Jimquisition: Defending Call of Duty

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Wow, I actually liked this episode.

I had intended to not watch another Jimquisition video again, but I clicked this one due to curiosity over the subject matter. Much better than the first 2, in my opinion.

On a somewhat related note (sort of): posting the entire (alleged) synopsis for MW3 online!? Really, are people that desperate they'd go to the lengths of reading a (likely completely fabricated) rundown of the storyline?

pwnsore

Apr 6, 2010
My biggest issue with the series is that it is pretty similar. I'm on PC, and MW2's lack of dedicated servers kept me from buying it. That problem was resolved for Black Ops so I bought it, but not before asking some MW2 players what differences there were between the two. They had a hard time coming up with any.

That problem is easily resolved through not buying every version. Less easily solved is the fact that at launch on PC, Black Ops was COMPLETELY UNPLAYABLE. My fancy gaming comp could run the single-player with only a little bit of lag if I reduced the settings to make the game look considerably worse than COD 4. The multiplayer was getting about 0.5 FPS on min settings on every server. Meanwhile, the 4-year-old hardware running in the Xbox looked and ran great. The problem was resolved after several WEEKS and I could play my $60 game, but if the devs could please, you know, RUN THE GAME once or twice despite the fact that it is a port, I'm sure all us PC player's would appreciate it.

Lastly, Nazi Zombies. I have no problem with it. I's a fun game mode that adds an element of co-op to a game that is otherwise mostly about going it alone. My issue isn't with the game mode itself, but with many of the players that I talk to. They all say that Nazi Zombies is amazing and some play it more than the normal multiplayer. Then I mention that it's fun, but I prefer the L4D series. The great majority of players (I have talked to) respond that L4D is shit and NZ is way better, despite the fact that they have never played L4D and I have played both. And the fact that NZ is a bonus game while L4D is a full $50 game made by effing VALVE (who they have occasionally heard of). And the fact that L4D has more than one type of zombie each with it's own strategy for killing. And the fact that L4D has a versus mode. etc. etc. etc. I realize that I shouldn't be insulting people for their choice of game, but it frustrates me when they insist that a game series I thoroughly enjoy is shitty while knowing nothing about it.

There Jim, you asked for reasoned complaints about the game, and I made some. I still enjoy the COD series and I'm glad it exists, even if for no other reason than showing those outside the gaming community that games are a force to be reckoned with.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
AceAngel said:
I hope many people who are saying "He tries too hard" do realize his way of speaking, heaving breathing, and sporadic panting are because he is overweight, right?

When I was kid, and chubby, I had a hard time breathing easily during long conversations and such, let alone wear any Tuxedo or even try to act infront of an audience, so please people, use your head for a moment or two.
I think this guy is right on.

Who Dares Wins said:
This episode appealed to me more than any before. There was some overacting (the artist) and your valid arguments could be taken as invalid because you represent your opposition in an unfair manner, but other than that, not many complaints. Get rid of that, stop the self-praise (I know it's a joke but some people don't get jokes and they might see you as a self entitled prick) calm down and speak with a calm tone (most of the episode was like this and it was good) and you have a nice and a reasonable show on The Escapist.

Oh and great intro song.
Perhaps people are taking him the wrong way as a cultural difference. British humor is far more scathing than what we accept in North America. Look at the difference between the British and North American versions of 'The Weakest Link' for instance. I feel like maybe the audience isn't reading him as he intends? Idk just a thought.

C2Ultima

Future sovereign of Oz
Nov 6, 2010
Srdjan Tanaskovic said:
Jim just remember

Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's good *looks at Twilight*

Well come on now, a lot of the time, things get popular for a reason. Nothing ever becomes popular without some merit- wait a moment.

*Looks at Twilight again*

....I see your point....

Findlebob

Mar 24, 2011
Cod is a gd set of games, up until black opps. The point where you had to go out of your way and go on F.A.G.s just to find out what the hell was going on in the story just ruined it for me.

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
"Wheres the commentary on the stark nature of video games?"

That would be the COD4 campaign. It explored technological rationality, modernism and post-modernismin the way the individual is distanced from war reflecting are consumption of war as it happens.

It also challenges the narrative and gaming expectations of a mythological "supersoldier",
as your charchter dies experiencing the fallout (if you'll excuse the pun) of modern warfare.

People are equally (if not more) criticalal of the shallow nature of cinema, this isn't a trend only apparent in computer games.

EDIT: Jim addresses the narrative sophistication of COD4.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I still have some problems with this series right now. Obviously this is a more "controversial" episode, and I do think you are getting better at this, but there are still some greivances I have;

Your "self-made narcissist" image doesn't really help your credibility or your general image. I know that's sort of the schtick you're going for, but at least tone it down (where the "The President thanks God...for me!" thing came from, I really don't know) to a tolerable level. We've already got a lovable-narcissist wacko here, at least show some originality in it.

Another thing I found odd about this video is that you set up this whole "Pompous Artsy-Fartsy Asshole" target to base your arguments off of and yet you never even address his points. Seriously, the weird, fluffy, Mad Hatter crazy guy came in for, what, two scenes? And both times you completely ignored his arguments, however fallacious they may be (and the guy in itself is an ad homeniem, but whatever). You simply presented that guy as if we're supposed to hate the guy, but instead we end up disliking you because you're mocking people who very well may have a point, but instead you chose to grossly misrepresent them and presented a generalization. At least take his statements as a jumping off point for your arguments.

