Jimquisition: Dumbing Down for the Filthy Casuals

YCRanger

Jul 31, 2011
MichaelMaverick said:
Adding an easy mode to Dark Souls DOES harm it, because the high difficulty is the very core of the experience and everything else is complementary, and it DOES harm everyone, because merely having the option of NOT exposing yourself to that grueling challenge destroys the experience utterly and misses the point entirely. After a while of getting your arse kicked you won't be able to "ignore" the easy mode, you'd be a fool otherwise to make it harder for yourself when you don't HAVE to. Except sometimes being FORCED to do certain stuff, or doing it in a particular way, is what makes it so enriching. Sometimes you find yourself enjoying a situation because you were pushed into it, otherwise you'd never willingly get into it. This is how human psychology works.
And so forth . . .
You nailed the point there good sir. Once again Jim misses the point and simply calls everyone else who doesn't agree elitist and attacks their character. It's starting to get old

Mortrialus

Jan 23, 2010
babinro said:
I agree 100% that games should offer easy/very easy/casual modes so any level of player should be able to experience nearly all content.

But this video seemed to miss the mark in terms of what I was expecting. I had really hoped Jim was going to address the concern of simplified mechanics. Several 'elitist' gamers scorned Dragon Age 2 for this.

Do you feel streamlining mechanics to make a game more accessible is a good thing or bad?
I'm 100% in favor of getting rid of tedious systems that aren't necessary for a good game play experience.
DA2 is fine by me. Diablo 3 dropping skill tree's is also fine by me.

Others...and not a minority either, feel these 'simplifications' can ruin the games entirely.

Curious what Jim's take would be on that issue.
I disagree with the idea that EVERY game should offer modal difficulty.

As far as simplifying mechanics, again it's a case by case basis. In Demon's Souls, there were stats called item burden and equip burden. Your max item burden was determined by the same stat that governed your players HP. Equip burden is governed by the same stat that governs your stamina. Item burden governs how much stuff you can carry in total and you cannot go over your item limit. This means that you had to make frequent visits back to the hubworld to bank your stuff. Equip burden determines how much weight your character's equipped items can be. The less equip burden you use, the faster you moves and dodges.

Dark Souls did away with item burden entirely. It also combined this with a world very reminiscent of the Metroid series; a huge nonlinear world filled with branching paths and hidden passages. The lack of item burden combined with the much heavier focus on exploration was a huge improvement in my opinion.

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
Sorry I couldn't make a short response. I tried.

Chess is a challenging game to master and a lot of fun for the people who want to put in the work. There are clicks and clubs that enjoy being exclusive to the game as well. Checkers is an easier game loosely based on Chess. It's casual form of the game being easier to set up and play, and a winner can be assured pretty quick.

That is kind of how video games can be divided. Dark Souls and Ninja Gaiden is a lot like Chess (in class) and something like The Reckoning or the Assassin's Creed games would be like Checkers to a gamer.

In the case of Dark Souls, it's a one of a kind experience that sets players apart. The game play and the unwrapping of it's story draws a line in the sand for many gamers. It becomes a club of sorts. If anyone can do it, then "no" it's not as special and "yes" it would take away from the superficial spirit of the community. The ego and competitiveness amongst peers is okay and very natural. I do love the fact that I am one of two in my circle of friends that have mastered this game while the others have given up to go play Dishonored.

It does no good for either side of the argument to insult each other. There are Chess games and there are Checker games both are fun but can't mix. If you removed some of the rules from Chess than it may not be enjoyed by the people who play it and the same goes for Checkers in regard to adding rules. You don't want to add a hard mode to games like Assassins Creed even though so many of us complain about it being too easy. I stopped playing the series after I completed the second one... because it was so easy. Dark Souls is a Chess type of game, enjoyed by people like me. So, in that regard that's why other DKS players were so upset about that news.

VyceVictus

Dec 10, 2012
Arakasi said:
I just want to be able to get somewhere in the fucking game I payed good money for.
I currently find it as inaccessable and boring as those old arcade games where you simply encounter more and more difficult foes.
I want to see the landscapes, the aesthetics, the amazing bosses, I could not give a damn about challenge in this type of game, it is not my forte.

