same sentence without some form of negation. For example, "Half-Life did not pace itself really well." Four words: Overly long tram ride. When you have players ready to turn the game off out of boredom before the game has even fucking started, you're doing pacing horribly, horribly wrong.

Callate said:
Best IP this generation? Huh. No wonder EA is trying to find an excuse to kill it. ;)
Nice one!

BioRex

Dec 11, 2012
Mr.Tea said:
Four words: Overly long tram ride. When you have players ready to turn the game off out of boredom before the game has even fucking started, you're doing pacing horribly, horribly wrong.
Your kidding right? That bit at the start?
Well if people can't get through that I wonder how they have the patience to wait for the game to load or for a movie to start, or for their elevator to arrive, etc...

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Half Life does have loads of bits that go on far too long. You can tell which bits they are because they've been cut out of the Black Mesa rerelease.

BioRex

Dec 11, 2012
GloatingSwine said:
Half Life does have loads of bits that go on far too long. You can tell which bits they are because they've been cut out of the Black Mesa rerelease.
Fair enough, that track thing still seems like an odd thing to remember

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Half Life is, like many other games of its era, best loved in memory.

It's like Deus Ex. Every time someone talks about Deus Ex on the internet, someone somewhere reinstalls it, plays the first level, and then stops. Liberty Island in DX is probably the most played single level of any videogame because of this effect. I know this has happened to me a couple of times at least, and I can probably do the level in my sleep now.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
mjc0961 said:
Dude, you're an ass. Not every PC gamer is a pirate, some of us do pay for our games and do deserve nice things (and by nice things, I mean games that work).
Pretty much this, I pay for all my games and don't buy EA products. You couldn't pay me to play Dead Space.

GloatingSwine said:
You literally cannot make this argument, PC gamers don't, as it stands, deserve nice things.
Well done on latching on to one of my points, taking it out of context, and then using it to launch your own point against the $ spent on the humble bundle.

Have you considered that Windows owners pay less because they actually recognize what indie games are worth?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
T3hSource said:
Proverbial Jon said:
Dead Space really put the survival back into survival horror, even if its horror elements were a swing and a miss.
It definitely puts back survival,but the "horror" swings more towards ham-fisted attempts to shock you,so I think I should stop treating Dead Space as a "survival horror",but as a "survival thriller",because jump scares are not horror.Once you throw the entire idea of horror away and just focus on actual survival,the tension is there.
It's a "horror" the same way Left 4 Dead is. It's not about trying to spook you out or frighten you as much as it is about inducing sudden panic and "fight or flight" instincts. Its scares are based in things going to shit very quickly, rather than trying to get psychological with you.
I would argue that neither Left 4 Dead or Dead Space induced much horror at all. I get what you're saying about how the scares are for showing that things are going to shit quickly, but particularly in Dead Space, the scares are lackluster.

One of the major points against the "scares" of Dead Space is that they are more audio cues for hints that a monster is going to show up from the only vent in the room. Another point is that the same type of jump-scare is used more than a level design of Dragon Age 2. It's kind of scary the first time, but kind of lame the 3rd and completely obvious by the 10th time its seen.

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
All of his arguments make sense when you consider Dead Space as a video game. It's a lot of fun, and I actually started to care about what happens to Isaac by the end.

But it wasn't trying JUST to be a fun action-shooter. It was trying to be "the scariest video game of all time" (Direct quote from a Game Informer interview before the release of DS1. Can't remember what issue, sorry.) and it failed to be that. It failed SO HARD.