Jimquisition: Dynasty Warriors Is The Citizen Kane Of Gaming

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Dynasty Warriors Is The Citizen Kane Of Gaming

Drunk with power, Jim Sterling abuses his position to start sneaking out some of his more ruinous opinions. In this episode, he divulges his love for Dynasty Warriors and somehow thinks he'll get away with it. Will he inspire others to confess their secret shame, or will he bring pitchforks and torches to his door?

Watch Video

Draconalis

Sep 11, 2008
I was unaware of this impression that DW sucked...

I too have enjoyed the DW series since the DW3, and have purchased every one since release... (gods 6 sucked...)

Edit:

I really wanted to find a clip to add to the greatest voice acting ever... but I am left with only quotes...

Who can forget, "We shall stop them dead"?

Also... Zhang He is one of my favorite characters, 2nd only to Cao Cao himself.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Thank God for more Jim!!

Great episode, I laughed my ass off! Mario is a button masher, and Dynasty warriors will never be the same for me. I may go get me a copy on pay day, now that I look at it in a different light. Which one to start with tho... hmm... I played a demo for one (not sure which) and wasn't that impressed. I'll look to the bargain bin.

Oh yeah: JIM WINS!

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
I haven't played a DW game since the first of the Gundam offshoots. It might be time to get reacquainted with the series.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
I tried out a demo for a DW game. I didn't like it.

But I may try out another one now, just to see if it's really as fun as you say it is.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
My beef with Dynasty Warriors is just that it is repetitive. I think that's what people mean when they say that Dynasty Warriors is a button masher.

Contra is not repetitive. And neither is Super Mario Bros. But I can understand if you like it.

Though, Koei has done not a damn thing to win me over. And I've tried. Oh, how I've tried to get into their style of games. But almost every one of their titles are either sub par or just downright boring.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
good points as usual. I must say, after yahtzee, I think that this has become my favourite show on the escapist. Thank bhuddah for Jim

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Yes Dynasty Warriors is therapeutic, but its still shallow shovelware.

Im definately one of the haters but its not because I dont like the game its because I hate what Koei have done with the series, released the same game year in year out with an everincreasing number of minor but often ridiculous changes.

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
You went a little insane during this episode Jim. I don't know if I should be calling you a psychiatrist or a priest.

But good episode none-the-less.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
He kinda went insane in this episode but I agree. I wouldn't call it the citizen Kane of gaming but I love Dynasty warriors although I haven't bought any of the recent titles sadly.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
GeneralFungi said:
You went a little insane during this episode Jim. I don't know if I should be calling you a psychiatrist or a priest.

But good episode none-the-less.
Why not both? Just to be safe.

lol

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
You should go insane more often. Yeah I like dynasty warriors too, and the often overlooked Bladestorm. Good hacking fun.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
EverythingIncredible said:
My beef with Dynasty Warriors is just that it is repetitive.
It's no more repetitive than most sports and shooter titles, though. and that was part of Jim's point, really. not to mention, the button-mashing elements of a LOT of action games these days. Prototype or God of War could have the same attribution with the same amount of honesty to the claims.

I wouldn't call it the Citizen Kane, but certainly it's the equivalent of your standard Kung Fu flick. I unabashedly enjoy myself a good beat-em-up in the same way I enjoy a solid martial arts flick, even if the movie is otherwise...Lacking. Do people get kicked and punched a lot? Yes? Good.

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
I've loved the DW series since 3 as well. The zen like state you can enter while mowing down the 300 soldier just can't be described. I prefer the Gundam versions myself but they're all good... except DW6. That sucked! I prefered the PS One original over DW6.

People say it's repetitive... yes it is but it's never really boring unless you play for hours on end. People say it's a button masher... all games that aren't shooter or puzzle games are button mashers, live with it! People say it's just the same game with new box art... It's not unlike Call Of Duty and Battlefield and EVERY SPORTS GAME!

I admit it's not for everyone but it's not as bad as it's accused of being. I find it hard to agree that it's the Citizen Kane of gaming.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
It's no more repetitive than most sports and shooter titles, though. and that was part of Jim's point, really. not to mention, the button-mashing elements of a LOT of action games these days. Prototype or God of War could have the same attribution with the same amount of honesty to the claims.

I wouldn't call it the Citizen Kane, but certainly it's the equivalent of your standard Kung Fu flick. I unabashedly enjoy myself a good beat-em-up in the same way I enjoy a solid martial arts flick, even if the movie is otherwise...Lacking. Do people get kicked and punched a lot? Yes? Good.
Personally I haven't played a sports or a shooter title in a long time. So I can't speak on that.

Aug 1, 2010
Nice troll title there Jim...

OT: I would love to give it a try, but from what I have seen, I really can't stand the art design. Not sure if that will ruin THESE games for me, but it has in the past.

rancher of monsters

Oct 31, 2010
I've been with Dynasty warriors since it was a one on one fighting game and loved it all the way. Granted the button mashing might be a little repetitive, but the same could be said for a lot of great games, Kingdom Hearts anyone? The only major problem I have is that it's basically the same story told over and over again. Granted, they do what they can to spice up each battle and the game is tied to history, but there's only so many times you can set fire to Chi Bi before it gets dull.

Oct 30, 2010
I remember having a great time playing some Dynasty Warriors game with a friend of mine. It never carried over to my regular gaming habits because I didn't have a PS2, and later on a sense (I don't know where it originated) that there was a lot of shit and it would be too much work to figure out which game was the diamond in the rough.

I certainly have an affinity for the concept, however.

Even just as a hook, invoking Citizen Kane is weird.

pigmy wurm

Nov 18, 2009
I played a good chunk of my friends DW5 (at least I think it was 5), it was really fun but got a bit repetitive and when I then played a bit of DW4 it just felt like I was playing the exact same game. That doesn't make it bad, their are series that I like that the same complaint has been brought against (zelda). Granted I haven't played the more recent ones and if a friend picked it up I would sit down and enjoy it, but I can't see myself picking it up. Really makes you wish for the days of being able to easily rent a game because Dynasty Warriors seems like the perfect rent game.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
I haven't played Dynasty Warriors, but the rant reminded me of Barbarian Onslaught: The Secret of Steel [http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/498326] - a cute little flash game where you do mash one button to win. And it's a lot deeper and more fun than you'd expect.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
SOMEBODY STOP HIM! HE'S GONE MAD WITH POWER!!

LoL I kid, funny stuff Jim. I don't really have an opinion on Dynasty Warriors, never really played it enough to make an impression on me. What I have played left me rather bored, but if you like it then good for you. I prefer my gaming catharsis to come from Burnout. But that game can cause as much stress as it relieves on some occasions, depending on the game mode.

Interesting you would say that Dynasty Warriors is like a modern version of old beat-em-ups. I was thinking about that topic not long ago. I was thinking that games like DMC and God of War are like the modern version of beat-em-ups in layout but their control scheme is more like that of full on fighting games. That gave me the idea of mating the co-op multiplayer of these older beat-em-ups with the modern DMC types. That would be a totally awesome game, although I'm guessing near impossible to implement. Although you could argue that they are aiming to do that with the Darksiders series, but the game has a much wider focus than just combat, so I guess it isn't really the same thing. That and the fact they haven't even got to the point of trying to do it yet.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
It seems Jim is taking his new found freedom to terrifying extremes... What hell have we unleashed?

Anyway, I personally don't like Dynasty Warriors, but I don't hold it against anyone for enjoying it.

dontlooknow

Mar 6, 2008
How can DW be the Citizen Kane of gaming and "the video game equivalent of a stress ball"? I don't remember Citizen Kane being very cathartic; maybe Jim means to compare it to something like Die Hard? To use that two hour ponderous slog as an analogy of a fast-paced hackathon, whether the outcome is a positive or negative review, seems a bit far fetched.

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
Yay! More Jimquisition episodes to look forward to! I got really worried when he brought up the possibility that this could have been his last episode.

92Sierra

Oct 12, 2009
I rarely watch your episodes, but this got my attention. Because I am a DW fan. I owe the game series my life. Thanks to it, I read the Romance of Three Kingdoms which led to me taking Asian History classes, which led me to learning Chinese which is now taking me to China and from there I will take a job as a linguist or something. So yeah, Dynasty Warriors is the start of it all for me. I owe it my life. Who'd have thought?

Also the camp with the ROTK characters (figures of history) is nothing unique to DW. China has always done this and the figures are ridiculously prevalent in China. I recently came across a collectible card card game of ROTK.

Meanwhile, Koei has finally listened to me:http://troy-game.com/ I've been saying that they should do this since I first discovered Dynasty Warriors.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
I was also unaware that people ragged on Dynasty Warriors - I will admit the number of releases the series gets is a little silly, but you only really ever need to buy one version per console generation and you're good.

therockdemon

Mar 17, 2011
i am sorry to say jim but you are wrong DW is not the citizen kane of gaming, it is a good series but not good enough to change gaming like citizen kane did for films

K V MAN

Sep 20, 2010
thank you jim so much i love DW games and have been playing it since 2 and i will be using your video to prove that this game is the best also people compare DW games to EA sport games i would like to say that DW games upgrade the gameplay mechanics every installment and if any one would like the best DW game then it is DW7 that thing is 7 levels of crazy and as jim put it cathartic fun

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
therockdemon said:
i am sorry to say jim but you are wrong DW is not the citizen kane of gaming, it is a good series but not good enough to change gaming like citizen kane did for films
I think it's time for you to learn a new word.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/joke

You're welcome.

As always, thank God for Jim Sterling. He is the highlight of my otherwise miserable Mondays.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Just a little more crazy and some better timing and this could be almost funny.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I don't like DW. I don't have anything against people who like it, but it's not my cup of tea.

