Jimquisition: Dead Space - The Best New IP This Generation?

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
jovack22 said:
Dead space really was a great IP.

Atmosphere remains great throughout... weapons/controls/gameplay etc etc is great.
Story is great, levels are varied and inspired (i.e. school after comm array after scientology church after.... etc and NOT just grey hallway after brown hallway)

Some people criticize the game for not being scary... I would hope that grown adults would get used to the jump scares after a while and not soil themselves or have mental trauma.... however, the jump scares do well to give suspense to the game and urgency, which is something people cannot argue.

I never played the multiplayer... strictly talking about single, and I for one can guarantee i am not buying any microtransactions after i get the core game.
Same thoughts exactly.
Personally I find Dead Space to be scary but that's just because I'm a wuss, but you know what, that just makes it more fun.
I played the multiplayer for Dead Space 2 but not for very long, it really wasn't very good. I'm really interested in the co-op though, how they'll actually justify having a second person there and the game will more-or-less change depending on if there's more than one person or not.
THAT'S how you do it, F.E.A.R. 3!
Anyway.
Despite it looking like a more action heavy shooter, I'm still going to buy the game and I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I disagree. Its an ok game and fun to play. But after playing half way through DS1 i got bored and turned it off. Jump scares are cheap and not scary, they make you jump but its not a scare.....real fear was in Silent Hill. Also i dont like the guns apart from the one that fired blades. The character was boring. All that plodding slow walk made exploring a chore.....and no making you slow doesnt make it scary, just makes your reactions slow and pointless. The dismemberment thing was a great idea but just led to "cut off legs" to deal with the enemies.

Maybe it got better and the story actually got interesting after i turned it off? Maybe one i will give it another go. Or would people say the sequel is better? If so i may give the sequel a try.

Datacide

Apr 6, 2010
Biggest knock I have against Visceral and EA with Dead Space isn't the games...I love the games...it is the clusterfuck that is Dead Space 2 on PC. The game is fine and looks AMAZING running at 60fps, it is the fact that the DLC is INCLUDED with one of the patches. This unlocks everything in the shop, makes money useless in the game, and RUINS the whole survival economy of the games. Plus the unlocked rigs and weapons make the joy of discovery a joke and ruins the balance. This isn't a game about being a god, it is a game about hoping you make it through the next room.

I'd hoped that EA would fix this. Steam forum and emails to EA have been vocal on this issue. Hopefully they'll revisit the issue when Dead Space 3 makes more sales for Dead Space 2. You'd think it would be easy to remove the DLC or to make players able to disable the DLC material while keeping the fixes from the patch intact.

For a publisher and developer that really seem to "get" what this game is about...the inclusion of forced, game ruining, DLC in the patch makes me just sad. It is hard to work at getting an "unpatched" version via Steam, thankfully I was able to use my activation code on Origin which doesn't auto-patch the game and run the game sans patches, but at least with all the horror still intact.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I do agree with a lot of what you are saying about the Dead Space franchise.

For me, Dead Space is a prime example of a "my first horror game" sort of game. It is not the scariest game of all time, not by a long shot really, and I do feel that it relies on jumpscares more often than it should. Dead Space 2 did feel a bit more generic then the first, at least for me.

But the main reason I think people love Dead Space so much, and sometimes hype it up a bit too much, is the atmosphere. The franchise has an incredible atmosphere to it, partly because of the reasons you stated (the integrated HUD, smooth transitions from cutscene to gameplay, etc...). Though it is not exactly "scary", per se, at least for me, it is definitely a prime example of atmosphere done right in a game.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Dead space? Really?

Well to each their own, but Honestly I dont think Dead space can even hope to hold a candle to the Souls series. Practically every positive extolled (save the whole transition thing) is just as if not better represented in Dark Or Demons. But as they say the proof is in the pudding and when your game can lead to some people purchasing second copies for no other reason than rabidly desiring to have MORE content via DLC-esque add on is pretty hard to ignore

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
To me Dead Space is "that game that got the dismemberment 100% right".
When I first started playing the first game I've spend 15 or so minutes stomping a pile of necromorph corpses. And pretty much couldn't stop doing this the entire time, hence it took me a long time to finish the game.

Now, I do have issues with Dead Space 3 microtransactions. I don't like anything related to the PS store or whatever in the game interface, unless I can buy it and it will disappear, adding some content. Microtransactions mean that there is always this option in game, and it will not go away no matter if/how much you pay. To me it's a deal-breaker and a no-buy.

And I've bought all DLC for Saint's Row 3, Dragon's Dogma and a number of other such games. I don't have problems with DLC, but I do have a problem with any kind of consistent subscription or microtransaction (which is why I never got into any MMO or free2play game - it irritates me). I will put it this way - if you want to sell a DLC that cost $15 and adds 100000 in-game money every time you start new game - I'm ok with it. But if it's an option in-game to buy currency that is always there - no. It's not a matter of money/price for me. I don't want a game that feels like a service, it actually makes me angry.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
Lucky Godzilla said:
I'm a big fan of the combat system of Dead Space. Everything feels so goddamn satisfying, and is in my humble opinion the pinnacle of the horror action genre. Also love the hud, just everything about it. My only gripe is how the dynamic laser sight of dead space 1 was removed in two and three.

As for best new I.P of this generation, I would be inclined to give it to Mass Effect But hey, to each their own
You can change that in the main menu, actually, go somewhere in the options menu then select "Classic" next to aiming mode.

