Jimquisition: Dead Space - The Best New IP This Generation?

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Personally I'd give best new IP to Mass Effect but then again I've never really given Dead Space the time and attention it deserves. Strangely the fact the new one is Co-op makes me somewhat more inclined to buy it, I guess this new generation has really shown me I much prefer playing with people than alone.

Oh, on a side note I find it interesting Dead Space and Mass Effect are both products of 'teh mostest evilist thing in the universe' EA.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
Played the two games some time ago. Didnt finish either of them. The experience is extremely generic and it is never scary. And I mean NEVER. This might be just my insensitivity to this genre, but for a horror game it was horrible. It very quickly devolves into "oh, shoot more monsters, then go here, oh, more monsters, then go there" etc etc. I'm sorry, but calling something as generic and as basic as Dead Space the best IP of the generation is a tad bit too absurd!

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
Such a good video and I can't help but agree. Dead Space is probably my favourite new IP game of this generation and I really want it to do well so that new games will come out, but I really don't favour some of the design choices that have been made and for that reason I am torn as to whether or not to purchase it.

At this time as well the reviews have been fairly mixed, however the average, as it stands, is 79, symbolic of a very good game after taking into account people's varying tastes in the style etc so who knows. May wait for it top drop in price and I definitely will not be contributing towards the pay to win.

minimacker

Apr 20, 2010
Akalabeth said:
minimacker said:
Nyeh... I'm going to disagree with Jim. Dead Space is a pretty lack-luster series when you count all the pieces in. At least compared to other games of our generation. The scares in Dead Space are almost complete jokes. They were predictable as all hell and never had me waiting for them. So is that it? Is the franchise of the decade composed of nothing more than unscary jump scares?

Compare it to such games as Mass Effect and Bioshock, which *really* fleshed out the world they're set in. You WANTED to learn more about their world and what makes it tick. Dead Space has a few good niches, such as the armor HUD. But as a franchise and "the best intellectual property"? HA!
Bioshock?
It's just an underwater city, big deal.

Bioshock is probably one of the most over-rated games I've played this generation. Good? Sure. Fantastic? No.

Maybe if Rapture was actually like a living breathing city, with real people in it that I could care about then I might be more interested in the world. But seriously, a bunch of audio logs are supposed to make me care about people I've never met?

In fact all these games where you come in, after the fact, and you never glimpse the splendour of what it was before . . .none of those games are that compelling. Why should I care about something that's been lost if I never met it? It's like playing an RPG, being told about someone who was a great interesting person, then being told that they're dead and how you should feel sad about it.
I guess you don't actually like learning things about the universe, then. To go the extra mile and read the terminals and listen to the speaking lore on the tapes. But you believe that Dead Space is a better intellectual property than Mass Effect? My god, man.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
I found Dead Space 1 pretty good. 2 bored me half way through and never finished it. 3 is turning me off already due to the usual EA bullshit. Even if I had loved all of them however, I'd pause and take a serious look at myself before declaring it "best new IP of this generation", when we've got stuff like Portal and the Souls games out. Flamebait title, as always :p

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
The Yin and the Yang of the situation is that to stand against the microtransactions and business practices, otherwise good franchises are going to have to die. You can't support Dead Space 3, without paying money into it and thus also supporting the business models attached to it.

Half the problem with gamers as consumers is that we will generally tolerate any amount of abuse for our favorite IPs, and support them no matter what riders are attached to them. We tend to only make a "stand", which isn't really a stand, when it's something we weren't likely to buy anyway. Whether it's a Dead Space fan, or a Call Of Duty fan, we tend to generally be unwilling to go without in order to make a point, and we are heavily exploited because of it.

As much as I love the Dead Space IP, having bought and played both of the games in the series so far, I am not going to buy this one, at least not new and for full price, because of the microtransaction gimmicks attached to it. As good as the IP, and Studio might be, neither is worth the out of control business practices within the industry.

