Jimquisition: Defending Call of Duty

bluewolf

Apr 16, 2011
That video really made me think about stoping hating COD fans, the only COD fans I know are those assholes at my school who only play cod and say things like galo and cod is the only good game.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
kroldok said:
While CoD may not need defending, it's players (some of them at least) certainly do.
Every time the "kiddies" and "fratties" scream "WIN" and spew bile over all non-CoD players, everyone else screams "FAIL" and spew bile over all CoD players ("an army of millions of frat boys and 13 year old tards" as i belive they are here represented).

This is the core point of this video, that you simply cannot judge other people based on something as arbitrary as their prefered choice of entertainment, and what it mostly comes down to is a generalisation of a large group of people.
But by saying that all those people who dislike CoD are (as he puts rather derogatorily) 'artsy fartsy types' or ' just going with the trend', isn't he making broad generalized stereotypes himself? For example, as I already mentioned, I believe CoD doesn't deserve to be the best-selling game on the PC as the last 2 sequels were very poor unoptimized ports. How do I fall into any of his preset camps?

Fact is, Jim's just trolling.

Dr.Cereal1

Mar 30, 2011
TF2 was a great class based shooter and it still is...You do know hats and microtransactions were added recently right?

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
You said the CoD single player has "a well paced narrative"

I'd like to know the name of your dealer because he's got stronger stuff than what I'm using.

Also (despite my goofy hat and stupid accent) giving veteran players better weapons and better perks along with the natural skill development they get from having played the game for longer than you does alienate new players. It is truly shocking that you think it doesn't.

tunderball

Jul 10, 2010
You know what....... I think I finally get this show. Got to be honest wasn't a fan to begin with but this episode made sense and gave me a few chuckles along the way, the quality of each episode is steadily impoving too. Sure the productions very rough around the edges but that will get better in time too.

So finally its done, I'm convinced that Jims here to say and actually suprisingly pleased about it. Now that thats all sorted maybe so could start discussing the valid points he's making instead of the shows existence? Great work Jim.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Trig0n said:
sumanoskae said:
As a game, I don't think CoD is bad at all, it's just overrated. The problem I see with CoD is that it's approaching monopoly status. At this point, the release date of a game can literally be dominated by weather or not CoD is releasing a sequel that year.

CoD is like a sports franchise, and because of it, FPS's dominate the market. They've become the easiest and most profitable games to make, thus publishers and producers are more reluctant to back games outside of that genre.

A similar issue arises with Gears of War, there are loads of games that seem to default to 3rd person cover shooting in place of an original gameplay model.

Take Kane and Lynch or Army of Two for instance, two games that appear to have barely one original though under their belt, but were both released presumably on the grounds that they were kinda like GoW, meanwhile, talented people with great ides for games are stumped because they've never had dinner with Cliff B.
Hmmm you did make a good point on CoD's market impact, but then again so did Jim.

Off topic though: Also time to admit my little guilty pleasure. I rather liked Army of Two, both of them in fact. I liked how there was a shooter where having a partner mattered and I couldn't just solo everything. Plus I've always had an awesome relationship with my little brother, and Army of Two was the only shooter at the time where it felt like the two main characters actually cared and relied upon eachother. Just my two cents.
I basically agree with Jim about CoD from a pure entertainment standpoint, and yes, ,people do get way to anal about who likes what. I'm just saying, that like all overrated phenomenons and fads, CoD's existence in it's current form is a hindrance to the industry, not an asset.

From a personal standpoint, it's just kind of annoying to see people spend the only spare $60 they have on CoD, when there are so many other games that they'd find real artistic beauty and meaning in. And no, I'm not saying that based solely on other games being better in my opinion, these are people I know, I know they'd appreciate these games because I've seen them appreciate other games like them in the past, before they started blowing all their money on CoD.

It's also annoying because people will play it and then assume that games never get any better. It's frustrating to really hit it off with someone who seems really interested in game design and then ask them what kinds of games they take inspiration from, and then say "I'm like, level 9000 in Black Ops! 8D" "Kay, what else do you play" "Uhh, well... Halo is cool and so's Gears of War" "So what do you think the political significance of the nuke scene was in Modern Warfare?" "...Huh?". They aren't bad people, it's just frustrating to have the medium underestimated so much.

