Jimquisition: Defending Call of Duty

ImBigBob

Dec 24, 2008
It's not so much that I think CoD is a bad series, but it's far more popular than it needs to be. Yeah, Modern Warfare was a great game, and revolutionized online multiplayer. MW2...just did more of that. And Black Ops, even more of that. I mostly hate how CoD is synonymous with video games these days. Every time I tell someone I like playing games, the first thing they ask is if I like Call of Duty. Why don't I ever hear people ask about Assassin's Creed or Fallout or Red Dead Redemption? Those are all big-budget, mainstream titles with their own merits and appeals, but all I meet are people who like Call of Duty. I'm not saying everyone has to like obscure games like Shin Megami Tensei. Just, you know, put a little more variety into your gaming diet.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Got up to the point where he donned the yellow cap and acted like a gay man. I do have to say that I am straight and take offense to that stereo-type. And I am not watching another of his videos.

He mentioned Farmville. I hate Farmville for this reason: MONTHS before Farmville started I was playing an App called Farm Town. Farmville came out and was the EXACT same thing. Zynga doesn't make their own shit they blatently rip off others.
He mentioned Angry Birds. I have to say that I do not agree with it destroying gaming. Its a fun casual game to play when your trying to kill 10-15 minutes at a time.

And now to my reason why CoD is shit. Yeah the multiplayer is fun but seriously multiplayer isn't the only thing it needs. It needs a solid single player so you can play by yourself once in a while. I did enjoy the story of MW1 didn't bother with WaW thought it was too soon for another good game. Then MW2 came out and my brother got it since I didn't have a job to get the game at the time. The story was quite a bit lacking. Then there was BlOps. I purposely went out of my way to find out every spoiler about the story. Yeah story doesn't have a prayer once you've played through it once. The only thing that helps the story is its one plot twist.
That Resnov is dead and its like Fight Club.
I actually still have hopes for the CoD series because they seem to have the Multiplayer part down now hopefully they can get the single player to have an actual good story.

Faux Furry

Apr 19, 2011
Jim, Call of Duty is terrible for two reason that I'm sure that you and everyone else here, including Yahtzee, will find enlightening:

1. It's initials are COD and that's the name of a fish, therefore, as a series, it's qualities are all fishy.
2. There are no RPG elements (or rather, it lacks the most important ones, those being action points, giant swords and navel-gazing philosophical quandaries) or Nazis to kill in it.
2 1/2: This guy!
This is your mind on COD! Any Questions? (That question was rhetorical!)

Q. E. D.! Therefore, your points are invalid!

Nah, I'm joshing with you. Not only do I agree with your points, they can easily be applied to any form of entertainment at all. Good show, sir Sterling.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
I don't hate Call of Duty because it is popular or because the story can be far fetched. I don't even really hate the CoD series as I still love Call of Duty 4. I hate Modern Warfare 2 because of balance issues.

JIst00

Nov 11, 2009
On behalf of England, I would like to apologise for this cretin.

This is the first episode I've gotten through, and Jesus fucking Budda with the star of David, this guy is a douche.

Gplars

Dec 23, 2009
Dear Jim i going to try argue that call of duty while it has its good games i still find it a lack luster series other than call of duty four witch i found very fun. The fist call of duty was the first set in ww2. It was launched in 2003 and was new and interesting, then the sequel witch was good because it focused on the game from a different direction ie the European forces. Then it goes down from three with spin off after spin off set in world war 2 to the point it just stale. the after cod 4 trearc put the game back in ww2 and modern warfare 2 i just hatted because it was multi-player focused game and a small single player all so im a pc gamer so take last statement for what you will.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
I'm really digging this guy he's real escapist material I mean look how much he gets under people's skin with his. Everything. Just like Yathzee and moviebob. James will be our nice guy. Movie bob will be the nerd. Yathzee the Cynic. and now Jim our narcissist. They are the archetypes of the escapist. Kneel before them.

Couch Radish

Mar 28, 2011
Well I can't say that Call of Duty is not a absolutely horrible series (I, myself, adored CoD:MW) but I really don't like where Activision is taking the game.