What's more, it should be noted is that part of the reason why EA buys studios is so that they can bring in their fan/consumer base towards it's own profit. This has continued largely because the fans DO follow their favorite devs and studios and buy their products even after the EA publishing liscence. Only getting upset and "turning" once EA has made a bunch of money and is willing to discard their drained carcass anyway. As a result I'm of the increasing opinion that as soon as EA buys a Dev and/or IP gamers should increasingly simply consider it over, and refuse to buy the product, it's better to let the Dev die without doing any damage to your wallet, than it is to feed EA and encourage them to do it to more and more studios.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
I love Dead Space, not sure if I'd the best new IP but it's a pretty damn fantastic series.
Looking forward to playing the third one this weekend.

Too bad about Viscerals stance on PC ports though.

Aarowbeatsdragon

Jan 27, 2012
ForgottenPr0digy said:
I fucking love dead space 1 and 2(I still want DS2 DLC and ignition)

Trust me you do NOT want ignition.
I got it for free when i pre-ordered dead space 2 and its the first free thing i've ever gotten that i actually hated :p It's not needed at all.
OT. I have a huge love for the franchise but i disagree with it being the best new IP of this gen, it is still a great one though!

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
eh....no. Sorry but when it comes to horror games, the first F.E.A.R. was far better than Dead Space in terms of horror. Come to think of it, I think the Condemned series also did horror really well.

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
Dead Space is a pretty good IP, but my opinion differs. For me, Demon's/Dark Souls is the best IP of this generation. The funny thing is, is that both franchises are steeped in mystery, tension and thrills, with Demon's/Dark leaning more towards dark fantasy lore and Dead Space horror.

The thing is, with Dead Space after a while you can predict where the necromorphs are going to jump you, which areas are "dangerous" and which you can let your guard down. There is that suspense, but it's suspense tempered with the knowledge that something is going to scare you soon.

Souls, on the other hand, is fabulous at implementing a Hitchcockian sense of suspense, where we are given some information but sometimes nothing actually happens. Or, at least, not right away. It can be maddeningly tense in the Souls game when you are carefully treading through a winding maze of dark corridors, your only light a glowing crystal at your waist, not knowing where the next enemy will be. Is it around the corner? Or is there a fall ahead of you? A trap? Nothing at all? I found that Dead Space takes it's cues a bit more from modern Hollywood shock films, while Souls employs a bit more of a slow burn.

Both have great payoffs, but I find Souls to be more engaging. However, these two franchises strike me as cousins, in a way. Souls has mastered the fantasy niche of survival thriller/horror and Dead Space has cornered sci-fi terror. Both great franchises in my opinion, but I have to give the edge to Souls.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Cry Wolf said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
Cry Wolf said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
Dead Space - The Best New IP This Generation? This week Jim proves his love for the often maligned Dead Space franchise. Watch Video
I'm not exaggerating in the slightest when I say this; you just sold a copy of at least the first Dead Space to me (and likely the second if it's a reasonable price). That is pretty impressive, I don't think I've ever bought a game because somebody on the internet has told me it was good (and more to the point, why it was good). I've certainly looked into games on recommendation - but I'm going all the way and buying it.
If you're buying it on PC be warned, it's possibly one of the worst ports i've ever encountered.
Assuming it doesn't crash on me, the FPS is terrible, it has awful mouse acceleration, it has bad screen tear and if you turn on the V-sync it basically breaks the game.

OT: This video makes me sad. I really would love to play DS but the problems I mentioned above basically mean I can't.
Well, thats a fucking downer. My place recently got a PS3, so I suppose I could grab it for that - but I've been hesitant to buy games for a shared console. Still, if it's half as good as it was made out to be I wont regret it. I wish PC ports weren't typically half-arsed. =/
I've played both on the PC and the only thing was the mouse was a little sluggish/had poor acceleration in the first one, and even that didn't stop me from playing and completing it - it was only noticeable at the start; you just get over it and enjoy the game. The rest worked fine, and number 2 was perfectly playable - don't be put off so easily!

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
While it's most certainly not a bad series at least thus far, saying it's the best new IP is a bit of a stretch. There is not a single original part in it, everything what's great about it they just took from other games and/or movies.

Game mechanics and parts of the gameplay they just copy pasted from Resident Evil 4.
Atmosphere and setting is from Event Horizon and Doom 3 (and I know Doom 3 is ripping of Alien movies and System Shock 2)
Story is as you might know mostly from Event Horizon, but also from Alien movies and Leviathan.
Which brings us to weapons being mining tools it's also from Leviathan.
Monsters are a mix of Resident Evil 4 las plagas infected and 28 Days Later zombies.