I understand the need to turn off the brain and enjoy something mindless, but unfortunately I can't do that. My brain is always working, it always needs something stimulating and/or creative. The only thing that comes close to mindless gaming are free roaming games like Just Cause 2, GTA and Saints Row. But even those games aren't mindless because in order to have fun with those games you have to be creative. You still have to think. And in GTA and SR you even have a story you can care about that keeps you playing. DW doesn't have that. It relies solely on mindless killing for no reason. And to me, that's just not fun.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
ROGUE JIMQUISITOR! ROGUE JIMQUISITOR! WE ARE ALL DOOOOMED!
*blam*
He has a good point. Though its not the Citizen Cane.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
Once again, I can't help but agree with Jim. I love DW and have several including the Gundam spin-offs. I've seen the hate he speaks of, but never bothered getting into a discussion with detractors. My one complaint is that they're so damn expensive for what they offer. I generally buy my games after the price drops, but by the time a DW game lowers in price, the next one's already out (or almost, anyway).

PeterDawson

Feb 10, 2009
I greatly enjoy the series, as well as Samurai and Gundam. Not big on Legends of Troy or Ken's Rage. I absolutely love Warriors Orochi and I am sad that both Warriors Orochi Z and Samurai Warriors 3 forh te PS3 were not released in North America. More people need to buy Koei games, tell the idiots at Gamestop to actually pay attention when they make reviews (Seriously, they got two characters who had nothing in common besides being Chinese mixed up, how racist is that?), and keep the series going. Sure my favorite game of all time is probably a more in-depth game like Fallout 2, Persona 4 or Chrono Trigger, but very little beats the basic feeling of beating hordes of men with a giant sword.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Funny as always. Nothing like seeing your "mad" side.

Thank god, for you.

And thank god, for next monday. <3

BaronOfStuff

Sep 12, 2011
Next time someone bashes the DW series for being boring, button-mashing nonsense, I'm going to direct them to this video and laugh at them.

Yes, yes, it is mindless violence and mass-slaughter, but then that's what it had always set itself out to be from DW2 onward. It loosely follows a heavily-dramatised version of ancient Chinese history, so there's your story.

I really couldn't agree more with Jim on this one. I've loved the DW series ever since DW3; I had played DW2 previously, and while it was fun for a while it I found it to be nowhere near as engrossing nor satisfying as almost every subsequent game. DW3 blew DW2 away completely; various weapons, more characters, more (and better-designed) stages, equippable items that improve stats, mounts... and that holy grail of gaming, a 2-player mode. The fact that it looked infintiely better was just a bonus. DW4 changed things a bit and wasn't quite as addictive as DW3 (grinding for weapon experience was a HUGE chore for the crappier characters), but this was soon corrected with DW5, when for me, the obsession began all over again.

DW6 was a bit shit. They changed far too much in ways that were a step back (especially the characters), but from what I've seen of DW7 so far it looks like I'm going to be glued to the telly again soon. For a long time.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
DW is a good series, with fun gameplay, but the problem is that Koei feels the need to treat it like activision treated Guitar Hero, "Let's release dozens of games with the exact same gameplay but never add anything new!">

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Honestly, I don't mind Dynasty Warriors. I got a friend who really likes them and I've played a bit of one or two of them. Hell just this weekend I was at his house and we popped it in and killed a few hours killing mindless enemy drones. That being said, I find the game very repetitive and view it in much the same way I view Call of Duty now, its mindless fun with a couple of friends, but not something I would play by myself for any extended period of time.

12th_milkshake

Nov 20, 2008
i totally agree, it is the citizen Kane of gaming, Being largely shit and really dull, with stupid overtone of being more than it is.

RooooosseeeBUDD!

Mar 29, 2008
I'm glad my former roomates and I aren't alone on this one, dynasty warriors is awesome, and it makes a great party game.

Now, its time for lunch, time to find me some dim sum. *picks up his spear and heads to china town*

red the fister

Mar 11, 2009
well, i do believe jim has lost his fucking mind!

that said, i'm gonna rethink my opinion of the DW series. i played the shit out of Streets of Rage (1 and 2) back in the day and i loved it.
i guess the jump to 3D threw my perspective off a bit...

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
This show gets better and better! Can't wait for next monday...

wait a minute...

it's monday....

HOLYCRAPSHITMONKEYBALLSTHERESANEWMANLYGUYSDOINGMANLYTHINGSANDIHAVERNTSEENITYET

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
I had know clue your show was close to getting cancelled. Keep up the good fight Jim.
Also a full fledged Kirby episode would be epic

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Glad there's going to be more Jim next week. I would have been bummed out if there'd hadn't.

Good episode.
There's a bunch of games I like that are just simple, brainless fun which a lot of other people won't touch too.

Kekkles

Feb 19, 2010
Jim Sterling said:
I like how easily manipulated people are on here... tsk, tsk. I've enjoyed every DW game since it opened with it's 1v1 fighter and never knew that people disliked it seeing as it always sold out every time I went to buy the latest one. Which is 7. And I still haven't got a copy!!!

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Speaking of Koei... I'd like to see a Destrega remake. Back in its heyday that it was the closest we ever got to playing an episode of Dragon Ball.

Mikeyfell

Aug 24, 2010
Don't get me wrong here, I'm glad you're coming back next week and all the weeks after that.
I've always liked what you had to say, I haven't always agreed with it but I've always been glad someone has said it. This week though, I'm left a little cold. Everything you said may be a fair endorsement of Dynasty Warriors but I don't think it's an apt comparison to Citizen Kane. I know why you did it, but this leads me to believe you haven't seen Citizen Kane, or at least that you've stopped giving a shit.

I love your show because it's both insightful and angry. This episode was neither.

Southpaw Samurai

Mar 2, 2010
Dynasty Warriors' beat'em up lineage becomes blatantly obvious when one considers the bunch of Three Kingdoms manga based arcade side scrolling beat'ems up that came in the early 90's.

Warriors of Fate is one of the American versions of the games. I don't remember if that's the one where the names of the characters were changed, but anyone who's familiar with Dynasty Warriors will easily pick out Guan Yu, Zhang Fei, Zhao Yun, and the other Shu warriors you can play as no matter what they're called.

Jim's title is as inaccurate as it is inflammatory, but the points he makes are actually all very valid and spot on. Games serve many purposes and some of those purposes are to be distracting, relaxing, and just fun.

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
Dynasty Warriors never left much of an impact on me, though I can see now why other people can love the series. I look at the Spider-Man games in a similar fashion I suppose. Where Dynasty Warriors lets you blow off steam by killin' tons of dudes easily, Spider-Man just swings casually and lets you chill out.

It's always good to pick up a game that's just chill. In fact, I think I'm gonna go find the nearest copy of Dynasty Warriors and give that a go!

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
Jim Sterling said:
Drunk with power, Jim Sterling abuses his position to start sneaking out some of his more ruinous opinions. In this episode, he divulges his love for Dynasty Warriors and somehow thinks he'll get away with it. Will he inspire others to confess their secret shame, or will he bring pitchforks and torches to his door?
Yeah? What you want? Calling my name out and stuff.

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
I love Dynasty Warriors. Button masher it may be, but among the rest of my mostly strategy-based library, it and Halo 3 are the ones I go to just to let off some steam. It's like how I would usually watch films like The Prestige or Spirited Away, but sometimes I just gotta have me some Kick-Ass. It is cathartic, and it just makes a nice way of making a change and just killing some stuff.

warfjm

Nov 14, 2007
From the clips you've shown, the game looks boring and repetitive. Once you kill a mob of 100+ people, you turn around and oh, kill another mob of 100+ people.

The difference between button mashers (DW especially) and SMB is that SMB has varied platforming. Yes, you are running and jumping, but the obstacles put in front of you are varied enough that it eventually takes skill to beat the end levels.

Not hating on DW fans, but it just looks boring to me.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Extra Credits covered this before.

Seriously. Great stuff as always. I've never paid much attention to the series and I doubt I ever will, but I can't see it as much different gameplay-wise than Ninja Gaiden and I love that.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Hm.Myself - I absolutely love Fist of The North Star Ken's Rage, which is in many places similar to DW series. I like such stuff, but DW lacks gore and that puts me away. When I hack away I wanna see bouncing chunks of meat.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Being a fat guy is depressing, because our clothing options are so limited that you can pretty much tell where other fat guys shop at a glance because we all own the same wardrobe.

For example, I guess Jim paid a visit to the old Casual Male XL/Big & Tall store a while ago, because I have (and incidentally wore yesterday) the SAME "Flash" graphic t-shirt.

I won't be surprised if I also see him in the Green Lantern shirt, the Blue Superman shirt, the Grey Batman shirt, the white-gray transformers, or any of the "Big Dawg" t-shirts.

Sadly, I even think I own that exact same sport-coat.

Fluffy guys are the newest oppressed minority.

ShadowGandalf01

Oct 3, 2011
I too began my love of DW with DW3... a demo of DW3 actually. I then got DW3 in full, followed over the years by DW4, DW4XL, DW4E, DW5, DW5XL, DW5E, DW6, DW6E and DW7. (DW7XL is apparently coming soon). I've enjoyed every one of them. although, yes, DW6 & E were the weakest so far... but i loved 7.

Also, my primary loyalty is with Shu and Liu Bei... and my fave warrior is Zhou Yun, with Guan Yu coming close 2nd.

Theo Rob

Jun 30, 2010
finally a positive video about the DW series. I've been a fan since the first hack and slash style game (DW2 if im right) and am looking forward to 7's Xtreme legends.

its a shame that some people cant handle simple-minded fun nowdays.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
To me, the crux of this argument fall a bit flat because I DON'T consider Golden-Axe or it's ilk to be classics, then again they're a bit before my time but they still don't wow me with their simplicity in violent catharsis.

Plus I think the camp value you're so fond of has varying milage at best.

On the other hand, I don't hate Dynasty warriors or think it's a bad series, I just don't think much of it either way, it's not for me but that doesn't mean it can't be good at what it does.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
By his description of it, I don't see how it can be called "The Citizen Kane of Gaming".
He makes it sound like an equivalent of a cheesy action blockbuster - which is not a bad thing, in my opinion.
I have a PSP but never got to play this game. Maybe I'll give it a chance sometime.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Yeah, except Citizen Kane earns its status by pioneering all the basic cinematography and narrative techniques that have been used since (well, up until the advent of CGI added new possibilities, but we're still exploring that). Dynasty Warriors doesn't really pioneer anything, it just builds on what's come before. Not that this is necessarily a bad game, but that's something I can't comment on as I've never played it, but based on what your describing, calling Dynasty Warriors the Citizen Kane of video games doesn't hold up.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Multiple game commentators commenting on the same games? the madness! the insanity! the sheer butthurtness of it all! bwahahaha!

