Jimquisition: Defending Call of Duty

Namewithheld

Apr 30, 2008
I loved Modern Warfare. It was the sequel whose patently stupid plot really drove me insane. Bleck. And Black Ops was just insulting.

First one was great though.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Hyper-space said:
Sylocat said:
*sigh* Is his solution to each complaint about his overacting just to overact even more? Is he deliberately trying to try way too hard to be funny? Is his intention to come off as desperate "ironically?"
You sir, seem quite frustrated, maybe it was the subject of this episode that made you so?

Anyways, I welcome this new show and its counter-opinion to what is essentially the ethos of many gamers (and that includes members of the Escapist), that is, complete generalization of people based on something as unfounded as taste in video-games.
I have no problem with the subject of this episode. I'd like to see him actually say something that hasn't already been said much more insightfully by James Portnow and MovieBob, and I'd like to see him deliver his lines in some other way than "trying way way way way WAAAYYYYY too hard to put on an over-the-top persona," but I fully agree with his basic premise that being popular doesn't automatically make something bad.

I quite like the storylines in CoD:Mew, and CoD:Mewtwo (though I think CoD:BO was stupid), though the gameplay is cookie-cut from every other fucking FPS on the market but what else is new.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
You know what this show's problem is? You are to modest! Seriously, with your intelligence, good looks and overall awe inspiring presence, your modesty does not suit you. You sir, need to man up to the big pack of awesomeness that is: You!

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I dont think peopel say its shit completely (well, they do) but I think more people say the games are shit in comparison to other games int he series.

Actually, I thought he was going to talk about that Thing Fox News Did.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
I actually liked hearing someone defend COD for once, instead of all the shoot downs. (But still hearing the list of horrid stuff snuck in there.)

Very good episode, glad I kept watching, but I have to say, some of the humor is still dry. Though its nice to Jim trying to go about it in a... lets just say different... way this time.

Oh... and thanks for helping catch Osama, Jim.

diebane

Apr 7, 2010
I agree with you, Jim, except for one statement:

I dislike the advantages (more perks, weapons, etc.) an experienced player has. You covered this in the video and stated that it was not any different than an experienced player in i.e. Quake. I disagree.

A player (let's call him Dave) that gets wrecked in Quake because of him not knowing where the weapons are is going to want to change that by, for example, looking it up on the internet. If Dave still gets wrecked after that, it is the experience of the better player that gives him the advantage over Dave.

If Dave played Call of Duty, weapon spawn locations don't matter too much (except for some FFA gametypes). Of course, Dave gets wrecked. But this time he can't do anything about that because the advantages of the other players are not (only) based on knowledge (weapon spawns) and game experience, but gametime, too. Sure, if Dave is bad at FPSs he gets wrecked no matter what, but Perks/Weapons/Killstreaks are something that he can't do anything about even if he is decent at gaming.

I hope you get my point.

mfG diiebane

EDIT: Also, I don't buy in the hatred towards younger gamers. I'm sure most of us have played games before we were legally allowed to. What gives us the right to deny those players the game? People who bash little kids for playing CoD (and other games) are most likely Hypocrits.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Jim reads the Escapist I see. He takes upon some discussed topics to troll everyone with at the beginning - quite funny in my opinion. Also Jim, no, COD didn't invent unlockables in FPS - Battlefield franchise did. Much earlier. Just saying.. not like there is an internet argument to be won.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
... I actually agree with him, so much.

I especially like his making fun of the abnoxious pricks who say it's bad because it's not art.

I typed all the stuff above this line before the bit where he decided to be utterly retarded about Bin Laden.

Never mind, hate him.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Another good video by Ser Jim.

Too bad Blops SP/MP were just awful: sure the first time playing the SP was great, but the second time, was just awful when you just notice how much cutscenes is embedded into the game shortening its length by a good few hours of boring exposition. The MP on the other hand, all of the problems of CoD4, without the improvements of MW2. Felt more like CoD4.5. [/rantingaboutBLOPS]

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Yeah, So, I didn't care for war shooter long before it was cool.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
I agree with him, but I'm just not sure how much actually needed to be said. The irrational CoD haters won't listen and everyone else pretty much agrees so it seems kinda pointless, and there weren't that many jokes (except for the OBL one that fell completely flat)soooo...meh.

Intro song is still the best part, but at least he's consistent and makes sense.

OldAccount

Sep 10, 2010
Very nice to see the other side of the COD argument fairly treated on this site.

Well said, Jim. Keep up the good work!

Srdjan Tanaskovic

Oct 20, 2010
Also here are some arguments COD have for hating it and thinking it ruined FPS

Linearity
Rechargeable health
More time spent on making the Multiplayer then Singeplayer
Makings games to brown and gloom
Limit weapons

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
Mr. Omega said:
You're defending CoD on the Escapist, one of the most sequel-phobic, anti-mainstream, "popular is bad (Unless it's Valve)", indie-snobby sites on the internet... that takes balls.
Or maybe jim is doing what he always does and is being a despirate troll.
1: Desperate.
2: Yes, it was troll-y, especially at the end, but there were points to be had. The mentality that "CoD is a bad series and just by liking it, you're a bad person" is becoming more and more apparent on the internet, especially on this site.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
Liking this guy more and more. When he is imitating a whiny CoD hater it reminded me of so many posts I have seen on the escapist.

Great mash up of gameplay clips from last 3 CoD games, good vid.