OT: I guess I can agree with you, as far as mainstream IP's go, but I haven't really thought about my favorite new series this gen. I'll think about it more.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Jim, I don't normally watch your videos but let me say this: You're both right and wrong.
I agree with everything you praise about the Dead Space series, I do. And the thing is that I wish more games are a lot like Dead Space on the immersion side of things, building the HUD, the menus, the tooltips, everything into the game barely breaking immersion.

But, I do have to disagree on the part that its not the best IP of the generation. Its up there in innovation, story is very good, elements of player interaction is good, but it doesn't have enough. I do have to say, though its 3rd person, AND IT DOESN'T HAVE COVER BASED SHOOTING!

That being said, I don't have a best new IP of this generation but I just have catagories:

Immersion: Dead Space without a doubt
Story: Mass Effect (would have been better if Bioware didn't give into all the whiners asking for a Disney ending)
Gameplay: Borderlands
Just pure fun: Saints Row
Creativity/Originality: Portal

And as for the people that doesn't say that Dead Space isn't horror, Fear is relative to one's own personality, I am scared when playing the dead space games. My friends, not so much. So if it doesn't scare you, shut up and look at the aspects of the other game play, you should still get a rush as you hope that last shot of ammunition kills that necromorph rushing you.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
I find it difficult to deem a game as being "The best IP of the Generation" when it fails in the biggest component of "Being a game" when it comes to the PC.

And that's being playable.

If I want to get into Dead Space 3 on my PC, I have to obtain Origin, from there, I have to pay $63 (£40 GBP), and with this, I get a game that's ported quite poorly, is out-of-date with the format and is tacked upon with a fair amount of DLC, which is wafted in my face as the "Full" Experience.

It's like paying over the odds for a PS2 game on the PS3 these days.

It may very well be a good game, however, there's so much bullshit around it, it's an endeavour not worth the effort.

If they cut the crap and actually make the game effortless to play and actually competitive with other PC games, I'd gladly pay the RRP of a PC game to play it.

But, expecting me to pay over the odds, to be forced to use bloated DRM software while being squeezed for more money at every turn, no, I don't think so.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
How cute. Jim does a video praising a game from one of his favorite franchises that he ALREADY gave legitimate criticism towards, and people immediately jump for the EA sock puppet retorts.

News Flash: you're not witty or clever by insinuating such things. Don't like the game? Fine, no one is forcing it on you. Don't like the publichser? Fine, no one is forcing them on you either. But if you're truly incapable of seeing how it can be enjoyed by someone with different tastes than yours, that is the epitome of the term "close minded".

But I'm sure these individuals will be back to singing praises as soon as Jim brings out the pitchforks and torches for his next EA rant, like good little two faced pricks.

IKWerewolf

Jan 13, 2011
A good episode and I agree with everything you say and this shows the tragedy that EA has created.

Dead Space has been an original series and fun to play... the question is whether I'm going to get it. I played on PC and Xbox and felt more comfortable playing PC... Oh wait Origin's breach of privacy.

This is the tragedy... EA have made a serious mess of IPs not because they are not bad designers but because they are bad marketers setting prices and rules in a way that abuses the player.

Lets get something straight:

- I wanted to finish Mass Effect 3
- I wanted to play Syndicate
- I want to play Dead Space 1, 2 and 3 on PC

But even if Origin had a serious overhaul and Battlefield 3's multiplayer is streamlined properly they have damaged the game industry has suffered because of these poor decisions has ruined developers... that reputation will never vanish.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
We really need a retrospective review of a game franchise, which you've already dedicated a previous episode to defending. We really need more of the spouting of how much you love one game in particular. Because, you know, for something that's not a review show, that's kind of off base. Especially after the string of end of year game of the year videos. Could you stick to the topical content? kthankx.

vortalism

Dec 15, 2011
Great Episode, oh Buckety Master Jim!

To be frank, this generation has really been dominated by some top notch new IP. I can be hard pressed to think of any older generation games that've stayed popular or even good in this generation (besides the obvious candidates and remakes: Deus Ex, Half Life, and others.. ) I'm not entirely sure whether last generation's games featured a lot of reiterated IP from the one preceding it but I can say that this generation's IP is not only new and innovative but really successful too.

A survival horror game in a world dominated previously by WW2 Shooters and now by Modern Military Shooters? How can that be?
Or a Sci Fi RPG focusing heavily on Storytelling? Whaaaat? A spiritual successor to System Shock without all the messy bits sticking out and instant game overs..? No way..
Or even most surprisingly a puzzle game that happened to be so good that it made a lasting impression on Yahtzee... This must be the work of sorcerers and demigods..

Plus we even got a game for the historian in me: Assassin's Creed, which is my candidate for best new IP of this generation. The funny thing about all the really big and successful New IPs now are that not only are they spawning franchises and sequels, that these sequels are making improvements to the original (on the most part, well more than sequels usually do...) and really trying to make these big sagas for us. Reusing AC as an example, when I first played AC1 I thought it was an above average game that I found hard to categorise other than like Price of Persia but.. Now AC is just beyond words and many of the other new IPs are like that too: Bioshock for one, Dead Space as the mighty Jim hath spoke (even though I have yet to play it, sounds good), InFamous, Batman: Arkham Something, Uncharted, Mass Effect, Saints Row, MINECRAFT (why has no-one even mentioned this, unless you have)... all of these spawning massive franchises for themselves, making their presence embedded into our favour, and I won't be surprised if these games make it into the next generation riding on high.

Plus as an amateur game developer myself, I just have to respect the amount of diversity we're seeing. Although it could be better ;)