In short, shut the fuck up you whining bitches, I own the game, I want to see what it has, and if I can do that with an easy mode, I'll all for it.
Sounds like you would be better off playing Darksiders II. Which is an excellent game, thats not an insult.
I own both Dark Souls and Darksiders, and although I was able to complete the very first special challenge (getting the asylum demon's hammer) it ultimately wasn't for me. I dont regret not enjoying the difficult level design, but that combined with the nebulous mechanics of the soul system turned me off. I agree that the game shouldn't have to change its fundamental mechanics, but I wouldn't see anything wrong with like an add on assist (like familiars that point things out Castlevania style or what have you.) As someone just mentioned, you shouldn't go to an art film expecting fast paced explosions. On the other hand, if I'm watching something like a foreign film or anime, subtitles or sub-notes that explain certain idioms or background information certainly wouldn't hurt (provided they are optional of course).

Fluffythepoo

Sep 29, 2011
Just a minor point: casuals are far cleaner people than regular gamers, they also smell nicer (most likely as a result of their more regular shower schedules)

Elois

Dec 10, 2012
VyceVictus said:
Arakasi said:
I just want to be able to get somewhere in the fucking game I payed good money for.
I currently find it as inaccessable and boring as those old arcade games where you simply encounter more and more difficult foes.
I want to see the landscapes, the aesthetics, the amazing bosses, I could not give a damn about challenge in this type of game, it is not my forte.

In short, shut the fuck up you whining bitches, I own the game, I want to see what it has, and if I can do that with an easy mode, I'll all for it.
Sounds like you would be better off playing Darksiders II. Which is an excellent game, thats not an insult.
I own both Dark Souls and Darksiders, and although I was able to complete the very first special challenge (getting the asylum demon's hammer) it ultimately wasn't for me. I dont regret not enjoying the difficult level design, but that combined with the nebulous mechanics of the soul system turned me off. I agree that the game shouldn't have to change its fundamental mechanics, but I wouldn't see anything wrong with like an add on assist (like familiars that point things out Castlevania style or what have you.) As someone just mentioned, you shouldn't go to an art film expecting fast paced explosions. On the other hand, if I'm watching something like a foreign film or anime, subtitles or sub-notes that explain certain idioms or background information certainly wouldn't hurt (provided they are optional of course).
The ting is that there is something nearly exactly as you described in the game already. you can summon players to help you past difficult levels or assist with bosses. If you are having a lot of trouble making it past the sewers or blighttown or something just look for a sign and get help. People who bother to put a sign down for the hardest levels generally know exactly how to help you.

I used to show people exactly where the invisible platforms are in the crystal caves, for instance.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
doggie015 said:
Nothing much to say here except thank god for someone with some [REDACTED] common sense! If you pay $60+ for a game you SHOULD be able to get your money's worth by being able to complete the game!
Not when a game is advertised as brutally hard, even so far as it's slogan is literally "PREPARE TO DIE."

Then there is NO excuse to go into the game expecting an easy mode. They warned you, and you didn't listen.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
The theory that easier modes for games don't have to effect hardcore gamers is one i used to hold but no longer do.

Nintendo's approach look brilliant for that particular game.

Dark souls;

There is online play; do easy mode and dark souls mode fight each other? Won't easy mode have an advantage if they can get access to better weapons by killing side quest bosses earlier?

Mass effect 3;

I initially said look 3 modes ;action, rpg and story. This is brilliant they won't streamline the game then for rpg mode.
But I was wrong, and they did.

Hitman absolution;

radar i can't turn off unless it's on purist which was shoved on last minute so the game isn't balanced on it anyway

Easier modes for games don't have to mess it up for hardcore players. But the alarm bells start ringing because the approach a lot of developers take messes it up in most cases.

The streamlined systems for most games can't be turned off because it's part of the game so that is also an automatic fail.

Deus ex: HR wasn't too bad. 'Turn off highlight objects' on any difficulty. All of a sudden I have to explore a bit more rather then see what highlights from afar

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
Korten12 said:
How about you realize the game is not for you? Like another poster pointed out the games marketing is "PREPARE TO DIE."

That means your going in for a beating. If they were to make an easy mode, they would have to change all of the levels (not just stats), and remove what makes Dark Souls unique. Just raising stats wouldn't make some of the traps, and levels any easier because they aren't designed to be played easy.

So don't ***** at the game for not having an easy mode, when it was MARKETED to not have one and already announced not to have one. It's like going to an art movie and complaining it doesn't have enough action and that it should change so that it has explosions so you don't get bored and can see the whole movie.

Dark Soul's is a niche, it shouldn't have to accomadate others because they aren't patience enough to beat the game and play it as intended.
Game isn't for me? That's cool, so how exactly do I get my money back then?

