Jimquisition: Dynasty Warriors Is The Citizen Kane Of Gaming

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
I, too, like Dynasty Warriors, moreso the Empires versions because that's everything Jim mentioned + conquering a nation with whomever I please as ruler. (Yes, even an edit officer) BOW TO ME, FICTIONAL CHINA!

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Considering that the Kinetiscope was the first limited use of "cinema" in 1893

And "Galaxy Game" was the first Video Game in 1971

We are not even close to the same stage of development of Cinema.

Citizen Kane was not made till 1942 where it was mostly ignored till the 1950's and was only universally accepted as a great film by about 1963. So that is a whole 70 years before the Citizen Kane is both made and RECOGNISED.

However, Video games are in effect age adjusted in 1933. What did cinema have in 1933?

-king Kong: big extravaganza, people recognised unequivocally that cinema was capable of things that a theatrical production never could, but it's hardly high brow. It's action and adventure with rather cheesy plot and characterisation (COD?)
-European art-house films really pushed definitions but were not global financial successes (Suda 51 games?)
-only JUST introduced to concept of "Montage" with the The Battleship Potemkin, something really unique to film as an ARTISTIC medium. Yet it wasn't widely sued/accepted for many years later.

So really we are only "lagging behind" cinema if we don't make the said amazing game by 2020, and have it recognised by 2041.

I'd say Dynasty Warrior's is more the Stagecoach of gaming. It's a fun cheesy romp fighting apache and bandits.

It could be that Portal is the Citizen Kane of gaming... really we must wait 20 years to truly tell.

Again, the "Citizen Kane of" isn't becessarily your favourite game, it's just fucking Citizen Kane!

ForensicYOYO

Jun 12, 2010
Looks like he let out some steam in this one. No facts just stating his opinion. Well Im happy to see he is staying.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
This is a shocking coincidence. Just today I was thinking about how I should get back into DW7, since I never really completed much of it, and how I miss it.

I think I love you.

Edit: Also,
OutsiderEX said:
DIN-AH-STEE. IT'S PRONOUNCED DIN-AH-STEE!
This, an-....
I've always like the Dynasty Warrior series. In fact, were it not for the series, I probably never would have read the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
Hang on a second, are you me?

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
You're out of your fucking MIND, Jim!!

Everyone knows that Crash Bandicoot is the Citizen Kane of gaming, whereas Dynasty Warriors is merely Spartacus... GAWD! :p

Delighted that I'll be getting a large British man shrieking into my ear holes for even more Mondays to come!
Congratulations, you mad bastard! Turns out poking the hornet's nest that is gamer opinions with a red hot poker is a good tactic, after all.

Also, I may just play DW at some point... Just so I can get some cathartic rage release going on. Been one awful, awful day.

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
DW was my first Ps2 game. Best game series ever. Except the first Ps3 release. Which was wank. Wank and 7 still costs 40 fucking quid here.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I like the concept of Dynasty warriors... but the little things turn me off.

I don't know, it's like the difference between Doom and another doom-clone, everything is there, it just doesn't do it right.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Everything he said about Dynasty Warriors can be said about Devil May Cry, and I prefer DMC over DW, but that's simply a matter of taste, I just prefer DMC's combat system over the DW one.

This is just my opinion, of course, I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying it's a matter of personal preference.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Kinda went too overboard there at the end Jim and lost me. And c'mon now, let's be serious, Dynasty Warriors isn't bad, but Citizen Kane? It's more like every summer Hollywood blockbuster. Cheap popcorn fun, but not worth taking at a serious angle. I'll still play one every handful of years, but personally I like mixing up other mindless fun games in the mean time for more variety.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Okay, I've slowly been liking the Jimquisition more and more over time, but this one DEFINITELY won me over. Sure it's over the top, like way, WAY over the top, but I am okay with that. Jim has won a special place in my heart.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
OutsiderEX said:
DIN-AH-STEE. IT'S PRONOUNCED DIN-AH-STEE!
The dictionary says it can go either way. [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dynasty] And calm down, God forbid people from different regions of the world say words a bit different than you.

