Jimquisition: Dead Space - The Best New IP This Generation?

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
If Dead Space is the best new IP of this gen that doesn't say much for this gen, I mean Dead Space is well made, it knows what it wants to do and does it well...Why? because its been done before when it was called Resident Evil 4, they literally took RE:4 and added a HUD and space, what does space mean? cheaper production because everything is a corridor or a room. Why not Dead Sea, put it in an underwater...Crap Bio-shock...wait was System-shock on a space station?

Dead Space/2 were good games to me but best new IP this gen? Maybe your love of Alien/s and Event Horizon is skewing your judgement a little?

lastjustice

Jun 29, 2004
I own dead space and found it meh. The atmosphere didn't scare me but gave me a headache from playing it. One of my friends raved about it(he'sa huge fan of resident evil series besides 6, and loves everything zombie though.), but it did nothing for me.

New Ips I'd easily pick over it.

- Borderlands, I love the crazy world that's more humorous and morbid at the same. It's colorful and interesting. The second game really does a great job of stepping up the story elements as it does it's best to make the battle between and Handsome Jack as personal as possible. Nothing is sacred , nothing is safe. Definitely a blast to play with friends, and collect a billion guns.

- Infamous, Cole , the "electric man" Mcgrath story of rising up froma simple bike messager to the savior or destoryer of mankind was a far more compelling and interesting story than what dead space gave me. I just wish they'd held off the main hook of the showdown with the beast for one more game, as I'd love to seen a trilogy. I hope we see more of Cole besides his guest appearances in fighting games.

- Darksiders, I love the horsemen. I really hope we get to see the finale of this story. It's a war across all existence and the 4 are at the center of it. I enjoyed the aspects of both games, as you progress and feel like a bad ass by the end. War will always be my favorite, but Death has some cool tricks of his own. Death reminds me of myself in fact the eldest brother has always clean up his youngest brother's messes haha.

MegaSuperUberMe

Mar 5, 2012
Jimothy Sterling said:
MegaSuperUberMe said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
MegaSuperUberMe said:
Dead Space, a horror game? Hahahaha, next thing you tell me that the residentevil movies are pure horror, eh Jim?
Interesting how you added "pure" horror to the RE movies, but not Dead Space. That basically set me up to talk about how nobody say "pure" anything with regards to the former.

When you telegraph your own argumentative flaw, it becomes too easy for me.
Dear Jim, Dead space is not a horror game, it's an action game that is filled with jump scares. Don't get me wrong, I loved it. It just failed to scare me, I was never running out of ammo or things to kill, monsters were creative, but their scare value was really short lived due to them being nothing more than puppets going "BOO BOO". Never was I afraid to go through a long bloody hallway or a research lab/med bay, hell, I was actually anxious to go shoot some b!tches. It is essentially a "Resident Evil movie" in a scene that it fails at being scary, but succeeds at being fun for how silly it is. Gameplay (which was great and only got better in the 2)and some creative approaches to your HUD aside it was mediocre. Also, the fact that you nitpicking sentences instead of providing an argument in defence of your statement that it is a horror game is your argumentative flaw.
Silent Hill 2, despite being my favorite game, doesn't scare me. In fact, the only thing it did that ever scared me was, in fact, a jump scare.

By your definition, Silent Hill 2 is not a horror game.
Well, SH strength was build up to the jump scares, the crushing loneliness, strange and weird noises, limited resources, unpredictability and so on. In DS it is more of a "Oh look, an airvent , gee I wonder, is there any monsters in there? Oh look, there is one! I guess I just use my gun that shoots a fracking chainsaw and cut the creep in to billion pieces and throw his head across the room, with my Jedi powers no less!".

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
MegaSuperUberMe said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
MegaSuperUberMe said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
MegaSuperUberMe said:
Dead Space, a horror game? Hahahaha, next thing you tell me that the residentevil movies are pure horror, eh Jim?
Interesting how you added "pure" horror to the RE movies, but not Dead Space. That basically set me up to talk about how nobody say "pure" anything with regards to the former.

When you telegraph your own argumentative flaw, it becomes too easy for me.
Dear Jim, Dead space is not a horror game, it's an action game that is filled with jump scares. Don't get me wrong, I loved it. It just failed to scare me, I was never running out of ammo or things to kill, monsters were creative, but their scare value was really short lived due to them being nothing more than puppets going "BOO BOO". Never was I afraid to go through a long bloody hallway or a research lab/med bay, hell, I was actually anxious to go shoot some b!tches. It is essentially a "Resident Evil movie" in a scene that it fails at being scary, but succeeds at being fun for how silly it is. Gameplay (which was great and only got better in the 2)and some creative approaches to your HUD aside it was mediocre. Also, the fact that you nitpicking sentences instead of providing an argument in defence of your statement that it is a horror game is your argumentative flaw.
Silent Hill 2, despite being my favorite game, doesn't scare me. In fact, the only thing it did that ever scared me was, in fact, a jump scare.

