Jimquisition: Dynasty Warriors Is The Citizen Kane Of Gaming

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Actually DW is a lot more repetitive that shooters, sports games. It's literally the same era of history visited over and over. The same character. The same exact gameplay. The same maps, the same story every time.
I think these are the lies Jim was referencing, so if you were trying to ironically point them out, then thank you.

Except the "same era of history" bit, which is adorable when saying it's more repetitive than shooters, who have a fetish for a couple specific and narrow time periods....
Having actually played these games, I can tell you that what I'm saying about DW is true. Koei has actually been making games in the "Romance of the 3 Kingdoms Era" or China for longer than WWII Shooters.

Koei has been using that setting since 1985.

The big lump of WW2 games didn't come until the mid-late 90s. I think it's adorable that people keep forgetting that.

DW used to be good up until the 5th installment. I'm sorry but when the move set animations look like stiff plastic on a current gen console, I think it's time for a significant update.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
Glad to see yer sticking around despite all the hate, dood. You've evolved from a "latest new series" to a highlight of my mondays (I still watch you after the LoadingReadyRun stuff, but that's nothing against you). Nothing like listening to a pudgy guy who's humorously full of himself rant on about a random video-game based topic. Here's to another fine season!

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
Woooo! Go Jim Go Jim Go Jim Go Jim!

I actually applauded at the end of this episode! Congratulations on being renewed and thank GOD for you indeed sir.

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
I've always loved the DW series, so thanks Jim! Also I agree that Mario is just one button, and yet everyone is nuts about it.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
You know what strikes me as odd. Professional reviewers and sites moan about a near yearly release of Dynasty Warrior games, and usually something new is introduced each time. But a not PEEP! about fucking Madden every damn year like clockwork.

EDIT: Also, I love the DW series as well, just to say. DW 4 for the PS2 is still my personal favorite. Lu Bu is a bastard, that is all.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
I'm safe because I didn't like Contra or Streets of Rage.
I have numerous friends at varying levels of gemer-ness who love Dynasty Warriors though. The mainstay for the past 2 or 3 years has been the Gundam/DW hybrids though, we prefer smashing robots to feudal peasants. Same great voice acting too.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Glad you're staying Jim. You really grew on me after I watched your youtube vids.

And I love DW. It's a brainless game done well. It's pure fun for me. Knowing that you've mowed down over 1000 men within 20 minutes makes me feel good :3

Yes it's not done much (and could do more) for innovation in the last few years, but it's still good. I plan to get the latest one, and possibly the one after that at some point.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I've watched a few eps of Jimquisition. He makes good points, but it's this episode has cemented me as a fan of his. He's probably the only game reviewer in the western world that doesn't just write off Koei games completely, and give them an arbitrarily low score.

The rewviers that gloss over DW tend to omit the changes made, and give low scores just tend to earn a level of eternal hatred that leaves me only tolerating them. They seriously need to get someone on staff that can frikking appreciate the game.

And like others before me have said, while Koei makes minor changes, and a major change now and then, and get bashed over it, a lot of other games get away with it, and game reviewers don't seem to mind. That's just hypocracy there!

I've enjoyed playing Romance of the three Kingdoms, and Nobunaga's Ambition since the NES days.

I've played Dynasty Warriors steadily since DW3, and enjoyed the hell out of the Gundam spinoffs.

I'm still eagerly awaiting Samurai Warriors to return to a system I have. :p

I will admit that the evoloution of Dynasty Warriors is a slow one with some experimentations here and there, but overall, the little changes are worth it IMO. Especially the LARGE CHANGE of having online, and a minor change in being able to use seige machines.

I also liked DW:Strikeforce. :p

So yeah, Jim has helped restore some of my faith in humanity. I'm still misanthropic here, but still!

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
I can understand you love Dinasty Warriot... But any of the reason you give are not enough to make it the Citizen kane... It would have to be impact full and intelligent and narativelly competant to be

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
FUCK YESS!!!! Thank you Jim. I too have been a fan of the series since Dynasty Warriors 2 and reveal in its mindless fun and i'm tired of seeing it get a 2 out of 10 from critics when its a game that i end up spending more time in than the latest AAA title.

Fun Fact: The Frist Dynasty Warriors was a head to head fighter...and a terrible one at that. I don't know what made them change tatics so drasticly but thank god they did.

dinggledoser

Aug 20, 2011
Sorry but Dynasty Warriors ain't no Spartan: Total Warrior.

oh yah, I also don't like how you're using the Jimquisition to ***** about how it annoys you that some people don't like the games you like.

dinggledoser

Aug 20, 2011
Sorry but Dynasty Warriors ain't no Spartan: Total Warrior.

oh yah, I also don't like how you're using the Jimquisition to ***** about how it annoys you that some people don't like the games you like.

alinos

Nov 18, 2009
Didn't realize there was so much hate towards this.

Anyone who invalidates someone else's opinion's because of something they like they are simply moron's

Jeremytroid

Jul 10, 2011
This video REALLY made me want to go buy Dynasty Warriors now. I very strongly remember Dynasty Warriors as a top-down RTS for some reason.