Naturality

Feb 23, 2010
Lack of innovation
Boring level design
Buggier than most games
Dull and monotonous
Monotonous and dull
Poor level design
Poorly balanced
Not particularly interesting.

This list not only contains everything I dislike about Modern Warfare (not COD, just MW), but it also is those things itself. Meta-dislike.

The game has absolutely no special features, but it has plenty of detractors. It is the archetype of a generic, mediocre game, yet it is extremely popular. The love for the game is far beyond the love for a standard game, and so is the hatred. And rightly so. There are those who never cease to gush about how "great" the game is, so it is only correct that someone is there to point out that, no, in fact, the game isn't a revolution.

If MW is considered to be the defining game of this generation, then it needs to stand up to much harsher criticism than your standard $40 budget game.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
I don't always agree with Jim Sterling on what he says, but I have to say I completely agree with this episode. I like CoD, I think it needs a lot of improvements, but I like it, and the people who troll it to no end get on my nerves.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
Mr. Omega said:
You're defending CoD on the Escapist, one of the most sequel-phobic, anti-mainstream, "popular is bad (Unless it's Valve)", indie-snobby sites on the internet... that takes balls.
But of course, you're here too. Are you one of them or a shining exception to the flaws that every other member carries?

Groundchuck

Apr 16, 2011
Well i posted on all his other videos, so their you go Jim, your slowly creeping up on Movie Bob as my third favorite show ( I just consider both of Bob's shows as one).... But thats behind Extra Credit and the King, Yahtzee.

And to the dude who used a Pokemon reference to describe the difference between Long time Quake players to new players being different then CoD, i think I'm about to stroke out, WTF?

Moeez

May 28, 2009
I don't play multiplayer, so my problems are with the DESIGN of the single-player campaign for ALL Call of Duty games.

It always feels like a shooting gallery simulator from way back, mostly due to the infinitely respawning enemies and their brandead AI. There's barely any AI to the enemies to bring any challenge compared to most other shooters (Halo, FEAR). The scripting is always suspect, and the inclusion of allies baffles me when they're not efficient and get in your way. The story is so rushed through so many different characters that I lose interest or investment, a by-product of being an action movie experience.

Keldon888

Apr 25, 2009
I don't believe the complaints about better weapons and such, because lets face it in blops the game begins and ends with the famas and 4 began and ended with the m16.

I don't like Blop's progression to close quarter rapid fire weapons, but that's prefrence.

I wonder though how you can defend the story. It's so painfully generic. Granted the nuke scene was impressive, but that was one strong scene in over a half dozen games. The story is painfully obvious to the point where I walked in on my roomate playing blops, watched him play for like 10 minutes one the first few levels then predicted the entire story perfectly.

You can enjoy the story sure, but its nothing special at all.

dashiz94

Apr 14, 2009
Call of Duty Modern Warfare, it's sequel, and BLACK OPS all had WELL PACED stories.

Hold the fuck on, Black Ops started with you getting severe elctro shock torture then has you flashback to Cuba where, in the literal span of 7 minutes, someone's hand gets stabbed, a metric ton of police officers show up, and you're already in a car doing a high speed chase with explosions going on around you.

Call of Duty, besides the first Modern Warfare, never did pacing right. The reason the "getting nuked" sequence in the first one was so visceral was because it was treated viscerally. You see a huge explosion, blackout, you then wake up in a completely destroyed city, your dead comrades around you, and crawl and breathe your last breath, watching as a building collapses in the distance. Fade to white.

THAT is narrative pacing. What MW2 and Black Ops does is the typical B-rate action movie story, i.e. make up some generic formulated plot to justify all the explosions and set pieces going on.

If you want TRUE pacing regarding set pieces, go and rent Crysis 2.

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
Good argument. Honestly I'm not a COD fan cause I found online too hard to get into and I dislike realistic games over all. Still I see the appeal there is in the series but I'm happy with my TF2.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Balobo said:
Mr. Omega said:
You're defending CoD on the Escapist, one of the most sequel-phobic, anti-mainstream, "popular is bad (Unless it's Valve)", indie-snobby sites on the internet... that takes balls.
But of course, you're here too. Are you one of them or a shining exception to the flaws that every other member carries?
Yes, I was generalizing, and yes, I'm a part of the problem in some of those regards, and there are exceptions, but the main point, defending CoD on this site being a bad thing, sure seems to be standing... the rest was just me venting about how I thought (and for the most part have been right about) how the comments were going to go.