Jimquisition: Defending Call of Duty

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Defending Call of Duty

Very much how men and women of the military defend this nation's freedom overseas, Jim Sterling defends Call of Duty. In many ways, Sterling's cause is more righteous and noble than anything a soldier has ever, ever done.

Watch Video

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
*sigh* Is his solution to each complaint about his overacting just to overact even more? Is he deliberately trying to try way too hard to be funny? Is his intention to come off as desperate "ironically?"

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
It's not the fact that it's a huge thing ALONE that makes it shit. It's the fact that (like you said) because it is so big, so many other companies try to emulate it. Often alienating their original fans in the process and making a poorer product. Example: Bioware and Dragon Age 2.

It's like a videogame version of the Shoe Event Horizon.

Also, it is true that swearing teenagers are not the biggest part of CoDs audience. Unfortunately they are the loudest though.

Also, Jim, have I mentioned that with that outfit and flag behind you, you remind me of Norsefire from V for Vendetta?

Darth IB

Apr 7, 2010
This episode felt more serious than the previous ones. While I do enjoy the humorous parts of the show, this one showed that you are a very reasonable kind of person. Good stuff.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
While not very subtly put, I completely agree with what he's saying. People will always be hating on what's popular, because that's what the 'cool kids' do, but a bit of sense seldom goes amiss.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Don't know why I'm still awake but this was a pleasant surprise.

And also nice to see someone defend this franchise for a while. Black Ops was my first COD- game and I clocked a total of 150 hours. It was a simply good game.

And I'm not a hardcore online shooter fan.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
you want a good reason why cod sucks?
not only has everyone else copied the game but the additional content delivered in MW2 and blops is on a scale other companies would achieve with a patch and a ladder wipe.
kiddies are not a majority, just a very vocal minority.
and i generally just prefer the speedier gameplay that comes with things like quake live.

oh and as somebody who does not own an xbox i just feel insulted by the way i am being treated as a customer.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
Sylocat said:
*sigh* Is his solution to each complaint about his overacting just to overact even more? Is he deliberately trying to try way too hard to be funny? Is his intention to come off as desperate "ironically?"
You sir, seem quite frustrated, maybe it was the subject of this episode that made you so?

Anyways, I welcome this new show and its counter-opinion to what is essentially the ethos of many gamers (and that includes members of the Escapist), that is, complete generalization of people based on something as unfounded as taste in video-games.

EDIT:

Mantonio said:
It's not the fact that it's a huge thing ALONE that makes it shit. It's the fact that (like you said) because it is so big, so many other companies try to emulate it. Often alientating their original fans in the process and making a poorer product.
Video-game companies have been emulating whats the most popular since forever. I'd suggest you look up on the mascot- and fighter-craze of the nineties for an example.

Also...
Example: Bioware and Dragon Age 2.
...wat

Dr.Cereal1

Mar 30, 2011
There were several points of his I agreed with, but his manner of speaking was simply to make the people in which he is speaking to angry, instead of actually making a point to them.

Also, the singleplayer's story is extremely generic and doesn't really make anything new.
Ohh look, the Russians are attacking the mercyless US civilians...ohhh no, russian ultranationalists, they must be evil...look, a nuke or emp for the 60th time in order to make you excited.
It just isn't good.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
You're defending CoD on the Escapist, one of the most sequel-phobic, anti-mainstream, "popular is bad (Unless it's Valve)", indie-snobby sites on the internet... that takes balls.

Anyway, the defenses have been pretty good. It's not the best defense, but it's good. And I do not like the whole "CoD players are dicks" mentalities.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
*sigh*

Y'know... when this guy is making points and arguing his case he actually comes across as intelligent, reasonable and articulate.

But then he goes and peppers it with that juvenile strawman crap. It's like a kid in a playground going "nyah nyah nyah". He is not helping his case. Because now when I think of CoD fans, I'm not going to be thinking of swearing 12 year olds, I'm going to be thinking of this guy in his flower hat saying, "Ohhh, all games have to comment on the human condition" in a stupid voice. Which is hardly an improvement.

And yes, I am aware that he does it on purpose and it's not meant to be taken entirely seriously. But at the end of the day, intentionally juvenile and annoying is still juvenile and annoying.

PS. Black Ops has a well paced narrative? That's the funniest thing I've heard in quite some time. CoD:MW? Sure. MW2? Eh... pushing it. Blops? Ha!

retterkl

Oct 27, 2008
Lol why are you getting angry at CoD because other game studios are copying it? How does that make any sense at all?

I only play CoD:WaW really, because it's the one that I have. Although I can imagine easy ways of improving it, as others are copying CoD therefore making CoD the pioneer on this front i'd say they're doing well.

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
Can i not hate CoD for being 'too big' and think the "Games are Arts" wankers are also a bunch of dipshits who need to be crucified with even more prejudice than the CoDkiddies? Its weird how CoD develops a kneejerk hate reaction, it must be doing something wrong.

Edit: Also. Im really bad at shooters.

Nov 24, 2010
"Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is a game which defined what a modern multiplayer shooter could be".

Wrong, that would be Team Fortress 2.

Jim is doing a great job of embarrassing himself. He didn't acknowledge any od the main reasons people tend to dislike COD.

Boring environments.
No innovative mechanics.
No teamwork

etc...