Oh, I see - I can't.

When I buy something for as much money as a Video Game, I expect to be able to get something out of it. When I don't get anything out of it, like Dark Souls, I start thinking that the designer needs to fix this problem. I am not wrong in wanting to get enjoyment out of a game that I paid money for, and which I can't send back.

I rented Dark Souls from a Red Box for a day, the opening areas were difficult but fun so I decided on buying it. As I continued onward, everything fun about the game dribbled away to be replaced by aggravation and tedium. I eventually had to quit because it became too boring to bother with.

Of course, almost all of my problems could've been solved if the game got rid of those dumb-ass white magical airlocks so that I could use the terrain to my advantage instead of going "whelp, here's an area you've never been to before - now fight this stupidly hard creature for my amusement."

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Sidney Buit said:
Korten12 said:
How about you realize the game is not for you? Like another poster pointed out the games marketing is "PREPARE TO DIE."

That means your going in for a beating. If they were to make an easy mode, they would have to change all of the levels (not just stats), and remove what makes Dark Souls unique. Just raising stats wouldn't make some of the traps, and levels any easier because they aren't designed to be played easy.

So don't ***** at the game for not having an easy mode, when it was MARKETED to not have one and already announced not to have one. It's like going to an art movie and complaining it doesn't have enough action and that it should change so that it has explosions so you don't get bored and can see the whole movie.

Dark Soul's is a niche, it shouldn't have to accomadate others because they aren't patience enough to beat the game and play it as intended.

Oh, I see - I can't.

When I buy something for as much money as a Video Game, I expect to be able to get something out of it. When I don't get anything out of it, like Dark Souls, I start thinking that the designer needs to fix this problem. I am not wrong in wanting to get enjoyment out of a game that I paid money for, and which I can't send back.

I rented Dark Souls from a Red Box for a day, the opening areas were difficult but fun so I decided on buying it. As I continued onward, everything fun about the game dribbled away to be replaced by aggravation and tedium. I eventually had to quit because it became too boring to bother with.

Of course, almost all of my problems could've been solved if the game got rid of those dumb-ass white magical airlocks so that I could use the terrain to my advantage instead of going "whelp, here's an area you've never been to before - now fight this stupidly hard creature for my amusement."
Then it's your own fault. They didn't make the game wrong, YOU aren't it's target audiance. Same with books and movies, they have genre's and subgenre's for a reason. Not everything appeals to everyone and Dark Soul's isn't for you. It's not the developers fault, it's your own fault. We have the internet you can google these things, you can see whether or not it's for you. If you did, still bought it and then blamed the developers. You have only yourself to blame.

Also how does "PREPARE TO DIE," hell the PC version is literally called: DARK SOULS: PREPARE TO DIE EDITION, = Must have an easy mode? If it did, they wouldn't have advertised it as such.

Elois

Dec 10, 2012
Sidney Buit said:

Oh, I see - I can't.

Your poor impulse control and apparent disregard for your expendable income is no reason for a niche game to appeal to you just because you couldn't play it. Its a silly self entitled argument that makes no sense.

Everything about the marketing that went into this game explained that it would be very challenging and not for everyone, its your own fault you didn't listen.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Undeadpool said:
They do release those. They're called "edited for TV versions." And much like with that, I fail to see how the existence of a completely optional setting hinders your enjoyment in the slightest. It's like complaining that PC games still include 640x480 settings despite you owning a bleeding-edge graphics machine.
I'm using a more extreme example with film, but fair cop nonetheless.

Plus you're right, it doesn't hinder my experience, it just hinders theirs, which is a shame.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Elois said:
anthony87 said:
Don't like Easy Mode? Don't play Easy Mode.

Why exactly isn't that obvious?
This would be apparent if you read the thread.
I read the thread. In doing so I saw someone mention an excellent point about Bayonetta. That game is pretty damn difficult while the easiest mode actually performs the combos for you allowing you to progress with little to no effort. This ridiculously easy mode doesn't take away from the game or the challenge of the harder modes at all. I prefer the harder modes, therefore I play the harder modes.

Same with Dark Souls. If there was an easier mode, I'd ignore it.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Regardless of defending a game by claiming it's difficulty mode is the one sole selling point for the entire game, I for one welcome our new Easy mode overlords.

