Jimquisition: Dynasty Warriors Is The Citizen Kane Of Gaming

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
I didn't just play Dynasty Warriors. I played Dynasty Warriors Gundam, and liked it. Didn't understand much of it, but I enjoyed playing it.

There, I said it.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
It's a pity that most of you will never know the sweet embrace of the 3DS version, since they added some really good changes to it.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
AnotherAvatar said:
To me this just shows a total lack of knowledge about Citizen Kane.

It was really cool to 12-year-olds when it came out but didn't really do anything special aside from providing an assault of violence and bright flashing lights but for some reason it has a massive adult following mostly built on nostalgia and it just won't fucking end.
I think it's time to introduce you to a post from the first page of this topic:

Raika said:
I think it's time for you to learn a new word.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/joke

You're welcome.

As always, thank God for Jim Sterling. He is the highlight of my otherwise miserable Mondays.
Sometimes, another poster just happens to come along and do your work for you. Happy times :).

Though to me, Dynasty Warriors owes more to Dr Strangelove than Citizen Kane. Not to discredit Jim's views on the matter, but I just see the influences of that film as being more apparent.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Like Saints Row The Third, jim has now gone completely off the deep end. Well, don't let me stop you, jim. Dive down that rabbit hole until you reach the center of the earth.

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
dontlooknow said:
How can DW be the Citizen Kane of gaming and "the video game equivalent of a stress ball"? I don't remember Citizen Kane being very cathartic; maybe Jim means to compare it to something like Die Hard? To use that two hour ponderous slog as an analogy of a fast-paced hackathon, whether the outcome is a positive or negative review, seems a bit far fetched.
That was the joke. He had gone crazy from people saying the Extra credits had said everything he has said before so he said something ridiculous that they couldn't possibly say came from extra credits.

OT: Great episode, and you going crazy was as funny as it was disturbing.

MisterDyslexo

Feb 11, 2011
You know, there's always some truth behind what he has to say, no matter how ridiculous it may be, and I think that for this its that sometimes all a game needs to be really good is to provide a good outlet for catharsis. And yes, some people do get it all out in different ways, but not everybody. Some people exercise, some people write. Me, I stomp around in an 80-ton Mech and blow shit up. And really, what use is a game that can't provide you with a positive feeling?

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Dynasty Warriors is epic, I'm pretty sure I've played all the main series ones since number 1, Zang Wei for the win.

Cranyx

Mar 6, 2011
It seems that he's self contradicting when he calls it the "Citizen Kane" of gaming. The reason he loves it so much is because it's a mindless good time, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's not what made Citizen Kane great. Citizen Kane is considered to be the greatest movie of all time because of very technical aspects, things that can (and have been) analyzed in a classroom to the most minute detail and explaining WHY it is exceptional. It seems according to Jim, DW is better compared to a really fun Summer flick that is just fun to watch, but might not be exceptional from an intellectual standpoint.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Samurai Warriors included?

-shrug-

Ive always liked DW like he said...killin dudes is fun...why MOAR games need bots...

I havent tried any of the newer ones...seems wasteful of $60 and Rapestop doesnt like to go down on some things to a "reasonable" level

faspxina

Feb 1, 2010
YES! Thank God for this man.
As stagnating as the series has been, it always manages to entertain me and I always keep coming back to it.

Bluecho

Dec 30, 2010
Anyone who jumped to refute Jim's assertion that Dynasty Warriors is the Citizen Kane of gaming must first ask themselves a question: why do I hold Citizen Kane in such high regard? Is it truley a masterpiece of cinema? Or just another film among the many produced during that era?

For those who've never seen the film themselves, you have no right to talk about it with such reverance simply because so many film buffs hold it in high regard. For those that have seen it, fair enough.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
I love how some people are taking the comparison to Citizen Kane completely 100% literally. These people clearly don't know Jim.

Bakuryukun

Jul 12, 2010
Thanks for showing Dynasty Warriors some love, Jim! I've always really enjoyed the series as a part of a well-balanced gaming breakfast.

As a matter of fact, I'ma play some Orochi Warriors right now.

Feb 9, 2011
I suddenly have an urge to play some Dynasty Warriors. I've played through most of them and I don't think I've ever noticed the comparison to the old school button smashers like Final Fight. Shame...

Good eye.