Jimquisition: Defending Call of Duty

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
I, for some reason, think he has a director at the end saying stuff to him.

"Alrighty, Jim...Jimmy. Yeah alright Jimmy. After your voice is heard you need to say "Thank God...for me." Then Dramatic pauses....annnndddd...sigh. Perfect. That's a rap."

CoD isn't the only one going under this. I'm starting to think people think "If it's not Halo, it's not good" or people just are just going at it with the Yahtzee lense. "It's shit till it proves itself otherwise"

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
Sorry, I gave it a good run. I Don't like it. I gave it a chance, it got a bit better - but it's never going to be good enough in it's current format.

The bits where he's talking over the video are good - he makes good points, the stand-up bits are awful. And the 'Thank God for Me' tag line is just bad. It just doesn't feel good humoured.
Can't please them all I suppose.

Sorry Jim, nothing personal, but I guess this is my stop.

Tomany2

Jun 17, 2008
Unfortunatly, Call Of Duty didn't start the "Unlocks with levels", that would be battlefield 2's doing. So i guess you could call Activision the copy cats.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
I actually love and enjoy the multiplayer aspects of the MW games. However, I have almost ALWAYS been stuck with yuppies who won't shut the )($* up about how good they are or in general with USELESS chatter; or ones that don't give a damn about objectives or teamwork in a objective or teamwork based mode of play. Which is why I enjoy Battlefield BC 2 just a bit more, the sense of teamwork and co-operation; even sportsmanship in some cases is usually much better. At least it isn't as bad as the Halo games could get. Sorry if I'm slightly off-topic, just my two cents. Happy Gaming.

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
No no no no. We don't hate CoD because its popular. We hate it because its a short, linear, repetative experience that relies solely on flashy moments to support itself. Those flashy moments would be fine if there was some substance to the game. But there isn't. Its always go-to-this-cover-then-shoot-these-guys-then-move-up-then-repeat.

As for the multiplayer, CoD 4 and Blops were good (MW2 sucked tremendously), but its quickly gotten repetitive. No matter what they do, each CoD feels like the same game in a different dress.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I like COD. It's fun to play, even though the singleplayer is rather short. The multiplayer is quite entertaining. So yeah, i agree with Jim on this one.

Also, where did he get my hat!?

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
Zhukov said:
PS. Black Ops has a well paced narrative? That's the funniest thing I've heard in quite some time. CoD:MW? Sure. MW2? Eh... pushing it. Blops? Ha!
I agree with this completely. Jim, do you really think Black Ops was well paced when
you start the game in a bar, trying to act like your doing nothing, then suddenly your teammate chokes a random soldier to death, a hundred police pop out of fucking nowhere, and you have to blow up their cars with your grenade launcher?

But other than that, yes I agree with you. Although, I would like to know your opinion on World at War and the earlier WW2 games in the franchise. To me the best two in the series are Call of Duty 4 and Call of Duty 2.

Nesutaa

Nov 9, 2009
I actually liked this episode (save the gay art snob stereotype bits). I played CoD MW1 and 2 a while back to get my own opinion of them. I enjoyed the first and thought the second one wasnt perfect, but it was ok. I told a friend of mine of my experience and was immediately greeted with "why the hell did you play that? you should be playing 'whatever the hell else was out that you have no interest in playing'."

Seriously, a lot of gamers need to come the fuck off of their virtual high horses.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Mr. Omega said:
You're defending CoD on the Escapist, one of the most sequel-phobic, anti-mainstream, "popular is bad (Unless it's Valve)", indie-snobby sites on the internet... that takes balls.

Anyway, the defenses have been pretty good. It's not the best defense, and I do not like the whole "CoD players are dicks" mentalities.
i share your view on this. although i don't like CoD because i played it and fail to see differences between the games after #4 (so i think it's a lazy cash-in), but at least i gave each of them a CHANCE to wow me before i wrote it off as a bad game. not that i couldn't finish them, but i didn't want to.

and in any case, i have no problem with popular things, i still get giddy over the next Halo announcement and still have a soft spot for Starcraft and still love me some Rock Band and Guitar Hero, this is the only popular series i hate, and only after i actually play the game to see if i like it or not.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
Maraveno said:
Davroth said:
Yeah, So, I didn't care for war shooter long before it was cool.
ah the new meme

Reported for being a troll since that is a troll meme
I was not aware of that. Is there a list somewhere of things I'm allowed to answer so I wont run into this situation again?

Also, what I wrote was nothing but my honest opinion.

May 5, 2010
Well, Jim, I might just have to give you a second chance. I certainly agree with your opinion of those bizarre "artistic" indie games that you came up with last week, and this week you pretty much sum up my opinion of the Call of Duty series. I hope The Escapist takes it heart.
*looks around thread*

Nope, they're just re-stating the arguments you already tackled in the video, while prentending that you didn't already tackle them in your video.

Anywho, my only complaint is that you're still doing that thing where you pretend to be an arrogant dick, which you don't have to do. I'm pretty sure most of us can watch someone talk for five minutes without needing a Yahtzee impersonation to keep our attention.

subtlefuge said:
People went back and captured Osama? That's news.
....Not really, it happened several weeks ago. Also, "killed", not "captured".

Arctarus'sCookie

May 9, 2011
Most of what was in the video was agreeable. Like you know, before you met the community, how fun it was trying to get enough kills to get the big killstreak reward. Excluding the community it is a decent game, and as Jim said "...the $15 map packs can go f*** themselves".

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Eh, I kind of see the point in what he's saying, but I feel the majority of CoD hate isn't directed towards the gameplay, but towards the franchisacide that Activision is committing with it. Most of the video is in defense of CoD4, but I never saw anyone complaining about that game, on the contrary I recall people thinking it was a refreshing breeze in the midst of the Halo craze. The hate has come in recent years as the franchise has become a symbol for publishers treating their games too much like products and not enough like games.