Jimquisition: Dynasty Warriors Is The Citizen Kane Of Gaming

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
The DW series is far too repetitive and shallow for my tastes. But I do love Serious Sam for a lot of the same reasons you love DW.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
What kind of twat would cancel the Jimquisition? I've been a fan since episode one, you know, back when everyone hated his guts.

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
MarsProbe said:
AnotherAvatar said:
To me this just shows a total lack of knowledge about Citizen Kane.

Dynasty Warriors is like Power Rangers: It was really cool to 12-year-olds when it came out but didn't really do anything special aside from providing an assault of violence and bright flashing lights but for some reason it has a massive adult following mostly built on nostalgia and it just won't fucking end.
I think it's time to introduce you to a post from the first page of this topic:

Raika said:
I think it's time for you to learn a new word.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/joke

You're welcome.

As always, thank God for Jim Sterling. He is the highlight of my otherwise miserable Mondays.
Sometimes, another poster just happens to come along and do your work for you. Happy times :).

Though to me, Dynasty Warriors owes more to Dr Strangelove than Citizen Kane. Not to discredit Jim's views on the matter, but I just see the influences of that film as being more apparent.

... There wasn't anything funny about his statement. Did you laugh when you read "Dynasty Warriors is the Citizen Kane of gaming"? If you did you have an odd sense of humor and I'd wager you'd be the only one. I'm very clear on the definition of a joke, I made a joke at the end relating Dynasty Warriors to Power Rangers (which you even sited, though you managed to cut off the part that... you know, had it make sense), jokes are about timing and amusement, and the best ones are about making an amusing and ACCURATE statement (unless you attend the Family Guy school of comedy, in which case you can fuck right off).

"Dynasty Warriors is the Citizen Kane of Gaming" is a statement, a rather inaccurate one I'd expect from a slack-jawed hick who's complete grasp on Citizen Kane was afforded to him by the Simpsons episode.

All I ask is that people think before they speak, especially if they're replying to my post, and if you're under the age of 18, then just don't bother.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I like how he claims that DW is the Citizen Kane of gaming, while not actually showing in any way how DW is like Citizen Kane...
If I remember correctly, Citizen Kane is considered a benchmark in film, a leap in cinematography that finally presented the film industry as a viable art form, yes?
Strange, then, how Jim says that its comparable to that because it does the opposite thing - by keeping to the old school and not moving with the times.
I'm not saying that thats a bad thing, and I recognise that DW aren't necessarily bad (if repetitive as a series), buuut it does seem odd to compare it to Citizen Kane...

As for the presentation of the show itself however, this is the best yet! I think before he was a bit too... subdued, in his 'overlord' character, which made him sound egotistical rather than funny. Now that he's gone full-blown insane with power-like character, its a lot more entertaining to watch XD

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Oh Jim, when I watched the first two episodes you ever produced on this site I went "meh". Now many months later, you are my favourite show on the Escapist, above Zero Puntaction and certainly the now absent Extra Credits, and so I'm delighted to see you'll be staying with us. This episode was one of your best so far and made me laugh a hell of a lot.

Truly, thank God for you.

goliath6711

May 3, 2010
Well think about this, Jim calls Dynasty Warriors the "Citizen Kane of Gaming", but he never told us what he thought of Citizen Kane.

I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game, but if you're comparing them to games like Final Fight and Streets of Rage (I like Final Fight, I LOVE Streets of Rage), then I may pick one up.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
AnotherAvatar said:
... There wasn't anything funny about his statement. Did you laugh when you read "Dynasty Warriors is the Citizen Kane of gaming"? If you did you have an odd sense of humor and I'd wager you'd be the only one. I'm very clear on the definition of a joke, I made a joke at the end relating Dynasty Warriors to Power Rangers (which you even sited, though you managed to cut off the part that... you know, had it make sense), jokes are about timing and amusement, and the best ones are about making an amusing and ACCURATE statement (unless you attend the Family Guy school of comedy, in which case you can fuck right off).

"Dynasty Warriors is the Citizen Kane of Gaming" is a statement, a rather inaccurate one I'd expect from a slack-jawed hick who's complete grasp on Citizen Kane was afforded to him by the Simpsons episode.

