Jimquisition: Dynasty Warriors Is The Citizen Kane Of Gaming

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
I thought I would NEVER see the day where someone with a actual rank in video gaming would find it in there livers to say something nice about the humble Dynasty warriors franchise. This video made my day. Maybe even the rest of the year.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Dash-X said:
Hm. If he enjoyed DW, then he might also enjoy "Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders" and "Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes" for the original X-Box... If he can find it.
Don't forget 99 Knights and 99 Knights part duex!

LittleMountain

Oct 10, 2011
This video has finally convince me to join up to the escapist forums to say this.

Bloody good show, sir. As someone who also enjoys Dynasty Warriors and it's many many (many) spinoffs and sequels, I felt obligated to support this.

To anyone who enjoys said games, I recommend you check out Sengoku Basara . It's basically like...if Samurai Warriors is Warring States Era Japan on drugs, Sengoku Basara is Samurai Warriors on a lot more, better drugs.

And now to watch all of Jimquisition's videos. Hail Jim Sterling!
Nice chainsword, by the way.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I love this show.

As for Dynasty Warriors, I played a couple of them last gen. They were fun. I also enjoyed Ninety Nine Nights as well, though the sequel put me off for some reason. Still, nothing wrong with a bit of hackey slashy goodness. It's always good for a laugh.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
This is the funniest episode I've seen in awhile. Thank god for Jim!

[sub]I've always hated people who blindly criticize.[/sub]

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
bahumat42 said:
AHH Finally something to agree with :D

shame i can only play the ps2 ones :(
You're on a PC, right? There's a Dynasty Warriors MMO, plays a lot like the console games, too.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
EverythingIncredible said:
My beef with Dynasty Warriors is just that it is repetitive. I think that's what people mean when they say that Dynasty Warriors is a button masher.

Contra is not repetitive. And neither is Super Mario Bros. But I can understand if you like it.

Though, Koei has done not a damn thing to win me over. And I've tried. Oh, how I've tried to get into their style of games. But almost every one of their titles are either sub par or just downright boring.
every mario title pre64 era: jump run jump run jump maybe throw. yeah..
every contra title: jump shoot run jump duck shoot shoot stab.. did i mention jump and shot....yeah i think were done here.
Dynasty warriors is repetitive yes bit in the sort of mind numbing stress relieving repetition. I'm not gonna lie, i was on the dynasty warrior hate bandwagon. but in truth i never really hated it, i just didn't care that much

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
I have fond memories of playing Dynasty Warriors 2 on the ps2. I do think that there are way too many unnecessary sequels of the franchise (without enough innovation), but i might pick up the most recent DW for the ps3 to see what has changed since DW2. I agree with Jim on the whole Final Fight/streets of rage analogy.

OutsiderEX

Jul 18, 2011
DIN-AH-STEE. IT'S PRONOUNCED DIN-AH-STEE!

Now that's out the way; I've always like the Dynasty Warrior series. In fact, were it not for the series, I probably never would have read the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. The only problem with the series is that I can't play the games for more then a few hours at a time before my hands start hurting.

In fact, I'm actually a big fan of Koei's habit of taking historical settings and making them absolutely ridiculous. One of my favourite periods of history and one I've read about in great detail is the Hundred Years War, so Bladestorm was a treat (although part of that treat was getting to grouse on about how everything is wrong).

Apr 28, 2008
I also love Dynasty Warriors.

I have fond memories of staying up until the wee hours with my friends just murdering everyone.

Ah, such fun.

I also love the Empire's spin-offs. Mainly because I just love going from a tiny province to a huge empire.

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
I think Dynasty warriors is good but I can't bring myself to buy another version of it because it takes about 3 games between each title for any semblance of change to occur, I can literally play the older titles and have the same experience as one of the newer ones.

Also, wow man on internet is troll, haven't seen/heard this before. Not to totally discredit Jim though I've liked some of his videos for example the ones about PC gaming and Pre owned sales "hurting the industry" most of the others just seem like inane ramblings I can get off a common 4chan post.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
therockdemon said:
i am sorry to say jim but you are wrong DW is not the citizen kane of gaming, it is a good series but not good enough to change gaming like citizen kane did for films
Wow.

I didn't realise that people actually took Jim seriously...

Really?

OT: I quite liked his outburst at the end about how he won.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Togs said:
Yes Dynasty Warriors is therapeutic, but its still shallow shovelware.

Im definately one of the haters but its not because I dont like the game its because I hate what Koei have done with the series, released the same game year in year out with an everincreasing number of minor but often ridiculous changes.
you mean like what EA and activision do each year?

speaking of which, isnt it ironic that reviewers praise the hell out of madden and call of duty for those reasons yet bash DW for the same reason?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I hated Final Fight, Streets of Rage, and Golden Axe. Also modern ones like Castle Crashers. So I guess I'll just keep pretending that I've never even heard of this franchise.

Was it really going to be the last episode though? If so, that's hilarious. Take that, haters.