But seriously...

You know what? I liked Dynasty Warriors. I liked the spinoff Samurai Warriors too. My problem is, the series suffers from "Madden-itis". Its new releases tend to offer very little, other than inconsequential technical upgrades and roster updates. Even Pokemon's essentially stagnant gameplay offers something new with every iteration, and I just don't get that from Koei. Double Dragon, Battletoads, Ninja Turtles, Contra... they all didn't vary much from the formula either, but at least offered new enemy types and challenging new boss fights in the sequels... something more to test the mettle than sheer zombie numbers and unforgiving timers.

If Dynasty Warriors 7 or that curious Dynasty Warriors Gundam thing changed up the formula or added gameplay modes that were actually different in some way, then I apologize, but I haven't seen anything in them or since to justify a new purchase. Nothing worth dropping $60 or more on, when I can get the same experience for free playing Dynasty Warriors 5 or Samurai Warriors 1 through again.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
I only played a demo of Dinasty Warriors on the PS3 a few months ago and it bored me silly, so I guess I'm not the target audience for this thing :p.
BTW, congrats Jim. When I commented on the first video, I felt the show lacked identity. I'm still not crazy about the delivery but I've come to enjoy your topics. And I started visiting Destructoid because of this series, too!
Keep it up!

MAUSZX

May 7, 2009
I have played one DW... I think it was the 7.... anyway I didn't play it long, but I didn't say it's bad... more like a meh game... anyway I think Zelda is the Citizen Kane

Velocity Eleven

May 20, 2009
I dont see how DW games are any more repetitive than most other games... and even so I dont see how it would be a problem. its all about long-term development, it helps for you to make long-term decisions about how to develop your characters

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Jim Sterling said:
Dynasty Warriors Is The Citizen Kane Of Gaming

Watch Video
never been into DW, mostly due to the costumes, BUT, i personally have nothing against them, in fact i have a 'DW' game in my collection just for the purpose of committing genocide

Drakenguard, nothing like murdering tons of doods on dragon back :D
Warhammer 40k: Space Mairine's single player works for this as well

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Title is troll bait obviously. As for my opinion on Dynasty Warriors it had one good game in the series and that was any single one game, I myself can't find enough difference from game to game to ever buy the new games, when I can just put in a disc I already own and get the same experience. Also I hate the he did it first commenter too, this is the age of the internet everything has been covered in every way, from every view point before.

Dash-X

Aug 17, 2009
Hm. If he enjoyed DW, then he might also enjoy "Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders" and "Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes" for the original X-Box... If he can find it.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I've been considering getting into DW for a while now.

No idea where to start though...

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
lol!

Loved this weeks episode, the mock arrogance and powermadness was capped beautifully with this review of dynsaty warriors. Video game equivilent of a stressball, brilliant!

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
I thought I would NEVER see the day where someone with a actual rank in video gaming would find it in there livers to say something nice about the humble Dynasty warriors franchise. This video made my day. Maybe even the rest of the year.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Dash-X said:
Hm. If he enjoyed DW, then he might also enjoy "Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders" and "Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes" for the original X-Box... If he can find it.
Don't forget 99 Knights and 99 Knights part duex!

LittleMountain

Oct 10, 2011
This video has finally convince me to join up to the escapist forums to say this.

Bloody good show, sir. As someone who also enjoys Dynasty Warriors and it's many many (many) spinoffs and sequels, I felt obligated to support this.

To anyone who enjoys said games, I recommend you check out Sengoku Basara . It's basically like...if Samurai Warriors is Warring States Era Japan on drugs, Sengoku Basara is Samurai Warriors on a lot more, better drugs.

And now to watch all of Jimquisition's videos. Hail Jim Sterling!
Nice chainsword, by the way.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I love this show.

As for Dynasty Warriors, I played a couple of them last gen. They were fun. I also enjoyed Ninety Nine Nights as well, though the sequel put me off for some reason. Still, nothing wrong with a bit of hackey slashy goodness. It's always good for a laugh.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
This is the funniest episode I've seen in awhile. Thank god for Jim!

[sub]I've always hated people who blindly criticize.[/sub]

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
bahumat42 said:
AHH Finally something to agree with :D

shame i can only play the ps2 ones :(
You're on a PC, right? There's a Dynasty Warriors MMO, plays a lot like the console games, too.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
My beef with Dynasty Warriors is just that it is repetitive. I think that's what people mean when they say that Dynasty Warriors is a button masher.

Contra is not repetitive. And neither is Super Mario Bros. But I can understand if you like it.

Though, Koei has done not a damn thing to win me over. And I've tried. Oh, how I've tried to get into their style of games. But almost every one of their titles are either sub par or just downright boring.
every mario title pre64 era: jump run jump run jump maybe throw. yeah..
every contra title: jump shoot run jump duck shoot shoot stab.. did i mention jump and shot....yeah i think were done here.
Dynasty warriors is repetitive yes bit in the sort of mind numbing stress relieving repetition. I'm not gonna lie, i was on the dynasty warrior hate bandwagon. but in truth i never really hated it, i just didn't care that much

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
I have fond memories of playing Dynasty Warriors 2 on the ps2. I do think that there are way too many unnecessary sequels of the franchise (without enough innovation), but i might pick up the most recent DW for the ps3 to see what has changed since DW2. I agree with Jim on the whole Final Fight/streets of rage analogy.

OutsiderEX

Jul 18, 2011
DIN-AH-STEE. IT'S PRONOUNCED DIN-AH-STEE!

Now that's out the way; I've always like the Dynasty Warrior series. In fact, were it not for the series, I probably never would have read the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. The only problem with the series is that I can't play the games for more then a few hours at a time before my hands start hurting.

In fact, I'm actually a big fan of Koei's habit of taking historical settings and making them absolutely ridiculous. One of my favourite periods of history and one I've read about in great detail is the Hundred Years War, so Bladestorm was a treat (although part of that treat was getting to grouse on about how everything is wrong).

Apr 28, 2008
I also love Dynasty Warriors.

I have fond memories of staying up until the wee hours with my friends just murdering everyone.

Ah, such fun.

I also love the Empire's spin-offs. Mainly because I just love going from a tiny province to a huge empire.

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
I think Dynasty warriors is good but I can't bring myself to buy another version of it because it takes about 3 games between each title for any semblance of change to occur, I can literally play the older titles and have the same experience as one of the newer ones.

Also, wow man on internet is troll, haven't seen/heard this before. Not to totally discredit Jim though I've liked some of his videos for example the ones about PC gaming and Pre owned sales "hurting the industry" most of the others just seem like inane ramblings I can get off a common 4chan post.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
kyosai7 said:
bahumat42 said:
AHH Finally something to agree with :D

shame i can only play the ps2 ones :(
You're on a PC, right? There's a Dynasty Warriors MMO, plays a lot like the console games, too.
i thought it was only available to the asia market.
I may look into this.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
therockdemon said:
Wow.

I didn't realise that people actually took Jim seriously...

Really?

OT: I quite liked his outburst at the end about how he won.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Togs said:

Im definately one of the haters but its not because I dont like the game its because I hate what Koei have done with the series, released the same game year in year out with an everincreasing number of minor but often ridiculous changes.
you mean like what EA and activision do each year?

speaking of which, isnt it ironic that reviewers praise the hell out of madden and call of duty for those reasons yet bash DW for the same reason?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I hated Final Fight, Streets of Rage, and Golden Axe. Also modern ones like Castle Crashers. So I guess I'll just keep pretending that I've never even heard of this franchise.

Was it really going to be the last episode though? If so, that's hilarious. Take that, haters.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
I, too, like Dynasty Warriors, moreso the Empires versions because that's everything Jim mentioned + conquering a nation with whomever I please as ruler. (Yes, even an edit officer) BOW TO ME, FICTIONAL CHINA!

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Considering that the Kinetiscope was the first limited use of "cinema" in 1893

And "Galaxy Game" was the first Video Game in 1971

We are not even close to the same stage of development of Cinema.

Citizen Kane was not made till 1942 where it was mostly ignored till the 1950's and was only universally accepted as a great film by about 1963. So that is a whole 70 years before the Citizen Kane is both made and RECOGNISED.

However, Video games are in effect age adjusted in 1933. What did cinema have in 1933?

-king Kong: big extravaganza, people recognised unequivocally that cinema was capable of things that a theatrical production never could, but it's hardly high brow. It's action and adventure with rather cheesy plot and characterisation (COD?)
-European art-house films really pushed definitions but were not global financial successes (Suda 51 games?)
-only JUST introduced to concept of "Montage" with the The Battleship Potemkin, something really unique to film as an ARTISTIC medium. Yet it wasn't widely sued/accepted for many years later.

So really we are only "lagging behind" cinema if we don't make the said amazing game by 2020, and have it recognised by 2041.

I'd say Dynasty Warrior's is more the Stagecoach of gaming. It's a fun cheesy romp fighting apache and bandits.

It could be that Portal is the Citizen Kane of gaming... really we must wait 20 years to truly tell.

Again, the "Citizen Kane of" isn't becessarily your favourite game, it's just fucking Citizen Kane!

ForensicYOYO

Jun 12, 2010
Looks like he let out some steam in this one. No facts just stating his opinion. Well Im happy to see he is staying.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
This is a shocking coincidence. Just today I was thinking about how I should get back into DW7, since I never really completed much of it, and how I miss it.

I think I love you.

Edit: Also,
OutsiderEX said:
This, an-....
I've always like the Dynasty Warrior series. In fact, were it not for the series, I probably never would have read the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
Hang on a second, are you me?

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
You're out of your fucking MIND, Jim!!

Everyone knows that Crash Bandicoot is the Citizen Kane of gaming, whereas Dynasty Warriors is merely Spartacus... GAWD! :p

Delighted that I'll be getting a large British man shrieking into my ear holes for even more Mondays to come!
Congratulations, you mad bastard! Turns out poking the hornet's nest that is gamer opinions with a red hot poker is a good tactic, after all.

