Jimquisition: Dynasty Warriors Is The Citizen Kane Of Gaming

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Funny as always. Nothing like seeing your "mad" side.

Thank god, for you.

And thank god, for next monday. <3

BaronOfStuff

Sep 12, 2011
Next time someone bashes the DW series for being boring, button-mashing nonsense, I'm going to direct them to this video and laugh at them.

Yes, yes, it is mindless violence and mass-slaughter, but then that's what it had always set itself out to be from DW2 onward. It loosely follows a heavily-dramatised version of ancient Chinese history, so there's your story.

I really couldn't agree more with Jim on this one. I've loved the DW series ever since DW3; I had played DW2 previously, and while it was fun for a while it I found it to be nowhere near as engrossing nor satisfying as almost every subsequent game. DW3 blew DW2 away completely; various weapons, more characters, more (and better-designed) stages, equippable items that improve stats, mounts... and that holy grail of gaming, a 2-player mode. The fact that it looked infintiely better was just a bonus. DW4 changed things a bit and wasn't quite as addictive as DW3 (grinding for weapon experience was a HUGE chore for the crappier characters), but this was soon corrected with DW5, when for me, the obsession began all over again.

DW6 was a bit shit. They changed far too much in ways that were a step back (especially the characters), but from what I've seen of DW7 so far it looks like I'm going to be glued to the telly again soon. For a long time.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
DW is a good series, with fun gameplay, but the problem is that Koei feels the need to treat it like activision treated Guitar Hero, "Let's release dozens of games with the exact same gameplay but never add anything new!">

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Honestly, I don't mind Dynasty Warriors. I got a friend who really likes them and I've played a bit of one or two of them. Hell just this weekend I was at his house and we popped it in and killed a few hours killing mindless enemy drones. That being said, I find the game very repetitive and view it in much the same way I view Call of Duty now, its mindless fun with a couple of friends, but not something I would play by myself for any extended period of time.

12th_milkshake

Nov 20, 2008
i totally agree, it is the citizen Kane of gaming, Being largely shit and really dull, with stupid overtone of being more than it is.

RooooosseeeBUDD!

Mar 29, 2008
I'm glad my former roomates and I aren't alone on this one, dynasty warriors is awesome, and it makes a great party game.

Now, its time for lunch, time to find me some dim sum. *picks up his spear and heads to china town*

red the fister

Mar 11, 2009
well, i do believe jim has lost his fucking mind!

that said, i'm gonna rethink my opinion of the DW series. i played the shit out of Streets of Rage (1 and 2) back in the day and i loved it.
i guess the jump to 3D threw my perspective off a bit...

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
This show gets better and better! Can't wait for next monday...

wait a minute...

it's monday....

HOLYCRAPSHITMONKEYBALLSTHERESANEWMANLYGUYSDOINGMANLYTHINGSANDIHAVERNTSEENITYET

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
I had know clue your show was close to getting cancelled. Keep up the good fight Jim.
Also a full fledged Kirby episode would be epic

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Glad there's going to be more Jim next week. I would have been bummed out if there'd hadn't.

Good episode.
There's a bunch of games I like that are just simple, brainless fun which a lot of other people won't touch too.

Kekkles

Feb 19, 2010
Jim Sterling said:
I like how easily manipulated people are on here... tsk, tsk. I've enjoyed every DW game since it opened with it's 1v1 fighter and never knew that people disliked it seeing as it always sold out every time I went to buy the latest one. Which is 7. And I still haven't got a copy!!!

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Speaking of Koei... I'd like to see a Destrega remake. Back in its heyday that it was the closest we ever got to playing an episode of Dragon Ball.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Don't get me wrong here, I'm glad you're coming back next week and all the weeks after that.
I've always liked what you had to say, I haven't always agreed with it but I've always been glad someone has said it. This week though, I'm left a little cold. Everything you said may be a fair endorsement of Dynasty Warriors but I don't think it's an apt comparison to Citizen Kane. I know why you did it, but this leads me to believe you haven't seen Citizen Kane, or at least that you've stopped giving a shit.

I love your show because it's both insightful and angry. This episode was neither.

Southpaw Samurai

Mar 2, 2010
Dynasty Warriors' beat'em up lineage becomes blatantly obvious when one considers the bunch of Three Kingdoms manga based arcade side scrolling beat'ems up that came in the early 90's.

Warriors of Fate is one of the American versions of the games. I don't remember if that's the one where the names of the characters were changed, but anyone who's familiar with Dynasty Warriors will easily pick out Guan Yu, Zhang Fei, Zhao Yun, and the other Shu warriors you can play as no matter what they're called.

Jim's title is as inaccurate as it is inflammatory, but the points he makes are actually all very valid and spot on. Games serve many purposes and some of those purposes are to be distracting, relaxing, and just fun.

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
Dynasty Warriors never left much of an impact on me, though I can see now why other people can love the series. I look at the Spider-Man games in a similar fashion I suppose. Where Dynasty Warriors lets you blow off steam by killin' tons of dudes easily, Spider-Man just swings casually and lets you chill out.

It's always good to pick up a game that's just chill. In fact, I think I'm gonna go find the nearest copy of Dynasty Warriors and give that a go!

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
Jim Sterling said:
Drunk with power, Jim Sterling abuses his position to start sneaking out some of his more ruinous opinions. In this episode, he divulges his love for Dynasty Warriors and somehow thinks he'll get away with it. Will he inspire others to confess their secret shame, or will he bring pitchforks and torches to his door?
Yeah? What you want? Calling my name out and stuff.

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
I love Dynasty Warriors. Button masher it may be, but among the rest of my mostly strategy-based library, it and Halo 3 are the ones I go to just to let off some steam. It's like how I would usually watch films like The Prestige or Spirited Away, but sometimes I just gotta have me some Kick-Ass. It is cathartic, and it just makes a nice way of making a change and just killing some stuff.