Jimquisition: Dynasty Warriors Is The Citizen Kane Of Gaming

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Eh, I can understand the appeal of a cathartic beat-em-up, but if I was going to declare a 'Citizen Kane of gaming' I'd go for something with a bit of narrative weight behind it.

Also, I thought "games aren't movies, get over it", and that using terms like "Citizen Kane of gaming" were selling the medium short, remember [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/3075-Videogames-Are-Not-Movies-Get-Over-It]?

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
AnotherAvatar said:
... There wasn't anything funny about his statement. Did you laugh when you read "Dynasty Warriors is the Citizen Kane of gaming"? If you did you have an odd sense of humor and I'd wager you'd be the only one. I'm very clear on the definition of a joke, I made a joke at the end relating Dynasty Warriors to Power Rangers (which you even sited, though you managed to cut off the part that... you know, had it make sense), jokes are about timing and amusement, and the best ones are about making an amusing and ACCURATE statement (unless you attend the Family Guy school of comedy, in which case you can fuck right off).

"Dynasty Warriors is the Citizen Kane of Gaming" is a statement, a rather inaccurate one I'd expect from a slack-jawed hick who's complete grasp on Citizen Kane was afforded to him by the Simpsons episode.

All I ask is that people think before they speak, especially if they're replying to my post, and if you're under the age of 18, then just don't bother.
Well, no I didn't laugh when I read it. I did however laugh when Jim said it. If that means I have an odd sense of humour (or at least one that does not sync up with yours) then so be it. I'd be inclined to think however that I am not the only one that has an "odd" sense humour. But anyway, what is the most troubling thing about your post here I wonder? Basic intolerance, pointless swearing or what appears to be a particuarly virulent strain of agism?

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Great episode as always. But once again Jim appears to be battling a straw man entirely made up in his imagination. I don't think there is any uproar about how DW series aren't good games. They get mediocre reviews because they are formulaic and repetitive but you have to realize most non-yahtzee reviewers don't play though the game, just watch the intro and the first 10 minutes. Then they have to include the press release information their publisher requires them to include.

Notsomuch

Apr 22, 2009
The scene where Zhange He gives his speech and then flies off-screen like superman or Neo in the matrix is one of my favorite Cinematics in gaming. As for Daynasty Warriors, I'm more of a romance of the three kingdoms fan. I would be on board if they combined camp and Cinematic from Dynasty warriors with the Strategy and civ 5 style combat from rotk11. If that happened, that would probably be my game of the year.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Whee! Glad you'll be back next week, Jim. Nice to see you having so much fun.

Do you write the little description blurbs for your videos? Because this one made me laugh in a smug sort of highbrow way.

ShakenBake

Sep 6, 2011
People who complain that Dynasty Warriors is shallow are the reason why these days we get games that are overproduced, yet terribly linear with practically no replay value. The Dynasty Warriors series have way more gameplay than any of the overrated Call of Duty games with their railroading level designs that have you do nothing but button-mash through a 5 hour Michael Bay movie wannabe. The market is flooded with these mindless FPS games, yet people scorn Dynasty Warriors for committing the only sin of being actually fun and funny at the same time. When have gamers become such a bunch of mirthless douchebags?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
EverythingIncredible said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
EverythingIncredible said:
My beef with Dynasty Warriors is just that it is repetitive.
It's no more repetitive than most sports and shooter titles, though. and that was part of Jim's point, really. not to mention, the button-mashing elements of a LOT of action games these days. Prototype or God of War could have the same attribution with the same amount of honesty to the claims.

I wouldn't call it the Citizen Kane, but certainly it's the equivalent of your standard Kung Fu flick. I unabashedly enjoy myself a good beat-em-up in the same way I enjoy a solid martial arts flick, even if the movie is otherwise...Lacking. Do people get kicked and punched a lot? Yes? Good.
Personally I haven't played a sports or a shooter title in a long time. So I can't speak on that.
Actually DW is a lot more repetitive that shooters, sports games. It's literally the same era of history visited over and over. The same character. The same exact gameplay. The same maps, the same story every time.

There's a difference between games with good button mashing elements, and literally hitting the attack button until you have filled your special bar for the uber attack.

Sports games and shooters have changed in the last 10 years, DW has not.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
bringer of illumination said:
Also I think it's in very poor taste that the Escapist employs someone like Jim, who uses deliberately inflammatory language and engages in blatant nerd-baiting, when several articles on the site have denounced nerd-baiting as a cheap and mean-spirited way to get hits.
You fail at irony! Turn in your Smug Postmodernist Association badge immediately and return to the ranks of the proletariat, you vile pleb!