But, more on topic; See, the thing is, you've only been citing CoD4 as standards of online play and/or narrative. Now the CoD series have become extremely glorified. Seriously, if you look at the relatively tame CoD4 campaign, and compare it to the huge 'splosion-fest, conspiracy riddled Black Ops campaign, CoD4, while still pretty overblown, is much more subtle and well-crafted. I have nothing but respect for CoD4, though Modern Warfare 2 went to loopy-ville. Now it's all about making explosions after explosions with setpiece after setpiece. While that's perfectly fine to an extent, it's just been so overwhelming to see a pretty awesome series dissolve into yet another holiday blockbuster. Modern Warfare 3 seems to be straying further from the roots that you've detailed CoD4 as, as it's not just another 'splosion fest. It's not a commentary anymore, it's just another shooter.

I don't dislike the people behind Call of Duty, they may perfectly enjoy the series and if so more power to them. It is Activision that I cannot stand. I am already in a personal boycott against them until they clean up their acts, so I refuse to buy any game they have published, developed, or are affiliated with. I dislike how they run their franchises to the ground, I dislike how they handle their studios, and I dislike how the CEO handles everything else. However, if someone wants to go buy their games, go for it, I have no qualms with it. Enjoy the games, and I am perfectly sincere in saying that.

Awesome74

Jul 21, 2010
I agree almost fully with this. I've never gotten into Cod myself, but I've never understood the whole "u play cod ur so lame lol" thing. The only thing that I personally dislike about Call of Duty is that it's basically "run around the map and if you happen stumble upon an enemy, shoot him", whereas in, say, Team Fortress 2, you like, y'know, work as a Team with your other teammates. I'm not saying there can't be teamwork in Cod, it's just that there isn't much of it.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
I like CoD. It's okay. I don't think the narratives is very "well paced" though, as a general rule.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Well personally I'd rather have all the perks unlocked because I'm not playing fucking WoW. I like being able to play with all the different weapon perks without investing a huge amount of my time into unlocking each. Believe it or not I don't have enough time or find enough good connections to make these unlocks worth my while. Also I like to play most multiplayer games locally and that means that my friend who plays with me can't use any of the weapons besides the starting ones. It's just dickish. Also, I wholeheartedly agree about the map packs. They should be AT LEAST half the price. Most DLC I get is around £6-8 whereas CoD puts it at £12. Go fuck yourselves.

Also, Black Ops had a well-paced story? Could've fooled me. I thought it was singularly the most shit story for any video game ever, but I guess that's just me.

WhiteRat07

Some guy
Aug 13, 2009
I have really started to look forward to this show each week. Keep up the good work you are giving us gold!

Trig0n

Nov 9, 2010
sumanoskae said:
As a game, I don't think CoD is bad at all, it's just overrated. The problem I see with CoD is that it's approaching monopoly status. At this point, the release date of a game can literally be dominated by weather or not CoD is releasing a sequel that year.

CoD is like a sports franchise, and because of it, FPS's dominate the market. They've become the easiest and most profitable games to make, thus publishers and producers are more reluctant to back games outside of that genre.

A similar issue arises with Gears of War, there are loads of games that seem to default to 3rd person cover shooting in place of an original gameplay model.

Take Kane and Lynch or Army of Two for instance, two games that appear to have barely one original though under their belt, but were both released presumably on the grounds that they were kinda like GoW, meanwhile, talented people with great ides for games are stumped because they've never had dinner with Cliff B.
Hmmm you did make a good point on CoD's market impact, but then again so did Jim.

Off topic though: Also time to admit my little guilty pleasure. I rather liked Army of Two, both of them in fact. I liked how there was a shooter where having a partner mattered and I couldn't just solo everything. Plus I've always had an awesome relationship with my little brother, and Army of Two was the only shooter at the time where it felt like the two main characters actually cared and relied upon eachother. Just my two cents.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Trig0n said:
Does anybody know the name of the song playing during the intro and credits? I didn't see its name mentioned anywhere.
It's exactly where you'd expect it to be... on the first page of the credits.

Intro music: Drill Queen
Backing Track: It's off of FFIX

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
*blink* *blink*

In other news, Jim Sterling apparently has a white-lipstick wearing yellow-bowlered homosexual alter ego.

Pardon my while I curl up in a corner and twitch for a moment.

(twitch)

The commentary is actually fairly decent in this one. It does kind of make me want to suggest an experiment, though: make two versions of the next video, and cut out everything that's just Sterling himself speaking directly to the camera out of one (which is to say, everything that isn't really commentary on the subject.) Look at both versions, and see if anything is lost in the shorter version.

Just a thought.

sleeperhit79

Feb 6, 2009
great video and good points. Bottom line real gamers play what we like because we like it, not because someone else said it's ok for you to like it. Sadly the hardcore gamer community is in some ways more ignorant and bigger sheep than those COD players we all hate. If you ever feel like you have to justify that you like COD to anyone for whatever reason, then that person probably forgot what gaming is supposed to be about. Have fun and enjoy, that's all that matters. Even if your favorite website editors don't agree.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
while all good points

CoD is still an FPS, thus automatically black-listed from my library.

though i was unaware that liking CoD was some how a bad thing, that's :/ rather sad actually

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Godammit Jim, I love you more with every jab you take at this community of twatdonkeys.

Seriously its like he's trolling, only he makes good points, which makes said twatdonkeys even more infuriated.

In all seriousness though, people dislike being told what they enjoy is shit. This is why the elitists in the Escapist community (and other sites I won't mention) like to flock around and form circle-jerks around what is accepted as their favorite titles. Likewise, when they are told to dislike something by the hivemind, they will line up to defecate on said thing without thought.