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
To me this just shows a total lack of knowledge about Citizen Kane. The movie was nearly 20 years ahead of it's time, the plot was a beautifully crafted personal drama, the acting changed peoples concepts on what good acting was, and the film was written/directed and stared, Orson Welles, and the film is also responsable for the death of Welles' career due to the opinion and machinations of one man(Namely the person it was designed to portray: William Randolph Hurst).

Dynasty Warriors by contrast wasn't ahead of it's time at all when it came out, in fact it was par for the course, it's horribly voice acted, was created by a massive design team who all had say in it's various parts, and it's release didn't kill anyone's career, rather it gave the team the right to just keep re-releasing the same crappy game for decades with only slight changes like "NOW THEY'RE GUNDAMS!!!"... Oh, and the plot of those games is generally shit and is a war drama (I think, if that) with characters as shallow as a kiddie pool.

I hate it when people do this; just because you heard a phrase on Family Guy or whatever doesn't mean you understand it and can use it. Words aren't just supposed to be thrown around at random to convey tone, they are supposed to be backed up with a solid understanding of subject matter and are to be weaved with that subject matter in mind. Let me show you what I mean:

Dynasty Warriors is the Power Rangers of gaming. It was really cool to 12-year-olds when it came out but didn't really do anything special aside from providing an assault of violence and bright flashing lights but for some reason it has a massive adult following mostly built on nostalgia and it just won't fucking end.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
I like Dynasty Warriors - mostly because it has two-player and killing bunches of things with my fiance is fun... having to unlock the girls and finding one to play and choosing all the effeminate men in their stead when they aren't available not withstanding. Also, it's a handy way to keep the names of people straight if one should ever be faced with the prospect of having to read the Romance of the Three Kingdoms for class.

mronoc

Nov 12, 2008
It's an okay action franchise that's earned a lot of (perfectly valid) contempt for basically being the Madden of action games.

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
Wow Jim, at the end there it seemed like you'd been suffering from "The Simpsons Did It" syndrome.

Was your world looking like nothing but yellow walls, dick jokes, and memes used to solidify your points?

Anyways I think your best point was about arbitrarily shrugging Dynasty Warriors just because being just as shallow as what people say the games are.

Though you then say one of the best things about the series is it's simplicity and lack of depth.

I got the point but i found that train of thought interesting anyways.

It's true though, Tetris is simple, but I'd consider it one of the most played and enjoyed games ever.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
This is on the premise that my gamer mindset has some hypocrisy in it when in fact it covers my uncaring nature for the series just fine. So I'll be giving it a pass, still. :p This said, I blow off steam via composing music....or writing a novel, so I *really* have no incentive on picking up the game. lol

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
I really enjoyed the series on the ps2, i haven't got ps3 so i haven't really kept up with it, but during the time on the ps2 it was awesome i had really good mind numbing fun.

Iggy Rufflebar

Mar 26, 2008
DW rocks my socks.

got every game since dynasty warriors 2, huge fan of the series.

may not be getting dynasty warriors 7 extreme legends though, i'm not interested in the same game but with 3 extra characters for the £40, although, when it goes down in price....

sordcooper

Sep 14, 2010
THANK GOD SOME ONE FINALLY SAID IT! i mean shit i've been saying dynasty warriors was great for years, but do people listen?... well, yah if you tie them down first and work them over with the flog a little, but thats a whole other story!

but really i am a pretty big fan of the DW series (having owned damned near everything from 2 to 5-extreme legends/empires) my only real complaint about the franchise is that game play modes and strategies that are available in empires and legends arnt around in the main game! i mean it would be awesome to make my little Chinese death machine and beat up cannon characters before switching to the last guy i pummeled's campaign WITHOUT having to switch disks first! ... oh, and they got rid of the bodyguards that are basicly characters in their own rights in favor of just doing that with horses... that sucked