Well, SH strength was build up to the jump scares, the crushing loneliness, strange and weird noises, limited resources, unpredictability and so on. In DS it is more of a "Oh look, an airvent , gee I wonder, is there any monsters in there? Oh look, there is one! I guess I just use my gun that shoots a fracking chainsaw and cut the creep in to billion pieces and throw his head across the room, with my Jedi powers no less!".
And slasher movies are all about a guy in a mask or a burned face running around cutting people up in hilarious ways and sometimes cracking wise. Very different experience from, say, The Exorcist, but they inhabit the same genre.

There's more than one type of horror. People trying to impose their own single-minded and blinkered definition of horror, to the exclusion of all others, really is no different from Roger Ebert claiming videogames can't be art because he's decided for everybody what qualifies.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Love your costume Jim.

Also I fully agree with you regarding the Dead Space franchise which I fully enjoyed. Aside from being your best IP this generation? That's up to you to choose. Mine are Mass Effect and Witcher francises.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Jimothy Sterling said:

Y'know, maybe it isn't a horror game, not in the traditional survival horror sense where the player is under constant tension because of limited resources making implied threat sufficient to unnerve them. You don't want to hear the radio crackling in Silent Hill, because that means you're about to lose some of your precious health or bullets, and exploring to find more makes you more likely to run into more bad things that will mean risking using more than you found.

Combat in SH2 is too easy to resolve without using resources, so there's no tension.

It's a horror story about a man's capacity to lie to himself and the damage that does to his psyche in an adventure game with a bit of light combat.

snd_dsgnr

Feb 14, 2009
My favorite three IP's of this generation, in alphabetical order since I haven't been able to put them in any other order yet.

Assassins Creed
Bioshock
Mass Effect

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Well put together points, though I disagree on it being the best.

Dead Space had consistently decent action, but I never really felt it excelled in atmosphere outside of a few of the quieter areas in the first game. I simply got used to seeing monsters jump out of vents over and over, and the pretending to be dead in the middle of the floor act only worked once. The lead characters weren't particularly gripping, and as the setting became louder and excessively violent I found it harder to get drawn in. I suppose that in the end, what makes something scary is always subjective.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Wow a Jimquisition episode i dont agree with. must be apocalypse.

The hud on body - hate it. i want my normal UI :(
No cutscenes - i like cutscenes
Weapon and aim - sure there are nice weapons ,altrough little variation, but aim was simply bad.
Limp shooting - ill give you that, i like this part.

If you're buying it on PC be warned, it's possibly one of the worst ports i've ever encountered.
Assuming it doesn't crash on me, the FPS is terrible, it has awful mouse acceleration, it has bad screen tear and if you turn on the V-sync it basically breaks the game.
Played on PC and had no such terribles with exception of aim being awful.

Britishfan

Jan 9, 2013
Am I the only one who doesn't actually like Dead Space all that much? I haven't found it scary since I picked up the plasma cutter in the opening chapter, and whilst Dead Space 1 was definitely enjoyable I gave up about 2 or 3 hours into Dead Space 2 simply because I was bored.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
I don't get the huge praise Dead Space gets, sorry.

Yes, it's a neat combination of Aliens and Event Horizon... sadly, the game never fulfills on either promise for me. The Marker thingie stays too vague, the end of DS1 was a huge mess that made me regret finishing the game because it just felt a whole lot better two hours before the end than after it.
I've started playing DS2, after roughly 3 or 4 hours I was simply tired of the overuse of jump scares. Yes, their jump scares are good, but when that's all you have to offer, it gets boring quickly, IMO.

My biggest gripes with the series, however, are these two:
a) Yes, it's nice they don't need a HUD, but having the health of the wearer displayed in a place the wearer will never see is just... completely impractical, bordering on retarded, and clearly shows that Visceral had no real answer to the question where to display the most important information the player needs to be able to see at all times. I appreciate their design overall, but this is a pretty big flaw in it.
b) When I was playing Dead Space 1, a friend of mine came over and watched for a while. You know what his first strong reaction was? Laughing his ass off about Isaac coming into a room full of corpses and going apeshit while stomping those dead bodies to pieces, hoping to find some loot. Seriously, they couldn't think of a better solution for looting that's less ridiculous? Things like this always take me out of the experience.

Overall, Dead Space is a fun third person shooter series. It's campy, loud and in your face all the time, it looks and sounds great and the "strategic dismemberment" feature is fun. For me, that's about it, though. Best new IP this gen? Nah...

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
Fucking Feeder Necros *shudder* god those things are creepy as fuck, Thank you explosion Guard and missile launcher.

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
I can't agree, most of these Jimquisition vids are logical and dare I say it, true, but this was IMO too much based on his personal opinion. I'm right now having a hard time finishing Dead Space 2, not because it's scary, not because it is hard, but because it's so boring and repetitive. The characters are also really bland, the only one I like is that, what's his name, Cross? Something like that.

For best new IP IMO, I would say Bioshock if Bioshock 2 wouldn't have been made, so I'm going to have to go with Uncharted, InFamous, the Arkham games or LA Noire... My personal favorite is actually Uncharted, while I know it might not be the objectively best one. And hey, we still got new ones coming, The Last of Us, and possibly that Star Wars game and Watch Dogs, and what about Rockstar's Agent thingy? Dead Space, IMO, never did anything special that was worthy of being called "best IP this gen", even if it has some good ideas.