Jimquisition: Dynasty Warriors Is The Citizen Kane Of Gaming

warfjm

Nov 14, 2007
From the clips you've shown, the game looks boring and repetitive. Once you kill a mob of 100+ people, you turn around and oh, kill another mob of 100+ people.

The difference between button mashers (DW especially) and SMB is that SMB has varied platforming. Yes, you are running and jumping, but the obstacles put in front of you are varied enough that it eventually takes skill to beat the end levels.

Not hating on DW fans, but it just looks boring to me.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Extra Credits covered this before.

Seriously. Great stuff as always. I've never paid much attention to the series and I doubt I ever will, but I can't see it as much different gameplay-wise than Ninja Gaiden and I love that.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Hm.Myself - I absolutely love Fist of The North Star Ken's Rage, which is in many places similar to DW series. I like such stuff, but DW lacks gore and that puts me away. When I hack away I wanna see bouncing chunks of meat.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Being a fat guy is depressing, because our clothing options are so limited that you can pretty much tell where other fat guys shop at a glance because we all own the same wardrobe.

For example, I guess Jim paid a visit to the old Casual Male XL/Big & Tall store a while ago, because I have (and incidentally wore yesterday) the SAME "Flash" graphic t-shirt.

I won't be surprised if I also see him in the Green Lantern shirt, the Blue Superman shirt, the Grey Batman shirt, the white-gray transformers, or any of the "Big Dawg" t-shirts.

Sadly, I even think I own that exact same sport-coat.

Fluffy guys are the newest oppressed minority.

ShadowGandalf01

Oct 3, 2011
I too began my love of DW with DW3... a demo of DW3 actually. I then got DW3 in full, followed over the years by DW4, DW4XL, DW4E, DW5, DW5XL, DW5E, DW6, DW6E and DW7. (DW7XL is apparently coming soon). I've enjoyed every one of them. although, yes, DW6 & E were the weakest so far... but i loved 7.

Also, my primary loyalty is with Shu and Liu Bei... and my fave warrior is Zhou Yun, with Guan Yu coming close 2nd.

Theo Rob

Jun 30, 2010
finally a positive video about the DW series. I've been a fan since the first hack and slash style game (DW2 if im right) and am looking forward to 7's Xtreme legends.

its a shame that some people cant handle simple-minded fun nowdays.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
To me, the crux of this argument fall a bit flat because I DON'T consider Golden-Axe or it's ilk to be classics, then again they're a bit before my time but they still don't wow me with their simplicity in violent catharsis.

Plus I think the camp value you're so fond of has varying milage at best.

On the other hand, I don't hate Dynasty warriors or think it's a bad series, I just don't think much of it either way, it's not for me but that doesn't mean it can't be good at what it does.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
By his description of it, I don't see how it can be called "The Citizen Kane of Gaming".
He makes it sound like an equivalent of a cheesy action blockbuster - which is not a bad thing, in my opinion.
I have a PSP but never got to play this game. Maybe I'll give it a chance sometime.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Yeah, except Citizen Kane earns its status by pioneering all the basic cinematography and narrative techniques that have been used since (well, up until the advent of CGI added new possibilities, but we're still exploring that). Dynasty Warriors doesn't really pioneer anything, it just builds on what's come before. Not that this is necessarily a bad game, but that's something I can't comment on as I've never played it, but based on what your describing, calling Dynasty Warriors the Citizen Kane of video games doesn't hold up.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Multiple game commentators commenting on the same games? the madness! the insanity! the sheer butthurtness of it all! bwahahaha!

But seriously...

You know what? I liked Dynasty Warriors. I liked the spinoff Samurai Warriors too. My problem is, the series suffers from "Madden-itis". Its new releases tend to offer very little, other than inconsequential technical upgrades and roster updates. Even Pokemon's essentially stagnant gameplay offers something new with every iteration, and I just don't get that from Koei. Double Dragon, Battletoads, Ninja Turtles, Contra... they all didn't vary much from the formula either, but at least offered new enemy types and challenging new boss fights in the sequels... something more to test the mettle than sheer zombie numbers and unforgiving timers.

If Dynasty Warriors 7 or that curious Dynasty Warriors Gundam thing changed up the formula or added gameplay modes that were actually different in some way, then I apologize, but I haven't seen anything in them or since to justify a new purchase. Nothing worth dropping $60 or more on, when I can get the same experience for free playing Dynasty Warriors 5 or Samurai Warriors 1 through again.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
I only played a demo of Dinasty Warriors on the PS3 a few months ago and it bored me silly, so I guess I'm not the target audience for this thing :p.
BTW, congrats Jim. When I commented on the first video, I felt the show lacked identity. I'm still not crazy about the delivery but I've come to enjoy your topics. And I started visiting Destructoid because of this series, too!
Keep it up!

MAUSZX

May 7, 2009
I have played one DW... I think it was the 7.... anyway I didn't play it long, but I didn't say it's bad... more like a meh game... anyway I think Zelda is the Citizen Kane

Velocity Eleven

May 20, 2009
I dont see how DW games are any more repetitive than most other games... and even so I dont see how it would be a problem. its all about long-term development, it helps for you to make long-term decisions about how to develop your characters

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Jim Sterling said:
Dynasty Warriors Is The Citizen Kane Of Gaming

Drunk with power, Jim Sterling abuses his position to start sneaking out some of his more ruinous opinions. In this episode, he divulges his love for Dynasty Warriors and somehow thinks he'll get away with it. Will he inspire others to confess their secret shame, or will he bring pitchforks and torches to his door?

Watch Video
never been into DW, mostly due to the costumes, BUT, i personally have nothing against them, in fact i have a 'DW' game in my collection just for the purpose of committing genocide

Drakenguard, nothing like murdering tons of doods on dragon back :D
Warhammer 40k: Space Mairine's single player works for this as well

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Title is troll bait obviously. As for my opinion on Dynasty Warriors it had one good game in the series and that was any single one game, I myself can't find enough difference from game to game to ever buy the new games, when I can just put in a disc I already own and get the same experience. Also I hate the he did it first commenter too, this is the age of the internet everything has been covered in every way, from every view point before.

Dash-X

Aug 17, 2009
Hm. If he enjoyed DW, then he might also enjoy "Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders" and "Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes" for the original X-Box... If he can find it.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I've been considering getting into DW for a while now.

No idea where to start though...

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
lol!

Loved this weeks episode, the mock arrogance and powermadness was capped beautifully with this review of dynsaty warriors. Video game equivilent of a stressball, brilliant!