Also, I may just play DW at some point... Just so I can get some cathartic rage release going on. Been one awful, awful day.

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
DW was my first Ps2 game. Best game series ever. Except the first Ps3 release. Which was wank. Wank and 7 still costs 40 fucking quid here.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I like the concept of Dynasty warriors... but the little things turn me off.

I don't know, it's like the difference between Doom and another doom-clone, everything is there, it just doesn't do it right.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Everything he said about Dynasty Warriors can be said about Devil May Cry, and I prefer DMC over DW, but that's simply a matter of taste, I just prefer DMC's combat system over the DW one.

This is just my opinion, of course, I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying it's a matter of personal preference.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Kinda went too overboard there at the end Jim and lost me. And c'mon now, let's be serious, Dynasty Warriors isn't bad, but Citizen Kane? It's more like every summer Hollywood blockbuster. Cheap popcorn fun, but not worth taking at a serious angle. I'll still play one every handful of years, but personally I like mixing up other mindless fun games in the mean time for more variety.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Okay, I've slowly been liking the Jimquisition more and more over time, but this one DEFINITELY won me over. Sure it's over the top, like way, WAY over the top, but I am okay with that. Jim has won a special place in my heart.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
OutsiderEX said:
The dictionary says it can go either way. [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dynasty] And calm down, God forbid people from different regions of the world say words a bit different than you.

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
To me this just shows a total lack of knowledge about Citizen Kane. The movie was nearly 20 years ahead of it's time, the plot was a beautifully crafted personal drama, the acting changed peoples concepts on what good acting was, and the film was written/directed and stared, Orson Welles, and the film is also responsable for the death of Welles' career due to the opinion and machinations of one man(Namely the person it was designed to portray: William Randolph Hurst).

Dynasty Warriors by contrast wasn't ahead of it's time at all when it came out, in fact it was par for the course, it's horribly voice acted, was created by a massive design team who all had say in it's various parts, and it's release didn't kill anyone's career, rather it gave the team the right to just keep re-releasing the same crappy game for decades with only slight changes like "NOW THEY'RE GUNDAMS!!!"... Oh, and the plot of those games is generally shit and is a war drama (I think, if that) with characters as shallow as a kiddie pool.

I hate it when people do this; just because you heard a phrase on Family Guy or whatever doesn't mean you understand it and can use it. Words aren't just supposed to be thrown around at random to convey tone, they are supposed to be backed up with a solid understanding of subject matter and are to be weaved with that subject matter in mind. Let me show you what I mean:

Dynasty Warriors is the Power Rangers of gaming. It was really cool to 12-year-olds when it came out but didn't really do anything special aside from providing an assault of violence and bright flashing lights but for some reason it has a massive adult following mostly built on nostalgia and it just won't fucking end.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
I like Dynasty Warriors - mostly because it has two-player and killing bunches of things with my fiance is fun... having to unlock the girls and finding one to play and choosing all the effeminate men in their stead when they aren't available not withstanding. Also, it's a handy way to keep the names of people straight if one should ever be faced with the prospect of having to read the Romance of the Three Kingdoms for class.

mronoc

Nov 12, 2008
It's an okay action franchise that's earned a lot of (perfectly valid) contempt for basically being the Madden of action games.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
There are like 4 levels of Irony, trolling and self parody going on here. Bravo Jim, you are at your best at you worst :p

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
Wow Jim, at the end there it seemed like you'd been suffering from "The Simpsons Did It" syndrome.

Was your world looking like nothing but yellow walls, dick jokes, and memes used to solidify your points?

Anyways I think your best point was about arbitrarily shrugging Dynasty Warriors just because being just as shallow as what people say the games are.

Though you then say one of the best things about the series is it's simplicity and lack of depth.

I got the point but i found that train of thought interesting anyways.

It's true though, Tetris is simple, but I'd consider it one of the most played and enjoyed games ever.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
This is on the premise that my gamer mindset has some hypocrisy in it when in fact it covers my uncaring nature for the series just fine. So I'll be giving it a pass, still. :p This said, I blow off steam via composing music....or writing a novel, so I *really* have no incentive on picking up the game. lol

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
I really enjoyed the series on the ps2, i haven't got ps3 so i haven't really kept up with it, but during the time on the ps2 it was awesome i had really good mind numbing fun.

Iggy Rufflebar

Mar 26, 2008
DW rocks my socks.

got every game since dynasty warriors 2, huge fan of the series.

may not be getting dynasty warriors 7 extreme legends though, i'm not interested in the same game but with 3 extra characters for the £40, although, when it goes down in price....

sordcooper

Sep 14, 2010
THANK GOD SOME ONE FINALLY SAID IT! i mean shit i've been saying dynasty warriors was great for years, but do people listen?... well, yah if you tie them down first and work them over with the flog a little, but thats a whole other story!

but really i am a pretty big fan of the DW series (having owned damned near everything from 2 to 5-extreme legends/empires) my only real complaint about the franchise is that game play modes and strategies that are available in empires and legends arnt around in the main game! i mean it would be awesome to make my little Chinese death machine and beat up cannon characters before switching to the last guy i pummeled's campaign WITHOUT having to switch disks first! ... oh, and they got rid of the bodyguards that are basicly characters in their own rights in favor of just doing that with horses... that sucked

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
I didn't just play Dynasty Warriors. I played Dynasty Warriors Gundam, and liked it. Didn't understand much of it, but I enjoyed playing it.

There, I said it.

BristolBerserker

Aug 3, 2011
I love dynasty warriors and also samurai warriors. Xaihou Dun and Tadakatsu Honda were the best from each series.

JRCrusher

Mar 16, 2011
JIM HAS GONE MAD WITH POWER! And the results are glorious. Long live the Jimquisition.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
It's a pity that most of you will never know the sweet embrace of the 3DS version, since they added some really good changes to it.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
AnotherAvatar said:
To me this just shows a total lack of knowledge about Citizen Kane.

It was really cool to 12-year-olds when it came out but didn't really do anything special aside from providing an assault of violence and bright flashing lights but for some reason it has a massive adult following mostly built on nostalgia and it just won't fucking end.
I think it's time to introduce you to a post from the first page of this topic:

Raika said:

You're welcome.

As always, thank God for Jim Sterling. He is the highlight of my otherwise miserable Mondays.
Sometimes, another poster just happens to come along and do your work for you. Happy times :).

Though to me, Dynasty Warriors owes more to Dr Strangelove than Citizen Kane. Not to discredit Jim's views on the matter, but I just see the influences of that film as being more apparent.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
It's true, DW is an awesome 5$ bargain bin game and it usually take about a week from launch to get there.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Like Saints Row The Third, jim has now gone completely off the deep end. Well, don't let me stop you, jim. Dive down that rabbit hole until you reach the center of the earth.

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
dontlooknow said:
How can DW be the Citizen Kane of gaming and "the video game equivalent of a stress ball"? I don't remember Citizen Kane being very cathartic; maybe Jim means to compare it to something like Die Hard? To use that two hour ponderous slog as an analogy of a fast-paced hackathon, whether the outcome is a positive or negative review, seems a bit far fetched.
That was the joke. He had gone crazy from people saying the Extra credits had said everything he has said before so he said something ridiculous that they couldn't possibly say came from extra credits.

OT: Great episode, and you going crazy was as funny as it was disturbing.

MisterDyslexo

Feb 11, 2011
You know, there's always some truth behind what he has to say, no matter how ridiculous it may be, and I think that for this its that sometimes all a game needs to be really good is to provide a good outlet for catharsis. And yes, some people do get it all out in different ways, but not everybody. Some people exercise, some people write. Me, I stomp around in an 80-ton Mech and blow shit up. And really, what use is a game that can't provide you with a positive feeling?

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Dynasty Warriors is epic, I'm pretty sure I've played all the main series ones since number 1, Zang Wei for the win.

Cranyx

Mar 6, 2011
It seems that he's self contradicting when he calls it the "Citizen Kane" of gaming. The reason he loves it so much is because it's a mindless good time, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's not what made Citizen Kane great. Citizen Kane is considered to be the greatest movie of all time because of very technical aspects, things that can (and have been) analyzed in a classroom to the most minute detail and explaining WHY it is exceptional. It seems according to Jim, DW is better compared to a really fun Summer flick that is just fun to watch, but might not be exceptional from an intellectual standpoint.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
I like Dynasty Warriors, the only problem I have with the series is that the sequels don't seem to improve on it very much.

But yeah when I first played Dynasty Warriors it was fun so I bought Dynasty Warriors 4 Empires and had a lot of fun.

So do the newest ones have significant improvement over that?

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Samurai Warriors included?

-shrug-

Ive always liked DW like he said...killin dudes is fun...why MOAR games need bots...

I havent tried any of the newer ones...seems wasteful of $60 and Rapestop doesnt like to go down on some things to a "reasonable" level

faspxina

Feb 1, 2010
YES! Thank God for this man.
As stagnating as the series has been, it always manages to entertain me and I always keep coming back to it.

Bluecho

Dec 30, 2010
Anyone who jumped to refute Jim's assertion that Dynasty Warriors is the Citizen Kane of gaming must first ask themselves a question: why do I hold Citizen Kane in such high regard? Is it truley a masterpiece of cinema? Or just another film among the many produced during that era?

For those who've never seen the film themselves, you have no right to talk about it with such reverance simply because so many film buffs hold it in high regard. For those that have seen it, fair enough.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
I love how some people are taking the comparison to Citizen Kane completely 100% literally. These people clearly don't know Jim.

Bakuryukun

Jul 12, 2010
Thanks for showing Dynasty Warriors some love, Jim! I've always really enjoyed the series as a part of a well-balanced gaming breakfast.

As a matter of fact, I'ma play some Orochi Warriors right now.

Feb 9, 2011
I suddenly have an urge to play some Dynasty Warriors. I've played through most of them and I don't think I've ever noticed the comparison to the old school button smashers like Final Fight. Shame...

Good eye.

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
The DW series is far too repetitive and shallow for my tastes. But I do love Serious Sam for a lot of the same reasons you love DW.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
The problem with Dynasty Warriors isn't actually that they're bad games (even though I personally don't enjoy them.