MegaSuperUberMe

Mar 5, 2012
Jimothy Sterling said:
MegaSuperUberMe said:
Dead Space, a horror game? Hahahaha, next thing you tell me that the residentevil movies are pure horror, eh Jim?
Interesting how you added "pure" horror to the RE movies, but not Dead Space. That basically set me up to talk about how nobody say "pure" anything with regards to the former.

When you telegraph your own argumentative flaw, it becomes too easy for me.
Dear Jim, Dead space is not a horror game, it's an action game that is filled with jump scares. Don't get me wrong, I loved it. It just failed to scare me, I was never running out of ammo or things to kill, monsters were creative, but their scare value was really short lived due to them being nothing more than puppets going "BOO BOO". Never was I afraid to go through a long bloody hallway or a research lab/med bay, hell, I was actually anxious to go shoot some b!tches. It is essentially a "Resident Evil movie" in a scene that it fails at being scary, but succeeds at being fun for how silly it is. Gameplay (which was great and only got better in the 2)and some creative approaches to your HUD aside it was mediocre. Also, the fact that you nitpicking sentences instead of providing an argument in defence of your statement that it is a horror game is your argumentative flaw.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
MegaSuperUberMe said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
MegaSuperUberMe said:
Dead Space, a horror game? Hahahaha, next thing you tell me that the residentevil movies are pure horror, eh Jim?
Interesting how you added "pure" horror to the RE movies, but not Dead Space. That basically set me up to talk about how nobody say "pure" anything with regards to the former.

When you telegraph your own argumentative flaw, it becomes too easy for me.
Dear Jim, Dead space is not a horror game, it's an action game that is filled with jump scares. Don't get me wrong, I loved it. It just failed to scare me, I was never running out of ammo or things to kill, monsters were creative, but their scare value was really short lived due to them being nothing more than puppets going "BOO BOO". Never was I afraid to go through a long bloody hallway or a research lab/med bay, hell, I was actually anxious to go shoot some b!tches. It is essentially a "Resident Evil movie" in a scene that it fails at being scary, but succeeds at being fun for how silly it is. Gameplay (which was great and only got better in the 2)and some creative approaches to your HUD aside it was mediocre. Also, the fact that you nitpicking sentences instead of providing an argument in defence of your statement that it is a horror game is your argumentative flaw.
Silent Hill 2, despite being my favorite game, doesn't scare me. In fact, the only thing it did that ever scared me was, in fact, a jump scare.

By your definition, Silent Hill 2 is not a horror game.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I own the first Dead space for the PC and while I like it the PC controls really annoy me. The cursor always appears in the game and every time I try and turn Isaac it always takes way to long and I get killed trying to aim. Are the PC controls on 2 and 3 better than the first? I am thinking of just skipping the first one and playing 2 and 3 if the controls are better.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
I feel the same way about Dead Space as I do Halo, both claim to be amazing but the actual gameplay is boring and predictable. I just do not find either even mildly interesting, however I think the lore for both is fantastic. So yeah, I disagree. I played part way through Dead Space 1, then put it down due to being bored to tears, never a good start for a game.

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
I kind of really want to go buy Dead Space now. The last game Jim sold me on was Warriors Orochi 3 after I watched the Dynasty Warriors Citizen Kane video and subsequently read his review, and that's now one of my favorite games. So I guess I owe it to you... Dead Space is added to my game wishlist. Thank buddha for you, Jim.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
GloatingSwine said:
Half Life is, like many other games of its era, best loved in memory.

It's like Deus Ex. Every time someone talks about Deus Ex on the internet, someone somewhere reinstalls it, plays the first level, and then stops. Liberty Island in DX is probably the most played single level of any videogame because of this effect. I know this has happened to me a couple of times at least, and I can probably do the level in my sleep now.
Oh, you guys don't...play through the whole thing again?

Dead Space? Really? I mean it certainly is more gritty and sci-fi than many others, but at the end of the first game I had a very long meh moment before it ended and that prevented me from buying the sequel.

Not Portal? Or Batman? Mass Effect 1 was certainly better than Dead Space.