Jimquisition: Defending Call of Duty

thublihnk

Jul 24, 2009
I think the online community is atrocious (as it is with MOST games) and I find any glorification of militarism and imperialism both something I'm morally against and don't find interesting at all.

Happy?

Mendaceum

Jan 18, 2011
I dislike COD because it is popular. I will admit to this. However, I dislike it, not because I simply hate on the mainstream, but because, due to it's massive popularity, it infects "My" niche.

I'm dedicated RPG player, who's been playing Rpgs for years. The only shooters I play are Team Fortress 2, and ME2, and ME is an Rpg hybrid. Why I hate COD is because it makes other developers (read:Bioware) explicitly emulate gameplay aspects. (Read:Awesomebutton DA2) in attempt to attract some of COD's audience.

TL:DR *Waves cane grumpily* "Get your FPS off my RPG lawn!"

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
Yeah, there was a lot about CoD4 that I really liked, but I haven't bought a CoD game after that because I decided to try my best to avoid giving Activision any of my money. I don't think I'm poorer for the decision. Word on the street is that they're degrading in quality anyway, but I have nothing against the series in and of itself. (I still have fond memories of the CoD1 Russian campaign.)

Game devs need to cool it on the unlocks, though. I think Crysis 2 went too far when I was forced to play my least liked game type (equivalent of Deathmatch/Team Deathmatch) in order to unlock objective-based game types. I had borrowed that game and was barely able to play anything but Team/Deathmatch.

That said, I do consider unlocks to be a lesser evil when compared to the old Quake-style of weapons-on-the-ground. Honestly, Counter-Strike probably handled that the best, and I'm a bit surprised no one (not one) is emulating that.

Reptiloid

Nov 10, 2010
My main beef with the "new" CoD is the way the games dramatically changed. As a long time fan of CoD 1-3, I was quite saddened to see what direction it was going in.

The original trilogy was primarily single player games, with multiplayer just being an extra feature for those interested. But the new ones have been way too multiplayer focused, and it shows clearly that the single player campaign has suffered for it.

On it's own merits it might not be too bad, but Modern Warfare and beyond can never hold a candle to the original in terms of story, writing, pacing, leveldesign and most importantly, gameplay.

neilsaccount

Jun 17, 2009
Ukomba said:
He seems awfully but sore over this.
He's not sore, he is just tired of people ragging on call of duty for no good reason. If people were talking crap about the games you like, I'm sure you would be doing the same. Besides, he was being calm and his points were valid for what he was trying to say.

Samus Aaron

Apr 3, 2010
Mantonio said:
It's not the fact that it's a huge thing ALONE that makes it shit. It's the fact that (like you said) because it is so big, so many other companies try to emulate it.
Wait, what? So because OTHER games suck that try to emulate COD, COD itself sucks regardless of its own merits? Explain to me how that works, because I just don't follow your logic.

neilsaccount

Jun 17, 2009
Neogeta said:
Mr. Omega said:
You're defending CoD on the Escapist, one of the most sequel-phobic, anti-mainstream, "popular is bad (Unless it's Valve)", indie-snobby sites on the internet... that takes balls.

Anyway, the defenses have been pretty good. It's not the best defense, but it's good. And I do not like the whole "CoD players are dicks" mentalities.
+100000000000

Notice he didn't say any of that was but, but it is so true.
Second that. I can see why people wouldn't like the games but dont discriminate others because they like them.

kroldok

Dec 26, 2010
Weasker said:
Because you're not funny and especially not funny when you praise yourself.
And fat. Work out.
.... And wears a stupid tie. Buy a collar.
And wears stupid shades. Get a bandana.
And is white. Plastic surgery, here we come.

This is actually what he talks about for most of the video, arbitrary hatred towards groups of people, like people who hate other people for enjoying CoD, or because they are fat, or because they wears shades, or because.... well you get it.

He never actually states that all people who dislike CoD are wrong, he states that he likes it, and an unfortunate amount of people who dislike it do so because it is popular and thus do not base their opinion on the merits of the games themselves (from my experience i would say there is a decent chance this is true).

And with that comes the people who not only hate the game, but extend this hate towards the players themselves, actual people who in no kind of way deserve being treated like garbage because they play CoD, at least not more than you or I deserve to be treated like garbage because we play videogames, wether it's CoD or Braid.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
By far this is the best video I've seen. The "holier than thou" mentality seems to have been quieted during the videos, and the point is quite valid. Kudos, from at least me, for making the videos more orignal and entertaining, rather than just someone ranting about the same drivle every guy is talking about

On the subject of the video, I agree, yet disagree. On one hand, I enjoy CoD multiplayer. It's my go-to online game, and I loved MW2, and enjoy Blops. However, the stories are where I can disagree on. I stand by this statement, I think that the CoD4 single player is the best campaign I have ever played in a shooter. It was well paced, it was gritty, challenging, yet I could beat it. And most of all, it was fun. I loved the characters, I loved the stories, and I thought that while the opening was a bit drawn out, stuck in that car being driven around and then shot was a strong opening.