It that all the Dynasty Warriors games are the same fucking game, only it's been released 40 billion times with a new number on the end, and every time a new one come out Jim gives it a glowing review without even mentioning the fact that it's the same FUCKING game as all the others, It's inexcusably lazy.

Also I think it's in very poor taste that the Escapist employs someone like Jim, who uses deliberately inflammatory language and engages in blatant nerd-baiting, when several articles on the site have denounced nerd-baiting as a cheap and mean-spirited way to get hits.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
What kind of twat would cancel the Jimquisition? I've been a fan since episode one, you know, back when everyone hated his guts.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
I admit that I never expected a topic like this to pop up on the Jimquisition, never the less it being about one of my favorite series(though to be honest I was always more into the empire versions since taking over china and japan is -AWESOME-) made this episode one of the best one's so far in my opinion. :p

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
MarsProbe said:
AnotherAvatar said:
To me this just shows a total lack of knowledge about Citizen Kane.

Dynasty Warriors is like Power Rangers: It was really cool to 12-year-olds when it came out but didn't really do anything special aside from providing an assault of violence and bright flashing lights but for some reason it has a massive adult following mostly built on nostalgia and it just won't fucking end.
I think it's time to introduce you to a post from the first page of this topic:

Raika said:

You're welcome.

Sometimes, another poster just happens to come along and do your work for you. Happy times :).

Though to me, Dynasty Warriors owes more to Dr Strangelove than Citizen Kane. Not to discredit Jim's views on the matter, but I just see the influences of that film as being more apparent.

... There wasn't anything funny about his statement. Did you laugh when you read "Dynasty Warriors is the Citizen Kane of gaming"? If you did you have an odd sense of humor and I'd wager you'd be the only one. I'm very clear on the definition of a joke, I made a joke at the end relating Dynasty Warriors to Power Rangers (which you even sited, though you managed to cut off the part that... you know, had it make sense), jokes are about timing and amusement, and the best ones are about making an amusing and ACCURATE statement (unless you attend the Family Guy school of comedy, in which case you can fuck right off).

"Dynasty Warriors is the Citizen Kane of Gaming" is a statement, a rather inaccurate one I'd expect from a slack-jawed hick who's complete grasp on Citizen Kane was afforded to him by the Simpsons episode.

All I ask is that people think before they speak, especially if they're replying to my post, and if you're under the age of 18, then just don't bother.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I like how he claims that DW is the Citizen Kane of gaming, while not actually showing in any way how DW is like Citizen Kane...
If I remember correctly, Citizen Kane is considered a benchmark in film, a leap in cinematography that finally presented the film industry as a viable art form, yes?
Strange, then, how Jim says that its comparable to that because it does the opposite thing - by keeping to the old school and not moving with the times.
I'm not saying that thats a bad thing, and I recognise that DW aren't necessarily bad (if repetitive as a series), buuut it does seem odd to compare it to Citizen Kane...

As for the presentation of the show itself however, this is the best yet! I think before he was a bit too... subdued, in his 'overlord' character, which made him sound egotistical rather than funny. Now that he's gone full-blown insane with power-like character, its a lot more entertaining to watch XD

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 26, 2020
Country
🇬🇧
Oh Jim, when I watched the first two episodes you ever produced on this site I went "meh". Now many months later, you are my favourite show on the Escapist, above Zero Puntaction and certainly the now absent Extra Credits, and so I'm delighted to see you'll be staying with us. This episode was one of your best so far and made me laugh a hell of a lot.

Truly, thank God for you.

goliath6711

May 3, 2010
Well think about this, Jim calls Dynasty Warriors the "Citizen Kane of Gaming", but he never told us what he thought of Citizen Kane.

I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game, but if you're comparing them to games like Final Fight and Streets of Rage (I like Final Fight, I LOVE Streets of Rage), then I may pick one up.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 26, 2020
Country
🇬🇧
AnotherAvatar said:
... There wasn't anything funny about his statement. Did you laugh when you read "Dynasty Warriors is the Citizen Kane of gaming"? If you did you have an odd sense of humor and I'd wager you'd be the only one. I'm very clear on the definition of a joke, I made a joke at the end relating Dynasty Warriors to Power Rangers (which you even sited, though you managed to cut off the part that... you know, had it make sense), jokes are about timing and amusement, and the best ones are about making an amusing and ACCURATE statement (unless you attend the Family Guy school of comedy, in which case you can fuck right off).

"Dynasty Warriors is the Citizen Kane of Gaming" is a statement, a rather inaccurate one I'd expect from a slack-jawed hick who's complete grasp on Citizen Kane was afforded to him by the Simpsons episode.

All I ask is that people think before they speak, especially if they're replying to my post, and if you're under the age of 18, then just don't bother.
Marsprobe wasn't the only one, I found the title funny too. Since I can see you've joined us recently, is this the first Jimquisition you've ever seen? It isn't meant to be taken 100% seriously by the way and silly "troll" titles such as this are common on this show. You're free not to find it amusing if you wish but that doesn't mean that it's not a joke.

Denariax

Nov 3, 2010
I never really watched the Jimquisition before now. Mind, I was intrigued by the title. I may have to watch him a lot more now.

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
JoJoDeathunter said:
AnotherAvatar said:

Marsprobe wasn't the only one, I found the title funny too. Since I can see you've joined us recently, is this the first Jimquisition you've ever seen? It isn't meant to be taken 100% seriously by the way and silly "troll" titles such as this are common on this show. You're free not to find it amusing if you wish but that doesn't mean that it's not a joke.
Fair enough. If that's his style of comedy then I'd have to be Nazi to claim it's wrong. If that's how you guys like to party far be it for me to rain it out, though you'll excuse me if I bail.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
What? LAST WEEK WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE LAST ONE? Oh, thank GOD that last week wasn't it. And thank GOD... for Jim.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
When I saw the title, I was reminded of Podtoid, and I burst out laughing!

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
The thing about Dynasty Warriors is that i like it a bit, but it's more like a guilty pleasure i play every now and then as a bit of fun. What i will say is that i sort of wish they would use the potential of the gameplay and expand on it a bit more.

I mean, hell, i seriously wouldn't mind seeing this style of gameplay but set it in another time period: I mean, how awesome would it be to be say....Julius Caesar or Richard the Lionheart swinging an oversize two handed sword through waves upon waves of enemies? Admit it, you would play that!

Nov 12, 2010
Jim Sterling said:
IMHO: if it's mindless fun you're looking for - "Devil Kings" on PS2. Look no further. It's even dumber and campier than the DW saga. Combat is very slick and brutal. The characters are even more over the top than in DW and they actually have decent voice actors assigned to them. Looting is way better with so many cool items to loot. It also rewards you for playing on the hardest difficulty settings with higher drop rates. Even though the only character I could pull it off with was Frost, which is alright since he's my personal favorite anyways. Also "Devil Kings" is a stylish spectacle both in fighting (very closely resembling DMC) and aesthetics. I didn't care much for how DW looks in terms of its art.

The only thing that DW does better is its soundtrack, "Devil Kings" has a very forgettable one indeed. DW had great electro-metal tunes.

So no, I do not agree with you. "Devil Kings" is way better than DW alongside all the points you made about DW. Too bad I don't speak Japanese, I'd definitiely pick up the sequel to "Devil Kings" otherwise.

Infernai said:
...I mean, hell, i seriously wouldn't mind seeing this style of gameplay but set it in another time period: I mean, how awesome would it be to be say...
I believe there was a mecha-style spin-off. Not really a change in period, more in setting, but still.

P.S.: yeah, I thought I'd make myself clear on this - DW series wasn't really my thing. Since I played "Devil Kings" first, DW just felt very stale to me when I tried it later. I don't even remember which part it was, only that it was on PS2.

P.P.S.: hmm, I guess that makes me declare "Devil Kings" the "Citizen Kane of Gaming" then.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
hell Yeah DW games kick ass I love them and been a fan since DW2 back the ps2 days. This makes me wanna buy some DW and SW games and have some fun.

deckpunk

Apr 5, 2011
Nice one Jim, Dynasty Warriors is indeed the Citizen Kane of gaming. Long live the Jimquisition

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I fucking Love the Jimquisition! Also, having been away from certain gaming magazines for a while now, I didn't realize the Warriors series has been more or less snubbed when Toei is doing the same thing EA Sports does.

The last Dynasty Warriors I got though was the 4th for the Xbox. Other than that I've indulged in the spin-off titles like DW Gundam on the 360 and, Fist of the North Star, also on the 360. They're just as cathartic only instead of killing people/characters from Romance of the Three Kingdoms (a book I'm embarrassed to say I haven't finished reading) I'm killing off far more familiar characters like Char, Shin, Master Asia and, Raoh. My next DW purchase will likely be Samurai Warriors 3D on the 3DS. Still unsure why I haven't grabbed that one yet.

Long Live the Jimquisition!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Eh, I can understand the appeal of a cathartic beat-em-up, but if I was going to declare a 'Citizen Kane of gaming' I'd go for something with a bit of narrative weight behind it.

Also, I thought "games aren't movies, get over it", and that using terms like "Citizen Kane of gaming" were selling the medium short, remember [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/3075-Videogames-Are-Not-Movies-Get-Over-It]?

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
AnotherAvatar said:

Well, no I didn't laugh when I read it. I did however laugh when Jim said it. If that means I have an odd sense of humour (or at least one that does not sync up with yours) then so be it. I'd be inclined to think however that I am not the only one that has an "odd" sense humour. But anyway, what is the most troubling thing about your post here I wonder? Basic intolerance, pointless swearing or what appears to be a particuarly virulent strain of agism?

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Great episode as always. But once again Jim appears to be battling a straw man entirely made up in his imagination. I don't think there is any uproar about how DW series aren't good games. They get mediocre reviews because they are formulaic and repetitive but you have to realize most non-yahtzee reviewers don't play though the game, just watch the intro and the first 10 minutes. Then they have to include the press release information their publisher requires them to include.

