Jimquisition: Dynasty Warriors Is The Citizen Kane Of Gaming

rancher of monsters

Oct 31, 2010
I've been with Dynasty warriors since it was a one on one fighting game and loved it all the way. Granted the button mashing might be a little repetitive, but the same could be said for a lot of great games, Kingdom Hearts anyone? The only major problem I have is that it's basically the same story told over and over again. Granted, they do what they can to spice up each battle and the game is tied to history, but there's only so many times you can set fire to Chi Bi before it gets dull.

Oct 30, 2010
I remember having a great time playing some Dynasty Warriors game with a friend of mine. It never carried over to my regular gaming habits because I didn't have a PS2, and later on a sense (I don't know where it originated) that there was a lot of shit and it would be too much work to figure out which game was the diamond in the rough.

I certainly have an affinity for the concept, however.

Even just as a hook, invoking Citizen Kane is weird.

pigmy wurm

Nov 18, 2009
I played a good chunk of my friends DW5 (at least I think it was 5), it was really fun but got a bit repetitive and when I then played a bit of DW4 it just felt like I was playing the exact same game. That doesn't make it bad, their are series that I like that the same complaint has been brought against (zelda). Granted I haven't played the more recent ones and if a friend picked it up I would sit down and enjoy it, but I can't see myself picking it up. Really makes you wish for the days of being able to easily rent a game because Dynasty Warriors seems like the perfect rent game.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
I haven't played Dynasty Warriors, but the rant reminded me of Barbarian Onslaught: The Secret of Steel [http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/498326] - a cute little flash game where you do mash one button to win. And it's a lot deeper and more fun than you'd expect.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
SOMEBODY STOP HIM! HE'S GONE MAD WITH POWER!!

LoL I kid, funny stuff Jim. I don't really have an opinion on Dynasty Warriors, never really played it enough to make an impression on me. What I have played left me rather bored, but if you like it then good for you. I prefer my gaming catharsis to come from Burnout. But that game can cause as much stress as it relieves on some occasions, depending on the game mode.

Interesting you would say that Dynasty Warriors is like a modern version of old beat-em-ups. I was thinking about that topic not long ago. I was thinking that games like DMC and God of War are like the modern version of beat-em-ups in layout but their control scheme is more like that of full on fighting games. That gave me the idea of mating the co-op multiplayer of these older beat-em-ups with the modern DMC types. That would be a totally awesome game, although I'm guessing near impossible to implement. Although you could argue that they are aiming to do that with the Darksiders series, but the game has a much wider focus than just combat, so I guess it isn't really the same thing. That and the fact they haven't even got to the point of trying to do it yet.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
It seems Jim is taking his new found freedom to terrifying extremes... What hell have we unleashed?

Anyway, I personally don't like Dynasty Warriors, but I don't hold it against anyone for enjoying it.

dontlooknow

Mar 6, 2008
How can DW be the Citizen Kane of gaming and "the video game equivalent of a stress ball"? I don't remember Citizen Kane being very cathartic; maybe Jim means to compare it to something like Die Hard? To use that two hour ponderous slog as an analogy of a fast-paced hackathon, whether the outcome is a positive or negative review, seems a bit far fetched.

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
Yay! More Jimquisition episodes to look forward to! I got really worried when he brought up the possibility that this could have been his last episode.

92Sierra

Oct 12, 2009
I rarely watch your episodes, but this got my attention. Because I am a DW fan. I owe the game series my life. Thanks to it, I read the Romance of Three Kingdoms which led to me taking Asian History classes, which led me to learning Chinese which is now taking me to China and from there I will take a job as a linguist or something. So yeah, Dynasty Warriors is the start of it all for me. I owe it my life. Who'd have thought?

Also the camp with the ROTK characters (figures of history) is nothing unique to DW. China has always done this and the figures are ridiculously prevalent in China. I recently came across a collectible card card game of ROTK.

Meanwhile, Koei has finally listened to me:http://troy-game.com/ I've been saying that they should do this since I first discovered Dynasty Warriors.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
I was also unaware that people ragged on Dynasty Warriors - I will admit the number of releases the series gets is a little silly, but you only really ever need to buy one version per console generation and you're good.

therockdemon

Mar 17, 2011
i am sorry to say jim but you are wrong DW is not the citizen kane of gaming, it is a good series but not good enough to change gaming like citizen kane did for films

K V MAN

Sep 20, 2010
thank you jim so much i love DW games and have been playing it since 2 and i will be using your video to prove that this game is the best also people compare DW games to EA sport games i would like to say that DW games upgrade the gameplay mechanics every installment and if any one would like the best DW game then it is DW7 that thing is 7 levels of crazy and as jim put it cathartic fun

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
therockdemon said:
i am sorry to say jim but you are wrong DW is not the citizen kane of gaming, it is a good series but not good enough to change gaming like citizen kane did for films
I think it's time for you to learn a new word.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/joke

You're welcome.

As always, thank God for Jim Sterling. He is the highlight of my otherwise miserable Mondays.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Just a little more crazy and some better timing and this could be almost funny.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I don't like DW. I don't have anything against people who like it, but it's not my cup of tea.

I understand the need to turn off the brain and enjoy something mindless, but unfortunately I can't do that. My brain is always working, it always needs something stimulating and/or creative. The only thing that comes close to mindless gaming are free roaming games like Just Cause 2, GTA and Saints Row. But even those games aren't mindless because in order to have fun with those games you have to be creative. You still have to think. And in GTA and SR you even have a story you can care about that keeps you playing. DW doesn't have that. It relies solely on mindless killing for no reason. And to me, that's just not fun.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
Once again, I can't help but agree with Jim. I love DW and have several including the Gundam spin-offs. I've seen the hate he speaks of, but never bothered getting into a discussion with detractors. My one complaint is that they're so damn expensive for what they offer. I generally buy my games after the price drops, but by the time a DW game lowers in price, the next one's already out (or almost, anyway).

PeterDawson

Feb 10, 2009
I greatly enjoy the series, as well as Samurai and Gundam. Not big on Legends of Troy or Ken's Rage. I absolutely love Warriors Orochi and I am sad that both Warriors Orochi Z and Samurai Warriors 3 forh te PS3 were not released in North America. More people need to buy Koei games, tell the idiots at Gamestop to actually pay attention when they make reviews (Seriously, they got two characters who had nothing in common besides being Chinese mixed up, how racist is that?), and keep the series going. Sure my favorite game of all time is probably a more in-depth game like Fallout 2, Persona 4 or Chrono Trigger, but very little beats the basic feeling of beating hordes of men with a giant sword.