In all honesty I'm not even mad because:
1)It's just a video game and there's no reason to smack other people into oblivion because you feel your game is being tainted

2)If you feel you can't get over and accept the fact some people want to play on Easy then you really need to play other games or maybe just go outside for some fresh air and realise people have different preferences and no matter what excuse you try to pull out to deny them of their preference you won't ever win unless you dictate what you want them to do which then renders individual choices moot and useless.

And as a last heads up if you decide to quote me and try to defeat what I just said then I'll have to tell you now you won't see any change and it will only be a waste of your time in doing so, so please think deeply and realise that nothing will change the outcome of my viewpoint.

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
Korten12 said:
Then it's your own fault. They didn't make the game wrong, YOU aren't it's target audiance. Same with books and movies, they have genre's and subgenre's for a reason. Not everything appeals to everyone and Dark Soul's isn't for you. It's not the developers fault, it's your own fault. We have the internet you can google these things, you can see whether or not it's for you. If you did, still bought it and then blamed the developers. You have only yourself to blame.
That's fine, they didn't make the game for me. So, who do I see about returning the game from an unsatisfied customer? Nobody? Eat Shit and Die Sidmen, we have your money Muhahaha, you say?

Well, I hope your niche market can afford to keep your doors open - because you sure as hell are no ambassador.

Korten12 said:
Also how does "PREPARE TO DIE," hell the PC version is literally called: DARK SOULS: PREPARE TO DIE EDITION, = Must have an easy mode? If it did, they wouldn't have advertised it as such.
I don't think I once mentioned an easy mode... That was you. If they wanted to be honest with their advertisements, they would've said "prepare to die, then grind your way through the same shitty level a dozen times before you get to the incredibly hard boss fight that pops out of nowhere and which we give you literally no time to prepare for."

Seeing an architecturally neat area is fun. Running through the same area hundreds of times, fighting the same enemies in the same places, is not - it makes me want to grab all the corpses and lock them in a cupboard so they don't just stand back up.

Elois said:
Also, the white fog doors only exist the first time you pass by them if they aren't there for a boss fight.
I am fully aware of this, I'd gotten through what I imagine was 1/2 the game before eventually quitting, because yet another boss fight came out of the blue and forced me to run through the same boring ass area to get back to him because I wasn't clairvoyant enough to know that this billowing white cloud was one of the ones that led to a Boss Fight and not one of the pointless ones that just opened a new area.

The game definitely had redeeming qualities, the skill needed to beat random mooks was a welcome change, but its reliance on grinding through the same areas over and over to get to the area you died in (to pad out the runtime) was its doom.

Elois

Dec 10, 2012
Sidney Buit said:
I don't think I once mentioned an easy mode... That was you. If they wanted to be honest with their advertisements, they would've said "prepare to die, then grind your way through the same shitty level a dozen times before you get to the incredibly hard boss fight that pops out of nowhere and which we give you literally no time to prepare for."

Seeing an architecturally neat area is fun. Running through the same area hundreds of times, fighting the same enemies in the same places, is not - it makes me want to grab all the corpses and lock them in a cupboard so they don't just stand back up.

Elois said:
Also, the white fog doors only exist the first time you pass by them if they aren't there for a boss fight.
I am fully aware of this, I'd gotten through what I imagine was 1/2 the game before eventually quitting, because yet another boss fight came out of the blue and forced me to run through the same boring ass area to get back to him because I wasn't clairvoyant enough to know that this billowing white cloud was one of the ones that led to a Boss Fight and not one of the pointless ones that just opened a new area.

The game definitely had redeeming qualities, the skill needed to beat random mooks was a welcome change, but its reliance on grinding through the same areas over and over to get to the area you died in (to pad out the runtime) was its doom.
I feel like that is a more than legitimate complaint, you should have started with that. That is one of the most valid reasons for not liking the game I have ever seen.

I think we assumed you wanted an easy mode added because that is what the topic is about and you posted about wanting your monies worth out of something you bought and we connected the 2 dots. So sorry for snarking at you over a miss-communication. I see worse but similar gripes all the time and sometimes just knee-jerk one of the many responses I've had to use.

Still, this;

Not helping us communicate.

Having to walk all the way back to the boss can be annoying and disheartening at times in several areas. Blighttown comes to mind, so does the catacombs and the tomb of giants..

Deathmageddon

Nov 1, 2011
The government shouldn't be involved in the business of marriage at all. That's what's causing problems, not differences in opinion about morality. Civil unions for everyone!