Notsomuch

Apr 22, 2009
The scene where Zhange He gives his speech and then flies off-screen like superman or Neo in the matrix is one of my favorite Cinematics in gaming. As for Daynasty Warriors, I'm more of a romance of the three kingdoms fan. I would be on board if they combined camp and Cinematic from Dynasty warriors with the Strategy and civ 5 style combat from rotk11. If that happened, that would probably be my game of the year.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Whee! Glad you'll be back next week, Jim. Nice to see you having so much fun.

Do you write the little description blurbs for your videos? Because this one made me laugh in a smug sort of highbrow way.

ShakenBake

Sep 6, 2011
People who complain that Dynasty Warriors is shallow are the reason why these days we get games that are overproduced, yet terribly linear with practically no replay value. The Dynasty Warriors series have way more gameplay than any of the overrated Call of Duty games with their railroading level designs that have you do nothing but button-mash through a 5 hour Michael Bay movie wannabe. The market is flooded with these mindless FPS games, yet people scorn Dynasty Warriors for committing the only sin of being actually fun and funny at the same time. When have gamers become such a bunch of mirthless douchebags?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:

Personally I haven't played a sports or a shooter title in a long time. So I can't speak on that.
Actually DW is a lot more repetitive that shooters, sports games. It's literally the same era of history visited over and over. The same character. The same exact gameplay. The same maps, the same story every time.

There's a difference between games with good button mashing elements, and literally hitting the attack button until you have filled your special bar for the uber attack.

Sports games and shooters have changed in the last 10 years, DW has not.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
bringer of illumination said:
Also I think it's in very poor taste that the Escapist employs someone like Jim, who uses deliberately inflammatory language and engages in blatant nerd-baiting, when several articles on the site have denounced nerd-baiting as a cheap and mean-spirited way to get hits.
You fail at irony! Turn in your Smug Postmodernist Association badge immediately and return to the ranks of the proletariat, you vile pleb!

FWAA!

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
CrawlingPastaHellion said:
IMHO: if it's mindless fun you're looking for - "Devil Kings" on PS2. Look no further. It's even dumber and campier than the DW saga. Combat is very slick and brutal. The characters are even more over the top than in DW and they actually have decent voice actors assigned to them. Looting is way better with so many cool items to loot. It also rewards you for playing on the hardest difficulty settings with higher drop rates. Even though the only character I could pull it off with was Frost, which is alright since he's my personal favorite anyways. Also "Devil Kings" is a stylish spectacle both in fighting (very closely resembling DMC) and aesthetics. I didn't care much for how DW looks in terms of its art.

The only thing that DW does better is its soundtrack, "Devil Kings" has a very forgettable one indeed. DW had great electro-metal tunes.

So no, I do not agree with you. "Devil Kings" is way better than DW alongside all the points you made about DW. Too bad I don't speak Japanese, I'd definitiely pick up the sequel to "Devil Kings" otherwise.
First off, it should be noted that Devil Kings is a derivative game. It came about as an attempt to jump the popularity of the Dynasty Warriors franchise. So yeah.

As for the games themselves, I played Sengoku Basara 3 (a sequel to Devil Kings). I personally found it to be extremely repetitive. It had two modes: campaign, in which you spam your way through a dozen or so maps of generic enemies with a boss at the end, or individual maps, in which you spam through one of the campaign maps. There was no diversity and while the characters were pretty unique, I hesitate to call them well-balanced against each other. The game is really only good for mindless therapeutic button mashing. Which is precisely what I'd play it for. Also to unlock Nobunaga Oda, because I wanted to wield a sword and a shotgun at the same time.

>_> <_< What?

Mindless fun? Absolutely. "Game of the year" quality? Not by a mile. Dynasty Warriors is generally praised more than Devil Kings and it's with good reason....because DW does it better.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Coming out of the closet to say Dynasty Warriors 4: Empires is one of the games that got me through university.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
12th_milkshake said:
i totally agree, it is the citizen Kane of gaming, Being largely shit and really dull, with stupid overtone of being more than it is.

RooooosseeeBUDD!
I'm pretty sure nobody in the history of the DW series took it or treated it as more than it was. They have played with it lovingly forever.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
Actually DW is a lot more repetitive that shooters, sports games. It's literally the same era of history visited over and over. The same character. The same exact gameplay. The same maps, the same story every time.
I think these are the lies Jim was referencing, so if you were trying to ironically point them out, then thank you.

Except the "same era of history" bit, which is adorable when saying it's more repetitive than shooters, who have a fetish for a couple specific and narrow time periods....

Drakmeire

Jul 5, 2020
Country
United States
I gave this series a shot every once in a while but I'm really starting to dislike this guy.
I understand his trolling delivery and satire of internet personalities (God I hope he's being satirical) But he seems to lack likability and even a Lovable jerk quality like Yahtzee has.
I hate to be so negative but I honestly preferred Lisa Foils over this guy.
I kinda miss her.

Sir Prize

Dec 29, 2009
I like DW but wouldn't go as far as that.
But to all those who point at the 'it's the same thing' point, doesn't the same thing also apply to beat'em ups in general?
Sure, you add few extra modes and the odd super-powerful move here and there, but in the end you're still trying to beat some dude with button mashing. Soul Caliber, Tekken and Street Fighter all have the same problem DW apparantly has in that case.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
WOW an episode of Jim I actually liked... the only reason anyone ever started hating DW is because like Madden there is a new one every year and that doesn't even include the reskined clones like DW:GUNDAM.

If Koei adjusted their release schedule and made sure every game had at least 1 new feature or improvement that couldn't have been patched into the previous version people would certainly complain a lot less.

Nov 12, 2010
CriticKitten said:
Let's agree to disagree. I think the combat in all the DW games I played is pretty clunky. I like my combat to be fluent and "Devil Kings" surely delivers on that front.

Also, "Devil Kings" wasn't a knock-off of DW, but rather of the "Samurai Warriors" franchise (KOEI had nothing to do with it). But that's really beside the point, since you can argue as well that DW was a knock-off of "Streets of Rage", that in itself wouldn't make DW any less of a game. I know I'm going far here, but really, where does one draw a line? Next we'll be accusing HL to be a Doom-clone.

"Devil Kings" is even simpler than that: it drops the half-assed strategy, simplifies leveling by reducing the stats (still comes out better, there are a lot more special moves) and focuses more on the action. Since that's what mattered to Jim, I thought he should give that game a try and anyone that didn't try it should do too.

Yeah, also I couldn't care less if DW is being praised, that's called a "Bandwagon Argument", "Peer Pressure" or "Appeal to Common Practice". A fallacious argument. I.e.: the fact that DW is being praised does not make it better than "Devil Kings" in itself.

I liked what they tried to do with DW, seriously, mixing an action game and a war-game is a splendid idea. I love both genres. Yet DW suffers in execution and according to me a lot more could be done with that particular idea. Maybe I'd change my mind if I'd play the seventh game, but sadly I don't have a PS3 and I'm not planning on getting one any time soon.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I don't usually watch Jimquisition. Just not for me. Though I loves me some dynasty warriors. I was late to the party not getting on board until dw4. I love playing it with a friend especially. A human being in the same room as me. Something a lot of modern games don't understand.
Oh and

FOR SHU!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Indeed, grabbing my massive weapon and pounding the ever-loving shit out of it is how I like to relax too.

But well done to Jim for winning this round. (I think you've won more, but they'll come for me in my sleep if I say so....)

burymagnets

Nov 30, 2010
This episode seems to have been seriously controversial.

DYNASTY WARRIORS IS TEH SHIT!!

Though seriously I actually think that anyone who says they are all exactly the same simply hasn't played enough of them, DW7 is purely new content and its the biggest one yet: its got decent reviews for a reason.

I'm reminded of a terrible game that came out a few years ago called ninety-nine nights. The game was based on the same model, yet had only 7 characters, smaller movesets, more ineffectual soldiers, stupidly strong generals, terrible hit detection and it was as ugly as sin. Yet it scored higher than your usual dynasty warriors game simply because it wasn't in that series.

The games are really quite solid, and are just simple, engaging fun, yet people will still jump to needless persecution because of a mass concensus torwards their apparant poor quality.

The dynasty warriors series are clearly the Jewish community of games, and this forum is sounding like the 1940's.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
I think these are the lies Jim was referencing, so if you were trying to ironically point them out, then thank you.

Except the "same era of history" bit, which is adorable when saying it's more repetitive than shooters, who have a fetish for a couple specific and narrow time periods....
Having actually played these games, I can tell you that what I'm saying about DW is true. Koei has actually been making games in the "Romance of the 3 Kingdoms Era" or China for longer than WWII Shooters.

Koei has been using that setting since 1985.

The big lump of WW2 games didn't come until the mid-late 90s. I think it's adorable that people keep forgetting that.

DW used to be good up until the 5th installment. I'm sorry but when the move set animations look like stiff plastic on a current gen console, I think it's time for a significant update.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
Glad to see yer sticking around despite all the hate, dood. You've evolved from a "latest new series" to a highlight of my mondays (I still watch you after the LoadingReadyRun stuff, but that's nothing against you). Nothing like listening to a pudgy guy who's humorously full of himself rant on about a random video-game based topic. Here's to another fine season!

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
Woooo! Go Jim Go Jim Go Jim Go Jim!

I actually applauded at the end of this episode! Congratulations on being renewed and thank GOD for you indeed sir.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
you know to be totally honest i agree with him.

i perhaps wouldn't say "Citizen Kane" but i do equate them with the early arcade beat-em ups and play them in much the same way when i just wanna maul loads :)

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
I've always loved the DW series, so thanks Jim! Also I agree that Mario is just one button, and yet everyone is nuts about it.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
You know what strikes me as odd. Professional reviewers and sites moan about a near yearly release of Dynasty Warrior games, and usually something new is introduced each time. But a not PEEP! about fucking Madden every damn year like clockwork.

EDIT: Also, I love the DW series as well, just to say. DW 4 for the PS2 is still my personal favorite. Lu Bu is a bastard, that is all.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
I'm safe because I didn't like Contra or Streets of Rage.
I have numerous friends at varying levels of gemer-ness who love Dynasty Warriors though. The mainstay for the past 2 or 3 years has been the Gundam/DW hybrids though, we prefer smashing robots to feudal peasants. Same great voice acting too.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Glad you're staying Jim. You really grew on me after I watched your youtube vids.