HOWEVER, MW2, while an okay single player, was just so...well it wasn't horrible, but it was so-so, average, run of the mill. It wasn't the worst ever, but it didn't compare to CoD4. I haven't played Blops, but from what I've heard it isn't the best either.

I will also say I reFUSE to buy a CoD game new anymore, because while yes, the multiplayer is quite polished and fun, it's not enough. I'm not going to pay full price for half a game, with a shorter campaign the popcorn to the multiplayer's movie. Half price, yes, full price, no.

CoD hate is odd, but it's more of the lack of story that bothers me rather than the game itself

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
This was only my first time watching it. I actually agreed with alot of what he said. I dont like him though. He annoys me...but he was right.

I actually never considered compairing the idea of being higher leveled in Cod to just knowing all the weapon spots in other types of shooters.

And I like CoD...I just hate the players. (CoD2 is the best though)

Peter Donaldson

Jan 9, 2011
I hat how people complain about the cursing squeakers, when it comes to COD. I mean, there is a mute button you can use quickly in a match. Is this really that hard people? Just go to the player list and use the d-pad to pick the player and press the x button to mute them (I assume its the square button on ps3). Annoying kid problem solved.

Rubisco

Sep 10, 2008
Some points were well made... But somehow i just don't care for how the message is "sent", i guess :(

Oh well i guess i'll check it again next week just for the awesome intro music :p

klausaidon

Aug 4, 2009
diebane said:
I agree with you, Jim, except for one statement:

I dislike the advantages (more perks, weapons, etc.) an experienced player has. You covered this in the video and stated that it was not any different than an experienced player in i.e. Quake. I disagree.

A player (let's call him Dave) that gets wrecked in Quake because of him not knowing where the weapons are is going to want to change that by, for example, looking it up on the internet. If Dave still gets wrecked after that, it is the experience of the better player that gives him the advantage over Dave.

If Dave played Call of Duty, weapon spawn locations don't matter too much (except for some FFA gametypes). Of course, Dave gets wrecked. But this time he can't do anything about that because the advantages of the other players are not (only) based on knowledge (weapon spawns) and game experience, but gametime, too. Sure, if Dave is bad at FPSs he gets wrecked no matter what, but Perks/Weapons/Killstreaks are something that he can't do anything about even if he is decent at gaming.

I hope you get my point.

mfG diiebane

EDIT: Also, I don't buy in the hatred towards younger gamers. I'm sure most of us have played games before we were legally allowed to. What gives us the right to deny those players the game? People who bash little kids for playing CoD (and other games) are most likely Hypocrits.
Actually, and I'm a bit disappointed Jim didn't point this out, even the perks don't matter that much, because of the fact that the perks you START with, are not worse then the perks you will unlock. You can very easily top a game at level 1, against a room full of top level players, if you're good. It helps to have some of the later unlocks, but only a little. In fact, I sometimes feel like I do a little better when I reset back to level one, and reintroduce myself to some of the more basic set ups, because along the way I forget how useful something in the default class is. I find this set up to also encourage more variety in a game, as you'll see everyone using a different set up. And yes, although there are some weapons that are used more then others, you still see a nice variety. Unlike everyone rushing to the rocket launchers, like Jim said, and the game turning into a rocket battle.
Don't get me wrong though, I think Quake is a fun game. But I see them as two different types of games, that don't need to be compared to one another.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Well, Jim, you did it.

You finally made me really laugh. Congratulations on that!

You came of as sarcastic rather than vain, which worked in your advantage.

But yes, CoD players are to diverse to be truly sterotyped.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
This one pissed me off. First of all, comparing game genres with beverages is pure stupid. COD is graphically polished and multiplayer is well set-up. It is also fun (except when it becomes obsessively competitive). But thats it. It does not have good story line or narration, no characters with unique and interesting personalities. Not a single character one can care for. There are lots of things it lacks. But thats because its core is the multiplayer. Secondly, no story is NOT okey in COD series. War element includes pretty much every human emotion possible meaning so much can be achieved regarding plot and character building. But instead they boil it down to basic shooting with zero consequences. And lastly, maybe COD has decent individualization for an FPS, wont argue with that. But it will never even compare to individualization of a quality RPG or MMO.

P.S. Though you try to raise good points in your videos, i wish you were serious about them like Extra Credit. Those dumb, blunt jokes ruin the whole credibility.

klausaidon

Aug 4, 2009
Peter Donaldson said:
I hat how people complain about the cursing squeakers, when it comes to COD. I mean, there is a mute button you can use quickly in a match. Is this really that hard people? Just go to the player list and use the d-pad to pick the player and press the x button to mute them (I assume its the square button on ps3). Annoying kid problem solved.
Agreed, though sadly I find some of the most annoying squeakers, the one who are trying to be annoying, tend to do so during the loading screen, when you can't mute them. A problem I really wish they would fix...

Stravant

May 14, 2011
I really have only one thing to say to all the idiot fanboys arguing over which games are better when comparing things like Halo, Battlefield, Call of Duty, etc.

They're more or less all good games, they just appeal to different audiences.