FWAA!

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Coming out of the closet to say Dynasty Warriors 4: Empires is one of the games that got me through university.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
12th_milkshake said:
i totally agree, it is the citizen Kane of gaming, Being largely shit and really dull, with stupid overtone of being more than it is.

RooooosseeeBUDD!
I'm pretty sure nobody in the history of the DW series took it or treated it as more than it was. They have played with it lovingly forever.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
Actually DW is a lot more repetitive that shooters, sports games. It's literally the same era of history visited over and over. The same character. The same exact gameplay. The same maps, the same story every time.
I think these are the lies Jim was referencing, so if you were trying to ironically point them out, then thank you.

Except the "same era of history" bit, which is adorable when saying it's more repetitive than shooters, who have a fetish for a couple specific and narrow time periods....

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
I gave this series a shot every once in a while but I'm really starting to dislike this guy.
I understand his trolling delivery and satire of internet personalities (God I hope he's being satirical) But he seems to lack likability and even a Lovable jerk quality like Yahtzee has.
I hate to be so negative but I honestly preferred Lisa Foils over this guy.
I kinda miss her.

Sir Prize

Dec 29, 2009
I like DW but wouldn't go as far as that.
But to all those who point at the 'it's the same thing' point, doesn't the same thing also apply to beat'em ups in general?
Sure, you add few extra modes and the odd super-powerful move here and there, but in the end you're still trying to beat some dude with button mashing. Soul Caliber, Tekken and Street Fighter all have the same problem DW apparantly has in that case.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
WOW an episode of Jim I actually liked... the only reason anyone ever started hating DW is because like Madden there is a new one every year and that doesn't even include the reskined clones like DW:GUNDAM.

If Koei adjusted their release schedule and made sure every game had at least 1 new feature or improvement that couldn't have been patched into the previous version people would certainly complain a lot less.

Nov 12, 2010
CriticKitten said:
Let's agree to disagree. I think the combat in all the DW games I played is pretty clunky. I like my combat to be fluent and "Devil Kings" surely delivers on that front.

Also, "Devil Kings" wasn't a knock-off of DW, but rather of the "Samurai Warriors" franchise (KOEI had nothing to do with it). But that's really beside the point, since you can argue as well that DW was a knock-off of "Streets of Rage", that in itself wouldn't make DW any less of a game. I know I'm going far here, but really, where does one draw a line? Next we'll be accusing HL to be a Doom-clone.

"Devil Kings" is even simpler than that: it drops the half-assed strategy, simplifies leveling by reducing the stats (still comes out better, there are a lot more special moves) and focuses more on the action. Since that's what mattered to Jim, I thought he should give that game a try and anyone that didn't try it should do too.

Yeah, also I couldn't care less if DW is being praised, that's called a "Bandwagon Argument", "Peer Pressure" or "Appeal to Common Practice". A fallacious argument. I.e.: the fact that DW is being praised does not make it better than "Devil Kings" in itself.

I liked what they tried to do with DW, seriously, mixing an action game and a war-game is a splendid idea. I love both genres. Yet DW suffers in execution and according to me a lot more could be done with that particular idea. Maybe I'd change my mind if I'd play the seventh game, but sadly I don't have a PS3 and I'm not planning on getting one any time soon.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I don't usually watch Jimquisition. Just not for me. Though I loves me some dynasty warriors. I was late to the party not getting on board until dw4. I love playing it with a friend especially. A human being in the same room as me. Something a lot of modern games don't understand.
Oh and

FOR SHU!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Indeed, grabbing my massive weapon and pounding the ever-loving shit out of it is how I like to relax too.

But well done to Jim for winning this round. (I think you've won more, but they'll come for me in my sleep if I say so....)

burymagnets

Nov 30, 2010
This episode seems to have been seriously controversial.

DYNASTY WARRIORS IS TEH SHIT!!

Though seriously I actually think that anyone who says they are all exactly the same simply hasn't played enough of them, DW7 is purely new content and its the biggest one yet: its got decent reviews for a reason.

I'm reminded of a terrible game that came out a few years ago called ninety-nine nights. The game was based on the same model, yet had only 7 characters, smaller movesets, more ineffectual soldiers, stupidly strong generals, terrible hit detection and it was as ugly as sin. Yet it scored higher than your usual dynasty warriors game simply because it wasn't in that series.

The games are really quite solid, and are just simple, engaging fun, yet people will still jump to needless persecution because of a mass concensus torwards their apparant poor quality.

The dynasty warriors series are clearly the Jewish community of games, and this forum is sounding like the 1940's.