And I love DW. It's a brainless game done well. It's pure fun for me. Knowing that you've mowed down over 1000 men within 20 minutes makes me feel good :3

Yes it's not done much (and could do more) for innovation in the last few years, but it's still good. I plan to get the latest one, and possibly the one after that at some point.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I've watched a few eps of Jimquisition. He makes good points, but it's this episode has cemented me as a fan of his. He's probably the only game reviewer in the western world that doesn't just write off Koei games completely, and give them an arbitrarily low score.

The rewviers that gloss over DW tend to omit the changes made, and give low scores just tend to earn a level of eternal hatred that leaves me only tolerating them. They seriously need to get someone on staff that can frikking appreciate the game.

And like others before me have said, while Koei makes minor changes, and a major change now and then, and get bashed over it, a lot of other games get away with it, and game reviewers don't seem to mind. That's just hypocracy there!

I've enjoyed playing Romance of the three Kingdoms, and Nobunaga's Ambition since the NES days.

I've played Dynasty Warriors steadily since DW3, and enjoyed the hell out of the Gundam spinoffs.

I'm still eagerly awaiting Samurai Warriors to return to a system I have. :p

I will admit that the evoloution of Dynasty Warriors is a slow one with some experimentations here and there, but overall, the little changes are worth it IMO. Especially the LARGE CHANGE of having online, and a minor change in being able to use seige machines.

I also liked DW:Strikeforce. :p

So yeah, Jim has helped restore some of my faith in humanity. I'm still misanthropic here, but still!

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
I can understand you love Dinasty Warriot... But any of the reason you give are not enough to make it the Citizen kane... It would have to be impact full and intelligent and narativelly competant to be

kwagamon

Jun 24, 2010
The last 15 seconds or so scared the shit out of me. See you next Monday, Jim!

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
FUCK YESS!!!! Thank you Jim. I too have been a fan of the series since Dynasty Warriors 2 and reveal in its mindless fun and i'm tired of seeing it get a 2 out of 10 from critics when its a game that i end up spending more time in than the latest AAA title.

Fun Fact: The Frist Dynasty Warriors was a head to head fighter...and a terrible one at that. I don't know what made them change tatics so drasticly but thank god they did.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
I wonder if that bit about this being his last episode was just a tie in to the theme of him fronting a funny opinion. I mean, his vids have all had hundreds of comments on them. Moreso than other shows in the past.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Talvrae said:
I can understand you love Dinasty Warriot... But any of the reason you give are not enough to make it the Citizen kane... It would have to be impact full and intelligent and narativelly competant to be
Yo I think that was hyperbole. Ie, deliberate exaggeration for effect.

dinggledoser

Aug 20, 2011
Sorry but Dynasty Warriors ain't no Spartan: Total Warrior.

oh yah, I also don't like how you're using the Jimquisition to ***** about how it annoys you that some people don't like the games you like.

dinggledoser

Aug 20, 2011
Sorry but Dynasty Warriors ain't no Spartan: Total Warrior.

oh yah, I also don't like how you're using the Jimquisition to ***** about how it annoys you that some people don't like the games you like.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Let's agree to disagree. I think the combat in all the DW games I played is pretty clunky. I like my combat to be fluent and "Devil Kings" surely delivers on that front.

Also, "Devil Kings" wasn't a knock-off of DW, but rather of the "Samurai Warriors" franchise (KOEI had nothing to do with it). But that's really beside the point, since you can argue as well that DW was a knock-off of "Streets of Rage", that in itself wouldn't make DW any less of a game. I know I'm going far here, but really, where does one draw a line? Next we'll be accusing HL to be a Doom-clone.

"Devil Kings" is even simpler than that: it drops the half-assed strategy, simplifies leveling by reducing the stats (still comes out better, there are a lot more special moves) and focuses more on the action. Since that's what mattered to Jim, I thought he should give that game a try and anyone that didn't try it should do too.

Yeah, also I couldn't care less if DW is being praised, that's called a "Bandwagon Argument", "Peer Pressure" or "Appeal to Common Practice". A fallacious argument. I.e.: the fact that DW is being praised does not make it better than "Devil Kings" in itself.

I liked what they tried to do with DW, seriously, mixing an action game and a war-game is a splendid idea. I love both genres. Yet DW suffers in execution and according to me a lot more could be done with that particular idea. Maybe I'd change my mind if I'd play the seventh game, but sadly I don't have a PS3 and I'm not planning on getting one any time soon.
Firstly, it's only a Bandwagon Argument if you're using the popularity itself to claim that it's a good game series. I wasn't saying that "it's praised thus it's amazing", or even necessarily that "it's praised thus it's better than DK". I was pointing out that the DW series is popular, and that within both fan and critical circles, it is more popular than DK. And that this is not accidental, because what DK does, it generally does worse than DW. Let's not leap to throw out logical fallacies without using them in the proper context, thanks, because believe it or not, saying "logical fallacy!" doesn't actually make you "win" a discussion unless the logical fallacy is actually there in the first place.

Secondly, you're teetering closer to a Slippery Slope than I was to a Bandwagon Argument by somehow suggesting that my claims were a downward spiral towards everything being a rip-off of this or that. Except that my own assertion is grounded in fact: Devil Kings and the Sengoku Basara franchise exist only to offer competition to Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors, and generally offers most of the same features. Thus it is a "rip-off" in the same sense that many space-marine-esque shooters of late could safely be called "rip-offs" of Halo: because it's virtually the same game, with the same intent and design, similar control schemes, offers very similar modes and features, and exists purely to compete with a previous game of the exact same type. There is absolutely no question whatsoever where the line is....and your attempts to blur that line haven't made it any less clear. Devil Kings is a patent rip-off of other games of the exact same sort, and there is absolutely no way to argue otherwise because the game exists entirely for the sake of competing with one of the games it emulates. It's fine if you like DK better, but let's not pretend it's completely original or even its own thing. It's not. It's someone who saw Samurai/Dynasty Warriors and said "I can do that too!" and created a very similar game.

alinos

Nov 18, 2009
Didn't realize there was so much hate towards this.

Anyone who invalidates someone else's opinion's because of something they like they are simply moron's

Jeremytroid

Jul 10, 2011
This video REALLY made me want to go buy Dynasty Warriors now. I very strongly remember Dynasty Warriors as a top-down RTS for some reason.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Togs said:

The change from 5 to 6... bad.

Change from 5 to 7... excellent.

Dynasty 7 was the best in the series since 4 (which was the best).

Though if people want a more fun Dynasty game, try Sengoku Basara.

I'mANinja

Aug 4, 2008
The thing that annoys me about DW is the crap load of games they make, with very little changed, it's the problem with games like Madden. I think cutting through throngs of enemies is a blast, and I do like DW games, especially DW: Gundam, but they release to damn many of them. Slow down the release schedule, and think of good features to add, and I will like DW even more.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
bringer of illumination said:
The problem with Dynasty Warriors isn't actually that they're bad games (even though I personally don't enjoy them.

It that all the Dynasty Warriors games are the same fucking game, only it's been released 40 billion times with a new number on the end, and every time a new one come out Jim gives it a glowing review without even mentioning the fact that it's the same FUCKING game as all the others, It's inexcusably lazy.

I hear this argument for Madden all the bloody time. It gets old.

To someone who does not like the series, the changes don't appear. Who the hell are the Jin forces, and why should you care? But for fans of the series, the changes make the game better, and gives a much better time of play for us.

Though I do agree that Jim Sterling is a prick. I'm commenting without watching the video, simply because I love the Dynasty series.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
I said:
The thing that annoys me about DW is the crap load of games they make, with very little changed, it's the problem with games like Madden. I think cutting through throngs of enemies is a blast, and I do like DW games, especially DW: Gundam, but they release to damn many of them. Slow down the release schedule, and think of good features to add, and I will like DW even more.
Read above. The changes they made from 6 to 7 were huge.

Implementation of the Renbu System PROPERLY
Introuction of the actual winners of the war, the Jin, and all the characters that come with that.

A fun mode that isn't story mode, and a unique way to unlock new stuff.

But again, to non-fans, the changes don't appear.

DuelLadyS

Aug 25, 2010
I used to play the crap out of Dynasty Warriors, back about 3/4. I overdid it back then and haven't picked up anything newer (sort of a 'why bother if they're so similar' additude)- but I gotta admit, this really has me wanting to see how different things are now that we're several versions and a new game system in...

DW can also serve as an educational aid, I discovered... back when I was going through 4, i was babysitting a first grader. He fell in love with the game, got his own copy, and played it like crazy. So one day, I brought my copy of 'Mastering the Art of War', and in-between games I told him, "all these people? They were real. This all happened hundreds of years ago in China, and that guy *points to Zhuge Liang* wrote this book." I spent the next two weeks getting badgered for info on who was who and how they related to each other (he couldn't read well enough yet to make use of the in-game info). The hardest part was trying to explain Lu Bu/Diao Chan/Dong Zhuo without getting into too much... detail.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
I love the Jimquisition. I must admit that I've never tried a Dynasty Warrior's game, but I was aware of its reputation. I think I should pick one up at my local store.

Zibong

Jun 16, 2011
As was said earlier, nice troll title there, Jim. I lol'd before I even clicked the link.

Seriously, though. DW is less Citizen Kane and more Jackie Chan during the 80's and early 90's. Campy as hell, predictable but consistent quality, and aimed toward Asian audiences. It's constantly overlooked by Western audiences, but still maintains a cult-like following in the West regardless.

Mar 28, 2011
I've not played Dynasty Warriors since 5 simply because i never know which one to get because there are so many versions. I do, however, pick up every installment of Dynasty Warriors Gundam that finds it's way to the U.K.

A game that mixes a love of Dynasty Warriors and Gundam? I THINK SO!

Panayjon

Aug 12, 2008
CriticKitten said:

I have no idea what you two are talking about but I just happened to go see the last page of the discussion. Both Samurai Warriors AND Dynasty Warriors were published through Koei by a studio called Omega Force. So a knock-off of Samurai Warriors might as well be a knock-off of Dynasty Warriors as both games were made by the same studio (who everyone mistakenly refers to as Koei).