All I ask is that people think before they speak, especially if they're replying to my post, and if you're under the age of 18, then just don't bother.
Marsprobe wasn't the only one, I found the title funny too. Since I can see you've joined us recently, is this the first Jimquisition you've ever seen? It isn't meant to be taken 100% seriously by the way and silly "troll" titles such as this are common on this show. You're free not to find it amusing if you wish but that doesn't mean that it's not a joke.

Denariax

Nov 3, 2010
I never really watched the Jimquisition before now. Mind, I was intrigued by the title. I may have to watch him a lot more now.

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
JoJoDeathunter said:
AnotherAvatar said:

Marsprobe wasn't the only one, I found the title funny too. Since I can see you've joined us recently, is this the first Jimquisition you've ever seen? It isn't meant to be taken 100% seriously by the way and silly "troll" titles such as this are common on this show. You're free not to find it amusing if you wish but that doesn't mean that it's not a joke.
Fair enough. If that's his style of comedy then I'd have to be Nazi to claim it's wrong. If that's how you guys like to party far be it for me to rain it out, though you'll excuse me if I bail.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
What? LAST WEEK WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE LAST ONE? Oh, thank GOD that last week wasn't it. And thank GOD... for Jim.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
The thing about Dynasty Warriors is that i like it a bit, but it's more like a guilty pleasure i play every now and then as a bit of fun. What i will say is that i sort of wish they would use the potential of the gameplay and expand on it a bit more.

I mean, hell, i seriously wouldn't mind seeing this style of gameplay but set it in another time period: I mean, how awesome would it be to be say....Julius Caesar or Richard the Lionheart swinging an oversize two handed sword through waves upon waves of enemies? Admit it, you would play that!

Nov 12, 2010
Jim Sterling said:
IMHO: if it's mindless fun you're looking for - "Devil Kings" on PS2. Look no further. It's even dumber and campier than the DW saga. Combat is very slick and brutal. The characters are even more over the top than in DW and they actually have decent voice actors assigned to them. Looting is way better with so many cool items to loot. It also rewards you for playing on the hardest difficulty settings with higher drop rates. Even though the only character I could pull it off with was Frost, which is alright since he's my personal favorite anyways. Also "Devil Kings" is a stylish spectacle both in fighting (very closely resembling DMC) and aesthetics. I didn't care much for how DW looks in terms of its art.

The only thing that DW does better is its soundtrack, "Devil Kings" has a very forgettable one indeed. DW had great electro-metal tunes.

So no, I do not agree with you. "Devil Kings" is way better than DW alongside all the points you made about DW. Too bad I don't speak Japanese, I'd definitiely pick up the sequel to "Devil Kings" otherwise.

Infernai said:
...I mean, hell, i seriously wouldn't mind seeing this style of gameplay but set it in another time period: I mean, how awesome would it be to be say...
I believe there was a mecha-style spin-off. Not really a change in period, more in setting, but still.

P.S.: yeah, I thought I'd make myself clear on this - DW series wasn't really my thing. Since I played "Devil Kings" first, DW just felt very stale to me when I tried it later. I don't even remember which part it was, only that it was on PS2.

P.P.S.: hmm, I guess that makes me declare "Devil Kings" the "Citizen Kane of Gaming" then.

deckpunk

Apr 5, 2011
Nice one Jim, Dynasty Warriors is indeed the Citizen Kane of gaming. Long live the Jimquisition

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I fucking Love the Jimquisition! Also, having been away from certain gaming magazines for a while now, I didn't realize the Warriors series has been more or less snubbed when Toei is doing the same thing EA Sports does.

The last Dynasty Warriors I got though was the 4th for the Xbox. Other than that I've indulged in the spin-off titles like DW Gundam on the 360 and, Fist of the North Star, also on the 360. They're just as cathartic only instead of killing people/characters from Romance of the Three Kingdoms (a book I'm embarrassed to say I haven't finished reading) I'm killing off far more familiar characters like Char, Shin, Master Asia and, Raoh. My next DW purchase will likely be Samurai Warriors 3D on the 3DS. Still unsure why I haven't grabbed that one yet.

Long Live the Jimquisition!