And my problems with the game are (I'm limiting this to the Multiplayer):

1. The players are too bullet-squishy.

I play Team Fortress 2 and Brink, which is probably where this complaint comes from. In the CoD series, if someone is under another person's crosshairs, they're dead. Nevertheless this happens in real life, but it's important to give players a chance to fight back if they're ambushed.

So in CoD, no one really bothers to venture out in groups, because three bullets to the leg can kill you. So people usually just sit in a corner, waiting for some unlucky sort to pass by.

2. No sense of teamwork.

I never get a feeling of teamwork in CoD games. People always seem to go on their own, because there's no real way of defending your team-mates because of how easily they die (See #1)

3. Everyone looks the same.

There's no real differentiating looks between enemies and allies alike. The classes in TF2 are all easily recognizable, as you're near always able to tell what weapon they have and what team they're on (classic red/blue contrast). I can never see this in CoD games.

4. Health regeneration.

Yep, this little nugget again. Another problem with the lack of team-work is this. Medics on multiplayer games are always important, and games winning or losing can be determined by Medics. People will protect them, making an objective for both teams, helping ensure team-work.

But when you can just sit in a corner, suck your thumb for 4 seconds, and grow both your legs back, this can deter team-work and have people go own their own, not needing anyone's help.

While I'm slightly okay with it in single-player games (begrudgingly so), multiplayer games never work with health regen.

Though some health regen has worked. I like the idea of a regen armor over a squishy interior (Crysis 2, Halo, etc.).

Lenin211

Apr 22, 2011
Warlord Timmy said:
Oh god, this is my favourite video series on this site. Jim is awesome XD

You're kidding right?

To me, this show is nothing more than unintelligent ramblings on topics that everyone already understands and bad humor.

Cleariously

Mar 25, 2011
I don't think anyone has a problem with the COD games specifically. I myself don't enjoy playing war games, or very many first person shooters at all, but I played MW2 and Black Ops and they're pretty good. The thing that people don't like are people who play them. Obviously, I don't mean everyone. Most of the guys who play COD are perfectly respectable people. But the few who do nothing but yell into the mic all the time and ruin the fun for everyone else.

Another great episode, Jim. I've enjoyed all of them so far, even if others might not get the humour. I think the show is brilliant, keep it up.

MrDefo

Jun 7, 2010
This was probably the most consistently entertaining Jimquisition to date. I think you work best when you're commenting on a particular game or franchise, which isn't really adding anything to this site but it DOES add a different perspective than the rest. So keep up the good work.

T8B95

Jul 8, 2010
Zhukov said:
*sigh*

PS. Black Ops has a well paced narrative? That's the funniest thing I've heard in quite some time. CoD:MW? Sure. MW2? Eh... pushing it. Blops? Ha!
You sir, may have a drink on me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7v0V58V3Uw

Basic summary of Black Ops' storyline? BANG, BANG, RUN, HELICOPTER!

OT: When this guy makes points in the voiceovers, he comes across as reasonable and intelligent. Unfortunatly, he then comes back with the live segments, in which he seems to be trying to exploit the comical arrogance of Yahtzee and Moviebob, with none of the wit.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
I really like you, Jim, but I think perhaps you've missed the point of why Call of Duty is so (seemingly) universally panned. It's not because of overuse, or a "games r art" sentimnent. After all, Call of Duty 4 DID say something about the human condition, and made an incredible statement about nuclear weapons and war as a whole.

No. Things that make modern Call of Duty iterations bad are the declining, rushed-out quality of the singleplayer campaigns, and the fact that it comes out year after year after fucking year, an obvious cash-grab from the publisher's side, and little more than contract work on the dev's side.

Yay, the multiplayer is still as addictive as ever, but Call of Duty 4 had an INCREDIBLE single-player experience, which is what I remember above all about the game (as much fun as I had with the multi-player), and with the advent of lack of dedicated servers PC-side in MW2, to a poorly-written and paced campaign in Black Ops, the Call of Duty series, despite popularity, is of POOR QUALITY.

Here's hoping Battlefield 3 can show people how games like CoD are MEANT to be made. In the meantime, let bygones be bygones I say. There's absolutely no reason anyone says a game is shit other than THEY THINK THE GAME IS SHIT. Art for art's sake is possibly WORSE to "hipsters" than... just plain art. And Call of Duty 4 was art. Sorry, Jim.