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I'm confused...what actually makes it the Citizen Kane of Gaming?

It was hated when it first came out and is now primarily watched by film students and pretentious snobs who only care about artsy films*?

...I'm not seeing where the simile really comes into play here.

*For what it's worth, I do like Citizen Kane, I'm just not seeing how it relates to Dynasty Warriors.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
I'm personally not the biggest fan of Dynasty Warriors, but...

THIS. GAME. IS. AWESOME!!!

Hypocrisy? Negligible. The devs and style of the game are the same, but it's set in medieval Europe instead of medieval China, with squad-based ass-kicking and a wonderful variety of enemies. Yes. Please.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Wait. People are agreeing with Jim? Or at least getting the joke? When did that start happening? I though people still disagreed with Jim, here.

Anyway, I haven't played too many Dynasty Warrior games, but I have enjoyed what I have played. I just wish the allies were able to cross the street without requiring you to hold their hands. Often times I found my allies died anytime a semi competent general or commander approached them. So, I would find myself choosing between saving an ally and taking a important point. If I was playing with a friend, this was made easier (we could do both). And that was really my only real complaint. Though, I haven't picked one up in a while. I might have to if they release another good one or an interesting spin off.

Aug 17, 2010
I Liked Dynasty Warriors back when it was actually trying to make people look like the way the actually were, but then I lost interest when the whole series took every single character, took one personality trait, and turned the dial till it broke, then fucked it.

Then added nothing to the gameplay.

King of Wei

Jan 13, 2011
Interesting episode as always.

Dynasty Warriors has been one of my favorite series of games since 4. Though I do prefer the romance of the three kingdom games more for the strategic depth, DW is still damn fun and the music's better.

Kinda amazed though how Koei can but put the same game two or three times a year for a decade and have the concept still be popular. They're sure as hell doing something right.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
This is the only episode of this I watched and liked. I am just going to end with this now. I really liked this episode, and I love Dynasty Warriors, so I may watch some more of his stuff now.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I don't know jack all about Citizen Kane(I assume it's a genre defining film) so I can't say anything about the comparison Jim makes, but I did play a couple of Dynasty Warriors games and found them to be fun. They aren't deep and they aren't thought provoking but they do provide fun on a very basic level. Definitely a stress reliever.

... I didn't like the GBA one though.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
I... was also unaware of any public hatred for Dynasty Warriors o.0
Some of my fonder memories of the Xbox/Ps2 were the Dynasty Warriors games, and I'll be picking up 7 once I have some more spare cash on hand.
There IS actually a lot of strategy and depth that you CAN apply to DW, but only to whatever level you want to, in earlier stages either killing mindlessly or being strategic will work, but mindlessly killing gets much harder over time unless you've put some effort into your levels and weapons.

It's also insanely fun to try and play Chaos mode on a level 1 character >.>

-Dragmire- said:
GBA versions of a game for any other console are almost universally crap :/ exceptions exist, but not a lot.
Wasn't until the DS and PSP that handhelds started to hold ground as full consoles, and not just something to play because there was no other option :p

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
And once again the whole Escapist community wages civil war with each other with such a simple statement. Gold star. It's not so much of nerd-baiting as it is being actually influenced by it.

As for repetitive gaming, I can pretty much say the gaming generation today is pretty repetitive in its totality that the only ones that add variety and even some "new" things to the table is what I love to play.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
I should point out the "Citizen Kane" statement is facetious, used to facilitate the joke at the end involving Yahtzee and Extra Credits. The message of the video is that I like the series and some of the criticism it gets is a bit unfair. It's not really meant to argue that the game is like Citizen Kane. I've said within this very series that I find Citizen Kane comparisons stupid. T'was a bit of that old irony one hears so much about.

Anyway, blown away by the amount of people who came out to say they liked DW too. It makes a change from every other conversation I have where everyone dumps all over it. :)

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:
I should point out the "Citizen Kane" statement is facetious, used to facilitate the joke at the end involving Yahtzee and Extra Credits. The message of the video is that I like the series and some of the criticism it gets is a bit unfair. It's not really meant to argue that the game is like Citizen Kane. I've said within this very series that I find Citizen Kane comparisons stupid. T'was a bit of that old irony one hears so much about.

Anyway, blown away by the amount of people who came out to say they liked DW too. It makes a change from every other conversation I have where everyone dumps all over it. :)
For you to actually post the irony of the joke means something about the entirety of the Escapist community. I find myself that the community has become quite sensitive these days to any statement they deem false. Or that might not be the case considering how fun it is to debate .-.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
actually... I bought like 3 games... just got sick of the restart... my characters were all sooooo powerful... anyhow... God Of War China => Lu bu!!!~

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
SoulSalmon said:
-Dragmire- said:
GBA versions of a game for any other console are almost universally crap :/ exceptions exist, but not a lot.
Wasn't until the DS and PSP that handhelds started to hold ground as full consoles, and not just something to play because there was no other option :p
Ah, I didn't realize it was a port(or whatever you would call a reimagining of a particular game title to a console/handheld that can't possibly imitate the original game it's based on). I assumed Dynasty Warriors Advanced was as well designed a game as the PS2 ones were [sub](and it looked kind of like Secret of Mana on the back of the box[sub](The actual reason I bought it)[/sub][/sub].

I can't remember the particular PS2 DW games I played as I only rented them and that was years ago but they were a blast. I'll probably look into getting the most recent game once by backlog of games to play shrinks a bit.

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
Now, I don't have any problems with Dynasty Warriors, but the analogy just doesn't work. Citizen Kane was a masterpiece of direction and unconventional (for the time) storytelling... but it was -boring-.

A better analogy would be that Dynasty Warriors is the Rambo of games. It's entertaining, but not very deep or thoughtful.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well I agree with Jim's points here to an extent, but don't think he goes far enough. He's pretty much saying the same thing in defense of Dynasty Warriors, that I have said in defense of things like turn based RPGs. They might not be to everyone's taste, but there is no reason to insult them because they aren't to yours, and making absurd claims about a series or game genere goes from bad to worse when those claims become popularized by those who parrot them without even realizing how untrue they happen to be.

That said, I have to say that when I was looking at the brawler analogy being made here that the first thing that came to mind was the current "X-men: Destiny" game, which actually seemed to be a lot closer to the old school brawler dynamic than your typical Dynasty Warrior game, and left me, and a lot of other people feeling quite disappointed.

To be honest, I think one of the problems with games like "Dynasty Warriors" is the amount of money they are charging for them. These games are selling for the same, relatively high price, as other games that took more funds and efforts to develop. I think people would receive them better, and be less critical, if the prices were lowered comparitively to the actual production values of the game.

I have gone off before about how price fixing within the industry has lead to an enviroment where you generally pay the same price irregardless of the actual game quality. Without going into the issue of morality, and even the legality, of price fixing (which I have done before), the bottom line is that when you hold a game in one hand that has state of the art graphics, professionally directed FMV video sequences that give Pixar a run for it's money, celebrity voice work, and othet hings... and then say "X-Men Destiny" or "Dynasty Warriors" in the other hand with it's less than state of the art production values and realize that the same price is attached to each... then there is a definate "WTF" reaction, leading to things being judged a lot more harshly than they probably should be. I think games like the "Dynasty Warriors" franchise get slammed largely because of the price point. The thing is though that the criticisms that are parrotted oftentimes begin with professional game reviewers, who are in many cases in an awkward position where even if they somehow haven't been paid off to endorse a product and can actually review one, that certain aspects of criticism like calling a specific group of game producers a bunch of greedy crooks, are out of line. Especially when you consider that in many cases that "greed" might actually be coming from general industry corruption rather than specific publishers, with everyone cooperating in price setting so there won't be a lot of people trying to undercut anyone else and so on.

That's my thoughts on the subject, and I'm keeping it brief rather than going into another long speil on price setting and other industry practices. The bottom line here is that I think there are reasons for the massive criticism of franchises like "Dynasty Warriors" that have little to do with the question of how fun the games might be, and just aren't addressed for professional reasons. See if "Dynasty Warriors" or other brawler-type games like say "X-Men: Destiny" were sold for $20 instead of $60 brand new... well, I doubt you'd get as much criticism. In playing "Destiny" for example I was thinking back to the olllld X-men brawler which saw digital re-release not too long ago, taken as an upgrade of THAT game as opposed to a sequel to the previous "X-Men Legends" games it's pretty good, but in today's market a game of that sort that takes 4-6 hours tops to play through beating the crap out of generic enemies should not be going for $60... and the same thing applies to Dynasty Warriors.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Im glad someone who will get to more people finally said it. DW gets alot of shit by people who never played it. Usually by people who pretend new always means good.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
GRATS JIM! Lets just hope the escapist keeps you. And, ya know... pays you. They seem to have alot of trouble with that. And I love the insanity of this episode. The whole "In your face assbag trolls and haters", hearing it from you, just made my day.

And I also liked this episode as a whole. Dynasty Warriors is a pretty beat up game when it comes to reviews - with most of the reviews criticizing it for things its previous installments did. I will concede, releasing the sheer volume of games they do a year is a bit shitty, especially since the extra games usually just felt like they should be on the main game, but hey - it makes them money.

The button mashing arguement never made sence to me. Most games are button mashers. RPG's, action RPG's, Shooters, Fighters - most of them boil down to Press ___ repeatedly. Sure, you CAN switch weapons, reload, use combos, etc. but if your going to say one game is a button masher, and ignore its larger mechanics, I'll do the same for every other game.

Also, I'm really glad about what you said at the end. Because honestly, I could see you make a compelling episode about WHY it is the citizen cain of gaming. It'd be a stretch, but yeah. You got popular from nerdbaiting, and its looking like its working. Im suprised to yet see a person who said "yeah, it is" (atleast so far, Im just skimming the comments). Usually some of the people, usually the ones that fight you tooth and nail, dont get it... And quite a few others too who agree with the opinion and not realize the satire.

But yeah, thank god for you. Your the only decent thing left on this site.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Hey, DW 2 prompted me to read Three Kingdoms, which in turn caused me to study Sinology, in which I now hold a B.A.

So yeah, I liked that game :)